Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

He has difficulties staying fit, he has difficulties with discipline (not with losing the head but with the defensive part of the game). He struggles with form as well but like yesterday when he's on form he's unstoppable - an absolute pleasure to watch. His finishing is top class too - he was my man of the match yesterday, hopefully he'll get a run in the team now.

Take a look at his goal against St Mirren earlier this season - he beat 6 players and scored - I'll post it later this evening when I get home.

Paddy McCourt = Jesus.

Give the guy a free role. Tell him he doesnt need to track back. Lets some of the other guys do his running for him. Surely the guy is motivated enough by the ability he has to look after himself and work hard on his fitness??? Surely they can get the guy fit. We all know is SPL isn't worlds strongest league, but I have yet to see a player in Scotland who has such ability to run with ball with such close control and produce an end product. McGeady does the former very well, but can't do the later. Celtic have been struggling in recent weeks and they have this finisher in the team. If if he is only fit enough for 60 mins, play him for 60 and take him off, good chance he will create or score a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    Give the guy a free role. Tell him he doesnt need to track back. Lets some of the other guys do his running for him. Surely the guy is motivated enough by the ability he has to look after himself and work hard on his fitness??? Surely they can get the guy fit. We all know is SPL isn't worlds strongest league, but I have yet to see a player in Scotland who has such ability to run with ball with such close control and produce an end product. McGeady does the former very well, but can't do the later. Celtic have been struggling in recent weeks and they have this finisher in the team. If if he is only fit enough for 60 mins, play him for 60 and take him off, good chance he will create or score a goal.

Fully agree with you.

Even if you play him on one wing and McGeady on the other then both will be doubled up on creating loads more space with a quick crossfield ball or a ball into the middle for midfielders to run onto.

I think Paddy has difficulties with lung capacity, I think he has a proper medical problem that makes it more difficult for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

McCourt is an absolute pleasure to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Dempsey wrote: »

He's better than Lee Naylor!

Very odd transfer dealings at Celtic Park lads!! That doesn't make sense at all. Fox has done ok I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He's better than Lee Naylor!

By the thickness of a sheet of paper and probably costing alot more than Naylor

Dempsey wrote: »
    By the thickness of a sheet of paper and probably costing alot more than Naylor

Think you have it spot on again Dempsey... Im not sure he is Celtic class, let alone good enough for premiership. He can put in the odd great cross and is decent getting forward, not sure he is the best defensively from the few games i saw of him anyway.

McManus to Boro, don't think hes a great loss to be honest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Very odd transfer dealings at Celtic Park lads!! That doesn't make sense at all. Fox has done ok I thought?

He seemed to start brightly enough, but in hindsight, I think maybe we were all just comparing him to Naylor who'd held that position for so long, and had had a dreadful last season.

Mind you, whether Celtic can sign someone better is the big question. Seems that Mowbray is really putting his own stamp on the team - whether it'll pay off is the question.

McManus had to go I think. Too many mistakes, and never developed as a captain imo. It's a lot of outs this window though isn't it?

PauloMN wrote: »
    He seemed to start brightly enough, but in hindsight, I think maybe we were all just comparing him to Naylor who'd held that position for so long, and had had a dreadful last season.

Mind you, whether Celtic can sign someone better is the big question. Seems that Mowbray is really putting his own stamp on the team - whether it'll pay off is the question.

McManus had to go I think. Too many mistakes, and never developed as a captain imo. It's a lot of outs this window though isn't it?

Kevin Kilbane being strongly linked apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Kevin Kilbane being strongly linked apparently....

FFS, don't even joke about that.... :(

Rasmussen deal official:
    http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_260110115023.aspx

Here's hoping this works out. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rasmussen deal official:
    http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_260110115023.aspx

Here's hoping this works out. Best of luck to him.

Me too, we need more options up front so he's a good addition. Celtic really need Champions League football next season to keep well ahead of Rangers finacially and on the pitch, does anyone know if top 2 have qualifiers to get tru or just the champions?

Badabing wrote: »
    Me too, we need more options up front so he's a good addition. Celtic really need Champions League football next season to keep well ahead of Rangers finacially and on the pitch, does anyone know if top 2 have qualifiers to get tru or just the champions?

Only the Scottish champions get through, provided CL winner this year have qualified for comp next year as a result of their league position i.e Chelsea for example or Barce etc..

Runner up goes into CL qualifers, will be very difficult for them to make CL group stages, pretty much impossible Id say for either Rangers or Celtic. Scottish football's coefficient is in freefall, as I have said here many many times.

So winning the SPL this year is pretty much going to guarantee CL football next year, which is crucial.

..., as I have said here many many times.

Ye have not, have ye? :D

This site does a very good job explaining the CL qualification system:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2010.html

I think I read that Belgium have overtaken Scotland's coefficient, so for next season (2011/12) Scotland will have no guaranteed CL slot - there'll be CL qualifiers for the champions and 2nd place. The seedings take a few years to come into affect, so last years and this years brutal European results will drop the Scotland ranking down next season and after.

Last 16 twice running.... ah, it seems like a distant memory at this stage! :(

And Brewster, nobody ever disagreed with your postings about coefficients and what not. It's just the idea of supporting Rangers in Europe that none of us could fathom. :p

It's just the idea of supporting Rangers in Europe that none of us could fathom. :p

Which was a false analogy as well.

I understood where he was coming from but he was still wrong as the tens of millions of $$$ that Rangers would make from Europe would have hurt us far more than a few coefficient points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Ye have not, have ye? :D
    :D

Actually, based on this current list for 2010, it looks like both Denmark and Switzerland that have overtaken Scotland in the rankings, not Belgium, although they are very close also:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

A Celtic XI, which will hopefully include some new signings and players returning from injury, according to Neil Lennon, will play a friendly against Drogheda United next Wednesday in United Park at 7.45pm. Tickets are €15 adult, €10 concession and €5 child, and are available from the clubhouse, the Vandanel sports shop in Drogheda and Noel Heeney sports shop in Balbriggan.

Just saw the other thread devoted to this, apologies.

Which was a false analogy as well.

I understood where he was coming from but he was still wrong as the tens of millions of $$$ that Rangers would make from Europe would have hurt us far more than a few coefficient points.

Bobby, I explained this before, the majority of Rangers income from CL this season was earned by them regardless of their results. The only way they would have benefited further financially was had they qaulified for next phrase and won a few more matches.

I dont think you could be more wrong about what you say about the co-efficient points and hurting Celtic. The reality is a low co-efficient is going to hurt Celtic Football Club massively, way more than the few million extra bob to a finanically striken Rangers outfit. Think about it logically lads? Scottish football and Champions league football is dead. I hate to say it because I love the big Champions league nights at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Celtic will not be in CL group stages for a long time unless they win league this year. I dont think this fact is appreciated by many Celtic fans, and Im sure Rangers fans also.

I am 100% convinced I am correct on this and I will be proved correct in time. Mark my words.

Bobby, I explained this before, the majority of Rangers income from CL this season was earned by them regardless of their results. The only way they would have benefited further financially was had they qaulified for next phrase and won a few more matches.

I dont think you could be more wrong about what you say about the co-efficient points and hurting Celtic. The reality is a low co-efficient is going to hurt Celtic Football Club massively, way more than the few million extra bob to a finanically striken Rangers outfit. Think about it logically lads? Scottish football and Champions league football is dead. I hate to say it because I love the big Champions league nights at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Celtic will not be in CL group stages for a long time unless they win league this year. I dont think this fact is appreciated by many Celtic fans, and Im sure Rangers fans also.

I am 100% convinced I am correct on this and I will be proved correct in time. Mark my words.

I understand your points... but I completely disagree with them.

I will never want Rangers to do well unless, for some odd reason, them doing well benefits Celtic more than them.

Now you think logically Brewster... if other clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers had helped the coefficient IN ANY WAY at all then Soctland's tally would be a lot higher. Surely that hurts Celtic far more than Rangers inability to do well?

I understand your points... but I completely disagree with them.

I will never want Rangers to do well unless, for some odd reason, them doing well benefits Celtic more than them.

Now you think logically Brewster... if other clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers had helped the coefficient IN ANY WAY at all then Soctland's tally would be a lot higher. Surely that hurts Celtic far more than Rangers inability to do well?

Bobby, the co-efficient is dependent on ALL clubs performances in Europe. This is the unfortunate reality, and other Scottish teams coupled with Rangers and Celtic poor performances has lead the coefficient being at an all time low. When the points earned by Rangers for getting to Uefa cup final are wipped off Scottish slate, the situation will be even worse! Belgium, Switzerland and a number of other countries are going to pass Scotland out. Ultimately, this will leave Scottish champions having to go through a qualifying campaign to reach group stages. However, the 2nd place for Scottish runners up will be confined to history. At the moment, the champions of Scotland would be seeded, but this is not guaranteed into the future. The point im making, had Rangers earned an additional 5m this year from a successful CL campaign, and earned 12-15 coeff points for Scotland as a result, may have resulted in a possible CL place for Scottish runners up two seasons later or made for an easier qualifying draw for Champions and potentially earned Celtic 15m plus in the process! However, I accept your point Celtic and Rangers fans will not support each other by and large despite these obvious benefits down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone know what is the nominal fee mooted if Kilbane goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Well would you not want them to do well if any of the Irish team prospects joined them and were playing reguarly? which might actually improve our international prospects..
    But each to their own IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

focus_mad wrote: »
    Well would you not want them to do well if any of the Irish team prospects joined them and were playing reguarly? which might actually improve our international prospects..

Are you actually really suggesting that Rangers would contemplate signing an Irish international, and that even if they did that said player would seriously consider the move??

Oh and btw with Rangers financial situation they will be doing well to sign a Faroe Islands/San Marino international!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Are you actually really suggesting that Rangers would contemplate signing an Irish international, and that even if they did that said player would seriously consider the move??

Well they did take Joseph Lapira on trial after his first (and as yet only) cap with Ireland a couple of years ago. I guess thats as close as they have come so far.

Oh and btw with Rangers financial situation they will be doing well to sign a Faroe Islands/San Marino international!!

Premierstone, Rangers would happily sign an Irish International or Irish player and the majority of Rangers fans would not have an issue with this if it improved their team I suspect. I have discussed this with a mate of mine who is a Rangers fan, who in turn has discussed it with fans, and he said bring it on. Im sure Eirebear and Broxi would only confirm this. It will happen, and in the not too distant future also. Alan Kernaghan works in their youth department someone said, remind me what country he played for??! I remember they tried to take an Irish youth player for a trial from Co. Louth, and his family got dogs abuse over this. Alan Maybury former Irish International also had a trial at Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Ziggy, if thats all you can add to debate, theres not much point discussing issue with you. How can you possibly make assumptions about my friends or what we talk about?? It really is mindboggling stuff. Just because you don't personally agree with what I am saying, don't ridicule other people's opinions.

I certainly disagree with some sentiments expressed on this board, but I will NEVER attempt to ridicule anyone for expressing an opinion different to my own. I am not getting into Strachan debate again and I will leave it at that.

From my own personal viewpoint, there would be much more opposition for an Irish International signing for Rangers from the Irish public themselves rather than Rangers as a club. Some will agree with me, many won't, but lets leave the petty ridicule off this forum please.

• Advertisement

Ziggy, thats fine, like most of us we can only go on our personal experiences which tend to form our opinions and thats why I respect the views you form on an issue even though I disagree with you. In my experience, from what i was told, I formed an opinion on Gordon Strachan and why he wasnt liked by a section of Celtic support. I repeat a section, not all, not half, a section. I am an Irishman, but I dont subsribe to the theory that everything is great about Celtic and everything about Rangers is evil. Its just how I have experienced life and things that have happened to me. Your a Celtic supporter, and I can totally understand why you would have not one thing positive to say about Rangers. Thats your prerogative, I dont agree with your sentiment, but fully accept it. Your personal life experiences have moulded your opinions in this way.

Zig, I am not focusing on Celtic, far from it. That was the issue being discussed on forum at the time. I am quite happy to discuss Rangers signing an Irishman if this is the issue now! I don't believe the singing of any song is exactly a cast iron guarantee on fans feelings! Fans sing songs to wind up their rivals in this case Celtic. If an Irishman started scoring the goals for Rangers he would soon win over any fans unhappy about his signing. Footie fans are rather fickle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Let me just say I despise the famine song but I do ask the question is it any more appalling than singing songs glorifying terrorists who bombed innocent people

Lads, can any of you send me a PM with a decent stream for the game tonight? Thanks.

Before we go down the road of BotOB or BBB not being about the Provo's I already know that but there are many in your support who sing them don't. The fact sections of Celtic fans are happy to chant about the IRA is enough or of course the recent ditty about Novo dying in his sleep "with a bullet in his head from the IRA" People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones is the phrase that springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Let me just say I despise the famine song but I do ask the question is it any more appalling than singing songs glorifying terrorists who bombed innocent people

There are lots of horrible songs sung by "supporters" of many teams, I personally detest any of these songs that seriously glorify violence, racism etc. Most clubs will always have a few idiots who engage in this type of behaviour, I guess that the aim of all clubs should be to make this the exception rather than the norm, obviously to eradicate it would be the ultimate goal. Of course it is always easy for people to justify it by saying thay are as bad as us.

Anyway on a lighter note, I am off to the Celtic game to see what the corporate/business seats are like. I guess it will be weird, as part of the letter that I received with my ticket I was told all about the dress code etc.

There are lots of horrible songs sung by "supporters" of many teams, I personally detest any of these songs that seriously glorify violence, racism etc. Most clubs will always have a few idiots who engage in this type of behaviour, I guess that the aim of all clubs should be to make this the exception rather than the norm, obviously to eradicate it would be the ultimate goal. Of course it is always easy for people to justify it by saying thay are as bad as us.

Anyway on a lighter note, I am off to the Celtic game to see what the corporate/business seats are like. I guess it will be weird, as part of the letter that I received with my ticket I was told all about the dress code etc.

I certainly was not trying to justify the song nor was I having a go at Ziggy personally you are right all clubs have there scum elements and we should be trying to eradicate them. Again I have nothing against some banter and slagging but I try not to hate, someone once asked me if I hated Celtic fans and my answer was I may hate someone who supports Celtic but that won't be the reason why I hate them.

Always found the corporate/business thing strange can never fully relax in them would say I hope you have a great time but that would mean Celtic winning so sorry :p

focus_mad wrote: »

Are you for real???

Of course not.

I remember they tried to take an Irish youth player for a trial from Co. Louth, and his family got dogs abuse over this.

Quelle surprise.

They boo Irish players whenever they're at Ibrox - stop and have a think why that is.

As for the fellas family getting dogs abuse, are you surprised? Rangers are inherently anti-Irish, it permeates their club however uncomfortable some might find that statement I'm afraid it's true (and I very much like and respect the couple of Rangers fans that post on here). It's not just a "minority" otherwise we'd only hear a few people singing The Famine Song or The Billy Boys, lyrics of which are utterly disgusting - how could an Irishman support them, let alone play for them?
    I don't believe the singing of any song is exactly a cast iron guarantee on fans feelings! Fans sing songs to wind up their rivals in this case Celtic.

Racism is racism whether at a football match or not it is disgusting and there can be no excuses for it.

Quelle surprise.

They boo Irish players whenever they're at Ibrox - stop and have a think why that is.

As for the fellas family getting dogs abuse, are you surprised? Rangers are inherently anti-Irish, it permeates their club however uncomfortable some might find that statement I'm afraid it's true (and I very much like and respect the couple of Rangers fans that post on here). It's not just a "minority" otherwise we'd only hear a few people singing The Famine Song or The Billy Boys, lyrics of which are utterly disgusting - how could an Irishman support them, let alone play for them?

Yup I am anti Irish and all th Rangers fans I know are the same :rolleyes:

Lads, can any of you send me a PM with a decent stream for the game tonight? Thanks.

Paulo, provided I get back to the mot's gaff in time I should be able to sort you out.

Yup I am anti Irish and all th Rangers fans I know are the same :rolleyes:

In my opinion anti-Irish racism is institutionalised at Rangers - do you agree with that statement?

In my opinion anti-Irish racism is institutionalised at Rangers - do you agree with that statement?

No

Before we go down the road of BotOB or BBB not being about the Provo's I already know that but there are many in your support who sing them don't. The fact sections of Celtic fans are happy to chant about the IRA is enough or of course the recent ditty about Novo dying in his sleep "with a bullet in his head from the IRA" People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones is the phrase that springs to mind

The Novo song is very distasteful but not sectarian or racist. I have yet to hear a "rebel" song that is anywhere near being on a par with "being up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die" or telling a whole nation that an act of attempted genocide was over and that they should all leave your country.

Would it be acceptable to chant at black players - slavery is over so **** off back to Africa?

• Advertisement

No

If I turned up supporting Rangers with an Irish tricolour would I be safe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement