Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Redzer7 wrote: »

There's no way he'll play Wednesday, not a hope. He's only back training today sure

He could come on as a sub?

edit/
    "I hope to be able to make my comeback against Bolton on January 17th, the day after my birthday

Papa Smut wrote: »
    He could come on as a sub?

I really hope he isn't even in the squad.

He's been injured for two months and Eduardo seems to have found some sort of goalscoring form. Why risk aggravating Bendtners injury for the sake of ten minutes?

His own target of Bolton on the 17th is a much more realistic one.

did a very slooow ninja edit there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Read it wrong :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Merida would, in the medium term be battling for Wilshire, Nasri and Arshavin for a place on either wing so may never have become a regular; although with this Arsenal squad anyone who stays fit is a regular.

Thought he played well in the carling cup against Liverpool. Perhaps he was disappointed that will all the injures he still couldn't get a place until the FA Cup game.

We know how much 3.2m is to Wenger so he'll be annoyed to not have gotten any of that back.

Frustrating to see Fabregas out until the end of the month. Wenger must get so frustrated that his great side doesn't get a chance to shine for longer than a few games at a time. We need Fabregas back for the big 4-in-a-row at the end of January/start of February.

Not too excited about Bendtner returning, would rather see Eduardo continue his decent form up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Frustrating to see Fabregas out until the end of the month.

Where are you getting that from? I thought he was in line for a return in the Everton game but perhaps it might come too quickly and the Bolton game on the 17th was more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Any chance of Sky showing our game now that the Carling Cup semi is postponed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

The Arsenal thread poster leaderboard:
    09/10 - Total Posts: 2,629 

Frisbee                265 
    jasonorr               188 
    Galvasean              176 
    Redzer7                137 
    OPENROAD               108
    Royale with Cheese     77 
    cson                   76 
    gosplan                73 
    yahoo_moe              65 
    Paleface               65 

08/09 - Total Posts: 6,398 

Frisbee                674 
    Galvasean              509 
    Pepe LeFrits           365 
    jasonorr               323 
    yahoo_moe              314 
    DenMan                 299 
    OPENROAD               292 
    Royale with Cheese     272 
    leninbenjamin          220 
    gosplan                180 

07/08 - Total Posts: 4,258 

Pepe LeFrits           532 
    Galvasean              298 
    AnCapaillMor           268 
    gosplan                235 
    PHB                    213 
    Royale with Cheese     189 
    OPENROAD               186 
    leninbenjamin          142 
    cson                   123 
    Mossy Monk             100

What I get from that:

Frisbee = Chelsea (a relative latecomer to the upper reaches of the table but hasn't been shifted since making the breakthrough)

jasonorr = Arsenal (the ability to post when it mattered just about secured 4th place for him last year but looks like improving on that in 2010)

Galvasean = Man Utd (consistently battling for top honours in each of the last few seasons but have fallen behind Arsenal this year :), often taking merely a post when 3 seemed more suitable)

Redzer7 = Birmingham (high-flying newcomers, coincidentally managed by a 'redser' of their own... could be a dream first season if he can keep it up)

OPENROAD = Man City (safely clear of the relegation zone for the past few seasons and moving into contention for a boards.eu spot this year - still a dubious honour to be given though)

Pepe LeFrits = Leeds (the reckless posting that pushed him into the upper reaches for a few glorious years has now come home to roost. Still capable of great posting on his day, and could be set for a good run in a less prestigious contest like the FA Cup... I mean Boards.ie Arsenal Community)

Royale with Cheese = Blackburn (consistently mid-table and could still make the European spots with a late haul of posts)

cson = West Ham (up and down in recent years and look to have a struggle on his hands to avoid relegation this year. But Jack Wilshere likes him a lot so it's okay.)

gosplan = Bolton (pre-2008 successes have given way to a struggle for survival in recent seasons. Sorry gosplan, but someone had to get Bolton!)

Me = Portsmouth (upper mid-table last year but serious financial difficulties have taken their toll since then. Hmm, that's actually pretty accurate...

Paleface = Wolves (a welcome addition to the top flight but has to start turning 1 post into 3 if he's to survive at this level)

DenMan = Wigan (solidly mid-table last year but nobody's really sure where he is in the table this year)

AnCapaillMor = Middlesbrough (one great season that will always be remembered but not much to smile about since)

Mossy Monk = Derby (rooted to the bottom a couple of years ago and hasn't been seen since)

leninbenjamin = Newcastle (considered too good to go down but... well, the table doesn't lie)

• Advertisement

There is nothing on the official site about it and no actual quotes specifically about Fabregas in that article. Just quotes from Bendtner.

Hopefully its just headline grabbing stuff.

Edit: The official site confirms the Bolton game on the 17th as the likely return for our captain fantastic!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arshavin-and-denilson-fit-for-bolton-clash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    jasonorr = Arsenal (the ability to post when it mattered just about secured 4th place for him last year but looks like improving on that in 2010)

Wahey, Arsenal through and through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

We know how much 3.2m is to Wenger so he'll be annoyed to not have gotten any of that back.

Hmmm... he's under 20 and by the sounds of it has rejected a contract offer from Arsenal, maybe I'm raving but I don't think the Bosman applies in this case? I thought you had to be over 24 to be allowed go on a free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Arsenal thread poster leaderboard:
    09/10 - Total Posts: 2,629 

Frisbee                265 
    jasonorr               188 
    Galvasean              176 
    Redzer7                137 
    OPENROAD               108
    Royale with Cheese     77 
    cson                   76 
    gosplan                73 
    yahoo_moe              65 
    Paleface               65 

08/09 - Total Posts: 6,398 

Frisbee                674 
    Galvasean              509 
    Pepe LeFrits           365 
    jasonorr               323 
    yahoo_moe              314 
    DenMan                 299 
    OPENROAD               292 
    Royale with Cheese     272 
    leninbenjamin          220 
    gosplan                180 

07/08 - Total Posts: 4,258 

Pepe LeFrits           532 
    Galvasean              298 
    AnCapaillMor           268 
    gosplan                235 
    PHB                    213 
    Royale with Cheese     189 
    OPENROAD               186 
    leninbenjamin          142 
    cson                   123 
    Mossy Monk             100

Should I be proud of myself?
    What I get from that:
    Galvasean = Man Utd

F#ck you! :mad:

j/k, great post.

Aw, poopy pants. He better be fit for the United game!

Apparently, Wenger wants to bring someone in 'as soon as possible'
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-want-to-buy-as-soon-as-possible

So.. AOB... Hmmmm.... Are we ever gonna do a gooners fans meet up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That end of January run is going to be horrible.

We face Villa, United, Chelsea and Liverpool in the space of ten days.

Then Porto in the Champions League, God I hope Cameroon fall apart...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Haha yep no wonder Wenger doesn't care about the FA Cup anymore. Still, as least if we are still in touch - maybe only a couple of points off - after all those games then we know we have a great chance with none of the big 4 left to play - the 7 or so games after that are all very winnable.

Really hope Fabregas and Song come back and hopefully no more injuries to key players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats the latest on Fabregas ?

• Advertisement

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/unsung-denilson-will-replace-song

An answer at last, the one I expected aswell tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »

Didn't expect anyone to be brought in either but, I don't think he can do the same job. We'll really miss Song in this period...I hate the ANC!!!

He won't replace Song, no. Different kind of player entirely.

But it's the closest we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

you know im quite happy that denilson will step up. imo he's really improved over the last season and a half and has developed into a tidy little player. he may not have the physicality of Song but he will do a solid job imo.

also its incredible to think he's played over 150 matches in the Premiership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Incredible alright. If some of these younger lads stick around Tony adams' record might be in trouble (504 league appearances).

I'd say denilson and Diaby will probably switch between offense and defence during games. Keep opposition teams on their toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kirnsy wrote: »
    you know im quite happy that denilson will step up. imo he's really improved over the last season and a half and has developed into a tidy little player. he may not have the physicality of Song but he will do a solid job imo.

also its incredible to think he's played over 150 matches in the Premiership!

That can't be right. Thats 30 games a season for 5 years!!! Has he really been around that long and playing first choice or am I cracking up!? Surely 50 would be more like it?

Edit: According to wiki hes been at Arsenal since 2006 and has 68 appearances in all competitions. Sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Galvasean wrote: »
    Incredible alright. If some of these younger lads stick around Tony adams' record might be in trouble (504 league
    ... what record is that?

DOL has the most appearances for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

flahavaj wrote: »
    That can't be right. Thats 30 games a season for 5 years!!! Has he really been around that long and playing first choice or am I cracking up!? Surely 50 would be more like it?

Edit: According to wiki hes been at Arsenal since 2006 and has 68 appearances in all competitions. Sounds about right.

That's 68 premier league appearances. Over 100 in all competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Cool, still way off the 150 league games in the article. At that rate he was headed for a Ryan Giggs type appearance record before the age of 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wonder what possibilty our game against Bolton will be called off.

We could do with getting this game in hand out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

flahavaj wrote: »

you're right don't know how I accepted that quote :confused:

that would mean he's been first choice since 16 or so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Is Cesc fit for Everton game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fran Merida has signed for Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ush1 wrote: »
    Fran Merida has signed for Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.
    Source?

From Arsenal.com
    At the start of November Arsène Wenger revealed that Fran had verbally agreed a new deal at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Does anybody know if the match is on TV? Was thinking about a few midweek pints to watch it...

Quazzie wrote: »
    Source?

From Arsenal.com

Ah it might be nonsense, says it's gonna happen at the end of the season, from a Spanish radio station:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/01/05/1727720/atletico-madrid-sign-juventus-midfielder-tiago-arsenal

"It is also reported that 19-year-old Arsenal starlet Fran Merida has signed a four-year deal with the club. The former Barcelona youth team player will join on a free transfer at the end of his current deal with the Gunners, which expires at the end of June."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Quazzie wrote: »
    Source?

From Arsenal.com

Quote:
    At the start of November Arsène Wenger revealed that Fran had verbally agreed a new deal at Arsenal.
    Verbal agreements - not worth the paper they're written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

This is what Wenger had to say at the press conference yesterday when asked if Merida has signed to Athletico or not
    I don't know, but I fear the worst. I am a bit disappointed if he has.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ah it might be nonsense, says it's gonna happen at the end of the season, from a Spanish radio station:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/01/05/1727720/atletico-madrid-sign-juventus-midfielder-tiago-arsenal

"It is also reported that 19-year-old Arsenal starlet Fran Merida has signed a four-year deal with the club. The former Barcelona youth team player will join on a free transfer at the end of his current deal with the Gunners, which expires at the end of June."

Despite what's being reported in some places there has been no confirmation of this anywhere, for the moment at least. However, from Arsene's words on the issue, it looks likely:
    I don't know, but I fear the worst. I am a bit disappointed if he has.

Seems Merida has gone behind everyone's back on this.

edit: beaten to it. lol.

edit edit: 7000'th post! w00t!

It's gonna happen so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I can understand his move. He's 19 and wants to play regular football.

Sad to see him go, but I can't really fault his decision other than being sneaky about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Yeah, official site has him at 69 PL appearances and 105 in all competitions. So either Wenger's wrong (:eek:) or lying (:mad:) or the guy typing up the article for the site mixed up the "0" and the "5". Still wouldn't explain why Arsene said PL though, as it's 105 in all comps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Well there goes my wet dream idea of Verm in the DMF role breaking up the play ;)

Looking forward with anticipation to those crunch games at the end. Feeling very optimistic

Yeah, official site has him at 69 PL appearances and 105 in all competitions. So either Wenger's wrong (:eek:) or lying (:mad:) or the guy typing up the article for the site mixed up the "0" and the "5". Still wouldn't explain why Arsene said PL though, as it's 105 in all comps...

Tbh, Arsene was just trying to make the point that Denilson has lots of games under his belt, which he has, regardless of whether the numbers are correct.

Btw, Wenger is a stats freak, he has so many numbers running around his head that it's hard not to make a mistake once in a while.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I wonder what possibilty our game against Bolton will be called off.

We could do with getting this game in hand out of the way.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-v-bolton-wanderers-update

So far looks like it will be going ahead.

Nice. Im suprised Sky aren't showing it, now that the other games are postponed

thorbarry wrote: »
    Nice. Im suprised Sky aren't showing it, now that the other games are postponed

If they did I'd say they'd lose the rights to show those games when they are replayed, so what would you rather have (from a broadcaster POV):

Arsenal vs Bolton
    City vs United

If they did I'd say they'd lose the rights to show those games when they are replayed, so what would you rather have (from a broadcaster POV):

Arsenal vs Bolton
    City vs United

ahh i see. So its just not as simple as showing the game, gotchya ;)

thorbarry wrote: »
    ahh i see. So its just not as simple as showing the game, gotchya ;)

Well I'm not sure.

That's just a guess on my part :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Surely theyre will be a stream online, what times ko?

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Surely theyre will be a stream online, what times ko?

Ah yeha there will be a stream alright

KO 7:45

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement