Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

• 31-07-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Aug 1st 2009

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Celtic. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team. A separate thread will be started for SPL discussion, so please restrict discussion here to on-topic subjects related to Celtic.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Previous Discussion Thread is located here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

An SPL thread will start very soon guys, so please keep the off-topic (non-Celtic) stuff for there.

Enjoy the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

why was the other one closed????? is it coz Celtic beat spurs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

New season , New rumors and on that note. We were ****e on Saturday against sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Sarge wrote: »
    New season , New rumors and on that note. We were ****e on Saturday against sunderland.
    i was over for it and ended up staying in the pub to watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So it seems Scott Brown will only make the bench tonight. Fox in for the injured Naylor is expected to be the only change but you never know.

There's no pressure for Celtic to attack from the start. If it's 0-0 at 80 minutes Celtic will be dominant with the Dinamo players instinctively dropping deep. All we need is the 1 goal (without conceding) to even get it to extra time so keeping a clean sheet should be the priority from the start.

I fancy a draw over the 90 minutes though. Hope I'm wrong.

A nice early 5 o'clock kick off anyway which I prefer for a nervous qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

eirebhoy wrote: »
    So it seems Scott Brown will only make the bench tonight. Fox in for the injured Naylor is expected to be the only change but you never know.

There's no pressure for Celtic to attack from the start. If it's 0-0 at 80 minutes Celtic will be dominant with the Dinamo players instinctively dropping deep. All we need is the 1 goal (without conceding) to even get it to extra time so keeping a clean sheet should be the priority from the start.

I fancy a draw over the 90 minutes though. Hope I'm wrong.

A nice early 5 o'clock kick off anyway which I prefer for a nervous qualifier.

5 O Clock doesn't suit those of us in paid employment!

Will Celtic have a strong backing in Moscow? Surely the recession will take its toll on numbers travelling?!

Mate of mine In Glasgow booked his trip for 400quid , got and email last week to reward his loyalty in traveling he is now traveling on the team plane..... I think sales went up by 200% after this became widespread news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Clock off at 4:30, home for 4:50. Looking forward to this one, am quietly optimistic to be honest.

Hope Brown gets a start tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Not at all optomistic.

I think we will fail to score and therefore fail to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

From what Im hearing its not likely infact I dont think he is going to be even risked on the bench :(

• Advertisement

Mate of mine In Glasgow booked his trip for 400quid , got and email last week to reward his loyalty in traveling he is now traveling on the team plane..... I think sales went up by 200% after this became widespread news.

Thats great news. Always good to hear clubs looking after their Loyal fans. I remember Niall Quinn and Sunderland paying to get fans home some years back.

Clock off at 4:30, home for 4:50. Looking forward to this one, am quietly optimistic to be honest.

I think you are right to be optimistic. Most people naturally except Celtic to fail given their atrocious away record, however, this has to come to an end at some stage. Russians might think job is done and I think Celtic could take advantage of this degree of complacency.

Brewster wrote: »
    Thats great news. Always good to hear clubs looking after their Loyal fans. I remember Niall Quinn and Sunderland paying to get fans home some years back.

Thats what my initial thoughts were until he informed me that it was infact Thomas Cook who made the gesture.

Thats what my initial thoughts were until he informed me that it was infact Thomas Cook who made the gesture.

Good aul Thomas Cook, a bit of good publicity for them so after the Grafton street 'issue'!

Not at all pootimistic.

I think we will fail to score and therefore fail to get through.

We created so many chances against this lot the last night, I just cant see us failing to score if we create the same tonight?

If we create a similar run of chances and do not score, it will be very worrying for the year ahead.

Samaras 5 yard header, Maloney half volley inside the penalty area - I honestly believe 7 times out of 10 these lads would put them same chances away.

5 O Clock doesn't suit those of us in paid employment!
    Ah shouldn't be difficult to get off at 4. 7.45 is just too late as for some reason I'm not excited about the game. Just want it to be started asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Hi guys, what channel is the game on? Thought I'd pick up but still looking here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

younge wrote: »
    Hi guys, what channel is the game on? Thought I'd pick up but still looking here.

Setanta Ireland and BBC 2 Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is there a link to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If you have Eircom broadband they stream Setanta Ireland on their homepage AFAIK

Is there no match thread for this?

Liam O wrote: »

Is there no match thread for this?

Have you started one?

Somebody eventually did:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055641778

Match discussion ongoing there.

Shakhtar failed to win tonight so the teams in the draw for the CL will be...

Seeded:
    Arsenal
    Lyon
    Sporting Lisbon
    Panathinaikos
    Stuttgart

Unseeded:
    Fiorentina
    Atletico Madrid
    Celtic
    Anderlecht
    Timisoara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'd fancy us against any of them to be honest, lisbon or Stuggart would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I hope we (Arsenal) get Celtic, I'd love to travel to Glasgow for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nice position to be in considering how last season went and the 1st leg last week

Stuttgart for me

Badabing wrote: »
    I'd fancy us against any of them to be honest, lisbon or Stuggart would be ideal.

Ah id wear my ST pauli jersey IF/WHEN we get Stuttgart thats one trip ill be one :-) again :-)

Didn't realise Celtic get €2m off UEFA for that win tonight. Pays for N'Guemo.

• Advertisement

glad someone pays :-)

Well done Celtic. Thoroughly deserved victory and a massive result for Scottish football. Celtic need to join the Gers now in group stages and have them both qualify for knock out stages or at least the Europa league spot for finishing third. Scottish football's Uefa co-efficient is on a serious slide and needs to be arrested quickly if Celtic and Rangers wish to compete in CL in the future. I thought Celtic would do it last night and they did, they will have to improve though for next round as opposition will be of a much higher standard.

Brilliant stuff from Bellamy arriving at Glasgow yesterday!!!

Listen to what he says to the rangers fan at the end...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8186533.stm

Celtic and Rangers can't do anything about the Scottish coefficient when UEFA have 6 Scottish teams competing in Europe. The points for a win is being divided by 6. Should be 4 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I hope Celtic draw the Arsenal

They're not so clever at all.
    Ripe for a doing.

Cmon the Hoops

Celtic and Rangers can't do anything about the Scottish coefficient when UEFA have 6 Scottish teams competing in Europe. The points for a win is being divided by 6. Should be 4 max.

I agree Eirebhoy, but you have to play by the rules as they currently stand. As a result, Old Firm need a long european run clocking up as many points as they can. Something divided by 6 teams, is hell of lot better than nothing divided by 6 teams!

• Advertisement

Pal wrote: »

Ripe for a doing.

Cmon the Hoops

Beating Moscow and suddenly Celtic are world beaters eh?! Celtic do not want to draw Arsenal if they have aspirations of playing in group stages of CL this season!

Brilliant stuff from Bellamy arriving at Glasgow yesterday!!!

Listen to what he says to the rangers fan at the end...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8186533.stm

That made me laugh , Bloody great.

Didn't realise that either, we should buy him up quickly before the end of season.

Uefa relesed the disrubution money that clubs got in 2008/09 season, Celtic got e12.7 million this does not include gate money and merchandise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Excellent result for Celtic.

Takes a lot of pressure of Mowbury.

• Advertisement

Beating Moscow and suddenly Celtic are world beaters eh?! Celtic do not want to draw Arsenal if they have aspirations of playing in group stages of CL this season!

For the first time in living memory I have to say Brewster I agree, now stop or i'll start doubting myself :P

For the first time in living memory I have to say Brewster I agree, now stop or i'll start doubting myself :P

Shock horror, it was a good job I was sitting down reading your post about you agreeing with me or Id have collapsed! Id fancy Celtic to beat any of the teams bar Arsenal and possibly Lyon. Sporting, Pana and Stuttgart are very beatable. Sporting were blessed to get through, Lyon are not the force they were. Celtic will be a much fitter and better organised team in two weeks.

I think Arsenal could be unplayable at times this season...

Pal wrote: »

Ripe for a doing.

Cmon the Hoops

Arsenal would destroy us.

Wouldn't have thought there was any pressure at all on Mowbray whatsoever.

Who's he, a travel agent in Glasgow??

As for Mowbray he wasnt under pressure per say, he has had very little time to influence things yet, I think the second half of the season after the January transfer window we will have a much better idea of the direction Tony is taking the hoops and I for one and extremely satisfied and confident, Hail Hail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well done Celtic. Thoroughly deserved victory and a massive result for Scottish football. Celtic need to join the Gers now in group stages and have them both qualify for knock out stages or at least the Europa league spot for finishing third. Scottish football's Uefa co-efficient is on a serious slide and needs to be arrested quickly if Celtic and Rangers wish to compete in CL in the future. I thought Celtic would do it last night and they did, they will have to improve though for next round as opposition will be of a much higher standard.

You back for the new season brewster???:( You and your bloody co efficient. Were any of us Celtic fans worried about that last season when rangers were dumped out by Kuanas??? Were we fcuk. And equally i'm sure they are not consoling themselves today by thinking of the good it will do the co efficient. You just don't get it do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Who's he, a travel agent in Glasgow??

As for Mowbray he wasnt under pressure per say, he has had very little time to influence things yet, I think the second half of the season after the January transfer window we will have a much better idea of the direction Tony is taking the hoops and I for one and extremely satisfied and confident, Hail Hail!!

I don't get the joke?:confused:

You back for the new season brewster???:( You and your bloody co efficient. Were any of us Celtic fans worried about that last season when rangers were dumped out by Kuanas??? Were we fcuk. And equally i'm sure they are not consoling themselves today by thinking of the good it will do the co efficient. You just don't get it do you.
    If the coefficient goes the way the SPL winners will have 3 rounds of CL qualifiers to go through while the runners up will go into Europa qualifiers. As long as Celtic do better in Europe than Rangers I don't mind them winning. Jealousy only kicks in when they're in Europe and we're out.

Ha! The ignorance of that post! I think the importance of the co-efficient has been pointed out by other posters on here! I think you need to go and do your homework, a hour or two private's tuition with Bert would set you straight. If any Rangers fan takes pleasure by Celtic getting knocked out of Europe, then they are every bit as ignorant as yourself. BTW, I dont doubt they do exist. If you are a true Celtic supporter who wants whats best for the Celtic, you'll bite your lip and wish Rangers all the best in the CL and hope they can help salvage some pride for the league your team plays in.

tbf Rangers benefit to the tune of about £3m in TV revenue by Celtic going out and the short term is a lot more important to them then 3 years down the line. Rangers fans should be desperately hoping Celtic go into the Europa imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement