Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nah, I would much prefer the game to go ahead and for us to get another 3 points. Shame on Kilmarnock that they could not get their ground and carpark cleared of the heavy frost and whats left of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Nah, I would much prefer the game to go ahead and for us to get another 3 points. Shame on Kilmarnock that they could not get their ground and carpark cleared of the heavy frost and whats left of the snow.

Yeah, I suppose there are two ways of looking at it. You'd be none too pleased should McGeady or Robson pick up a needless injury ruling them out of Sunday. Pros and cons to it I guess........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Hibs game at St Johnstone off same story they cant clear the outside of the stadium its covered in snow,was looking forward to it as bbc alba were showing the whole game at 10 o clock tomorrow night,the good thing is that we now concentrate on the game at the weekend against the jambos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

1967 wrote: »
    Hibs game at St Johnstone off same story they cant clear the outside of the stadium its covered in snow,was looking forward to it as bbc alba were showing the whole game at 10 o clock tomorrow night,the good thing is that we now concentrate on the game at the weekend against the jambos.

Would dearly love if we could give the Jambo's a good Humping (8-Nil or better 0 that might be being a bit hopeful) to start 2010 with a bang....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    I just saw on sky news Celtic's game against Kilmarnock has been called off due to the weather. Good news ahead of Old Firm game on Sunday in a way, ensures players will be fresh as they don't have to worry about picking up any injuries or suspensions ahead of game.

On the other hand we could be 7 points behind going into Sunday's game:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Kris Boyd has just broke Larrsson's Record by 2 goals now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Osu wrote: »
    Kris Boyd has just broke Larrsson's Record by 2 goals now....

Great to see but Larsson was by far the better all round player still won't complain 5 for him tonight in a nice 7-1 win.
    Looking forward to Sunday :D

Bah! Another team who collapse against Rangers

On the Boyd thing, impressive as the stat is, some perspective is needed. Larsson played a much smaller number of games to reach his SPL goal tally. Obviously the more bites at the cherry you get the more your goal tally should be. What people should be looking at is the ratio of scores scored versus games played.. anyone know the stats?

Going into Sunday with the potential to be 10 points behind and a shed load of GD is not good at all and it really brings tonights farcical postponement into focus.

Edit: also in the 2 horse league that is the SPL, what is the record against the other horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hopefully I wont read any idiot journalist trying to make out that Boyd is a better player than Larsson because of that stat. There will be a few in Scotland at it over the next couple of days

Impressive record but as pointed out, he's not a big match player at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It says something about the SPL when someone like Boyd can become the all-time scorer.:p

Johner wrote: »
    It says something about the SPL when someone like Boyd can become the all-time scorer.:p

SPL was only created in 1998

McGrory scored more than double of Boyd's record

Dempsey wrote: »
    Hopefully I wont read any idiot journalist trying to make out that Boyd is a better player than Larsson because of that stat. There will be a few in Scotland at it over the next couple of days

Impressive record but as pointed out, he's not a big match player at all
    Don't think you will get many if any at all saying he is a better all round player than Larsson that would be stupid.

But already the sour grapes are out I see in the SPL thats the only thing we are talking about Boyd now holds the record.

As for Sunday well against Celtics defence and the way we are scoring especially Boyd and Miller it could be interesting ;)

Thought this pic was funny
    [IMG][/img]15f6s1h.jpg

Not in overall footballing terms just sticking it in the back of the net :p

• Advertisement

Not in overall footballing terms just sticking it in the back of the net :p

Rangers still offering him that pay cut?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Rangers still offering him that pay cut?

Well from what I am hearing he is ready to sign a new four year deal so if he does I would say he is happy enough with the terms

PS don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)

Don't think you will get many if any at all saying he is a better all round player than Larsson that would be stupid.

But already the sour grapes are out I see in the SPL thats the only thing we are talking about Boyd now holds the record.

As for Sunday well against Celtics defence and the way we are scoring especially Boyd and Miller it could be interesting ;)

Didn't Miller get sent off? How can he play?

Didn't Miller get sent off? How can he play?

Rangers can appeal the sending off ;)

Well from what I am hearing he is ready to sign a new four year deal so if he does I would say he is happy enough with the terms

PS don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/10/07/kris-boyd-contract-row-continues-as-rangers-hitman-refuses-pay-cut-86908-21729078/

The Daily Ranger telling porkies?? Never!! :pac:
    Rangers can appeal the sending off ;)

According to the BBC, he's ruled out :p
    Thoughts turned to an unlikely comeback when Miller was shown a straight red card for violent conduct with 51 minutes gone following a tangle on the turf with Dods - ruling him out of the Old Firm clash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8431850.stm

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Kris Boyd.... He is not as good an all round player as Larsson, however it is a fantastic achievement considering how good a player Larsson was. Kris Boyd scores goals and does it as well as anyone in the game once he is in the position to score in the box.

Great result for Rangers last night, but as I posted on thread, a good night for Celtic in some respects with Miller being banned from OLD FIRM game. I said Celtic's game being called off was a positive as they would avoid needless suspensions, and there you go. I rest my case!;)

I believe Miller would have caused Celtic's defence all sorts of problems on Sunday, ironic in many respects considering Boyd has just bagged 5 in a match!!

Looking forward to Sunday now, Rangers without Miller and Bougherra will give Celtic the edge now.....

Now here is the perspective;

Boyd scored 160 goals in 283 appearances making the ratio of 0.56 goals per game

Larsson scored 158 goals in 186 appearances making the ratio of 0.85 goals per game

Miller gave the Celtic defence a torrid time last game therefore I am happy if he is out

Boyd scored 160 goals in 283 appearances making the ratio of 0.56 goals per game

Larsson scored 158 goals in 186 appearances making the ratio of 0.85 goals per game

Miller gave the Celtic defence a torrid time last game therefore I am happy if he is out

Larsson left Celtic for Barcelona and helped them win the UCL & La Liga

When Rangers sell Boyd to satisfy the banks, Birmingham will make their swoop! :pac:

Rangers have appealed the red card think Miller might play on Sunday ;)

As is their right although I fully expect those who condemned Celtic of manipulating the appeals process to suit to condemn Rangers. I suspect there will be silence though.

He won't be playing as Mr Collum has said he is happy enough with his decision so hey ho just have to do the business without him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Lads anyone know where to watch the game on Sunday in Dublin? I know the Castle in Summerhill has been the place to go for a while. Anyone know if they're showing it on Sunday with a band playing after? Its been a while since i was on a good bhoys session.

Rangers look in good form at the mo and they need taking down a peg. C'mon the celts!

Lads anyone know where to watch the game on Sunday in Dublin? I know the Castle in Summerhill has been the place to go for a while. Anyone know if they're showing it on Sunday with a band playing after? Its been a while since i was on a good bhoys session.

Rangers look in good form at the mo and they need taking down a peg. C'mon the celts!

Come up to Donegal and watch it with myself and EireBear :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Come up to Donegal and watch it with myself and EireBear :p
    Yeh sounds great. A couple of Rangers fans in Donegal of all places, that must be some sight. :p

Yeh sounds great. A couple of Rangers fans in Donegal of all places, that must be some sight. :p

Well when EB is home theres four of us head to the pub Myself EB and his two brothers our local is normally full of Celtic fans and I can hand on heart say there has been very little bother the only time there has been is when either strangers over from Glasgow or down from the North start their nonsense and it stops pretty quickly when the locals take our side.

Don't get me wrong plenty of slagging goes on but it is taken in good part mostly

• Advertisement

Rangers have appealed the red card think Miller might play on Sunday ;)

Aww looks like the little appeal failed. Diddums.

He won't be playing as Mr Collum has said he is happy enough with his decision so hey ho just have to do the business without him :p
    Aww looks like the little appeal failed. Diddums.

You obviously didn't read my post before you posted your nonsense ;)

Place is closed. The Players Lounge in Fairview is the main spot now

Well when EB is home theres four of us head to the pub Myself EB and his two brothers our local is normally full of Celtic fans and I can hand on heart say there has been very little bother the only time there has been is when either strangers over from Glasgow or down from the North start their nonsense and it stops pretty quickly when the locals take our side.

Don't get me wrong plenty of slagging goes on but it is taken in good part mostly

Doesnt say much for the so called celtic fans wherever that is.

Hopefully the game won't be called off tomorrow

Doesnt say much for the so called celtic fans wherever that is.

What doesn't :confused:

Are you saying the local tic fans should have taken the part of bigots ??????????

What doesn't :confused:

Are you saying the local tic fans should have taken the part of bigots ??????????

What bigots?? Now it's me that's confused.

What bigots?? Now it's me that's confused.

LOL seems to be a lot of confusion must be the time of year :p

Just trying to clear up what you were getting at re: showing up Celtic fans in a bad light

LOL seems to be a lot of confusion must be the time of year :p

Just trying to clear up what you were getting at re: showing up Celtic fans in a bad light

Only winding you up. Im bored and trying to pick a wee row. ;)

• Advertisement

Only winding you up. Im bored and trying to pick a wee row. ;)

lol sure there will be plenty of them after the game tomorrow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

right lads, havent been on in a while, mainly because of how frustrated i am with celtic at the moment. it seems the quality of performance from both Celtic and Rangers this year is the wirst in a few years. Evidence of this is a couple of my mates, who wouldnt have celtic as their first team, but still used to watch them, have nows given up on watching them. ''they're muck these days'' is what they would say!

anyway for us real fans we gota stick with them tru thick and thin. so what do you think we should do in the transfer market?
    my suggestion is as follows, altho it might seem a bit mad. if i was mowbray i would spend my whole budget on 2 centre backs. my foundation for this is as follows....our goalie Boruc is fine, Zaluska a fine backup, so no need for change there, i feel our full backs Hinkel and Fox are fine too, Caddis/naylor etc for backup. in modfield i would look to tie down N'guemo ASAP, looks a fine player. w have Brown who i hope will start playing to his potntial soon, McGeady we need to keep, and then maloney is a fine standard. crosas, zhi, ki, robson etc for backup....fine. up fron mcdonald and fortune or samaras can do a job, in the SPL anyway. maybe mowbray could look at bringing in a striker on loan. remember our loan of bellamy a few years back, something along those lines.
    now im not sure what money we have to spend(i was down in dermot desmonds house the other day and was gona ask him how much mowbray would be getting!!) but i reckon he'll be given approx 5million. 2 centre backs for this amount is viable, maybe a proven experienced one for 3.5milliona and another(somewhere from eastern europe they all seem to be coming!) for the remainder.

so in summary my wishlist is as follows:
    centre back.....3.5million
    centre back.....1.5million
    striker.....loan
    N'Guemo.....sign permenently

any other funds raised through sales, for example the sale of mcdonald could be used to bring in a replacement of similar value.

im just pissed off with the centre-back situation and i feel it needs to be sorted, no messing around just get 2 new lads in.
    and in terms of caldwell, i feel he is a good player but only for 89 minutes, he's never far away from making a costly mistake so for that reason id let hom on his merry way to moddlesborough....thats if he can get there with the snow...

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    right lads, havent been on in a while, mainly because of how frustrated i am with celtic at the moment. it seems the quality of performance from both Celtic and Rangers this year is the wirst in a few years. Evidence of this is a couple of my mates, who wouldnt have celtic as their first team, but still used to watch them, have nows given up on watching them. ''they're muck these days'' is what they would say!

anyway for us real fans we gota stick with them tru thick and thin. so what do you think we should do in the transfer market?
    my suggestion is as follows, altho it might seem a bit mad. if i was mowbray i would spend my whole budget on 2 centre backs. my foundation for this is as follows....our goalie Boruc is fine, Zaluska a fine backup, so no need for change there, i feel our full backs Hinkel and Fox are fine too, Caddis/naylor etc for backup. in modfield i would look to tie down N'guemo ASAP, looks a fine player. w have Brown who i hope will start playing to his potntial soon, McGeady we need to keep, and then maloney is a fine standard. crosas, zhi, ki, robson etc for backup....fine. up fron mcdonald and fortune or samaras can do a job, in the SPL anyway. maybe mowbray could look at bringing in a striker on loan. remember our loan of bellamy a few years back, something along those lines.
    now im not sure what money we have to spend(i was down in dermot desmonds house the other day and was gona ask him how much mowbray would be getting!!) but i reckon he'll be given approx 5million. 2 centre backs for this amount is viable, maybe a proven experienced one for 3.5milliona and another(somewhere from eastern europe they all seem to be coming!) for the remainder.

so in summary my wishlist is as follows:
    centre back.....3.5million
    centre back.....1.5million
    striker.....loan
    N'Guemo.....sign permenently

any other funds raised through sales, for example the sale of mcdonald could be used to bring in a replacement of similar value.

im just pissed off with the centre-back situation and i feel it needs to be sorted, no messing around just get 2 new lads in.
    and in terms of caldwell, i feel he is a good player but only for 89 minutes, he's never far away from making a costly mistake so for that reason id let hom on his merry way to moddlesborough....thats if he can get there with the snow...

Caldwell has suffered by not having a regular partner. He was player of year last year (without even Celtic winning league) and he is a better player than most Celtic fans give him credit for. I am not sure how much blame I would place on him for the Rangers goal on Sunday. It was an excellent ball by Davis into a difficult area to defend. Completely different to the goals Celtic have been losing to set piece plays such as at Tannadice recently which were down to poor defending rather than anything excellent opposition did. Problem for Celtic boils down to wages, I am not sure they can afford the 30k a week deals that need to be paid to attact top players. These players just end up in premiership. Loovens needs to go, how this donkey is anywhere near the Dutch squad is mindboggling...:confused::confused:

See Wigan's approach for McDonald has been turned down by Celtic. Quite right too, he is easily Celtic's best finisher and I don't think they can do without him. He should have been playing last Sunday, I think Celtic would have won game had he started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

See Wigan's approach for McDonald has been turned down by Celtic. Quite right too, he is easily Celtic's best finisher and I don't think they can do without him. He should have been playing last Sunday, I think Celtic would have won game had he started...

Agreed but I cant help but feel that Mowbray is in a way justified cos to me McDonald just doesnt look fit and is overweight for a professional footballer and hopefully been droped will be the kick in the backside he needs although he was benched for a few of the big European games aswell and it didnt seem to have the desired effecf, you would think in a world cup year he would be hopping off the ground.

oh and the thoughts of only having Sammy and Fortune as our strikeforce does not bear thinking about tbh.

Agreed but I cant help but feel that Mowbray is in a way justified cos to me McDonald just doesnt look fit and is overweight for a professional footballer and hopefully been droped will be the kick in the backside he needs although he was benched for a few of the big European games aswell and it didnt seem to have the desired effecf, you would think in a world cup year he would be hopping off the ground.

oh and the thoughts of only having Sammy and Fortune as our strikeforce does not bear thinking about tbh.

His form was better last season premier no question, however, leaving this aside and knowing form can come back very quickly, he has to play. He is generally a composed finisher, and looks like Romario at sticking ball in net when compared to Samaras! I actually thought Samaras played well in OF game once he was well away from penalty box!

• Advertisement

His form was better last season premier no question, however, leaving this aside and knowing form can come back very quickly, he has to play. He is generally a composed finisher, and looks like Romario at sticking ball in net when compared to Samaras! I actually thought Samaras played well in OF game once he was well away from penalty box!

Oh I agree he should be one of the first names on the team sheet but if Mowbray thinks he isnt giving it as much as he should be and that he's physical conditioning isnt what it should be then the decision to bench him can be justified, I agree also that Samaras had a very good OF and if we had Sammyy playing like that Scotty in last years form, with McGeady and a fit Maloney on the flanks, a fit Brown beside Nguemo we would have a very different looking league table, alot of ifs and buts there i Know but I think all these are possible in the near future nad for this reason I implore Messr Mowbray to sort out the CB position as a priority and at whatever cost tbh.
    Of course a proven goalscorer would be nice, I've seen us linked with Kitson recently, thats all well and good but the defence has to be the priority IMHO

Oh I agree he should be one of the first names on the team sheet but if Mowbray thinks he isnt giving it as much as he should be and that he's physical conditioning isnt what it should be then the decision to bench him can be justified, I agree also that Samaras had a very good OF and if we had Sammyy playing like that Scotty in last years form, with McGeady and a fit Maloney on the flanks, a fit Brown beside Nguemo we would have a very different looking league table, alot of ifs and buts there i Know but I think all these are possible in the near future nad for this reason I implore Messr Mowbray to sort out the CB position as a priority and at whatever cost tbh.
    Of course a proven goalscorer would be nice, I've seen us linked with Kitson recently, thats all well and good but the defence has to be the priority IMHO

Defense is obviously the priority over attack, no question.... It looks like Caldwell will go, my own views on Caldwell are very clear on this forum. I think Celtic will miss him, im am not altogether sure there are that many defenders better than Caldwell that will want to play in SPL. If Caldwell gets a 3 or 4 year deal at his new club and a decent centre back beside him, watch him go from strength to strength! You read it here first!!

Rumour has it that Celtic are going to make a move for Sean St Ledger in the next week or so, not a bad move if it happens imo

Rumour has it that Celtic are going to make a move for Sean St Ledger in the next week or so, not a bad move if it happens imo

yes, that would be a good signing. Id imagine Preston and Darren Ferguson would be loathe to lose him. Id imagine hed cost a few bob as a result.

Looks like Robson & Caldwell may be going to Middlesbough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/8447259.stm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement