Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Looks like Robson & Caldwell may be going to Middlesbough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/8447259.stm

And wee Strachan seemingly wants Flood and Killen as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Unless Celtic have better players lined up, they will be sorely missed. Robson is a super player, I have said it many times on here. Celtic will miss his dig and drive from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    Unless Celtic have better players lined up, they will be sorely missed. Robson is a super player, I have said it many times on here. Celtic will miss his dig and drive from midfield.

One footed, one trick pony. Ya, he contributed greatly when he first arrived but now nowhere near good enough. Do you actually watch Celtic matches?

One footed, one trick pony. Ya, he contributed greatly when he first arrived but now nowhere near good enough. Do you actually watch Celtic matches?

Barry Robson is good enough to play for Celtic, I doubt many Celtic fans would share your opinion. One footed?? At least he can put a ball into the box and hit a set piece. Do you watch many Celtic matches??

Barry Robson is good enough to play for Celtic, I doubt many Celtic fans would share your opinion. One footed?? At least he can put a ball into the box and hit a set piece. Do you watch many Celtic matches??

Most Celtic fans that i know, do in fact share my opinion. TBH i dont particularly care either way if he stays or goes. And yes, one footed.

Most Celtic fans that i know, do in fact share my opinion. TBH i dont particularly care either way if he stays or goes. And yes, one footed.

Yes, he only has a left foot, but its a very effective left boot to be fair. He has started something like Celtic's last dozen games, if he goes to Boro who replaces him?? How much is 'Dave' going to fancy a cold wet night at Kilmarnock in the coming weeks?? These are the sort of games Robson thrives in, he can put his foot in, he can drive the team forward and he can create and even score the odd goal. If Celtic have better players lined up, then fine Coillte Bhoy, let him go, but Id like to see them arriving before players like Robson and indeed Caldwell head out door. Maybe it would be more pertinent to let Caldwell run his contract down, the money they will get for him now is very small.

Do you think NGuemo is a more effective player for Celtic than Robson??

Celtic got Dunfermline in cup, however I hear Dunfermline may be thrown out for fielding an ineligible player.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic sign new defender from AIK Stockholm, Caldwell is hopefully on his way and we can build from the back and stop conceding stupid goals in every game. O'Dea should deffo be giving a run in the team he is always solid and gets the odd goal. Also Celtics games against Morton this Tuesday and Kilmarnock next Wednesday have been postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Take £600k and run IMO. Robson did a job, but he is the wrong side of 30, spends too long on the treatment table and it isn't clear what his strongest position is.

Clear 10 grand off the wagebill and get a decent young midfielder in. Oxo.

Badabing wrote: »
    Celtic sign new defender from AIK Stockholm, Caldwell is hopefully on his way and we can build from the back and stop conceding stupid goals in every game. O'Dea should deffo be giving a run in the team he is always solid and gets the odd goal. Also Celtics games against Morton this Tuesday and Kilmarnock next Wednesday have been postponed.

Yeah some dutch dude! Perhaps he might bring Loovens onto a game, communication shouldnt be a problem anyway, they can speak in their mother tongue!

• Advertisement

Take £600k and run IMO. Robson did a job, but he is the wrong side of 30, spends too long on the treatment table and it isn't clear what his strongest position is.

Clear 10 grand off the wagebill and get a decent young midfielder in. Oxo.

he did, he did a very good job at times IMHO. A better job than many other first team squad members at Celtic have been doing. As I say, DAVE has been signed, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about him. I would wager though, he might find the physical stuff in SPL tough going away from home on the wet nights...

he did, he did a very good job at times IMHO. A better job than many other first team squad members at Celtic have been doing. As I say, DAVE has been signed, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about him. I would wager though, he might find the physical stuff in SPL tough going away from home on the wet nights...

You admit you know nothing about him but then go on to say that he might not like the physicality of the SPL or the wet weather. :rolleyes:I suggest you do a bit of research first. I'm sure it wasnt all sunshine and light in the Sweedish League.

Could be a bit of a charcater.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJcqz0tczSA&feature=related

"He starts it , i'll finish it" LOL. Novo, Lafferty et al, watch yer backs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Lads, I suggest you re read my post. You obviously didnt read my post correctly or you don't know who Dave is!! :D:D I would have thought any decent Celtic would know who Dave is! :P

For the record, Dave is Celtic's new Korean signing. I doubt he will have experienced many cold wet night at grounds like Rugby park and the likes.. The point I was trying to make, is this is the type of scenario when Barry Robson excelled....

^^^^^^^^^See above Coillte Bhoy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^;);)

You admit you know nothing about him but then go on to say that he might not like the physicality of the SPL or the wet weather. :rolleyes:I suggest you do a bit of research first. I'm sure it wasnt all sunshine and light in the Sweedish League.

Could be a bit of a charcater.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJcqz0tczSA&feature=related

"He starts it , i'll finish it" LOL. Novo, Lafferty et al, watch yer backs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I won't miss Flood or Killen one bit, Robson won't be a massive loss either, he is ok but has gone seriously downhill over the last year from what I have seen. Caldwell is by no means a great defender but between himself, McManus and Loovens I would have to say I felt more confident with him than either of the other two.

I hope to see Mowbray sign at least one more decent player in January, its fair enough dumping dead wood like Flood and Killen but we're not Rangers, we can afford to strengthen and if Rangers hang on to Boyd it is something we really need to do if we want to win the league this year.

Charco wrote: »
    I won't miss Flood or Killen one bit, Robson won't be a massive loss either, he is ok but has gone seriously downhill over the last year from what I have seen. Caldwell is by no means a great defender but between himself, McManus and Loovens I would have to say I felt more confident with him than either of the other two.

I hope to see Mowbray sign at least one more decent player in January, its fair enough dumping dead wood like Flood and Killen but we're not Rangers, we can afford to strengthen and if Rangers hang on to Boyd it is something we really need to do if we want to win the league this year.

I just read Boyd is out injured for 6 weeks, hernia operation. That is a serious blow for Rangers.

Your spot on, Caldwell by far the best of the infamous trio without being a world beater.

^^^^^^^^^See above Coillte Bhoy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^;);)

Fair enough Brewster. I thought you were referring to the Dutch lad.

Fair enough Brewster. I thought you were referring to the Dutch lad.

You could argue I should't be making assumptions about the Korean Dave either though! Time will tell.............. Maybe Robson will be forgotten about very quickly and wont be missed at all......

• Advertisement

You could argue I should't be making assumptions about the Korean Dave either though! Time will tell.............. Maybe Robson will be forgotten about very quickly and wont be missed at all......

I was going to do just that but can't be bothered arguing with you all the time. Later....:P

I was going to do just that but can't be bothered arguing with you all the time. Later....:P

Good that makes two of us so! :D

Looks like Caldwell is signing for Wigan instead of Boro. It seems Wigan wanted to sign Bougherra of Rangers, but Bougherra wouldn't go to Wigan according to Dave Whelan, the Wigan Chairman. Fee of around 1m pounds being reported, not bad for a guy with 6 months left on his contract.

Looks like Caldwell is signing for Wigan instead of Boro. It seems Wigan wanted to sign Bougherra of Rangers, but Bougherra wouldn't go to Wigan according to Dave Whelan, the Wigan Chairman. Fee of around 1m pounds being reported, not bad for a guy with 6 months left on his contract.

Signed according ot SSN

Good luck to Caldwell. Decent guy by all accounts. Not sure whether Titus Bramble will make for the best centre half partner! Ouuch!

Do any Celtic fans know who was the last Celtic player to sign for a premiership team before Caldwell? I don't have answer by the way, im asking!

Edit: Jan Vennegor of Hesslink, although technically he had left Celtic hadn't he? Before him........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Liam Miller maybe?

• Advertisement

Shaun Maloney

Do any Celtic fans know who was the last Celtic player to sign for a premiership team before Caldwell? I don't have answer by the way, im asking!

Edit: Jan Vennegor of Hesslink, although technically he had left Celtic hadn't he? Before him........

Weren't Derby in the Premiership when we sold them Kenny Miller? If so he was the last I think.

Shaun Maloney

I think I remember Kenny Miller being sold in the summer transfer window and Maloney in the winter one? So which came first?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Willo Flood gone to Middlesbrough, should be a good move for the lad.

I think I remember Kenny Miller being sold in the summer transfer window and Maloney in the winter one? So which came first?!

Maloney went in Jan window and The other **** went before the start of next season.

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Willo Flood gone to Middlesbrough, should be a good move for the lad.

Hopefully. He wasn't going to make it at Celtic.

Maloney went in Jan window and The other **** went before the start of next season.

So Miller it is then Charco...

Peter Lawwell should never have sold Miller, one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made. I think even the most stubborn Celtic fan would have to admit this.

Got me thinking about last player who played for a Scottish club and went on to be an integral part of a Premiership team. Craig Gordon, Stephen Fletcher maybe? They have hardly set heather on fire. Was on a Birmingham fans forum and Barry Ferguson has been a stand out for them this season apparently. They are delighted with him but probably too soon to judge whether he has been a success.

JVOH has flopped, he is not good enough for premiership I feel, too immobile.

I think Caldwell could struggle at Wigan with Bramble beside him. I don't rate Titus at all! If Caldwell can get a decent partner, I think he will do well as I have said on here.

Peter Lawwell should never have sold Miller, one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made. I think even the most stubborn Celtic fan would have to admit this.

I would love Miller in the squad now, with hindsight it was a mistake to sell him but I remember at the time thinking that it was a fabulous piece of business by Lawwell, his goals to game ratio was poor and £3 million was a very good price to get for a striker who only scored 11 goals in 46 games, mostly against SPL opponents (according to wikipedia he has scored 27 goals in 61 games since moving back to Rangers :pac:).
    Got me thinking about last player who played for a Scottish club and went on to be an integral part of a Premiership team.

Carlos Cuellar this season would come close, he has started all but one game for Aston Villa this season and has been in good form. Papers in Spain were linking him to Real Madrid over the Christmas.

Charco wrote: »
    I would love Miller in the squad now, with hindsight it was a mistake to sell him but I remember at the time thinking that it was a fabulous piece of business by Lawwell, his goals to game ratio was poor and £3 million was a very good price to get for a striker who only scored 11 goals in 46 games, mostly against SPL opponents (according to wikipedia he has scored 27 goals in 61 games since moving back to Rangers :pac:).

Carlos Cuellar this season would come close, he has started all but one game for Aston Villa this season and has been in good form. Papers in Spain were linking him to Real Madrid over the Christmas.

Spot on Charco, forgot about him, he has probably been the biggest success in many a year.

Miller has never been prolific, mind you, I doubt if he has scored more at this stage of season in his career to date. Gives you so much more than goals though with his workrate and movement, id say his assists ratio is decent.

Miller and McDonald could have worked very well for Celtic had partnership been given a chance to develop. Easy to be wise after event as they say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic play Morton in the cup next Tuesday and if it's a draw the replay at Celtic park would be the next night, that seems a bit mad .

Hopefully it won't come to a replay, plus Dunfermline have been kicked out of the Scottish Cup so if we win it will be one less game to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote: »

Aaah, good point. How did I miss that? Yeah, it'll be Stenhousemuir so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Celtic 0-1 Falkirk :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

1-1 Samaras

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    1-1 Samaras

Just seen it finished 1 all. Disappointing result for Celtic. I just checked their team sheet and there were far too many inexperienced players on that teamsheet. We were discussing about Caldwell and Robson leaving this week, I don't think Celtic can let players of this quality go and expect the like of Dave to come in and hit ground running. Its not fair on the kid.

I can't understand why Celtic and their supporters were so blasé about these players leaving. NGuemo was away in Africa, Robson was needed in midfield.

Some suggestions in papers that Mowbray wanted to keep Caldwell and Lawwell forced his sale?

Good three points for Rangers Eirebear, with Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd missing for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Just going by Saturday Soccer on Sky, that Darren O'Dea had a shocker. That wont do his confidence much good.

And again McGinn is left on the bench. Is he injured or what? He's arguebly been their most effective player anytime he starts.

From a Cork perspective it was good to see Colin Healy putting in a good performance. Hope Roy Keane will take notice.

Just going by Saturday Soccer on Sky, that Darren O'Dea had a shocker. That wont do his confidence much good.

And again McGinn is left on the bench. Is he injured or what? He's arguebly been their most effective player anytime he starts.

From a Cork perspective it was good to see Colin Healy putting in a good performance. Hope Roy Keane will take notice.

Did Healy play well? Hope you had a good game, hes had more than enough bad luck in his career to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I just don't get Celtic tbh. What with Rangers in dire straights if they had invested £15 or £20 million into that team they could have dominated the SPL for years to come. I think it's an opportunity lost in fairness and I'm sure Rangers fans are delighted.

Again just going by what they were saying on Sky.

Said Healy was contolling midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yuo think I'd have learned my lesson by now - never EVER include a Scottish team on your accumulator! Useless bloody shower of Shamrock Rovers wannabes!

I should send Tony Mowbray an invoice for €210.

Coillte_Bhoy, I think Barry was missed by Celtic today. They were very poor by all accounts, reading the online reports. Realistically how many players in the Celtic first team are good enough for Celtic? Do you think the likes of Zhi, the Chinese player is a better player than Robson? I personally doubt it very much....:mad:

Yuo think I'd have learned my lesson by now - never EVER include a Scottish team on your accumulator! Useless bloody shower of Shamrock Rovers wannabes!

Ouuch!!

Ive given up gambling for the new year.

Its good to sit back and enjoy a Saturday again.:)

So many times last this season Celtic results have left me in the gutter and depressed.

• Advertisement

I just don't get Celtic tbh. What with Rangers in dire straights if they had invested £15 or £20 million into that team they could have dominated the SPL for years to come. I think it's an opportunity lost in fairness and I'm sure Rangers fans are delighted.

Obviously Celtic don't have the finances either Instant Karma? Why sell Gary Caldwell, player of the year last year, and then have some teenager playing today?? Just let him run down his contract and get another 6 months out of him. Rangers are that skint that they can't even offer new contracts without banks permission and yet they are nine clear of Celtic, albeit having playing one more. Its not good enough by Celtic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement