Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I believe him to be under pressure. There is something seriously wrong with Brown, while I never saw him as a 10 million pound player like some Celtic fans did based on a half dozen excellent performances in the Champions League, he is a very good player. At the moment, he is offering very little for the team. Is this an ongoing injury or is he simply not playing for Mowbray?? Im inclined to think its the former, if so he needs to take a month or 6 weeks out of game to allow his injury to fully heal.

2 wins out of 7 at home, which was very nearly 1 out of 7 is not good enough. Yeah one of the games was Arsenal, even still its poor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have seen very little of the league games since I dropped Sky, but doesn't seem like I'm missing much. Celtic seem to be total gash at the moment, and if their performances in the league are anything like the crap I've seen served up in the Europa league, then I'm surprised we're only sitting 1 point adrift of the top.

As much as there's serious defensive issues, the real problem remains the lack of goal threat from the strikers but also midfield. From what I've seen of Brown this season, he needs taking out of the team and whatever injury he has to get sorted as he has been ineffective for the most part. I'm stunned that Crosas does not seem to be making any inroads whatsoever into Mowbray's plans either.

Unless something happens in January, I can't see a title coming Parkhead way, and Europe after Christmas seems a pipe dream. I'm just glad I'm too busy with other things to give a **** really.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Have seen very little of the league games since I dropped Sky, but doesn't seem like I'm missing much. Celtic seem to be total gash at the moment, and if their performances in the league are anything like the crap I've seen served up in the Europa league, then I'm surprised we're only sitting 1 point adrift of the top.

As much as there's serious defensive issues, the real problem remains the lack of goal threat from the strikers but also midfield. From what I've seen of Brown this season, he needs taking out of the team and whatever injury he has to get sorted as he has been ineffective for the most part. I'm stunned that Crosas does not seem to be making any inroads whatsoever into Mowbray's plans either.

Unless something happens in January, I can't see a title coming Parkhead way, and Europe after Christmas seems a pipe dream. I'm just glad I'm too busy with other things to give a **** really.

Paul, I don't think your the only one. The last two Celtic league games have passed by with hardly a comment on this forum. I think the SPL title race will be very close this year, Rangers have dropped alot of points too. If you look at table, Hibs could be top of league after next weekend's fixtures, probably wont happen, but in season's gone by there would not have been the slightest possibility of this happening at this stage of season heading towards November...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another chance for the Celtic team to show they mean business [after failing miserably over the last month or so]. They can go top should they win tomorrow at Hamilton.

The equalising goal from Hibs against Rangers was scored by Stokes and it was a peach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Classy finish alright

Still think he's an arrogant twat though

• Advertisement

Another chance for the Celtic team to show they mean business [after failing miserably over the last month or so]. They can go top should they win tomorrow at Hamilton.

The equalising goal from Hibs against Rangers was scored by Stokes and it was a peach :)

Great goal, such great close control and clinical finish... Does anyone think he has a future for Ireland if he can get his game back to a high level??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

It was a great goal he played well on the day and caused a lot of problems,he made a great run later in the game to set up Nish who should have scored,overall happy with the point since we conceded an early goal and delighted we kept attacking and never gave up also have to say Liam Miller is playing superbly in the middle of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

top of the league
    the banks own rankers
    the glaswegian is no more

oh happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

poindexter wrote: »
    top of the league
    the banks own rankers
    the glaswegian is no more

oh happy days

Yep we are in a bad way but you maybe shouldn't crow just yet.
    As I said we are bad but we are also only one point behind.

Oh I agree about the Glaswegian though and if something similar happened to the Brazen Head it would hunky dory.:p

Though in saying that the numties that use these establishments are just going to find somewhere else. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Under pressure after 2 months in charge?

Only at Celtic.

Why only at Celtic?

I think Mowbray should be given time but he's really not cutting it at the moment. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that he's given a proper chance and that fans give him time.

After winning Liverpool the CL you'd think Rafa would be bulletproof but 4 defeats in a row left him on the verge of the sack. That's far worse than what's happening Mowbray at Celtic.

• Advertisement

Yep we are in a bad way but you maybe shouldn't crow just yet.
    As I said we are bad but we are also only one point behind.

Oh I agree about the Glaswegian though and if something similar happened to the Brazen Head it would hunky dory.:p

Though in saying that the numties that use these establishments are just going to find somewhere else. :(

You reading the newspaper reports from Glasgow over the last few days?

Seems like there's many a dark day over Ibrox coming up. I'd imagine the only way that long and dark days won't be visited is if you guys find someone to buy the club but given Murray's tinkering with the finances/share issues/reluctance to be clean on accounts etc... you might also find getting a buyer to be very difficult.

You reading the newspaper reports from Glasgow over the last few days?

Seems like there's many a dark day over Ibrox coming up. I'd imagine the only way that long and dark days won't be visited is if you guys find someone to buy the club but given Murray's tinkering with the finances/share issues/reluctance to be clean on accounts etc... you might also find getting a buyer to be very difficult.

To be honest I think Lloyds are going to be the sticking point over the debts but while I also agree Murray has been guilty of many things whee are you getting this stuff about the accounts as far as I am aware there has never been any problem in that direction Bobby.

As i say if Lloyds do as they do in many other cases and come to an agreement over the debt then it should work out.

At the end of the day Bobby there is to much rumour and counter rumour going on just now I will wait for Official statements :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

well well well,
    Its only over the last few days this forum has got up and running again, it all went a bit bare there for a week or so. Many reasons for this i feel.
    Firstly Celtic and Rangers are all over the place at the moment, Rangers more so in footballing terms. The financial situation is disasterous. A quick look at the Celtic website shows all sorts of deals, it just shows how we are struggling to attract fans. Tickets for 5 pounds for children, and all sorts of things like thsi, have a look for yourself. Having being looking at the site evryday for the last few years ive noticed this is a sharp change. Only a few years ago there wasnt as many of these offers, and it was even hard to get hands on a season ticket. Its all changed these days, a clear sign of the trouble Scottish football is in. Fortunately for Celtic we are braced for this downturn. I feel Rangers arent(quite clear if media reports are true). Celtic have invested alot in player development with Lennoxtown etc.
    But at the end of the day i feel the only way out of this is to get out of the Scottish League. Now i dont want to start a discussion on this topic, however my own opinion is that an Atlantic League would be great. Celtic -v- Benfica, Celtic -v- Ajax, imagine that every weekend. However leaving the other smaller clubs behind would prove the stumbling block.
    For that reason i think the best option would be a UK League. The UK is different to many others, Scotland England Wales are connected unlike any other countries. If all the teams were put into one system i feel it would be best in the long term for all the clubs from all nations. I myself would be happy even if they made Celtic start from a lower division, say League 1 or 2. How to determine which league to enter all the teams into would be a difficult process, but at the end of the day may save dozens of clubs from going bust. The pull of Celtic and Rangers would no doubt have them competing right at the top after a few years. Clubs like Hibs and Hearts from the great city of Edinburgh would surely prosper, and i feel they would settle nicely into the championship after 6 or 7 years.
    At the end of the day football, unfortunately, is dictated by money. TV revenue is an integral part of this, a a change to an all UK league could be the ticket we are looking for. No doubt there is many in opposition. Why would a club like say West Brom want us in, that would only move them one place down the pecking order. Anyway thats my thoughts about the future, i dream that one day i will be alive to witness such a change...

Back to reality now....
    Not playing great at the moment. Having rarely(and i mean VEY rarely) ever missed a Celtic game on TV i have found myself missing a few this year with the change to ESPN. I can get them on the internet but as im sure u know its just not the same. Plus im playing football myself these days at the weekends so im not always around. But from what ive seen we have been poor, i hope Fortune returns well from injury and proves he wasnt a waste of cash. Brown has been poor, impressed with N'guemo. Strikers need to get the goal scoring boots on. Happy with Fox, unhappy as ever with the centre backs.
    On that note i see Strachan has taken over down at Boro, i reckon he might bid for one or 2 of our players? O'Dea? Heard he's been poor at Reading?

God lads that a long comment i better stop

Some very interesting and god points made there
    I enjoyed that :)

Whats Paddy McCourt on about I take it he is not a happy bunny at the moment I don't think coming out with these sort of statements will endear him to anyone at Celtic surely he would be better knuckling down and improving his work rate

To be honest I think Lloyds are going to be the sticking point over the debts but while I also agree Murray has been guilty of many things whee are you getting this stuff about the accounts as far as I am aware there has never been any problem in that direction Bobby.

In work and laptop getting fixed so excuse quick reply.

Underwriting share issue for 50m with money from his company, MIH. This debt might have to be transferred back to RFC.

Overvaluing Ibrox by £80m.

Not publishing accounts on time - he's now going to publish them 6 months late.

The assets and debts of MIH and RFC are completely intermingled putting off potential buyers.

Amortisation of players is dealt with in an odd way as well.

Lloyds have placed one of their men on the Board to call the shots.

Whats Paddy McCourt on about I take it he is not a happy bunny at the moment I don't think coming out with these sort of statements will endear him to anyone at Celtic surely he would be better knuckling down and improving his work rate

Missed that completely mate - what did he say?

Missed that completely mate - what did he say?

He said in a TV interview last night he was not willing to stay at Celtic sitting on the bench to which Now I am not sure if it was Venus or not said at the moment they don't see him as a player that is going to be in the Celtic starting line up every week it was on the STV news I was quite amazed at the whole thing

In work and laptop getting fixed so excuse quick reply.

Underwriting share issue for 50m with money from his company, MIH. This debt might have to be transferred back to RFC.

Overvaluing Ibrox by £80m.

Not publishing accounts on time - he's now going to publish them 6 months late.

The assets and debts of MIH and RFC are completely intermingled putting off potential buyers.

Amortisation of players is dealt with in an odd way as well.

Lloyds have placed one of their men on the Board to call the shots.

Lloyds have denied they are running the club

As for the rest its all rumour and counter rumour so I will wait and see
    the only thing I am sure of is the club won't go under;)

I do know we are in one god awful mess at the moment though :(

Lloyds have denied they are running the club

As for the rest its all rumour and counter rumour so I will wait and see
    the only thing I am sure of is the club won't go under;)

I do know we are in one god awful mess at the moment though :(

None of the above is rumour though, it can all be checked and is as I say.

You guys really are up the creek financially.

I am also sure that there's absolutely no way youse will go under.

• Advertisement

None of the above is rumour though, it can all be checked and is as I say.

You guys really are up the creek financially.

I am also sure that there's absolutely no way youse will go under.

Just have to wait it out I'm afraid the Rangers forum I go on is full of threads about it and to be honest I can't be bothered with all the speculation.

I will give my thoughts when something concrete turns up:(

So what about McCourt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

So what about McCourt

Didn't hear what he said, but if what you said is what he said, I agree with him. I wouldn't sit warming the bench with the S H I T E that's currently getting a game ahead of him.

Another laughable performance tonight. Samaras missed, what, 5 times? McManus absolutely shocking challenge - worst I've seen from him - a disgrace to the club.

Mowbray has some serious thinking to do.

Celtic will win nothing this season imo.

Didn't hear what he said, but if what you said is what he said, I agree with him. I wouldn't sit warming the bench with the S H I T E that's currently getting a game ahead of him.

Another laughable performance tonight. Samaras missed, what, 5 times? McManus absolutely shocking challenge - worst I've seen from him - a disgrace to the club.

Mowbray has some serious thinking to do.

Celtic will win nothing this season imo.

Just heard Pat Dolan describe Samaras at "useless", never a truer word spoken! What a joke of a footballer, he wouldn't hit a 20 ft barn door! What was he doing celebrating the "goal" before it went in!?

Macari then added that he works hard!! Laughable FFS! He is the laziest footballer in Scotland...

Well spoken on challenge Paulo, a absolute disgrace to football........

If Rangers weren't having such off field problems id probably say your right, but league will go to wire no doubt...

Apparently approx 20k at game tonight, very very very bad attendance for a cup tie at Celtic Park. Upper tier empty. There was even reduced ticket prices in place tonight. Not going to do financial plight of club much good...:eek:

Brewster wrote: »
    Apparently approx 20k at game tonight, very very very bad attendance for a cup tie at Celtic Park. Upper tier empty. There was even reduced ticket prices in place tonight. Not going to do financial plight of club much good...:eek:

Financial plight? Wrong club mate... Rangers is that <- way. ;)

Financial plight? Wrong club mate... Rangers is that <- way. ;)

Rangers in a bad way by all accounts, but those sort of figures won't do Celtic balance sheet any good.... I think the Celtic fans need to get behind the team and show people they are worthy of the great reputation most of their supporters have among the footballing world. That's a joke of an attendance, less than a third full by all accounts against the 3rd team in Scotland you could argue??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ahhh just as i was forgetting how much of a laugh Samaras gave me last season he goes and celebrates as he hits the post. ROFL!

Eirebear wrote: »
    Ahhh just as i was forgetting how much of a laugh Samaras gave me last season he goes and celebrates as he hits the post. ROFL!

Twas rather funny :)

Rangers in a bad way by all accounts, but those sort of figures won't do Celtic balance sheet any good.... I think the Celtic fans need to get behind the team and show people they are worthy of the great reputation most of their supporters have among the footballing world. That's a joke of an attendance, less than a third full by all accounts against the 3rd team in Scotland you could argue??

A dire attendance alright but hardly putting our reputation at peril for God's sake!!!

A dire performance too, though Pat Dolan was excellent on Setanta last night - he hit the nail on the head big time on a few things.

• Advertisement

A dire attendance alright but hardly putting our reputation at peril for God's sake!!!

A dire performance too, though Pat Dolan was excellent on Setanta last night - he hit the nail on the head big time on a few things.

Well we can agree on that Bob, he got description of Samaras spot on! As you will all know, I was a big fan of Strachan as a manager but I am big enough to admit he got that signing badly wrong. I am assuming Strachan had total control over transfer dealings at Celtic Park?? How does this guy get into the Greek National team? Whats his scoring record like for the Greeks??

Eirebear, you may be laughing at him celebrating hitting the post, but the belter of the night was Lou Macari on Setanta saying he wasn't a goalscorer but that he worked hard for the team!! He is most lazy disinterested footballer playing in SPL IMHO....:eek::eek:

Kenny Miller may miss chances too, but he doesn't miss as many as that chancer Samaras and at least Kenny Miller wears his heart on sleave and gives 110% ever game he plays. He is a far better player than Samaras yet some of you guys ridiculed me last season for highlighting this. Samaras scored the goal in Moscow, I think thats his sum contribuation to Celtic's campaign so far...?? Correct me if im wrong lads...

Well we can agree on that Bob, he got description of Samaras spot on! As you will all know, I was a big fan of Strachan as a manager but I am big enough to admit he got that signing badly wrong. I am assuming Strachan had total control over transfer dealings at Celtic Park?? How does this guy get into the Greek National team? Whats his scoring record like for the Greeks??

Eirebear, you may be laughing at him celebrating hitting the post, but the belter of the night was Lou Macari on Setanta saying he wasn't a goalscorer but that he worked hard for the team!! He is most lazy disinterested footballer playing in SPL IMHO....:eek::eek:

Kenny Miller may miss chances too, but he doesn't miss as many as that chancer Samaras and at least Kenny Miller wears his heart on sleave and gives 110% ever game he plays. He is a far better player than Samaras yet some of you guys ridiculed me last season for highlighting this. Samaras scored the goal in Moscow, I think thats his sum contribuation to Celtic's campaign so far...?? Correct me if im wrong lads...

Never thought I'd say this but...

Miller is a far better striker than Samaras.

Miller has a great work rate, decent positional sense but isn't a great finisher.

Samaras has an ok work rate (but ALWAYS in the wrong position), no positional sense and is a fairly ****e finisher.

I'd take Miller over Samaras any day (and I genuinely can't believe I'm saying that).

Never thought I'd say this but...

Miller is a far better striker than Samaras.

Miller has a great work rate, decent positional sense but isn't a great finisher.

Samaras has an ok work rate (but ALWAYS in the wrong position), no positional sense and is a fairly ****e finisher.

I'd take Miller over Samaras any day (and I genuinely can't believe I'm saying that).

It's talking to all us bears on here Bobby its confusing you :p:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Samaras motm today he is very frustrating as a player:mad: Good win at home but thursday is a massive game.

Badabing wrote: »
    Samaras motm today he is very frustrating as a player:mad: Good win at home but thursday is a massive game.

I heard he scored ok! If Samaras scores a hatrick on Thursday, he will make up for his misses last Wednesday! Good result for Celtic, badly needed.

Much better from Celtic yesterday, some nice goals as well. Nice touch from the club regarding eirebhoy :)

I notice the Dunndee United - Rangers game has been abandoned. Shame really ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Can i just say that we are going along nicely in second and have the edinburgh derby next week

I'm quite happy for Hibs to be in 2nd spot so long as Celtic are 1st. :)

Joking aside, if there was ever a season for Hibs to make a title challenge, this is that season. Both Celtic and Rangers are struggling both at home and in Europe, and Hibs have had a decent start to the season. Consistency has always been Hibs problem so we'll see as the season goes on if they have what it takes. They often pull off impressive results against top 6 sides, but then get gubbed by Falkirk or someone. Would be good for the league to see another contender though.

Hughes has done well so far and both Stokes and Miller look to have been astute signings.

As for Celtic, hopefully the win yesterday will do something for the confidence levels which have been severely lacking. Was surprised to see that Fortune was back, thought he was another few weeks off but great news nonetheless.

yea that was a much needed win yesterday, good to see fortune back, need him to get in the goals for us. pity the rangers game was abondoned today, but safety was most important. i see u say there was a nice touch from the club for eirebhoy, what was it? this thread will never be the same without him, lets hope we can keep him happy and bring the title back to Paradise.

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    yea that was a much needed win yesterday, good to see fortune back, need him to get in the goals for us. pity the rangers game was abondoned today, but safety was most important. i see u say there was a nice touch from the club for eirebhoy, what was it? this thread will never be the same without him, lets hope we can keep him happy and bring the title back to Paradise.

It was the big screen message - was wondering whether to post it in here also, thinking about it I suppose it's only right it should be also posted in this thread.

100_0947-1.jpg

This thread won't be the same without his input. Always made me smile with the Naka posts, you could be sure when Naka had a good game he'd be on here extolling his virtues. Please God he's found his Paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i sure would anyway

good win at the weekend. not building up too much hope for the hunburg game, as long as we get some consistency in the league then we can build from there

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

good win at the weekend. not building up too much hope for the hunburg game, as long as we get some consistency in the league then we can build from there

They played fairly well and at least TM started with 2 strikers which made the team a little more balanced. The forced inclusion of McCourt instead of Maloney was something I was looking for and I dont think he did his chances any harm for a start against Hamburg.

we're still in this Bhoys. C'MON

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Three of the most inexplicable substitutions I have ever seen, taking off three players with a slight chance of scoring for three players with even less chance of scoring :confused: .

we're still in this Bhoys. C'MON

Now we're not! 2 points from 4 Europa League games is shocking. McDonald should have put away one of his chances, Samaras lacking again. Full marks to Zaluska - thought he did very well and both Loovens and Caldwell did their jobs. Thought midfield were very sloppy, poor passes all night long, and a complete inability to hold the ball. N'Guemo and McGeady were the best midfield players for me.

Some surgery needed in January methinks.

Charco wrote: »
    Three of the most inexplicable substitutions I have ever seen, taking off three players with a slight chance of scoring for three players with even less chance of scoring :confused: .

Ye as I said in the match thread Naylor for McDonald shocking substitution. Leaving McCourt on the bench and we needing a win.

Ye as I said in the match thread Naylor for McDonald shocking substitution. Leaving McCourt on the bench and we needing a win.

Speechless about the subs tbh. Would have liked to have seen that game end with McCourt and McGeady on the pitch. It was a must win, and taking off a player like McGeady who can give you something special (even if not very often!) and leaving another one on the bench in McCourt is criminal. I can't figure Mowbray out at all when it comes to subs.

Speechless about the subs tbh. Would have liked to have seen that game end with McCourt and McGeady on the pitch. It was a must win, and taking off a player like McGeady who can give you something special (even if not very often!) and leaving another one on the bench in McCourt is criminal. I can't figure Mowbray out at all when it comes to subs.

At least McCourt for McGeady would have been like for like in some way but bringing on a defender on 57 mins for a winger with McCourt and McGinn on the bench, shocking. What the hell must have went through these lads minds.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement