Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

So can our resident Rangers fans explain the rioting and trouble that took place in Spain last night?? Over zealous cops, not enough stiles open, too much milk in the tea???? .... What was it this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So can our resident Rangers fans explain the rioting and trouble that took place in Spain last night?? Over zealous cops, not enough stiles open, too much milk in the tea???? .... What was it this time?

I give up. Wh could it possibly be??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A bit of trouble brewing on the 18month horizon for one of the Old Firm.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/keeper-s-injury-time-stunner-hands-belgians-champions-league-spot-at-expense-of-rangers-and-celtic-1.991222

The fairly abject performance of the Scottish representatives in europe over the last 2 seasons has seen Belgium overtake Scotlands UEFA club co-efficent, and the SPL will thus only have one club in the Champions League in 2011/12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

I give up. Wh could it possibly be??? :rolleyes:

it was Celtics fault of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

it was Celtics fault of course.

What are you havering about.

Every report I have read and from talking to people who were there the incident happened when Sevilla fans rushed into the pub through one door and the Rangers fans went out the other into the Spanish police where Rangers fans were met with swinging batons in fact one of the fans hit was a 52 year old Grandmother. there was two arrests both released without charge.
    Now I won't defend the thugs in our fanbase but this seems to me an incident where fans defending themselves our rather trying to get out the way of the opposing fans and received a warm welcome from the friendly Spanish Police

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I really enjoyed that game, some excellent goals there with Fortune finally getting another goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I really enjoyed that game, some excellent goals there with Fortune finally getting another goal :)

What a goal it was, saw it on news last night. It was hit like a bullet, obviously shows what he is capable of. Its maybe that he is more likely to score goals like that than goals from inside 6 yard box. Will do his confidence no harm at all.

Still think he is not worth anywhere near the 4m odd Celtic paid for him. They could have bought two very good 2m players and I think it would have been money better spent considering tight budgetary situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Another win the team seems to be after getting a new lease of life. Fantastic goal by Fortune, hope they keep this bit of a run going. Also interesting things on the transfer market http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1235620/Viking-ace-Morten-Gamst-Pedersen-set-Celtic--Blackburns-Norway-winger-praying-Parkhead-move.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0Zca6HgRs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Just seen the highlights on Sky last night some cracking goals there both McGeady and Samaras looked very good, Boruc looked a little rusty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Rapid Vienna 3-3 Celtic. McGowan gets an injury time equaliser. Celtic won't finish bottom of the group with this result, a great come back after an attrocious start. If nothing else it will be an important result mentally for the squad, the team showed great resolve in a meaningless enough game and after going 3-0 down, some teams wouldn't have bothered and just saved themselves for the league but I am impressed Celtic kept at it .

• Advertisement

3-3 :confused: What the hell was that all about. Give em a 3-0 lead and nearly dominate the rest of the game. McGuinn, Crosas, N'Guemo and Fortune put in good shifts, Caddis only one worth talking about at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

McManus has to go he is really annoying me :mad:

Holy fcuk, :mad: no matter who plays in defence its the same old story. Everytime a ball is hoofed into the box its bloody mayhem. Shocking defending again and throw in a few missed sitters at the other end and its enough to drive ye to drink. Crikey these same guys were there under GS and they were nowhere near as bad. End of........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Badabing wrote: »
    Loovens put him into the position where he had to make that tackle.

Badabing wrote: »
    Loovens put him into the position where he had to make that tackle.

Don't think Badabing was talking about the Hearts game

Anyway it was Caldwell that made that tackle but you are right it was Loovens that put him in the position that he had to make it.

Have to say I was surprised just how much your midfield disintegrated today guys

Have to say I was surprised just how much your midfield disintegrated today guys

Maybe something to do with a sending off and Crosas being replaced by McManus :rolleyes:

Maybe something to do with a sending off and Crosas being replaced by McManus :rolleyes:

No doubt it made a difference but surely that Celtic teams midfield should not have disintegrated against what was a very poor Hearts team ;)

Very poor result for Celtic today. Hearts were far from being at full strength looking at team sheet yet they beat a near full strength Celtic team (Scott Brown excluded). I have seen highlights of the game, and yet again poor defending for the first goal. To be fair, the Hearts winner was down to a world class cross and I wouldn't blame the defending too much. However, the first goal was comical stuff. The two centre backs are not playing as a unit, Loovens is clearly not a very good player. Celtic would have been better off letting the guy sign for Rangers, Lawell has got burnt here big style. The guy just isnt mobile enough to be a centre half, he constantly gets caught out of position and puts his teammates in trouble. Gary Galdwell is a much better defender as was proven when he won player of the year last season. He is suspended now so McManus comes back in to play with Loovens next week. Yet more disruption. Kenny Miller must be rubbing his hands together right now at the prospect of having a real go at Celtic's back 2. Mowbray needs to get it sorted, he needs to get inside the minds of these defenders and inspire them before its too late. He needs to be given funds for a new defender, possibly part funding deal by shipping out McManus. I can't see many buyers for Loovens who is rank.:( Surely Celtic must get Darren O Dea back to play him with Caldwell???

Following on from my previous post, what do the Celtic fans on here feel Mowbray needs to do with his defence. And please be realistic, signing Vidic etc is a non runner. Could I throw a name in the hat as a potential stop gap signing for 18 months, Sol Campbell?? I think he and Gary Caldwell would make a decent partnership. Mowbray has decided that Caldwell/Loovens are his first choice, I thought given a run of games these guys would gel, but it seems not. Mowbray, to be fair to him, cannot wait weeks for them to gel as its costing Celtic points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Can i just say huge couple of games for the mighty Hibs in the next fortnight with a game away to St Johnstone sandwiched between two home games against rangers and hearts,if we could win those then we could really kick on in the new year have to say i was not a fan of John Hughes but he has done a fantastic job at Hibs so far.Stokes is starting to hit form and Liam MIller just oozes class in the middle of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

1967 wrote: »
    Can i just say huge couple of games for the mighty Hibs in the next fortnight with a game away to St Johnstone sandwiched between two home games against rangers and hearts,if we could win those then we could really kick on in the new year have to say i was not a fan of John Hughes but he has done a fantastic job at Hibs so far.Stokes is starting to hit form and Liam MIller just oozes class in the middle of the park.

Hibs are looking a tough prospect for any team right now, the form team and along with Rangers the best defensive record in the league.
    Should be a good game saturday.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Hibs are looking a tough prospect for any team right now, the form team and along with Rangers the best defensive record in the league.
    Should be a good game saturday.

It should except we play Hibs on Sunday :P

1967 wrote: »

Should be a great game between Hibs and Rangers....... Looking forward to it..

Brewster wrote: »
    Following on from my previous post, what do the Celtic fans on here feel Mowbray needs to do with his defence. And please be realistic, signing Vidic etc is a non runner. Could I throw a name in the hat as a potential stop gap signing for 18 months, Sol Campbell?? I think he and Gary Caldwell would make a decent partnership. Mowbray has decided that Caldwell/Loovens are his first choice, I thought given a run of games these guys would gel, but it seems not. Mowbray, to be fair to him, cannot wait weeks for them to gel as its costing Celtic points.

Brewster my man TM has given the 3 central muppets enough chances and he probably has his eye on the Jan transfer window. Caldwell's contract demands look like not being met so he could be away, with WGS fav to sign him. I would not be surprised to see someone coming in our direction if it does happen. If they cant afford to pay Caldwell theres no chance of paying Campbell (dont want him either). Watching TM on Sunday left me feeling he maybe thinking of chucking it as rumour has it the family are gone south. Some experinced head behind the heid :D would probably be our best bet, someone like Sol.

Brewster my man TM has given the 3 central muppets enough chances and he probably has his eye on the Jan transfer window. Caldwell's contract demands look like not being met so he could be away, with WGS fav to sign him. I would not be surprised to see someone coming in our direction if it does happen. If they cant afford to pay Caldwell theres no chance of paying Campbell (dont want him either). Watching TM on Sunday left me feeling he maybe thinking of chucking it as rumour has it the family are gone south. Some experinced head behind the heid :D would probably be our best bet, someone like Sol.

If Campbell would sign for Celtic on a 6 month deal with the option of a further 12 months, id sign him up. He is a fit lad, his age wouldnt be a problem. Look at Davie Weir! I dont know what his wages are, can't imagine he was on massive wages at Notts County. I genuinely think Caldwell is a better player than some of the Celtic fans on here given him credit for. Loovens no, but Caldwell is decent. He was a standout for Celtic and Scotland in the past, you don't just lose this ability. His contract situation and lack of a decent man beside him is unsettling him IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Campbell on 45k a week?! I would have said 25k max...

Gary Galdwell is a good player and will be prove it whether thats at Celtic Park or elsewhere! He is suffering from having a lack of a decent player beside him and contract uncertainty. If Celtic were to keep one of the three, it should be Caldwell IMHO. McManus seems to have gone backwards, and your right, Loovens is not a good player and I dont think he ever will be. Holland can't exactly be blessed with many decent defenders should be make the squad. Someone mentioned that O'Dea is not even getting a regular game at Reading? What is the story there?

I dont know what Caldwell was looking for re a new contract. I am sure he will have asked for a wage to make him one of Celtic's best paid players. If Celtic are not going to offer him terms that he considers acceptable, id expect them to cash in on him in January. I dont think there would be any shortage of offers for him. Not much point keeping him to end of season, may as well get O Dea back to replace Caldwell.

• Advertisement

Old Firm Ref Announced

Rookie referee for Old Firm game

Steven Conroy will come face-to-face with Walter Smith at Parkhead on January 3
    Thomas Jordan

0 commentsPublished on 22 Dec 2009

STEVE CONROY will take charge of his first Old Firm clash when Celtic and Rangers go head-to-head at Parkhead on January 3.

It will be 43-year-old Conroy’s first crack at handling an Old Firm clash – and the SFA are convinced he has what it takes to come through the biggest test in his refereeing career with flying colours.

Conroy has taken charge of games involving both Celtic and Rangers in the past, but this is his first oppor-tunity to be the man in the middle when they are facing each other.

The SFA aim to introduce a new batch of referees to the famous fixture.

The only top-flight officials who have taken charge of an Old Firm clash are Craig Thomson, Dougie McDonald and Calum Murray as the recent retirements of Kenny Clark and Stuart Dougal have left the SFA short of referees with Old Firm experience.

But Conroy is now believed to possess the credentials to cope with whatever the fixture might throw at him – and it is understood he has worked closely with referees’ chief Hugh Dallas in recent times.

He did, however, send Walter Smith to the stand earlier this season as Rangers dropped two points against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

The whistler had earlier sent off Pedro Mendes in one of four red cards he has shown in 11 appearances this season. He has also issued 49 cautions in those matches.

Conroy was also in charge when Celtic drew at home to Dundee United earlier in the season as well as in their recent victory over St Mirren.

So i think we can all agree before hand....no matter what the result. The referee was ****e!

And that has anything to do with :confused:

lol, could be...you need all the help you can get at the back anyway! :p

Dont worry about BBE...his mothers staying with him justnow, always puts him on edge! :D

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. :o

As much as I love my mom she is here until the 6th January and she tends to do my head in everything has to be done at a certain time and in a certain way :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Sorry about that. :o

As much as I love my mom she is here until the 6th January and she tends to do my head in everything has to be done at a certain time and in a certain way :eek:

That's mothers for ya. Hope she doesn't read boards.ie! :D

Happy Christmas all by the way.

Merry Xmas to everyone........... Have a great day tomorrow

Merry Christmas, just about to take the presents down from the attic and get up an an unholy hour in the morning. Still lying snow here so it will be a white Christmas :)

• Advertisement

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you and your familys have a good one. :D

Hope everyone is having a great day

Merry Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

2-0 final score, Hamilton were hard done by though. A dreadful call by the ref to rule out their equaliser with 10 mins to go saved Celtic. The team just doesn't score near enough given the amount of chances they make, Mowbray needs to sort that out soon because it probably would have cost us another 2 points today had it not been for a terrible refereeing decision.

I would say Celtic would have been hard done by if that game was drawn. Celtic had enough chances to win 10-0(or 1).

The ratio of goals scored against good chances is getting worse. We need to start eating into that Rangers goal difference.

Good win for the Gers today keeps the pressure on Celtic and didn't do our goal difference any harm.

1967 must ne raging at the hibs keeper

Yes he is raging at Makalamby but you are always waiting for something like that to happen with him,i really was not expecting that result today especially with the start we had and totally dominated the first twenty minutes then a misplaced pass by Liam Miller ( a rare occurence of late) and rangers equalise and go on to dominate the rest of the game,still to put it in perspective its our first defeat in thirteen games and we are having a good season but today was a bit of a kick in the balls so to speak.

Yes, I watched game and Hibs were all over Rangers for first 20, but goals change games, and this was never as evident as it was today. Once Miller equalised there was only one team winning game. Rangers were very clinical. Miller is having a great season, Celtic were wrong to get rid of him. I said this at the time, I have always rated him as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Small consolation with Stokes scoring the fastest ever goal in the SPL. I think Ma-Kalambay may have been nursing a knock to his Leg for most of that game. Certainly not his best day at work today.

The injury to his leg had sod all to do with the two second half goals he conceded the first was a total shocker and killed any chance we had of getting back into the game,on Stokes it was good to see him score although it was great build up play by Zemmama the only good point of a truly disappointing match for Hibs.

I just saw on sky news Celtic's game against Kilmarnock has been called off due to the weather. Good news ahead of Old Firm game on Sunday in a way, ensures players will be fresh as they don't have to worry about picking up any injuries or suspensions ahead of game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement