Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

100% true. As was the removal of green straws and the attack on people handing out green Pepperami samples at Ibrox.

100% eh?

And its became ATTACKS on people handing out Pepperamis? My god what a terrible world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whats the name of that town Scotland that doesnt allow anything green?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Whats the name of that town Scotland that doesnt allow anything green?

Im guessing you mean Larkhall? Horrid little place.

Eirebear wrote: »

Yea, what do they put in the water there! :pac:

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yea, what do they put in the water there! :pac:

Christ knows mate, its lunacy out that way.

I know a lad from there that laughs about it because even though everyone there is supposed to be "the same", it doesnt stop them having running battles with eachother at the weekend! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think that this is a weak attempt at wind up.

Why capitalise OLD FIRM? Celtic fans (and the club itself) don't use that term any more - the club want to get as far away from being associated with the Gers as possible.[/QUOTE]

I wish that were the case but the opposite is true, hence the joint sponsorhip deals. Rumour is that Tennents Lager are the new ones. The fans don't want any association but unfortunately the plc are a different breed. As long as they stay marginally ahead then they are happy.

'No Guilt by Association - Smash the Old Firm'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think that this is a weak attempt at wind up.

Why capitalise OLD FIRM? Celtic fans (and the club itself) don't use that term any more - the club want to get as far away from being associated with the Gers as possible.[/QUOTE]

I wish that were the case but the opposite is true, hence the joint sponsorhip deals. Rumour is that Tennents Lager are the new ones. The fans don't want any association but unfortunately the plc are a different breed. As long as they stay marginally ahead then they are happy.

Rangers and Celtic need each other. To say otherwise is madness. It will always be the Old Firm in many people's eyes, especially the neutrals with the way the league is structured in Scotland and the Old Firm being the dominant force. If Rangers went out of business, Celtic would die a slow death in the SPL and vice versa. Fans would just lose interest with the lack of competition and rivarly. However, neither club will die a slow death and it will continue to be the Old Firm as far as majority are concerned.

BobbySands, how do you see title race shaping up at this stage of season? I know you were very confident earlier in the season that Celtic would walk league because of Rangers financial plight. Do you still think Celtic will do it in end?

Brewster wrote: »

Rangers and Celtic need each other. To say otherwise is madness. It will always be the Old Firm in many people's eyes, especially the neutrals with the way the league is structured in Scotland and the Old Firm being the dominant force. If Rangers went out of business, Celtic would die a slow death in the SPL and vice versa. Fans would just lose interest with the lack of competition and rivarly. However, neither club will die a slow death and it will continue to be the Old Firm as far as majority are concerned.

While i accept your point, it is the 'Old Firm' tag that annoys many Celtic supporters. Indeed i'm sure that many of their fans dont want to be associated with us either. There is no need for joint sponsorship deals etc. Celtic is in far better financial shape and should be able to secure our own deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I see SSN are saying we may be taking Senderos from Arsenal on loan for the rest of the season, now that is a proper signing if it materialises definitely one we need, lets just hope its not lazy journalism ie Arsene Wenger wants rid, Philipe wants out and Celtic havent a CB between them in the club.

Heres hoping Morton can pull off a wee draw today and make you lot play them again tomorrow!

Ah well, wasnt to be. McGinn scores in a 1-0 win for Celtic.

Rangers into injury time with Hamilton...weve had a bit of a "mowbary" tonnight with about 15 or 16 shots on target...but its still 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hamilton Keeper is playing a blinder.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Hamilton Keeper is playing a blinder.

Hes a good keeper, any time ive seen him over the last couple of seasons hes given a good account of himself.

Knew it would only take one and more would follow, shame we had to wait till ET for it.

Belter by Whittaker for the second too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I got a letter from Celtic Business Calss Corporate Hospitality this morning offering me complimentary tickets for the Celtic vs Hibs game. Has anybody else received anything like this previously? I sent them an e-mail to see what the story is and I am waiting to hear back.

I only go to the odd game so it seems a but strange. In fact I would say that I have probably been to more Aberdeen games than Celtic games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Celtic have signed Norwegian u-21 defender Thomas Rogne on a 3 1/2 year deal, anyone know anything about this guy???

I got a letter from Celtic Business Calss Corporate Hospitality this morning offering me complimentary tickets for the Celtic vs Hibs game. Has anybody else received anything like this previously? I sent them an e-mail to see what the story is and I am waiting to hear back.

I only go to the odd game so it seems a but strange. In fact I would say that I have probably been to more Aberdeen games than Celtic games.

Things are getting desperate if Celtic are trying to get bods in the door that bad!!

Celtic have signed Norwegian u-21 defender Thomas Rogne on a 3 1/2 year deal, anyone know anything about this guy???

Sorry no, I did hear Scott Brown could be on way out of Celtic Park? Whats the lowdown on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Sorry no, I did hear Scott Brown could be on way out of Celtic Park? Whats the lowdown on this?

From the Record..
    Exclusive: Scott Brown set for shock Celtic exit after being told he has no future at club
    Jan 20 2010 Keith Jackson

Tony Mowbray has stunned star man Scott Brown by telling him he has no future at Celtic.
    Record Sport understands the Scotland midfielder was given the bombshell news during a showdown meeting with Mowbray before Christmas - and that the manager made it clear he hoped to sell him during the January transfer window.
    Brown is believed to be devastated by Mowbray's decision to ditch him - and by the fact his one-time mentor at Hibs, a man he had huge respect for, chose to jettison him during his long slog back to fitness after botched ankle surgery last summer.
    Brown, signed from Easter Road by previous Celtic boss Gordon Strachan for £4.5million, had been a key player fo rMowbray in the manager's first few months even though he was playing in serious discomfort.
    He eventually broke down in October and was flown to Amsterdam to go under the knife a second time in a desperate bid to beat the injury and help his boss secure the SPL title during his first season in charge.
    He is now back at the club's Lennoxtown HQ working his way towards full fitness but heartbroken Brown, who is just days away from rejoining full training, knows Mowbray would rather sell him immediately than play him when he is ready to return to action.
    Brown has been a long-term signing target for Spurs manager Harry Redknapp and was also attracting serious interest from Birmingham gaffer Alex McLeish before his most recent op.
    But although he could land a bumper wage deal in the Premiership, Brown has said consistently he is content at Celtic and has no desire to leave Glasgow's East End.
    Last night, when contacted by Record Sport, the player said: "Yes, there was a conversation between myself and the manager but I am not prepared to go into details.
    "I believe these things should remain private. Maybe you should ask him what was said. I have nothing more to add."
    But privately Brown has been rocked by his manager's stance and his team-mates are also understood to have been appalled by the manner in which Mowbray has treated one of the most popular and highly-rated players at the Parkhead club.
    And this shock move has triggered a chain of events that has led to further serious unrest among Mowbray's first-team squad.
    Agroup of senior players spoke up against the manager earlier in the season after he repeatedly attacked them in public following a string of poor results and admitted he would like to bring in as many as 10 new players in the transfer window.
    Mowbray agreed to curb his criticism of his team but has shown a ruthless streak by selling four players - Gary Caldwell, Barry Robson, Willo Flood and Chris Killen - in the first two weeks of the January sales.
    Without them Mowbray's team stumbled to a 1-1 draw at home to bottom club Falkirk on Saturday, a result that leaves Celtic trailing SPL leaders Rangers by nine points.
    Now Brown fears he could be the next one out, against his will.
    And top scorer Scott McDonald is another key man fretting on his immediate future after apparently failing to impress Mowbray enough to nail down a place in the manager's shot-shy attack.

If this is true then i reckon Mowbray has lost the plot. I said in this thread earlier in the year i thought his treatment of Brown was shocking, he persisted in playing him despite the fact he was obviously struggling with injury.
    In turn he weakened the Celtic midfield at the time, and aggravated Brown's injury into the bargain.

Now he seemingly wants rid? Somethings not right there if you ask me.

Same goes for his dislike of McDonald, i understand he has fitness issues in terms of his weight and mobility, but Celtic are crying out for a goalscorer right now yet McDonald can hardly get a game...strange stuff indeed.

ziggy wrote: »

Do you think?! They could be taking the Ryanair approach of simply trying to get bods in the door!! Then fleece them for their prawn and cucumber sandwiches and their glass of chardonnay! :p

Brewster, i suggest that in future you ignoere most of what the record report about Celtic.

Celtic have released the following statement re Brown:
    Newsroom Staff
    CELTIC Football club have today rejected an erroneous newspaper story regarding Scott Brown, which claimed manager Tony Mowbray informed the midfielder that he had no future at the club.

The story, which appeared on Wednesday morning, has been dismissed by both Tony Mowbray and Scott Brown as being totally without foundation.

The club is currently taking legal advice over the issue.

Scott remains a central figure in the manager's long-term plans for Celtic and Tony can categorically state that he has never told the player that he wants him to leave the club.

The Celtic manager said: "The story is absolute nonsense. I never told Scott Brown that I want him to leave the club. Scott is a huge player for Celtic and absolutely part of the future plans of this club.

“I have worked with Scott for a number of years and have a great relationship with him. It’s disappointing that people are able to write things which are so inaccurate.

“But I know our supporters will understand that unfortunately this is one of the things we need to deal with. I am sure they will also know that we are all working together at Celtic to do all we can to achieve success for the club,”

Scott Brown said: "Obviously I am very disappointed with this article as there is no foundation to it. I have worked with the manager for some time and have a very good relationship with him.

“It’s disappointing to have been out for so long with an injury but I’m looking forward to getting back to full fitness as soon as possible and getting back in to the team for the second half of the season.”

As a club, we can only speculate about the motivation of such an erroneous article but we can assure the Celtic supporters that we will not allow this type of reporting to unsettle the club or the player.

At this stage of the season, it’s more important than ever that everyone at Celtic Football Club and the supporters pull together. We will not let this be disrupted by any outside interference.

Brewster, i suggest that in future you ignoere most of what the record report about Celtic.

Celtic have released the following statement re Brown:

Goodstuff, however I read about in on sportinglife.com, presumably they took story from there.

Celtic need a fit Brown back ASAP

Things are getting desperate if Celtic are trying to get bods in the door that bad!!

Maybe it is because they think that Dr Cruiserweight has some money ;)

Anyway mailed the guy and turns out that it is two free corporate passes for the game, with a discount on any additional ones that I want. So four of us were planning on going anyway, same price for 4 corporate as it was going to be for 4 restricted view stand tickets

I was there last week and survived, well not there for to long

I was there last week and survived, well not there for to long

Ach its like anywhere else dude, has its good and bad. As i said i know a fella from out that way fairly well.

ziggy wrote: »

haha! My Uncle lives in Croy...hes a bit of a looney right enough. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

[

I completely agree. If Celtic do sign this sponsorship deal it makes a mockery of all the noise from Lawall and Reid at fans forums about getting as far away from them as possible.

• Advertisement

Ach its like anywhere else dude, has its good and bad. As i said i know a fella from out that way fairly well.

Yeah I know, was only there to meet my wedding photographer. Used to live near Maryhill, walk 5 minutes one way and it is a dump 5 minutes another way and loads of expensives houses.

Anyway got 6 tickets in the end, will cost a little more than the normal ones, but not to much more with the 2 free. Will give it a go and see. Turns out the guy who sorts them out knows a few guys that I work with so was having a bit of a chat with him, small world :)

Yeah I know, was only there to meet my wedding photographer. Used to live near Maryhill, walk 5 minutes one way and it is a dump 5 minutes another way and loads of expensives houses.

Anyway got 6 tickets in the end, will cost a little more than the normal ones, but not to much more with the 2 free. Will give it a go and see. Turns out the guy who sorts them out knows a few guys that I work with so was having a bit of a chat with him, small world :)

i'm just by Maryhill myself, i know what you mean. If i turn left and cross Maryhill rd i walk a lot quicker than i would if had turned right and headed for Great Western Rd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Getting very parochial in here lads, I'm up in Cambuslang. I was involved in the opening of the new railway line to Larkhall and it is an interesting place to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Well I am in Burtonport County Donegal seeing as we are all telling been in Croy a few times with EB's uncle strange place :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I see Celtic are taking legal advice over the Daily Records story over Scott Brown leaving Celtic and Mowbray wanting him out, Keith Jackson is a little gob****e and always reports crap.

Badabing wrote: »
    I see Celtic are taking legal advice over the Daily Records story over Scott Brown leaving Celtic and Mowbray wanting him out, Keith Jackson is a little gob****e and always reports crap.

Would love to see the club take on this rag.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Badabing wrote: »

It's getting messy now:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/01/21/celtic-star-scott-brown-still-believes-he-s-set-for-exit-despite-celtic-denial-86908-21983769/

Like I always think during transfer windows, roll on the 1st of Feb so we can see who we have/have not and put an end to this bull****.

Anyone know much about these new defenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

BobbySands, how do you see title race shaping up at this stage of season? I know you were very confident earlier in the season that Celtic would walk league because of Rangers financial plight. Do you still think Celtic will do it in end?

Yup, I was ultra confident at the start of the year but not so any more.

I still believe "man for man" we are quite a way better than Rangers, but there's also no doubting that they are a better team and gel together far better than we do.

There's no doubting a thing called "synergy" which states that the sum of all the parts are greater than the sum of all the individual parts and that's something that Walter Smith gives them. I don't really understand the stick he gets from some of their fans (although at times he does make very very strange calls) but I think if they lose him they will go backwards as he is an expert at getting the most out of what he has... and any new fella that comes in won't have any money but will have to make do with the current resources which to my eyes are very very limited.

The momentum is with them, they have the points in the bag, it will take a rich vein of form for Celtic to win this league. Unfortunately we don't look like hitting that vein of form at the moment whereas they're plodding out results.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's getting messy now:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/01/21/celtic-star-scott-brown-still-believes-he-s-set-for-exit-despite-celtic-denial-86908-21983769/

Like I always think during transfer windows, roll on the 1st of Feb so we can see who we have/have not and put an end to this bull****.

Anyone know much about these new defenders?

This is very strange. Newspapers print rubbish all the time, and usually the next day the newspapers acts if it never wrote the story and everyone moves on. However, in this case, paper writes story, club deny it issuing a statement and threaten legal action which usually doesn't happen. Then today, paper re prints story basically again confirming what it said yesterday??? Anyone else find this a tad bizarre??

This is very strange. Newspapers print rubbish all the time, and usually the next day the newspapers acts if it never wrote the story and everyone moves on. However, in this case, paper writes story, club deny it issuing a statement and threaten legal action which usually doesn't happen. Then today, paper re prints story basically again confirming what it said yesterday??? Anyone else find this a tad bizarre??

Read it again Brewster...

In my job I have to use this kind of language all the time to try and make it sound like you're doing something you're not! If you read the two statements it's obvious that Celtic are the ones trying to use semantics to their advantage and the Record are being very direct and unambiguous in what they're saying.

"The story, which appeared on Wednesday morning, has been dismissed by both Tony Mowbray and Scott Brown as being totally without foundation."

For instance Celtic never said the story wasn't true, they just said it was "without foundation" meaning that the Record had no proof that would prefer to sell Brown.

There's a difference between wanting a player to leave and listening to any good offers that might come in for him.

The Celtic manager said: "The story is absolute nonsense. I never told Scott Brown that I want him to leave the club. Scott is a huge player for Celtic and absolutely part of the future plans of this club.

It's all semantics on Celtic's part and unbelievably I actually believe the Record in this instance cos if it wasn't true scott Brown would already be suing them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ah we're back online thank God!! It's like I haven't eaten for a day and a half without Boards. :)

I see Celtic have had an offer accepted for a young striker:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8476229.stm

Don't know the lad but this can only be good news. Another striker in the mix, a bit of competition, just what is needed. He stats for the past 3 years playing for Brøndby look decent as well (big assumption of course that Wikipedia info is correct):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morten_Rasmussen_(football_striker)

Fingers crossed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

What about that for a strike!!! Bout fookin time at that mind you.....still wish Samaras would just go away, far far away.....

EDIT: And as i say that, he scores!!

Might have been St. Johnstone, but a hugely important win today imo. When I saw 1-0 at half time, I thought Mowbray might have been a goner. Think that win might have saved his bacon. Gap reduced by 2 point - good weekend's work.

• Advertisement

Paddy McCourt is Jesus!!

Here's the goals from today... might take a minute or two to load.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/4555653/

Fortune's 1st and McCourt's were special

They need to produce that 45 minutes from kick off in every match not just when they stare an embarrassing defeat in the face.

Fantastic goals. didn't see game, but saw highlights and McCourt looked unplayable. You guys rave about McGeady, but McGeady would never have scored McCourt's goal. This is a fact lads. Thats as good a goal your likely to see, pace, close control, and then a bullet of a shot into top corner. Finishing is always the most difficult bit after going on a mazy run, and McCourt excels at it quite frankly. How the hell is he not in team more often?

Fantastic goals. didn't see game, but saw highlights and McCourt looked unplayable. You guys rave about McGeady, but McGeady would never have scored McCourt's goal. This is a fact lads. Thats as good a goal your likely to see, pace, close control, and then a bullet of a shot into top corner. Finishing is always the most difficult bit after going on a mazy run, and McCourt excels at it quite frankly. How the hell is he not in team more often?

He has difficulties staying fit, he has difficulties with discipline (not with losing the head but with the defensive part of the game). He struggles with form as well but like yesterday when he's on form he's unstoppable - an absolute pleasure to watch. His finishing is top class too - he was my man of the match yesterday, hopefully he'll get a run in the team now.

Take a look at his goal against St Mirren earlier this season - he beat 6 players and scored - I'll post it later this evening when I get home.

Paddy McCourt = Jesus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement