Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Oh come on. Caldwell was crap as a player and to get that kinda money for them was great to be honest he was cleaning out the trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another game and more dropped points. I am still hopeful although we are becoming like Liverpool... toothless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Oh come on. Caldwell was crap as a player and to get that kinda money for them was great to be honest he was cleaning out the trash.

Dont know where to start on the statement?? Your in a battle with Rangers to win a league, so what do you do? You get rid of your best defender for probably a couple of hundred grand and Darren O Dea, having played no football apparently for months comes in and give away the Celtic goal. A fit Caldwell WOULD not have been caught out like O Dea was.

Celtic knew N'Guemo was away on international duty. They left them with two midfield slots to fill when they agreed to sell Barry Robson? One player came in to make a debut and the other made his 2nd odd appearance? What does Mowbray expect?? Clearing out the trash? You get rid of a Scottish International defender and midfielder and they are replaced by some charlton reject and some youth team player that Id never heard of. Give my head peace. I said it at the time and I stand by it more than ever, Robson and Caldwell are not dead wood. They are a dozen players in first team squad at Celtic WORSE than these two. Celtic would not have won league in 2008 had it not been for Barry Robson. Do any Celtic fans disagree with this. Its easy for me to look in from outside and see this. Its sticking out like a sore thumb. I dont know whether to blame Mowbray or Lawwell. I can't believe some of the rubbish spouted on here, so Zheng Zhi is better than Robson? Would you stop.......

Caldwell scores a few ogs one in a high profile game and suddenly he is crap?? Don't buy it for a moment. If Caldwell is crap, my goodness, what does that make Loovens, McManus, Naylor, Fox etc etc... Some of you guys haven't a clue. By all means get rid of trash, but if Robson and Caldwell are trash and deemed inferior to other Celtic first team players, then heavens help Celtic is all Id day.:(:(:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I agree, have for several months. Caldwell was badly treated by Celtic imo. Robson would have been worth his contract on his attitude in the dressing room alone.

Celtic have been struggling for a leader since Lennon retired, we sold 2 good pros, lads you want in your corner when the going is tough, for pennies. Lawwell is more to blame than Mowbray.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    I agree, have for several months. Caldwell was badly treated by Celtic imo. Robson would have been worth his contract on his attitude in the dressing room alone.

Celtic have been struggling for a leader since Lennon retired, we sold 2 good pros, lads you want in your corner when the going is tough, for pennies. Lawwell is more to blame than Mowbray.

Its beyond a joke. To make these changes in January is mindboggling. Whatever about summer, but January?? And majority of Celtic fans on here seem to disagree with me/you?? Zheng Zhi, who is this imposter??? Rejected by Charlton and not good enough for coca cola league. Its laughable if it wasn't so serious. Yet he is better than Barry Robson?? Aye, Dats right bhoys. If I was a passionate Celtic fan, Id be doing my nut at the board. I blame Lawwell too, far too much influence I believe. Robson wasn't even out of contract in summer, whatever about Caldwell, but Robson decision makes no sense.

Brewster wrote: »
    Its beyond a joke. To make these changes in January is mindboggling. Whatever about summer, but January?? And majority of Celtic fans on here seem to disagree with me/you?? Zheng Zhi, who is this imposter??? Rejected by Charlton and not good enough for coca cola league. Its laughable if it wasn't so serious. Yet he is better than Barry Robson?? Aye, Dats right bhoys. If I was a passionate Celtic fan, Id be doing my nut at the board. I blame Lawwell too, far too much influence I believe. Robson wasn't even out of contract in summer, whatever about Caldwell, but Robson decision makes no sense.

I think Robson's contract was up this summer but I havent checked that. I think maybe Celtic had a year option but havent activated it because of his recent injury problems.

Zhi & Ki are marketing ploys imo, nothing special about them but maybe Ki could be a decent player if he adapts to the SPL. Lawwell thinking of exploiting markets than winning silverware.

Josh Thompson & Darren O'Dea are not good enough, that was obvious last season yet thats what we've been reduced to because of penny pinching. Caldwell deserved better than to be hardballed over his contract considering he was a key part in Celtic getting to debt free status and winning several trophies and progressing past the UCL group stages, twice!

Lawwell found a good balance when Strachan was at Celtic but he's gone completely into penny pinching. Whether the failed Setanta deal is a factor in his decisions or not, the fact remains that Celtic are spending the more in transfer fees and wages in the SPL yet dont have the quality or bottle to grind out the hard results that win leagues.

We are in danger of becoming like Harlem globetrotters, doing show piece friendlies, have iconic Asian players that drive commercial revenue yet cant do the business in competitive matches over a season. This policy is decided by Lawwell and he has shown his limitations in identifying players and their worth when you want to win a league title.

Quality isnt always available on the cheap like Larsson, Lubo, Boruc, Hinkel. At some stage you will have to bite the bullet and pay the going rate for what you want.

We are in danger of becoming like Harlem globetrotters, doing show piece friendlies, have iconic Asian players that drive commercial revenue yet cant do the business in competitive matches over a season. This policy is decided by Lawwell and he has shown his limitations in identifying players and their worth when you want to win a league title.

After McManus went off today there wasnt a scotsman on the field for Celtic. With only Forrest and McGowan sitting on the bench from Scotland.

Thats something that didnt even (often) happen at Rangers during the Advocaat years youve got to be careful not to lose your identity. Although with 4 Irishmen in the team maybe im missing the point....;)

As for Caldwell made his debut at Wigan today and they managed only their 3rd Clean sheet of the season.

Eirebear wrote: »
    After McManus went off today there wasnt a scotsman on the field for Celtic. With only Forrest and McGowan sitting on the bench from Scotland.

Thats something that didnt even (often) happen at Rangers during the Advocaat years youve got to be careful not to lose your identity. Although with 4 Irishmen in the team maybe im missing the point....;)

As for Caldwell made his debut at Wigan today and they managed only their 3rd Clean sheet of the season.

Levein was in the crowd, we wanted him to have an easy first public appearance! :pac:

Lawwell reminds me of a building contractor when he sees a polish worker and all the money he can save. The people Celtic trialled over the last month and this Hooiveld lad dont inpsire me and smack of looking for cheaper options more so than better players.

Not given up on the SPL title though, ye bassas! :pac:

Levein was in the crowd, we wanted him to have an easy first public appearance! :pac:

Lawwell reminds me of a building contractor when he sees a polish worker and all the money he can save. The people Celtic trialled over the last month and this Hooiveld lad dont inpsire me and smack of looking for cheaper options more so than better players.

Not given up on the SPL title though, ye bassas! :pac:

I wont comment on Lawell's spending just yet...simply because i dont want it to bite me on the ass if you actually do bring in some talent in the next fortnight!

The league however, is far from over. We were woeful today, and added to that we couldnt even fill the subs bench, only 6 of the 7 places were used!

9 points seem like a lot, but a win against Killie and the Old Firm game in February could change that pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    I wont comment on Lawell's spending just yet...simply because i dont want it to bite me on the ass if you actually do bring in some talent in the next fortnight!

The league however, is far from over. We were woeful today, and added to that we couldnt even fill the subs bench, only 6 of the 7 places were used!

9 points seem like a lot, but a win against Killie and the Old Firm game in February could change that pretty quickly.

Both squads are fragile alright and the league is certainly not over or anywhere near a point where a team is miles ahead because simply both clubs dont look like they could win 10 games in a row or anything like they could do in the past. Both clubs will drop alot of points yet.

Lawwell needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat, he has the resources but whether he'll take the risk of spending money for proven quality is the thing.

Anyone declare interest in Rangers? The club thinking of going PLC??

I reckon Boyd will get his contract though, Banks cant be that stupid.

Anyone declare interest in Rangers? The club thinking of going PLC??

I reckon Boyd will get his contract though, Banks cant be that stupid.

Theres been rumours all this week of a consortium of all the usual names having a bid turned down by Lloyds for something around 18m. Lloyds supposedly want 20.

Other than that not much really.

Boyd, Fleck and Wilson supposedly have contracts on the table, although Fleck and Wilson have seemingly knocked them back on the advice of their agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    [/B]

Thankfully there are some sensible Celtic fans on here Ziggy!! Getting rid of a lad that has started your last 12 games, with only an unproven Korean and a Charlton reject to replace him currently, was an astonishing decision. Makes no sense from a footballing and financial situation. Coillte_Bhoy was saying Robson was not good enough, by whose standards id ask? Real Madrid's? Barce's? He was one of the more consistent players in the current Celtic squad. One can understand the Caldwell situation, Celtic wanted to keep him but offered slightly less than Caldwell wanted. I can understand this, yet they go and pay 2m for a defender. Is he going to be better than Caldwell?? Time will tell, however, that 2m could have covered the few extra grand a week Caldwell was looking with change left over!! Caldwell is a super player and will prove it. He was being asked to play with donkeys in McManus and Loovens, and Im CERTAIN the inconsistent form shown by him was because of this and his contract situation. I have said this upteen times on here.

I agree with Dempsey, Lawwell has far too much power at Celtic. He calls the shots, including players bought and signed. Zheng Zhi was a commercial signing, no doubt about it in my mind.

Caldwell and Robson were two leaders in a poor Celtic team. There are no leaders in the Celtic team now? Who are they? The fact that O'Dea was made captain of Celtic when McManus went off yesterday says it all. Can anyone enlighten me what Darren O'Dea has done in his career to date to be captaining one of the biggest clubs in the world?

I think the Celtic supporters have to play a greater role in helping their team. The attendance for OLD FIRM game was a full house and this certainly provided team with a boost to go and produce one of their best performances of season. Then on Sat, the stadium was half empty? Is this going to inspire the team? Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation, punters arent paying because they feel product isnt good, yet this goes out window for OLD FIRM game. Mate says there was cash turnstiles at game on Sat, this is unheard of for Celtic league games in recent times. I believe Celtic team need their supporters more than ever just now, yet it seems Celtic fans are just not interested in turning up at Celtic Park outwith OLD FIRM game? What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I think the Celtic supporters have to play a greater role in helping their team. The attendance for OLD FIRM game was a full house and this certainly provided team with a boost to go and produce one of their best performances of season. Then on Sat, the stadium was half empty? Is this going to inspire the team? Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation, punters arent paying because they feel product isnt good, yet this goes out window for OLD FIRM game. Mate says there was cash turnstiles at game on Sat, this is unheard of for Celtic league games in recent times. I believe Celtic team need their supporters more than ever just now, yet it seems Celtic fans are just not interested in turning up at Celtic Park outwith OLD FIRM game? What do you guys think?

I think that this is a weak attempt at wind up.

Why capitalise OLD FIRM? Celtic fans (and the club itself) don't use that term any more - the club want to get as far away from being associated with the Gers as possible.

Why was he captain at Hibs and Celtic, why do Mowbray, Strachan and Martinez rate him as a leader? Are they wrong and you right?

I think that this is a weak attempt at wind up.

Why capitalise OLD FIRM? Celtic fans (and the club itself) don't use that term any more - the club want to get as far away from being associated with the Gers as possible.

Eh, because its the Old Firm game I was taking about? Are you saying that the Old Firm derby phrase is a thing of the past? Thats a nonsense, all media outlets and fans i know still refer to it as the Old Firm derby. As for capitalising it, no reason for doing this I guess. Please debate the point rather than some side issue that you have raised. For everywhere I have OLD FIRM, please subsititute Celtic Rangers game if you have such a problem with my use of the english language!! :( Its a serious point, I believe Celtic need to stay united and this means fans turning up and supporting their team? You either agree or disagree with this statement OhNoYouDidn't. You need to lighten up a bit OhNoYouDidn't!

The amount of times I have heard football fans saying. " I got a ticket for Old Firm game, I booked my flight for Old Firm game, I didn't see Old Firm game" etc etc.. In my experience, the phrase isnt outdated as you make it out to be.

Also, I am not a Celtic fan, so does that mean I can use phrase then?!

Eh, because its the Old Firm game I was taking about? Are you saying that the Old Firm derby phrase is a thing of the past? Thats a nonsense, all media outlets and fans i know still refer to it as the Old Firm derby. As for capitalising it, no reason for doing this I guess. Please debate the point rather than some side issue that you have raised. For everywhere I have OLD FIRM, please subsititute Celtic Rangers game if you have such a problem with my use of the english language!! :( Its a serious point, I believe Celtic need to stay united and this means fans turning up and supporting their team? You either agree or disagree with this statement OhNoYouDidn't. You need to lighten up a bit OhNoYouDidn't!

The amount of times I have heard football fans saying. " I got a ticket for Old Firm game, I booked my flight for Old Firm game, I didn't see Old Firm game" etc etc.. In my experience, the phrase isnt outdated as you make it out to be.

Also, I am not a Celtic fan, so does that mean I can use phrase then?!

Celtic football club never mention the OF words. They call the game 'against Rangers' or 'the Glasgow derby'.

Celtic fans refer to it as 'the huns game'.

As you say, you are a Rangers fan, so you having a go at the Celtic support is cleary a windup and no-one will bite. Worry more about the problems in Ibrox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Celtic football club never mention the OF words. They call the game 'against Rangers' or 'the Glasgow derby'.

As you say, you are a Rangers fan, so you having a go at the Celtic support is cleary a windup and no-one will bite. Worry more about the problems in Ibrox.

Bollox I know plenty of tic fans who call it the OF game though I will agree with you I don't want to be lumped in with you lot either. The thing is it will never disappear as it is how the media will always refer to it.

The thing is it will never disappear as it is how the media will always refer to it.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But the point is if they do, it will be against the wishes of Celtic FC and they will be changing the content of press releases etc.

Long and short of it, Brewsters concern is touching, but Celtic's home gates still average more than 50,000, which is of course considerably more than their Glasgow derby rivals.

I said nothing of the sort, I am not a Celtic fan, that doesn't automatically make me a Rangers supporter FFS!:mad: Give my head peace! Talk about narrow mindeness in the extreme ONYD..... Celtic attendances are low this season, my question is are supporters entitled to take this stay away approach because product is poor or should they row in behind their team more than ever? Personally I believe the paying punters are entltled to stay away, but I also know that a less than full stadium won't inspire team. Surely you agree with this point FFS. Its a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss on this, a Celtic forum. Why are you gone on the offensive ONYD all of a sudden?! Talk about missing the point! Contribute to the point id made if you wish, but please don't deflect away from the topic about some story about the Old Firm phrase being non-existent blah de blah! I call it the Old Firm derby and thats good enough for me.. If Celtic fans don't call it this, then fine, but its hardly relevant to the point I was making.

I see the rumours are going strong that Tennents are going to be the new shirt sponsors of Rangers and Celtic after the Carling deal runs out in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Obviously Celtic don't have the finances either Instant Karma? Why sell Gary Caldwell, player of the year last year, and then have some teenager playing today?? Just let him run down his contract and get another 6 months out of him. Rangers are that skint that they can't even offer new contracts without banks permission and yet they are nine clear of Celtic, albeit having playing one more. Its not good enough by Celtic

Rumour has it that Caldwell was on 8k a week at Celtic, his performances were dire, he was offered a new contract which he refused. Wigan are paying him in the region of 20k, more fool them.

Celtic's finances are in perfect order, less than 1m in debt and operating at a profit.

I see the rumours are going strong that Tennents are going to be the new shirt sponsors of Rangers and Celtic after the Carling deal runs out in the summer

Well thank goodness you didnt say Tennants are going to be the new Old Firm sponsors! Could you imagine the uproar if you did?!

Rumour has it that Caldwell was on 8k a week at Celtic, his performances were dire, he was offered a new contract which he refused. Wigan are paying him in the region of 20k, more fool them.

Celtic's finances are in perfect order, less than 1m in debt and operating at a profit.

I think you need to give more attention to Celtic's performances on the field rather than the financial situation! I think this is part of the problem, too many people associated with Celtic are preocuppied with this and losing touch with whats important to the punters i.e failing attendances should set alarm bells ringing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I think you need to give more attention to Celtic's performances on the field rather than the financial situation! I think this is part of the problem, too many people associated with Celtic are preocuppied with this and losing touch with whats important to the punters i.e failing attendances should set alarm bells ringing!

Who rattled your cage today???!!!:D

I was merely responding to a previous post of yours, you don't mind a bit of debate do you?

I agree with you about Barry Robson, no idea why we let him go at this stage of the season, his "dig" in midfield is much needed at the moment.

You brought our finances into it with regard to saying we can't afford to buy players and, as you state above, falling attendances means less money.

Attendances in the SPL for matches involving Celtic and Rangers are huge. They are vastly higher than they should be. Take Celtic v Falkirk for example - bar my emotional attachment to Celtic what entertainment value is there for me in such a game?

As a mere footballing spectacle, there is NO product. Take McGeady out of that Celtic team and you take away a huge reason for watching Celtic play. The alarm bells should be ringing, Scottish football is dire to watch... as are most other leagues (bar the big matches) by the way.

Who rattled your cage today???!!!:D

I was merely responding to a previous post of yours, you don't mind a bit of debate do you?

I agree with you about Barry Robson, no idea why we let him go at this stage of the season, his "dig" in midfield is much needed at the moment.

You brought our finances into it with regard to saying we can't afford to buy players and, as you state above, falling attendances means less money.

Attendances in the SPL for matches involving Celtic and Rangers are huge. They are vastly higher than they should be. Take Celtic v Falkirk for example - bar my emotional attachment to Celtic what entertainment value is there for me in such a game?

As a mere footballing spectacle, there is NO product. Take McGeady out of that Celtic team and you take away a huge reason for watching Celtic play. The alarm bells should be ringing, Scottish football is dire to watch... as are most other leagues (bar the big matches) by the way.

My cage rattler is well exposed today Bobby! Of course I don't mind debate, I thrive on it as you can probably appreciate! I appreciate your response to my post of the other day. Seems Coillte_Bhoy is the only one that wanted Robson away! Coillte_Bhoy, do you still maintain that he is no great loss to Celtic in their current predictament?!

• Advertisement

I have my own opinion, theirs reinforce what I think and since they are being paid to make the correct judgment I dont think all three of them have gotten it wrong from up close everyday and you spot on from watching him 90 minutes per week.

Strachan signed Killen as cheap backup for Hesselink and he's signed him as cheap backup again. He's obviously considered to be worth the money, twice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I actually really really wish Celtic had a different sponsor to Rangers. Having the same sponsor just subconsciously reinforces the "two sides of the same coin" view with people who don't know otherwise. Tennents... what next? Dutch Gold? Suppose beggars can't be choosers.

As for Robson, no great loss imo. Was great two seasons ago when we won the last 7 or whatever games on the bounce to pinch the league, but aside from a couple of noteable performances v Rangers, has he been that good? IMO not enough to warrant keeping.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I actually really really wish Celtic had a different sponsor to Rangers. Having the same sponsor just subconsciously reinforces the "two sides of the same coin" view with people who don't know otherwise. Tennents... what next? Dutch Gold? Suppose beggars can't be choosers.

As for Robson, no great loss imo. Was great two seasons ago when we won the last 7 or whatever games on the bounce to pinch the league, but aside from a couple of noteable performances v Rangers, has he been that good? IMO not enough to warrant keeping.

So do I Paul I don't want Rangers linked with Celtic any more than you do

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

So do I Paul I don't want Rangers linked with Celtic any more than you do

Proper order. We agree on something. :D

• Advertisement

Lads, its important from a sponsors point of view that they would sponsor both Old Firm Teams, sorry OhNoYouDidn't, Rangers and Celtic rather, as it would totally alleniate other half of city.. i.e. if Carling sponsor Rangers and not Celtic, then Celtic fans will quickly go off their Carling!!

You seem to disagree with 3 managers appraisals of a player. How are they wrong and you right?? Do you know Caldwell, do you know what other players think of him in terms of being a captain? Enlighten us all.

No, I gave you what I thought Strachans thinking was when he signed Killen twice. :p

Lads, its important from a sponsors point of view that they would sponsor both Old Firm Teams, sorry OhNoYouDidn't, Rangers and Celtic rather, as it would totally alleniate other half of city.. i.e. if Carling sponsor Rangers and not Celtic, then Celtic fans will quickly go off their Carling!!

Nonsense. By that logic, Liverpool and Everton would have to have the same sponsors, Utd and City would have to have the same sponsors etc..

Anyone who drinks Carling should be alienated anyway. ;)

Nonsense. By that logic, Liverpool and Everton would have to have the same sponsors, Utd and City would have to have the same sponsors etc..

Anyone who drinks Carling should be alienated anyway. ;)

I would agree with that to be fair Brewster mate if Celtic were sponsored by something I really liked then I can't see me stopping using it no doubt there would be a few on each side who would but nit the majority

• Advertisement

Jesus ****ing christ, i forgot just how much of a plum you actually can be on this forum. All the things you could pick Brewster up on, and you get off on the fact he used the term OLD FIRM?

Wow.

You're talking absolute nonsense

You claim he's not a leader, I refer to 2 managers thats worked along side him and he's new manager bought him because his homework told him that he was a leader. The evidence clearly points to you being wrong and badly wrong at that. Accept it.

Err, TV evidence suggests that he handballed it twice and Henry admitted that he handballed :P

If Ronaldo sells his worth in shirt sales and brings in silverware for Madrid, it wont be a waste of money, will it?? :P

Liverpool cant afford to sack Benitez and his staff so they must persevere with him. :p

I would agree with that to be fair Brewster mate if Celtic were sponsored by something I really liked then I can't see me stopping using it no doubt there would be a few on each side who would but nit the majority

I hear you love the old Eggs Benedict BBE... ;)

Hes munching a Pepperami and drinking coke through a green straw as we speak! :p

You lads will have to explain this one to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You lads will to explain this one to me!

Apparently Eggs Benedict was removed from the Menu at Ibrox Corporate Hospitality shortly after the most recent pope was appointed, as it would have been considered offensive by some of the Patrons.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Apparently Eggs Benedict was removed from the Menu at Ibrox Corporate Hospitality shortly after the most recent pope was appointed, as it would have been considered offensive by some of the Patrons.

Ha Ha! Its not April the 1st yet!! Few weeks to go yet!

100% true. As was the removal of green straws and the attack on people handing out green Pepperami samples at Ibrox.

Nah those where the reports around the time of the Pope being put in place.

Of course, the reports came from the same areas who spoke of banned pepperamis and green straws, so take what you will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement