Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

shano_88 wrote: »
    Surely theyre will be a stream online, what times ko?

ah there will be yea, it's just a bit poxy watching a crappy quality one online, but sure it will do, I cant really complain when its free :) Kick off is at 7:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Is the game on the tellybox now that the League Cup game is off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Is the game on the tellybox now that the League Cup game is off?

Nope, still just streams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seems it's starting to snow more heavily in London now. Better go ahead, the last thing we need is more fixture congestion further along the line.

playa3 wrote: »
    Seems it's starting to snow more heavily in London now. Better go ahead, the last thing we need is more fixture congestion further along the line.

I wouldn't be suprised if it gets called off now.

I've been keeping an eye on the weather in London and it's getting worse fast.

God Damn it, now what am I going to do, I'm snowed in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Well there goes my wet dream idea of Verm in the DMF role breaking up the play ;)

Then who would play in centre back? Silvestre? lol

Denilson played there most of last season and did ok. Obviously not very physical but its not the end of the world.

Then who would play in centre back? Silvestre? lol

Your supposed to meld them into one word for better effect.

Silvestlol

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Link
    Mourinho wrote:
    Patrick will say goodbye to us.

He will surely miss us. I don't know where he will go. The club thought not to turn down his request to leave. This would have been the last year of his contract.

Where he will go? I said I don't know. In my opinion he will go to England, even if there is the possibility also he could go to France.

I wish him every happiness.

According to SSN a deal with Citeh is all but finalised

I'm surprised more people aren't calling for another centre back. We seen what Silvestlol can do against West Ham in the cup. Senderos hasn't been rotated into the side at all this season and I don't remember him being on the bench much which suggests Wenger no longer rates him. And I can't find any information on when Djorou will be back.

If anything happens Vermaelen or Gallas (which, inevitably it will) any hope of winning the league could be wiped out.

• Advertisement

I love the way Mourinho says "he will miss us" rather than "we will miss him" like any manager would say haha. Presumably he's happy to see the back of him.

Obviously Vieria hasn't played much lately so I have no idea if he's still good or the right player for Arsenal or City although Mancini managed Inter Milan before so maybe he sees some potential left in him. Don't how he will fit in alonside Barry and Ireland - presumably 4-5-1 formation but they have so many strikers that wouldn't suit them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think it's more people being resigned to Wenger not buying a CB(unless Senderos actually leaves) than not wanting one.

I'm surprised more people aren't calling for another centre back. We seen what Silvestlol can do against West Ham in the cup. Senderos hasn't been rotated into the side at all this season and I don't remember being on the bench much which suggests Wenger no longer rates him. And I can't find any information on when Djorou will be back.

If anything happens Vermaelen or Gallas (which, inevitably it will) any hope of winning the league could be wiped out.

CB is where we need a player more than anything.

Gallas + Verm are a great partnership.

Although, if we're honest, Gallas has at most one more good season of top competitive football in him.

Djourou is injury prone, but good back up, not good enough for the first team.

We should try bring in a CB now or in the summer to play understudy to Gallas so he's ready to take over from him in the 11/12 season.

No idea what Nordveit is like a she hasn't been at the club in two years or so now, but if the hype surrounding him is correct, he'll be another good backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Frisbee wrote: »
    CB is where we need a player more than anything.

Gallas + Verm are a great partnership.

Although, if we're honest, Gallas has at most one more good season of top competitive football in him.

Djourou is injury prone, but good back up, not good enough for the first team.

We should try bring in a CB now or in the summer to play understudy to Gallas so he's ready to take over from him in the 11/12 season.

No idea what Nordveit is like a she hasn't been at the club in two years or so now, but if the hype surrounding him is correct, he'll be another good backup.

Your right there Frisbee....we should be looking at the womens team for a good center back. We have the best team in Europe and I for one would love to see our lovely ladies togging out and playing for the mens senior team. I wholeheartedly support this idea. Nice one. :)

Just after I wrote that I came across this:

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Arsenal-prepared-to-offer-Sol-Campbell-short-term-deal/4756/

I though Djorou did well couple of times I seen him last season.

As for; "we are all resigned to Wenger not signing one;" well the thing is I'm not looking for a big-name signing; but a typical Wenger signing - 4 or 5m, just a squad player for the time being which is why its more realistic.

Its the one area we don't have any youngsters coming through who can cover; well apart from Nordveidt, but a 19-year old centre back getting a run in the Arsenal first team - not very likely any time soon (anyway he is on loan with Nurnberg until the summer).

I'm surprised more people aren't calling for another centre back. We seen what Silvestlol can do against West Ham in the cup. Senderos hasn't been rotated into the side at all this season and I don't remember him being on the bench much which suggests Wenger no longer rates him. And I can't find any information on when Djorou will be back.

I gave up demanding players be bought in certain positions a long time ago!

Haha I was just thinking about how the media seem to be emphasising how much we need a new first choice striker but it is unlikely we will get one better than Eduardo, Vela, Bendtner or Arshavin when he plays there. A reliable centre back is more likey.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ffs, Paddy can't go to City. Sickening.

I really don't think he'll be good enough for the EPL anymore.

If he was at the height of his game I'd be angry, but I have a feeling it may just be sad to watch.

Why do you care - they aren't exactly big rivals! Its a good move for Paddy - what do you want him to do - rot on the City bench? If Mancini thinks he'll add something to their team it suits everyone.

I'm sure Wenger had his chance to bring him back and didn't take it, or wouldn't anyway.

• Advertisement

He won't be the same player he was but he'd still be useful to have around, particularly with our paucity of DM options and tendency towards injuries. His experience would be valuable.

... and it'd prevent the sickening sight of seeing him in another PL team's jersey, especially Man Citys. Seeing Kolo line up in Sky Blue alongside the lanky p***k is bad enough as it is!

He won't be the same player he was but he'd still be useful to have around, particularly with our paucity of DM options and tendency towards injuries. His experience would be valuable.

... and it'd prevent the sickening sight of seeing him in another PL team's jersey, especially Man Citys. Seeing Kolo line up in Sky Blue alongside the lanky p***k is bad enough as it is!

I have to agree with the second part of this. I remember watching City's first game of the season out in my mates house and seeing the lads in the City jersey, Kolo in particular, hurt.

I agree but my understanding is Wenger wasn't interested, i don't think Vieria chose Man City over Arsenal, unless there is something we don't know about behind the scenes.

I have to agree with the second part of this. I remember watching City's first game of the season out in my mates house and seeing the lads in the City jersey, Kolo in particular, hurt.

I just kept thinking "kaching, £40m baby" :D I don't mind seeing him going to City, I don't think we're competing with them (at the moment at least) for top 4. Add to that the fact that he's 33, has injury problems and also has competition for his place, I don't think he'd be much more than backup to be honest! Also, I don't think any of us wanted him, be it the fans or Wenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I have really mixed feelings about this. On one side I'd like to see him back in the premiership but on the other side I'm very sceptical if he's actually going to be up for it or not.

If he had anything decent to offer Wenger would have made a move for him before now surely.

I agree but my understanding is Wenger wasn't interested, i don't think Vieria chose Man City over Arsenal, unless there is something we don't know about behind the scenes.
    Oh it's Arsene I'm unhappy with over this, not Paddy. If we didn't offer him a deal then there's not a lot he can do.

Silvestre is only a year younger than Paddy and Arsene is talking about giving him a new deal. wtf like?

Haha fair enough but I'm sure Vieira's wage demands are more than Silvestre. Although I agree offering Silvestre a new contract probably is a bit silly.

We also don't know if Vieria is still good enough or not, although I have a feeling Mancini with his Inter Milan connections knows more than Wenger. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Haha I was just thinking about how the media seem to be emphasising how much we need a new first choice striker but it is unlikely we will get one better than Eduardo, Vela, Bendtner or Arshavin when he plays there. A reliable centre back is more likey.

being honest i can't see anyone coming in really.

Goalkeeper
    we have a few good prospects here with fabianski and mannone upping the stakes for Almunia this season. this has culminated with Almunia's drop in form but remember he was having personal problems off the field and Wenger isn't going to suddenly buy in a new keeper in January. As well as those options we have a young man by the name of Szynzcy (no idea how to spell) who is on loan at brentford (afaik) and he is apparently the real deal.

Defence
    i think wenger sees Djourou as a really good player i the future and nordveit as frisbee mentioned is an outstanding prospect if reports are true. there are no real options available to buy in January other than perhaps Upson but Wenger has passed him up on a few occasions at this point and i can't see Upson being happy to play second string to Gallas and the Verm.

Midfield
    Yes song is leaving for a month but Wenger has already decided Denilson will cover there. I think Denilson willl be fine. Not as physical as Song but will be helped by Diaby's physicality. We have Coquelin coming through the ranks but IMO Wenger will strengthen there during the summer. Covering in the playmaking role Aaron Ramsey has shown why there was such a fuss about him. Put simply the boy is quality and even Fabregas claims that he's looking over his shoulder at him :) . With Rosicky signing a new contract and Nasri looking sharp again we are well covered from an attacking midfield perspective however a defensive player wouldn't go astray. Again however I think Wenger will wait for the summer.

Attackers
    This is where Wenger has been most open about his desire to strengthen. Remember he wanted Chamakh in the summer despite having Rvp, Bendtner, Arsh, Vela, Walcott, Eduardo. To be honest he'd have been a dream signing in hindsight. He's strong, tall, technically excellent and can lead the line well. ie - perfect foil for Rvp. unfortunetly that fell through and we're in the situation where while we are scoring goals, we really don't have a player to spearhead the formation. Eduardo is not strong enough IMO , he's a goal scorer but not someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Vela has a lot to learn, and Arshavin fades in and out of games and in my opinion is more suited to the wing. Bendtner is potentially perfect for the role but needs another year or so before he's able to step up. The likes of Gignac, Chamakh and Dzeko have been rumoured but to be honest there's little chance again of signing any of them until summer because of different reasons (World cup year, Bordeaux doing well, wanting milan etc). So unless we are willing to sign someone like Huntelaar (a downgrade imo) on loan, it doesn't look to promising to be honest.

Any thoughts on other possible signings lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Oh it's Arsene I'm unhappy with over this, not Paddy. If we didn't offer him a deal then there's not a lot he can do.

Silvestre is only a year younger than Paddy and Arsene is talking about giving him a new deal. wtf like?

wages pepe wages.... apparently the lanky one is going to be on £150,000 per week.

plus when song returns...it'd be ludicrous to keep playing PV at the expense of one of the best def mids in the league. Don't think PV then would be happy at being back on the bench.

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Any thoughts on other possible signings lads?

Goalkeeper and CB is where I'd like to see us strengthen.
    I'd like to see Almunia and one of Fabianski/Mannone gone.

Then sign a top class keeper to fill the void left, we really missed a trick on Given. Lloris will be far too expensive. Akinfeev would be good, but again, far too expensive for Arsene.
    Anyway Arsene obviously has faith in the goalkeepers we have so can't see it happening.

At CB I'd like to see us get rid of Silvestre, but also keep Senderos, that would leave us with two good CB's in Gallas and Verm and two great for cover Senderos/Djourou, however it appears Senderos is on his way so CB is a huge priority right now for me.

I don't think we need any more signings in midfield or up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I don't think people realise how much Vieira has declined as a player, he's a shadow of himself tbh. Anytime I've seen him for France or Inter in the last 2 years he's been the worst player on the pitch. He just doesn't have that dynamism he used to. Denilson is a better player tbh, and i'd much prefer to see him in that holding role rather than bring in someone like Vieira.

It must be so frustrating for Wenger to have built such a great squad but be so beset by injuries to key players. We probably have a bigger squad of first teamers than either Chelsea or Manchester United but ten outfield players missing is too much. Then again, he isn't helping himself by not signing the players we need.

I'm not saying we need Upson (although that would be nice) - someone who would by happy being a backup for a big side, perhaps someone coming towards the end of his career. Although I can't think of anyone of the top of my head haha.

I'm hearing that the game is off, more news soon I suppose.

It must be so frustrating for Wenger to have built such a great squad but be so beset by injuries to key players. We probably have a bigger squad of first teamers than either Chelsea or Manchester United but ten outfield players missing is too much. Then again, he isn't helping himself by not signing the players we need.

I'm not saying we need Upson (although that would be nice) - someone who would by happy being a backup for a big side, perhaps someone coming towards the end of his career. Although I can't think of anyone of the top of my head haha.

True, maybe it's the type of player Wenger goes for though! Obviously not injury prone but skillfull and maybe on the slight side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Game off

• Advertisement

I'm hearing that the game is off, more news soon I suppose.
    :)

:)

Ragin!!!

I'll take a guess at where it'll be stuck in!

24 Sun FA Cup A Stoke City
    27 Wed Premier League A Aston Villa
    31 Sun Premier League H Manchester United
    03 Wed Premier League H Bolton :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    07 Sun Premier League A Chelsea
    10 Wed Premier League H Liverpool
    13 Sat FA Cup N Round 5
    17 Wed Champions League A Porto
    20 Sat Premier League H Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ragin!!!

13 Sat FA Cup N Round 5

ha, you're so right!

i can't wait for Wenger's reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I don't think people realise how much Vieira has declined as a player, he's a shadow of himself tbh. Anytime I've seen him for France or Inter in the last 2 years he's been the worst player on the pitch. He just doesn't have that dynamism he used to. Denilson is a better player tbh, and i'd much prefer to see him in that holding role rather than bring in someone like Vieira.

Completely agree with both points (even the Denilson bit which is against my principles!). I was saddened to see him getting thought a lesson by a young Fabregas when we played Juventus in Highbury many years ago.

• Advertisement

Ragin!!!

13 Sat FA Cup N Round 5

Very good chance of that alright. On the plus side maybe Song will be back and able to play, that's going to be a horrible fixture list, serious make or break stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Ragin!!!

13 Sat FA Cup N Round 5

I hope that doesn't happen, can't they just play it next wed
    It means 2 games against Bolton in a row but at least 1 will be a Wed and the next on a Sun. Need as much rest as possible.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    It means 2 games against Bolton in a row but at least 1 will be a Wed and the next on a Sun. Need as much rest as possible.

I wouldn't expect any favours, we can only hope!

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Didn't something like that happen a few years ago and we ended up playing Boro three times in 11 days or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ragin!!!

13 Sat FA Cup N Round 5

that looks f*cking horrible all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Didn't something like that happen a few years ago and we ended up playing Boro three times in 11 days or something?

Think you might be right there, Can't see why the PL officials would have anything against having 2 games in a row between the same teams. If I was Wenger I'd start droppin hints now to put pressure on them.

16.48 Atletico Madrid have confirmed an interest in signing Fran Merida, but the midfielder's agent says the priority is to agree a new contract with Arsenal.

Which story to believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

The other horrible thing about the match being postponed is that Coyle may have had some time to work with the players at that stage and they could be in that golden period when a new manager comes in and lifts everyone... I really wanted it played tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement