Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My point is that the british engagemnet in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have seen the whole issue of wearing poppies, minutes silences etc are being pushed to the fore by an establishment keen to make some spurious connection between the war against fascism and the current imperialist occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.

do you think the Celtic fans who disrespected the minutes silence were trying to make a political statement about the presence of british troops in Iraq & Afghanistan?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do you think the Celtic fans who disrespected the minutes silence were trying to make a political statement about the presence of british troops in Iraq & Afghanistan?

:P

Actually yes i think some of them were. Why do you think this so hillarious?? But you seem to have missed my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Thought that the problem the last time was about promotion and relegation but anyway it will be interesting to see what comes out of it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Actually yes i think some of them were. Why do you think this so hillarious?? But you seem to have missed my point.

holy god. thats about the most deluded thing i have ever read on these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well that ends that:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm

I'd have been surprised if something had come of it, but at least the idea of leaving the SPL is being discussed now. A league with the best of Scotland, Belgium, Holland and Scandinavia I think is the best way forward.

One thing is for sure - Celtic will not progress if they stay where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

PauloMN wrote: »
    One thing is for sure - Celtic will not progress if they stay where they are.

Fact.

The EPL notion seems unlikely, within the next 10-20 years anyway. I reckon an Atlantic League could work after long thought. With a regional lower league system in each country.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    holy god. thats about the most deluded thing i have ever read on these boards.

Care to explain?? I'm only stating facts. make of them what you will....

ziggy wrote: »

Very very small minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Very very small minority.
    and it was a very very small minority of Celtic fans who stood outside and sang on Sunday.

as i heard someone else say earlier, now that the EPL pipe dream is gone, the Celtic board must now focus on winning the SPL and building teams for Europe. the money is'nt gonna come from the Premiership, so do what it takes to win the league and get into the CL every year. rankers are in a mess financial wise just now, and this is as good an opportunity for us to move way ahead of them and leave them in our wake

• Advertisement

poindexter wrote: »
    and it was a very very small minority of Celtic fans who stood outside and sang on Sunday.

as i heard someone else say earlier, now that the EPL pipe dream is gone, the Celtic board must now focus on winning the SPL and building teams for Europe. the money is'nt gonna come from the Premiership, so do what it takes to win the league and get into the CL every year. rankers are in a mess financial wise just now, and this is as good an opportunity for us to move way ahead of them and leave them in our wake

We could have done that last January, but didn't. I don't think the board want us to pull away from them. Just stayig that step ahead of them seems to be enough. Very shortsighted imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Celtic have announced that defender John Kennedy has retired from football on medical advice.
    The 26-year-old's career was blighted by injury ever since he sustained serious knee damage on his Scotland debut in 2004.
    After almost three years out, he returned to action with Celtic before another knee injury put him out again.
    In 2008, he joined Norwich on loan and experienced more disappointment when he suffered ankle ligament damage.

"It is with great regret that I have made this decision. However, given the medical advice which I received, this is the right decision," Kennedy told the Celtic website.

"Clearly, this is very disappointing for me and my family. However, this is something I will accept and come to terms with.
    "I have enjoyed my time with Celtic immensely and I would like to thank everyone at the club and all the Celtic fans for all the support and backing they have given me during my time.
    o.gif
    "It has been an absolute privilege to play for such a great club and of course I wish the team the very best for the future."
    Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell added: "Everyone at the club is devastated at the news of John's retirement.

"John is a young man who has been an absolute credit to this club and someone who had one of the brightest futures in the game. We are all deeply saddened by this news.
    "John is someone who fought his way through the Celtic ranks to become a first-team star - something which is a magnificent tribute to his talent and ability.

"No-one will ever forget how he performed in the Nou Camp that famous evening back in 2004 and no-one will ever forget how he was so cruelly injured in his prime.
    "We thank John for everything he has given us - the club will be doing all it can to provide John with as much support as possible."

In total, Kennedy made 45 appearances for Celtic after coming through the Glasgow club's youth ranks.

Capped 15 times for Scotland's Under-21 side, Kennedy's senior international career was restricted to the fateful match against Romania, when a tackle by Ionel Ganea resulted in the defender's first knee injury.
    "It's really sad for the boy," said current Scotland manager George Burley.
    "This is a big blow to John, his family and everyone who knows him.
    "He's been through a lot of heartache over the years. At one point he was one of the most promising defenders Scotland had.
    "You never know what can happen in football, it shows you the ups and downs of a footballer. Whatever career he decides on, we wish him all the best."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8359464.stm

Sad news indeed, big John was a good honest player and his career is ended after a friendly against Romania and a horror of a tackle from which he could not recover. I hope he can carry on in football in some capacity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If there's one player we could really do with now, it would be John Kennedy. Could have been a great player had he not been so unfortunate with injuries. Even though he's young, he more like the old school players - not in the media every week mouthing off. Such a shame his career has to come to this.

Seems like their sniffing around Brown again
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Celtic-s-Scott-Brown-is-Bolton-target-article226349.html

Would ye think we should take it this time if it was offered ?

Myself I think yeh and I'd drive him down for that money.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Celtic-s-Scott-Brown-is-Bolton-target-article226349.html

£7m? Mad money for Brown. I'd also bite their arm off for that. Must say I don't see the big attraction with Brown - it's all too rarely we see the skill people harp on about. I certainly don't think he bosses the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

£7m? Mad money for Brown. I'd also bite their arm off for that. Must say I don't see the big attraction with Brown - it's all too rarely we see the skill people harp on about. I certainly don't think he bosses the midfield.

Something we agree on Paul! I think the guy is clearly carrying an injury, and is not playing to his best. Some of the lads on here rave about him as if he is a superstar. Hes a very good player. He can't pass the ball well enough or score enough goals to be a 7m player in IMHO. The last Celtic midfielder to make a big move to premiership was Petrov, I watch him in premiership and is a much better player. Even Barry Robson on his day will have more control over a midfield! I am a big fan of Robson anytime I have watched him.

What did you all think of Mr. McGeady the other night? Ill be honest, and admit I thought he would be ideal to run at a tired French defence and I was screaming at telly for TRAP to bring him on. I was wrong, he was pathetic. :mad: The freekick he put in at end was a joke, whole team in box and he does that? He will have to improve his delivery into box for him to become a proper player. No where near the superstar some Celtic fans think he is, he doesn't even do it regularly in SPL FFS, never mind the International stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I wish he'd been sold by ye before he'd turned 24 though.:pac:

• Advertisement

Brown is a very frustrating player at times to watch, he was a good player with Hibs and started his Celtic career well. If we got the money thats being said yes I would be happy for him to go but I dont think we will get it. Sometimes players have a good first season and hopes are high, which he had. The problems he had on and off the field last season I think was a big factor in the Brown we saw. This season he started with an injury which did'nt help but now after the time out and under TM his old mentor maybe we may see the old box to box brown which I would be happy to see stay (if we dont get the money).

Jeasus 5 goals leaked in 2 games and he used be a defender. No wonded WBA were relegated. Sorry but this dud has to go. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Brown is a very frustrating player at times to watch, he was a good player with Hibs and started his Celtic career well. If we got the money thats being said yes I would be happy for him to go but I dont think we will get it. Sometimes players have a good first season and hopes are high, which he had. The problems he had on and off the field last season I think was a big factor in the Brown we saw. This season he started with an injury which did'nt help but now after the time out and under TM his old mentor maybe we may see the old box to box brown which I would be happy to see stay (if we dont get the money).

I personally think Mowbary has made his biggest mistake of his short celtic career so far in persisting in playing an injured Scott Brown.

Brown's form has been awful by his own standards so far this season, and by persevering with him it looks like his injury has been aggravated.

Mowbary is a very stubborn man, and it may have bit him on the backside.

Eirebear wrote: »

Mowbary is a very stubborn man

Ehhhh understatement and there no need to be nice , let rip man.
    Any chance of Smith in Jan if ye dont offer him a new contract. ;)

Ehhhh understatement and there no need to be nice , let rip man.
    Any chance of Smith in Jan if ye dont offer him a new contract. ;)

lol, i dont like to kick a man when he is down :p

As for Smith, could you imagine it? MoJo would be able to move back to Scotland as no one would care anymore! :pac:

lol, i dont like to kick a man when he is down :p

As for Smith, could you imagine it? MoJo would be able to move back to Scotland as no one would care anymore! :pac:

Wow there.............your loosing the run of urself.:D

No serious yer just plodding away like last year and picking up results and were just stumbling from one disaster to another. (to your enjoyment)

• Advertisement

No serious yer just plodding away like last year and picking up results and were just stumbling from one disaster to another. (to your enjoyment)

Grinding out results...the mark of champions! :p

Seriously though, given our problems off field i'll happily plod along from game to game, at the start of the season i wasnt even sure if we'd still be challenging at this stage.

As for Celtic, the board must have their heads up there arses. Its ok for John Reid to have smarmy little digs at us during AGM's etc. yet they dont seem to realise that if Celtic spent well and wisely this year they would walk the league and probably dominate for the forseeable future.
    I find that baffling.

3.6 million for Fortune :eek:

and these results: 9 wins in 22 games.
    Dynamo Moscow......0-1..L
    Dynamo Moscow......2-0..W
    Aberdeen................3-1..W
    Arsenal...................0-2..L
    St Johnstone...........5-2...W
    Arsenal...................1-3..L
    Hibs.......................1-0...W
    Dundee Utd............1-1..D
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv.......1-2...L
    Hearts....................2-1...W
    Falkirk....................4-0...W
    St Mirren................2-0...W
    Rapid Vienna..........1-1..D
    Rangers..................1-2..L
    Motherwell.............1-1..D
    Hamburg................0-1..L
    Hamilton................2-1...W
    Hearts...................0-1..L
    Kilmarnock.............3-0...W
    Hamburg................0-0..D
    Falkirk....................3-3..D
    Dundee Utd............1-2...L

3.6 million for Fortune :eek:

maybe they did spend well...but not so much Wisely then!

Is he actually that bad? Ive seen celtic fans compare him to Sebo! :eek:

maybe they did spend well...but not so much Wisely then!

Is he actually that bad? Ive seen celtic fans compare him to Sebo! :eek:

I don't think he's quite Sebo, but his goal scoring record was not exactly brilliant reading before he joined Celtic. Was very wary of him when he signed when I checked his record. The one thing we absolutely did not need was a stiker who doesn't score very often. :(

Fortune might not quite be our Sebo, but as I read elsewhere, it looks like Mowbray might be our Le Guen in terms of losing the players' support.

That list of games makes for depressing reading. Major surgery needed. Wouldn't like to see Mowbray gone yet, but some of the players need out, and Mowbray needs to try and stick with some sort of regular backbone to the team rather than this constant experimentation. It clearly is not working out.

O'Dea will be a welcome return in January, that much is certain.

Saw the goals on the news there, shocking defending to be fair. Mowbray's teams have never been able to defend, and it looks like this trend is continuing at Celtic. All good teams have a good defensive structure in place starting with a good keeper. Celtic have two excellent keepers who must get so annoyed with the defending in front of them. I think its wrong to lay blame sorely at door of two centre halfs, its not all their fault. Celtic dont seem to be defending as a team. Big Sami, who will remarkably get to strut his stuff on the world stage next summer, let Dods go for 2nd goal. He was ball watching and had no desire to actually mark a player in box...

I think Mowbray has to get in a defensive minded coach, someone who can work with team on a regular basis and teach the team to defend as a unit. They are clearly not doing this.

This is the worst start by any Celtic manager ever I think. To behind a very poor Rangers team is inexcusable IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Getting depressed and annoyed with Celtic lately, I have come to expect them to lose under mowbry, not impressed at all

Reading some of the boards and the news is TM has offered to resign, usually take these things with a pinch of salt but some of these lads are close in and have been right on some good calls before.
    Brewster.. I think Mowbray has to get in a defensive minded coach

Fcuk me him and Grant were defenders, maybe the guys they played with were doing all the covering up for em, it would explain why they cant get it right. Naw he deffo lost the dressing room cant give any other explanation for so many basic mistakes!

Reading some of the boards and the news is TM has offered to resign, usually take these things with a pinch of salt but some of these lads are close in and have been right on some good calls before.

Fcuk me him and Grant were defenders, maybe the guys they played with were doing all the covering up for em, it would explain why they cant get it right. Naw he deffo lost the dressing room cant give any other explanation for so many basic mistakes!

It doesn't seem to follow that because he was a defender, that his teams would be well drilled defensively. All teams need to defend as a team, it may be a sign of the problems within the club that players are not playing for him. Mowbray has made some terrible errors in criticising his players in public. I made this point on here a few weeks back. I can understand certain players not playing for him because of the public criticism he dished out to seasoned pros. You can't do that. Any criticism must be kept in house.

Wooooooooo 3-1 TM has turned it around :rolleyes: Well I suppose a win is a win and after Aberdeens win this was more then welcome. Another missed pen but we will huff and puff away until Jan and see who may come in and steady the team as by all accounts another jittery performance.

I'm just thinking how ****e things are when I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Celtic have managed to beat St. Mirren at home. :( How sad is that....

Anyway 3 point is 3 points and they were very much needed. Good win by the sheep also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I never thought a 3-1 win against St Mirren would be so welcome.

Made all the better with Aberdeen beating Rangers 1-0.

Nacho Novo causing a bit of a storm by giving the Aberdeen crowd the finger after the game and pulling his shorts down at them.

Anyone hear anything about McCoist going mental with the players after the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Welcome all the same, our first win in November in the league :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I never thought a 3-1 win against St Mirren would be so welcome.

I was just thinking the same thing its sad really how happy I was with beating St Mirren 3-1, under normal circumstances I'd be livid with no clean sheet but at this stage we'd take three points from anywhere tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Welcome all the same, our first win in November in the league :eek:
    well november is over and done with now, so into december and a nice run of wins, starting with the europa league tomoro night :rolleyes:

is the game on telly at all????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

poindexter wrote: »
    is the game on telly at all????

setanta ireland. prediction 4-0. guppy with a hatrick and valgaaren with the 4th

It's also on ITV4 for those without Setanta:
    http://www.livesportontv.com/football/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It's also on ITV4 for those without Setanta:
    http://www.livesportontv.com/football/

Nice one, trying to stay off the booze but Mowbray and co aint helping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Celtic have Arcade Fire as their song at the end of games?! Cool

A meaningless win, but a win nonetheless, and after the recent form, it's a welcome change.

McDonald has a real problem drifting offside though, seems to get flagged offside like 5 or 6 times consistently in every game. N'Guemo did very well I thought, broke up a good few of their attacks. Robson goal aside I thought was poor, peach of a free kick though.

Hopefully, just hopefully, it's the start of a winning run.

A meaningless win, but a win nonetheless, and after the recent form, it's a welcome change.

McDonald has a real problem drifting offside though, seems to get flagged offside like 5 or 6 times consistently in every game. N'Guemo did very well I thought, broke up a good few of their attacks. Robson goal aside I thought was poor, peach of a free kick though.

Hopefully, just hopefully, it's the start of a winning run.

Good win for Celtic, no win in Europe in meaningless Paul. After the season Scottish clubs have had in Europe it was a welcome result. Hopefully they can win they their last match too. Too early to say whether they have turned their season around, but you have to start somewhere.

Dont think it was a meaningless win Paul, it may get some form of consistency into the team at the moment after the win on Sat. The only thing that would worry me is if we went on a winning run the board would get happy again and claim we dont need to spend much in Jan.:mad:

It seems the Honduran defender Osman Chavez will not be staying even though he impressed TM. "He did exceptionally well for us. But I have made the decision that he is not quite right for us and we will wait and try to find extra competition for places in that area of the team at the right time."

You mean ye were told we're no paying any money for him! :(

Estonian winger Sander Puri (21 yrs) has been training with the team for the last two weeks and Ki Sung-Yong was watching the game from the stands last night. The latter is waiting on work a permit.

Gary Caldwell's twitter...:D

http://twitter.com/GaryCaldwell5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nice win today with some nice goals. The two strikers scoring the 3 goals!

• Advertisement

Nice win today with some nice goals. The two strikers scoring the 3 goals!

Two clean sheets in a row also..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement