Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Villa 5/1 worth a bet imo also villa ht/ft 10/1 might be worth a bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5790205,00.html

what do we think lads ? There's the free option sorted anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Could be the ideal short term option, but how often does Arsene do pragmatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

When are Arsenal going to play their game in hand lads?

Its against Bolton in January iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yup. We play them twice in the space of a week or something stupid like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

hblock21 wrote: »
    When are Arsenal going to play their game in hand lads?
    Jan 06th 2010

and then we play them away on the 17th the weekend after the Everton game.

I dunno why, but i hate playing a team twice in such quick succession. Sure fire way to drop points as it tends to add a little bit of edge to the tie as the weaker team looks to save face...

I'm quietly confident of 6 points from playing Bolton. I'm really looking forward to just getting this "game in hand" out of the way, so we look at the table properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I'm quietly confident of 6 points from playing Bolton. I'm really looking forward to just getting this "game in hand" out of the way, so we look at the table properly

agreed it's too easy to look at the table and just add on the three points one presumes we'll get from the game in hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5791964,00.html

Kroenke ups his stake to 29.9, just 0.1 short of autmoatic takeover bid. How long will it be before he goes for it would you reckon?

Do Arsenal fans want this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

deisedevil wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5791964,00.html

Kroenke ups his stake to 29.9, just 0.1 short of autmoatic takeover bid. How long will it be before he goes for it would you reckon?

I'd think it will happen over the course of the next couple of months, I'd think i'd be done by the end of the season. I have faith in the board at Arsenal, and they seem to be backing this guy over Alisher Usmanov, so I'm with them and I will support Kroenke when the takeover happens

But I would rather nobody take over the club, as I am pretty happy with how its being run, and how it has been run over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'd think it will happen over the course of the next couple of months, I'd think i'd be done by the end of the season. I have faith in the board at Arsenal, and they seem to be backing this guy over Alisher Usmanov, so I'm with them and I will support Kroenke when the takeover happens

But I would rather nobody take over the club, as I am pretty happy with how its being run, and how it has been run over the years

+1. I like the way that we are not run by one person or a couple of business partners would be sad to see it change, but I'd have to side with the boards decision :)

deisedevil wrote: »

A takeover of some kind seems inevitable. The old guard are gradually falling away so it will come from somewhere given the profile of the club.

Personally, I see no reason to doubt Kroenke. Bit like the Glazer's, I think he sees this purely as a commercial investment and wont interfere too much in on pitch matters. It will depend of course on how he finances his takeover (Arsenal cannot afford to saddle another couple hundred million of debt on top of the stadium loans), but so far he's only had a positive impact on the club imo and seems to use his position on the board to reinforce the traditions of the club. Whether that was simply a political ploy to gain him access to shares, only time will tell.

The alternative is Usmanov. Granted, he could plough a few hundred million into the club overnight without batting an eyelid, however I think it's pretty clear Usmanov is only using his stake in Arsenal to raise his profile the same way Shinawatra, Gaydamek, the Abu Dhabi and a few other less savoury individuals are doing with football clubs these days. The way Usmanov conducted his attempts of takeover are so out of character it has to be a front. Anyway, regardless, it will simply lead to the same shenanigans as are going on at City and Chelsea and most Arsenal fans do not want to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

The alternative is Usmanov. Granted, he could plough a few hundred million into the club overnight without batting an eyelid, however I think it's pretty clear Usmanov is only using his stake in Arsenal to raise his profile the same way Shinawatra, Gaydamek, the Abu Dhabi and a few other less savoury individuals are doing with football clubs these days. The way Usmanov conducted his attempts of takeover are so out of character it has to be a front. Anyway, regardless, it will simply lead to the same shenanigans as are going on at City and Chelsea and most Arsenal fans do not want to see that.

That really is a nightmare scenario, I would hate to see it happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I think it's pretty clear Usmanov is only using his stake in Arsenal to raise his profile the same way Shinawatra, Gaydamek, the Abu Dhabi and a few other less savoury individuals are doing with football clubs these days
    I know what you're saying but I do think there's been a bit of a xenophobic undercurrent to a lot of the coverage of Usmanov, compared to media treatment of Kroenke. Granted, Kroenke seems to be better advised so far but while we've no obvious reason to fear him, we've no reason to be jumping for joy either.

Also, remember that while a takeover bid might soon have to be made, it might not be successful. I personally wouldn't mind if it wasn't, though I don't want to see a two-owner system wracked with tension either.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5790205,00.html

what do we think lads ? There's the free option sorted anyway
    Link is dead now - who was it referring to?

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Link is dead now - who was it referring to?
    Luca Toni available on a free transfer or loan iirc?

Luca Toni,

bayern ready to cut their losses and let him leave on a free

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying but I do think there's been a bit of a xenophobic undercurrent to a lot of the coverage of Usmanov...

Hey now, I didn't even mention the alleged fraud, racketeering and drug trafficking connections associated with this guy. Not to mention he's paid an army of lawyers to keep these allegations out of the mainstream media.

There seems to be good reason for that 'xenophobia' if someone is willing to go to so much lengths to hide it imo. Surely it would be easier to disprove it by producing hard evidence to the contrary instead of going directly after the webhosts of such content :rolleyes:

Agreed. There are very good reasons why many Gooners are greatly concerned about Usmanov. I'd like the ownership of the club to remain split but if I had to choose one I'd choose Kroenke. He goes about his business discreetly which is the Arsenal way and he seems to be a genuine sports enthusiast and not purely a businessman out to make a buck - although he is shrewd. Ivan Gazidis has been a huge hit since arriving and it appears he has a good relationship with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hey now, I didn't even mention the alleged fraud, racketeering and drug trafficking connections associated with this guy. Not to mention he's paid an army of lawyers to keep these allegations out of the mainstream media.

There seems to be good reason for that 'xenophobia' if someone is willing to go to so much lengths to hide it imo. Surely it would be easier to disprove it by producing hard evidence to the contrary instead of going directly after the webhosts of such content :rolleyes:

did you see that Panorama report about usmanov

it was very enlightening

Headshot wrote: »
    did you see that Panorama report about usmanov

it was very enlightening

No actually, when was this aired? might it be on their site?

No actually, when was this aired? might it be on their site?

it was a small segment at the beginning of panorama

for the life of me I cant find it at the moment

it was a small segment at the beginning of panorama

for the life of me I cant find it at the moment

stupid me

it was on Dispatches

episode called
    Lords, Billionaires and the Russian Connection

here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=686rcGyBNUY

• Advertisement

Well Kroenke would be my prefered choice, admittedly it's due to me reading arseblog and the way usmanov is portrayed. However stan is a business man and the american links with gadiz who has taken his job at the emirates so well gives me the confidence in stan kroenke.

Cheers for that, it seems he comes to the exact same conclusions as most Arsenal bloggers who've been targeted by Usmanov's lawyers. Strange that that Channel 4 are still broadcasting though given past precedent. It must be because they can afford to hire a lawyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »

Robbing Peter to pay Paul if you ask me!

Definitely worth it though, we can probably haggle and reduce the £30m it may cost to buy out the contract but, could receive up to £120m (£90m extra which would be worth an additional £15m a season :eek:).

Can't believe our deal is so poor in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The reason those deals, actually all our deals with Nike, emirates etc were that poor is that they were all front loaded. These sponsors had to put a huge lump sum in place at the initial stage of the contract so that we have finance and stability for the stadium. Now that the stadium is done, revenue is stable these are ticking over nicely its time for

money_2.jpg

the free webchat with Wenger is on now.

http://www.arsenal.com/freewengerwebchat

edit: It's all a bit light tbh, not very interesting. Now talking about who designs the matchday suit...

edit 2: briefly touched on potential transfers. He didn't give much away other than to say he would consider a cup tied player...

he's "studied a little bit Spanish" and to live there wouldn't take (much). :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wengar must hate Delap. Wants to change throw ins to kick ins.

Hey now, I didn't even mention the alleged fraud, racketeering and drug trafficking connections associated with this guy.
    Oh I'm not saying he's whiter than white, just that there doesn't seem to be the same desire to bring Kroenke's background under the microscope. The Soviet regime and break-up were very messy and ethical standards were vastly different. The origins of Abramovich's big contracts are similarly shady but it seems to be glossed over a lot.

I guess my main point was that the coverage/reputation of Usmanov makes Kroenke the 'well if I had to choose one...' fallback choice, though nobody's that sure why they'd actually want him in charge otherwise.

This Young Guns piece is the only attempt I've seen to make a case for him and it seems worryingly like a Kroenke press release - since when is Denver the sports capital of the US for instance?

Split ownership please...

though nobody's that sure why they'd actually want him in charge otherwise.

But you don't even need to look towards his alleged criminal activity to be entirely put off by him. As I said in my first post, if you compare the behaviour of the two over the past two years there's a much better case for Kroenke. Usmanov has been very vocal about the 'failings' of the club, some of his statements would appear to completely undermine Wenger's leadership and favour the 'Perez' style hollywood signings. He will attempt to buy success while completely ignoring the traditions of the club and everything Wenger has worked for.

On the other hand, Kroenke has kept very low profile, seemingly backed Wenger and the traditions of the club at every opportunity and was invited onto the board by the old guard. As fans, we will never know the inside story fully, but that's about as good a case for Kroenke as you will get. Plus he has no criminal convictions. ;)
    Split ownership please...

I don't think this is as good as people make out. You could end up like Liverpool in house fighting, lack of financial direction, players worried about their futures etc. etc. Arsenal were very very lucky with how the old arrangement worked, largely because so many people were on the same page.

Now you have the situation where Usmanov and Kroenke are battling it out and the two of them duking it out over Bracewell Smith's shares... As the old guard drop out one by one things could get ugly if the status-quo remains, the club will end up in the hands of two people with completely different opinions on how it should work and could enter a period of stagnation until one pushes the other out.

if you compare the behaviour of the two over the past two years there's a much better case for Kroenke.
    But that's my point - Kroenke only looks good when compared to Usmanov, whereas he's an unknown when we consider him in his own right. Yes, he seems accepted by the board, etc. but a certain amount of that has to be due to the original hostile Usmanov move, when he bought in with Dein fronting Red&White. Kroenke might work out fine, but I'd imagine we'd be interrogating his shareholding a lot more if the other big stake was held by Richard Branson or whoever rather than Usmanov.
    I don't think this is as good as people make out. You could end up like Liverpool in house fighting
    By split ownership, I meant a continuation of the current situation. My first post already said that I don't want a two-owner system where there's tension between the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone know what the punishment will be for arsenal & Hull for not controlling there players I'm not old enough to remeber but back in 1990 didn't arsenal and man u get a points deduction or is this a different case?

Arsenal where deducted 2 points and man u 1 point

Anyone know what the punishment will be for arsenal & Hull for not controlling there players I'm not old enough to remeber but back in 1990 didn't arsenal and man u get a points deduction or is this a different case?

Arsenal where deducted 2 points and man u 1 point

What exactly are you referring to? Haven't there been numerous cases since where only fines have been handed out?

jasonorr wrote: »
    What exactly are you referring to? Haven't there been numerous cases since where only fines have been handed out?
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5795363,00.html
    FA charge Gunners & Tigers

I don't remeber the FA ever charging them with this before i was just wondering what kind of punishment it would be because it could have a huge effect if it was a points deduction especially for hull as it could be the difference between staying up and going down

I don't remeber the FA ever charging them with this before i was just wondering what kind of punishment it would be because it could have a huge effect if it was a points deduction especially for hull as it could be the difference between staying up and going down

No chance of points deduction imo, I'm surprised both clubs have been charged, I hope we will see consistency for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

No chance of points deduction imo, I'm surprised both clubs have been charged, I hope we will see consistency for the rest of the season.
    Ah hear now thats as likely as me not eating all the mince pies this christmas:pac:

Ah hear now thats as likely as me not eating all the mince pies this christmas:pac:

:D

We have been involved in some big bust ups on the pitch down through the years, anyone remember Norwich at Highbury back in around 1991.

Not a hope in hell of a points deduction. Not much happened really, definitely nothing worse than what happens once or twice every other season. When was the last time a Premier League team got deducted points and what was it for? We've been involved in worse with United a couple of times!

Not a hope in hell of a points deduction. Not much happened really, definitely nothing worse than what happens once or twice every other season. When was the last time a Premier League team got deducted points and what was it for? We've been involved in worse with United a couple of times!

As far as I know it was us and Utd, we got deducted 2 points utd 1, we still went on to win the league that year despite this and Tony Adams extended holiday.

As far as I know it was us and Utd, we got deducted 2 points utd 1, we still went on to win the league that year despite this and Tony Adams extended holiday.

I don't think we were deducted points in the Premier League though? Last time was 97 anyway!

I don't think we were deducted points in the Premier League though? Last time was 97 anyway!

No the old Division 1, are you sure a premier league team have been deducted points, certainly wasn't for a brawl though.

No the old Division 1, are you sure a premier league team have been deducted points, certainly wasn't for a brawl though.

Yeah, it was Boro for cancelling a match or something!

Yeah, it was Boro for cancelling a match or something!

Thats right, didn't they get relegated that season.

Thats right, didn't they get relegated that season.

Yeah, would have stayed up only for the deduction!

• Advertisement

Yeah, would have stayed up only for the deduction!

I vaguely remember that. Was it them that had only 6 or 7 outfield players fit and the league deducted them because they didn't play the youth team?

it was an odd decision anyway because had they turned up the referee would have had to make them forfeit the game...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement