Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought it was good of Mowbury to actually bring subs on in good time to see if it would make a difference but that was baffling.

Anyone remember when O'Neill would bring a sub on in the 86th minute when everybody else was calling for a change with 1/2 an hour to go?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8347426.stm

Nice to see some good news on the travelling fans front. I think it says a lot about the fans that there wasn't trouble given the efforts some of the Hamburg fans went to to be inciteful.

And they say we're two sides of the same coin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Bit ironic PauloMN, Germans unfolding a union jack banner ;) Ah well given the way the start of the season has went 3 points tomorrow would be welcome. To think that a result like Thursday would have been hailed as a great achivement away from home if not for the poor show in the home games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

lads the match doesnt seem to be on tv tomorrow, not on ESPN or Setanta anyway. anyone got any idea what channel its on?

OMG where do you start after that load of crap. I'm shocked and lost for words, had a quick look at the Celtic site 9 wins in 21 competitive games :eek: and whats with this crack of standing at the dugout with his hand up to his mouth and doing nothing. He must have a worse record than Barnes now. Our best player was a sub, fair play to The Bairns and without 7 first team players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5y2-U6Ll1Q&feature=player_embedded#

Utter disgrace. Those who disrespected the silence are scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some pretty awful behaviour from the Celtic fans there, has the club made a statement or apology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_061109162424.aspx

Club made a pre game statement. I don't condone but can understand those who wished to exercise freedom of speech in opposing this.

Everyone is entitled to there own political views, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_061109162424.aspx

Club made a pre game statement. I don't condone but can understand those who wished to exercise freedom of speech in opposing this.

Sorry what utter tripe the fans were asked to keep quite for one minute to remember ALL that died in conflict and couldn't do it an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Sorry what utter tripe the fans were asked to keep quite for one minute to remember ALL that died in conflict and couldn't do it an absolute disgrace.

I think its fair to say that remembrance day has been hijacked and its moving more and more away from its original aspiration

Probably an argument more suited to another forum, were unlikely to ever agree...

Some pretty awful behaviour from the Celtic fans there, has the club made a statement or apology?

The singing was coming from outside the ground, the support inside observed the minutes silence. Maybe someone should have went out and asked em to stay quite. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

No.

Because while the celtic fans where standing outside the stadium having a wee sing song, they where infinging on the large majority of people inside the stadiums rights.

Wether or not you or i agree with the whole thing, it doesnt take away from the fact that the celtic fans involved in this showed nothing but contempt for the others inside the stadium

The singing was coming from outside the ground, the support inside observed the minutes silence. Maybe someone should have went out and asked em to stay quite. :rolleyes:

Of course...they didnt realise their voices where being heard! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I didn't realise the Falkirk v Celtic fixture was so big that hundreds of ticketless Celtic fans would be left outside.

I think its fair to say that remembrance day has been hijacked and its moving more and more away from its original aspiration

Probably an argument more suited to another forum, were unlikely to ever agree...

It's not remembrance day that's been hijacked it's the poppy and I have no problem with people not wearing them.

But the minutes silence should have been observed

Why is it that the SFA has insisted that poppies should be woven into jerseys and the minutes silence should be observed at every match?

Why is it that the SFA has insisted that poppies should be woven into jerseys and the minutes silence should be observed at every match?

As I said the poppy bit is wrong the minutes silence is perfectly ok IMO

It's not remembrance day that's been hijacked it's the poppy and I have no problem with people not wearing them.

But the minutes silence should have been observed

It was observed inside the ground where it was intended, but if the SFA insist of mixing politics and sport there will be a no winner. People have the right to there opinion on any subject.

A Falkirk season ticket holder said: "The fans inside the ground stood in silence" from the Scotman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

the people outside were singing Aidan McAnespie, a ballad about a 24year old killed by a British bullet(i'm sure everyone heard it loud and clear anyway). if people want to protest or voice their disdain at something, shouldn't they be allowed to???? remembering the people who fell at WW1 and WW2, soldiers who fought against fascism, being told that we should observe a silence is almost hypocritical to what these people died for. free speech, freedom, choice. i wasn't at the game yesterday, if i was i'd have observed it, but i would still respect the opinion of others who chose not to.

sure, they could have started throwing seats around instead

http://irelandsown.net/mcanespie.html

The Poppy, Rememberance Sunday, and the Armed Forces have now been turned into an 'Old Firm' thing which is politicial and not sport congrats to the SFA. Everyone outside should be found guilty of Treason. :D Come to think of it some of the team could be found guilty of this aswell after that performance. :mad:

Jesus, werent the terms "Deflection" and "denial" used to describe Rangers the other day?

Wether you agree with the poppy appeal or not, wether you even agree with the minutes silence or not it doesnt matter.

The celtic fans who stood outside the stadium "voicing their opinion" did so at a time set aside for the people within the stadium to have a minutes reflection.

Are the "minority of celtic fans" rights more important than the majority of people inside the stadium?
    What of the thousands of Irishmen who fought and died during the 2 World Wars?
    What of the Celtic fans who are out there in Iraq and Afghanistan at this very minute?
    What of the Falkirk fans who maybe have family out there?

Dont get me wrong, people have every right to voice their opinions and objections, but not at the detriment of other peoples. One persons right should not infringe on anothers. If you cant keep your mouth shut for a minute in order to respect another persons right, then why should they accept your opinion?

To be quite frank if the green brigade had trotted out their usual "stick yer poppies up yer arse" ditty a minute after kick off, i personally wouldnt have given a toss. Instead however they decided that it was appropriate to have a wee sing song at the most innapropriate time.

They have succeded in showing themselves as nothing more than jumped up arrogant and ignorant people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Who cares what they were singing, the fact is they were singing during a minute of silence that means something special to those who observe it. If you don't agree with it that is your choice, but have the decency to allow those who do the opportunity to remember their dead.

There is a time an place for dissent, during an act of commemoration is not that time. It was utterly moronic behaviour.

The next person who even thinks about mentioning chair throwing or any other reference to Rangers will get an extended break from this forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Every walk of life has its idiots - there's no escaping them - but if people aren't doing anything illegal, there's nothing you, I or anyone else can do about them.

It happens, get over it.

Personally, I think it's disrespectful and idiotic what those people did, but some folk on here need to get off the offended bus (or was that O'Ffended).

PauloMN wrote: »
    Every walk of life has its idiots - there's no escaping them - but if people aren't doing anything illegal, there's nothing you, I or anyone else can do about them.

It happens, get over it.

Personally, I think it's disrespectful and idiotic what those people did, but some folk on here need to get off the offended bus (or was that O'Ffended).

Oh well, case closed.

Funny how its always "It happens. Get over it" when the greatest fans in the world are involved.

I completely agree, every walk of life has idiots, and i dont see anyone here tarring Celtic fans as all the same.
    Its just rather ironic that those very same Celtic fans are willing to blame everyone else for the beahaviour of those few idiots.

2 sides of one coin really Paul, eh?

Eirebear wrote: »
    Oh well, case closed.

Funny how its always "It happens. Get over it" when the greatest fans in the world are involved.

I completely agree, every walk of life has idiots, and i dont see anyone here tarring Celtic fans as all the same.
    Its just rather ironic that those very same Celtic fans are willing to blame everyone else for the beahaviour of those few idiots.

who are the Celtic fans blaming, and what are they blaming people for???? some chose not to observe a minutes silence and had their own reasons for doing so. the tailbacks and roadblocks could be blamed for ppl bieng late getting to the ground. the fact there were only 4 turnstiles open on the east stand could be blamed. there are people who were outside who wanted to be inside. Celtic fans are split about the protest, but we aint blaming it on the sunshine or the boogie.

2 sides of the same coin, not a hope

poindexter wrote: »
    who are the Celtic fans blaming, and what are they blaming people for????
    Question
    some chose not to observe a minutes silence and had their own reasons for doing so. the tailbacks and roadblocks could be blamed for ppl bieng late getting to the ground. the fact there were only 4 turnstiles open on the east stand could be blamed. there are people who were outside who wanted to be inside.

Answer...
    Celtic fans are split about the protest, but we aint blaming it on the sunshine or the boogie.

Denial.

Thats quite a talent you have there sir, every thought of running for public office?
    How you managed to plant excuses and deflections into that post, while at the same time denying there is any such thing going on is amazing!

Add to that the comments regarding the SPL "forcing" Celtic to wear the poppy and im sure my point is clear.

Heads or Tails Poindexter? Heads or Tails?

Oh well, case closed.

Sorry I'm not with you. Involved in what exactly? Singing? I totally agree it was out of order and idiotic, but it wasn't violence, racism, damaging property etc. or anything like that.

I also don't see any Celtic fans blaming others for the behaviour of those guys.

2 side of the same coin, nah. Mountain out of a molehill, yep.

If it's irony you're after, try Rangers fans coming on a Celtic thread to preach about the behaviour of Celtic fans after last week.

Question

Answer...

Denial.

Thats quite a talent you have there sir, every thought of running for public office?
    How you managed to plant excuses and deflections into that post, while at the same time denying there is any such thing going on is amazing!

Add to that the comments regarding the SPL "forcing" Celtic to wear the poppy and im sure my point is clear.

Heads or Tails Poindexter? Heads or Tails?
    so you're familiar with all these 'excuses' and 'blaming' that i mentioned? please do tell what other blaming you have heard or are aware of. the actions of some of our fans is unacceptable to some, as is the behaviour of yours. maybe UEFA will come down on us this week, oh hold on.........

while talking about blame, what about the pragmatic mr Campbell from Derry
    GREGORY CAMPBELL MP

CLUBS MUST ACT TO PRESERVE POPPY DAY SYMBOLISM

East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell has praised those at all the sporting events over the weekend who paid tribute in a dignified and solemn fashion to those from across the United Kingdom who paid the supreme sacrifice while serving their Country. In acknowledging those efforts he singled out for criticism the number of people purporting to be Glasgow Celtic followers at the Falkirk v Celtic game where a minority of fans at the ground attempted to disrupt the minute silence.
    "It was a deplorable action, embarrassment was etched on the face of the Celtic Chairman as he stood in respectful silence while others sought to demean it."

For football fans right across the UK the sight of the overwhelming majority of fans, players, staff and management all taking part in an emotional and appropriate silence with the wearing of poppies in their clothing or tops was impressive. Whether an oversight or whatever but the unfortunate positions of both the present manager of Celtic at the Falkirk game and a former manager, Ulsterman Martin O'Neill at his Aston Villa game, neither of whom were sporting poppies while thousands of others did, could be used by the "disrupters" as vindication.
    Hopefully an explanation will be forthcoming from both clubs to allay any suspicion on the motivation of both men.

I trust all the Clubs will take steps to ensure that there is no hiding place next year for those whose opposition to freedom allows them the choice to act as the bigots they surely are.
    END.
    i dont hear him give out about Sir Alex's team not wearing a poppy.

this could drag on and on. we criticize you and you criticize us, we both love our teams and

and it's tails every time, i never shout for the queen.

• Advertisement

Don't think EB or myself have said anyone must wear a poppy.

It's the disruption of the minutes silence that I find despicable remember many men from the South of Ireland fought and died in both world wars at least have the decency to be quite for one minute in there memory.

Its not a lot to ask

so you're familiar with all these 'excuses' and 'blaming' that i mentioned? please do tell what other blaming you have heard or are aware of. the actions of some of our fans is unacceptable to some, as is the behaviour of yours. maybe UEFA will come down on us this week, oh hold on.........

Ive heard a few examples of excuses and deflection today yeah, another good one was from a certain Mr H.Keevins on radio Clyde "Peter Lawell was not shaking his head in disgust at the Celtic support, in fact he was shaking his head at something which a Falkirk fan had shouted towards them" Deflection deflection deflection
    while talking about blame, what about the pragmatic mr Campbell from Derry
    i dont hear him give out about Sir Alex's team not wearing a poppy.

Its not about who wore poppies and who didnt. I certainly didnt wear a poppy.
    Its about respecting other peoples rights to a minutes silence. Its about not being ignorant towards others but yet trying to claim some kind of moral highground. I have already said, i will not tar all celtic fans with the same brush on this one however.
    this could drag on and on. we criticize you and you criticize us, we both love our teams
    Your right, and after i adress Pauls post it will be the last i say on the matter hopefully. I feel i have made my point fairly clear.
    and it's tails every time, i never shout for the queen.

:D

Sorry I'm not with you. Involved in what exactly? Singing? I totally agree it was out of order and idiotic, but it wasn't violence, racism, damaging property etc. or anything like that.

I also don't see any Celtic fans blaming others for the behaviour of those guys.

2 side of the same coin, nah. Mountain out of a molehill, yep.

If it's irony you're after, try Rangers fans coming on a Celtic thread to preach about the behaviour of Celtic fans after last week.

Oh look, more deflection...such a surprise!

Why cant you just look at what happened without bringing Rangers into the equation Paul? Does it make you feel better to know that the "big bad hun" is worse than you?

No, it wasnt vandalism, violence etc. It was however ignorant, inflammatory and stupid.

I'm not preaching at all, funilly enough however im sure the last time i checked this was an open forum and given the fact that i never managed to bring Celtic into last weeks discussions whatsoever, i feel i have every right to come in here and discuss it with you.

Your right, and after i adress Pauls post it will be the last i say on the matter hopefully. I feel i have made my point fairly clear.

:D
    thank feck for that, thought you'd never shut up

what you expecting UEFA to hit you with on thursday??

Oh look, more deflection...such a surprise!

Why cant you just look at what happened without bringing Rangers into the equation Paul? Does it make you feel better to know that the "big bad hun" is worse than you?

No, it wasnt vandalism, violence etc. It was however ignorant, inflammatory and stupid.

I'm not preaching at all, funilly enough however im sure the last time i checked this was an open forum and given the fact that i never managed to bring Celtic into last weeks discussions whatsoever, i feel i have every right to come in here and discuss it with you.

I just think Rangers fans taking the moral high ground on this is laughable.

My own view as already said is this was a stupid act which annoyed people, nothing more and nothing less. How it even merits so much discussion is beyond me.

No need to worry about that, Lloyds will cover it. ;)

thank feck for that, thought you'd never shut up

i'd be surprised if its more than a fine to be honest....mind you thats bad enough!

I just think Rangers fans taking the moral high ground on this is laughable.

My own view as already said is this was a stupid act which annoyed people, nothing more and nothing less. How it even merits so much discussion is beyond me.

I can assure you Paul I am not taking any moral high ground as a Rangers fan just as a human being who feels showing respect by people keeping their mouth shut is not to much to ask for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's no coincidence that this poppy nonsense thing is being hyped up every year as the Brits become more bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan. The UK is on it's way to becoming a quasi military state like the USA.

Have your minutes' silence if you want but dont force it on people who fundamentally disagree with it.

The song that the fans outside were singing was 'Aiden Mc Anespie', a ballad about a young man shot dead by the British army on his way to GAA training. I'm not saying i agree with the fans singing during the minutes silence but a great choice of song.

It's no coincidence that this poppy nonsense thing is being hyped up every year as the Brits become more bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan. The UK is on it's way to becoming a quasi military state like the USA.

Have your minutes' silence if you want but dont force it on people who fundamentally disagree with it.

The song that the fans outside were singing was 'Aiden Mc Anespie', a ballad about a young man shot dead by the British army on his way to GAA training. I'm not saying i agree with the fans singing during the minutes silence but a great choice of song.

You miss the point the minutes silence is for ALL that died in conflict and as I said previously that includes many from here that fought and died in both world wars and if they can't be respected for a minute or two every year what sort of society are we living in

You have 525599 minutes in a year to protest outwith that one solitary minute in which you are asked to stay silent to respect the rights other people have around you.

Wether you agree with it or not has nothing to do with it, it all comes down to simple common decency.

As ive said before, you can claim "free country" all you want, that does not give you leeway to trample over the rights of others.

You have 525599 minutes in a year to protest outwith that one solitary minute in which you are asked to stay silent to respect the rights other people have around you.

Wether you agree with it or not has nothing to do with it, it all comes down to simple common decency.

As ive said before, you can claim "free country" all you want, that does not give you leeway to trample over the rights of others.

I think you've made your point. Not one Celtic fan on here has said they agree with what a bunch of people standing outside the stadium did. Not one. Everyone has said they'd not have done that themselves, and that they'd have respected the minute silence, even if some feel it not appropriate.

As regards peoples' rights, you have the right to do what you want so long as you are doing it within the law, whether you, I, or anyone else likes it or not. It's called democracy. Common decency is not the same thing, and I think we all agree that what those people did went against common decency.

You miss the point the minutes silence is for ALL that died in conflict

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Smooth. :rolleyes:

50,000 Irishmen were killed in World War I, in case you hadn't realised. "Not agreeing" is putting it very softly - they are scum of the earth.

• Advertisement

Right less of the poppy. time to move on and back to football itself http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm A move to the EPL is back up for discussion Thursday with the powers that be. O'Neill, Moyes and Redknapp and throwing there weight behind the idea. Could this idea be building up a bit of steam?

Smooth. :rolleyes:

50,000 Irishmen were killed in World War I, in case you hadn't realised. "Not agreeing" is putting it very softly - they are scum of the earth.

I am well aware of the Irish losses in both World Wars and have no problem commemorating these and indeed British and other servicemen who died in these wars. My point is that the british engagemnet in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have seen the whole issue of wearing poppies, minutes silences etc are being pushed to the fore by an establishment keen to make some spurious connection between the war against fascism and the current imperialist occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Right less of the poppy. time to move on and back to football itself http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm A move to the EPL is back up for discussion Thursday with the powers that be. O'Neill, Moyes and Redknapp and throwing there weight behind the idea. Could this idea be building up a bit of steam?

Can't see it happening. What clubs are going to have to give way to allow them in?? You mention three managers supporting the idea, it won't be them that make the decision anyway. Now if Chairmen, owners and major shareholders were coming out in favoiur then there might be something in it.

Personally i don't want Celtic to join the EPL, though if they did i think that within a decade they could be one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I much rather the idea of a North Atlantic League.

Can't see it happening. What clubs are going to have to give way to allow them in?? You mention three managers supporting the idea, it won't be them that make the decision anyway. Now if Chairmen, owners and major shareholders were coming out in favoiur then there might be something in it.

Personally i don't want Celtic to join the EPL, though if they did i think that within a decade they could be one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I much rather the idea of a North Atlantic League.

I dont know, the fact that it would be a two tier league with promotion and relegation may have softened some clubs thinking on it. If the likes of O'Neill, Moyes and Redknapp are prepared to speak out in favour of it they must be discussing it within their clubs. Not for the North Atlantic League myself.

I dont know, the fact that it would be a two tier league with promotion and relegation may have softened some clubs thinking on it. If the likes of O'Neill, Moyes and Redknapp are prepared to speak out in favour of it they must be discussing it within their clubs. Not for the North Atlantic League myself.

The original idea mooted by Gartside some months ago was a two tier league with promotion/relegation. So no real change as far as i can see

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement