Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Schools

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Anybody got an good recommendations of private schools in Dublin? I actually don't know even one myself. DS is nearly 3 and I want to get this sorted out pronto. It doesnt matter where in Dublin as I'm pretty central and am prepared to travel

Any links or website addresses would be good too!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At age 3 you may be too late to get a place. What part of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

www.schooldays.ie lists all the schools for each county so you can find the ones nearest you.

Fee-paying primary schools (unlike fee-paying secondary schools) are not registered with/supported by the Dept. of Education and so will not be listed.

Other than paying fees - what is your criteria for a school for your child? e.g. single sex/mixed, ethos/religion, location etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I know several good schools, most off in the suburbs though, so it would be quite a commute at rush hour unless you already live in the wider area. Are you looking for anything specific, such as a school fostering foreign language learning, an irish school, not a Catholic school etc? Are you looking for a school that has primary and secondary levels, and maybe boarding for when he is older?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The one on Ailesbury Rd (Will remain nameless) is one I would not recommend as a primary school (The Secondary school is much much better though), facilities are very basic, teaching is no better than any other school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    silja wrote: »
    I know several good schools, most off in the suburbs though, so it would be quite a commute at rush hour unless you already live in the wider area. Are you looking for anything specific, such as a school fostering foreign language learning, an irish school, not a Catholic school etc? Are you looking for a school that has primary and secondary levels, and maybe boarding for when he is older?

A foreign language is definately a plus French being the prefered language. There is a French speaking private school but religion is not taught and I would like it (Catholic) to be incorporated in his school work.

I just want to find the right school that will encourage him in school and afterschool. I went to a school in the inner city (not private) and alot of my classmates either dropped out early, are in trouble with police or just have no ambition beyond working in a shop. I have no problem with that but we all want something better for our children. I don't want him growing up with friends that have the motto 'live by the gun, die by the gun' as I see from people that were at my school. Its just frightening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

St KIllian's German school is excellent, and I know they do some joint stuff with the French school too: http://www.kilians.com/kindergarten/index.html I don't know about their religious ehtos, I think they are broadly Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Hm... You may need to start re-evalutating where you are living and what you are looking for?

If you send your child to a school outside your area

a) you will have a substantial travel journey every day for at least 8 years

and

b) he will be isolated both from the children who live nearby (as he goes to a different school from them) and also the children at school (as he lives a long distance away).

If you are working full time, you will also have to factor in the cost of afterschool care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Love2love wrote: »
    I just want to find the right school that will encourage him in school and afterschool. I went to a school in the inner city (not private) and alot of my classmates either dropped out early, are in trouble with police or just have no ambition beyond working in a shop. I have no problem with that but we all want something better for our children. I don't want him growing up with friends that have the motto 'live by the gun, die by the gun' as I see from people that were at my school. Its just frightening!
    Please don't let your experience lead you to believe that all public schools are so awful.

Whether a school charges fees or not should not have any bearing on which school you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I can personally recommend Rathgar Junior School. I've nothing but the highest praise for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Hiya Love2Love,

I went to a French primary school in Dublin and it's the best thing my parents ever did for me. The class sizes were very small, normally 16-20 kids max in my class. I moved to an Irish school in 6th class as parents didn't want me to do the bac (French LC) as it was by exam correspondence at the time (they now run a full secondary program in St. Killian's in Clonskeagh through French afaik). When I moved to the Irish school I was up to 2 years ahead in most of my subjects (Maths, History, Science etc) except Irish but finding language learning so easy I soon caught up. Overall the standard of education was excellent.

I was able to speak French like a native from around 7/8 years old and subsequentlyfind languages really easy to learn having acquired a second language at such a young age (can currently speak 5 lanaguages but hope to add to that!) Needless to say it was very useful having a guaranteed A1 in French in the Leaving.

We did do religion in school, but it was an extra class that was optional and it was the same for Irish. We had a half day every Wednesday and the Irish kids all stayed behind to do Irish and Religion for an extra hour or so. About 1/3 of the kids in the school were 100% Irish like me, 1/3 half French half Irish and 1/3 100% French so it was a really nice mix.

As you can see, I can't recommend the school enough and any future kids of mine will be going there! It really gives your kids a headstart in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Irish teaching wasn't great in the French school.

Advertisement