Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

ziggy wrote: »

Your probably right Ziggy he doesn't realise how paranoid you lot are :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Feck sake Ziggy I have been going to games in our league for 50 years and I don't understand your reasons give him a break :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Feck sake Ziggy I have been going to games in our league for 50 years and I don't understand your reasons give him a break :p

I am not discussing this any further.... Its ridiculous, I dont know whether your admitting your paranoid or not Ziggy! Please leave out this two friends nonsense too! FFS:mad: Can we stick to talking about football and issues related to football please!? Its the last I am saying on the subject.

Is Scott McDonald on his way out of Celtic? It would be utter madness for Celtic to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Brewster wrote: »
    Is Scott McDonald on his way out of Celtic? It would be utter madness for Celtic to sell him.

Nothing has happened yet despite all the talk, West Ham are signing Benni McCarthy so I wonder if McDonald is off the menu for them?

McDonald has not been brilliant lately but he is a proven goal scorer, if Mowbray plans on ditching a striker and getting a new one then Samaras should be the one to go. He is looking more and more like a dud for us.

Charco wrote: »
    Nothing has happened yet despite all the talk, West Ham are signing Benni McCarthy so I wonder if McDonald is off the menu for them?

McDonald has not been brilliant lately but he is a proven goal scorer, if Mowbray plans on ditching a striker and getting a new one then Samaras should be the one to go. He is looking more and more like a dud for us.

Obviously, dont know anything about the Dane who may come good and be a penalty box striker, but McDonald is by a country mile the best goal scorer at Celtic. Samaras on his day can be decent, but not as a penalty box striker. On his other days though, he can be worse than rank. His bad games well out number his good Charco, so think you may be right. I can't see anyone bidding 3.5m for Samaras though, where as McDonald would have plenty of options.

Zig, no problem debating the issue whatsoever. The level of debate here with yourself doesn't exactly challenge me to be honest, let alone warrent any tears! If your admitting your paranoid then fine, lets move on, if you are denying your paranoid, evidence contained in some of your postings would indicate otherwise. You still refuse to discuss the Fortune "goal" in last Old Firm game and would rather talk about my friends! Im touched, however, lets move on in the interests of other forum users...

I did ask them, and like they vast majority of Celtic and Rangers fans I would suspect, they didn't know anything about him either! He wasn't exacly a blue chip signing. Best of the luck to the guy at Celtic, I hope he does well, and certainly made a great start to his Celtic career which is half the battle as it helps gets fans onside.

Btw, isnt two friends better than none, Billy no mates :D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Lads, go get the table and results Strachan had after playing 21 or 22 games last seaon.... I haven't checked this, but Id be amazed if Celtic were not better off.

Bob, last season was Celtic's downfall, the board didnt back Strachan in January and Celtic lost league by a hairs breath. Blaming Strachan for this "capitulation" is nonsense. He won league season before having been 7 behind. The facts of the matter are the man won 3 in a row, and had he got a bit of backing from board in Jan 2008, it would have been four in a row. Look at Mowbray's performances now FFS, it would not be possible to do much worse! Add to this, Celtic are competing against a Rangers team that cannot even offer contract extensions FFS!! This is not good enough, Mowbray has to take responsibility. Did you hear his interview last night or read about it? It was all miracles and this and that... Nonsense talk.....

Caldwell was only looking for parity with Boruc etc. He wasn't looking for a fortune. I fully appreciate the point about spending and keeping it under control, however, they just shelled out 2m on transfer fees!!! This could have been spent on Caldwells "few extra" quid and change left over after it! Then the lad that comes in can't even play as hes not fit. You couldn't make it up.

Fair point re refs, I didnt hear any Celtic fans complaining on this ocassion, I have read some comical stuff on here before from Ziggy especially after last Old Firm game! Good to see you at least Paul saying Celtic as a club have to take responsibility

Why would Caldwell deserve parity with Boruc? Caldwell is MUCK!

...and as for the stats about Strachan and Mowbray... here's something or you to mull over...

Strachan's last 22 league games versus Mowbray's first 22 league games:

22 league games for Mowbray
    13 wins
    44 points

Last 22 league games for Strachan
    10 wins
    42 points
    ...and he had 4 years to build a team

Why would Caldwell deserve parity with Boruc? Caldwell is MUCK!

...and as for the stats about Strachan and Mowbray... here's something or you to mull over...

Strachan's last 22 league games versus Mowbray's first 22 league games:

22 league games for Mowbray
    13 wins
    44 points

Last 22 league games for Strachan
    10 wins
    42 points
    ...and he had 4 years to build a team

Go compare Mowbray's first 22 league games with Strachan's first 22 league games and John Barnes first 22 league games.. I think you will find Mowbray's record in closer to John Barnes! In fact upto weekend, Barnes had more league wins according to paper last week! :eek: Scary stuff indeed.

Aye right, Caldwell is garbish, aye, just doubled his wages to play in English Premiership. The Sunday Indo has his transfer as one of the top ten in concluded in January window. Your right, worst player ever to wear the hoops!

Go compare Mowbray's first 22 league games with Strachan's first 22 league games and John Barnes first 22 league games.. I think you will find Mowbray's record in closer to John Barnes! In fact upto weekend, Barnes had more league wins according to paper last week! :eek: Scary stuff indeed.

Aye right, Caldwell is garbish, aye, just doubled his wages to play in English Premiership. The Sunday Indo has his transfer as one of the top ten in concluded in January window. Your right, worst player ever to wear the hoops!

Where did I say he was the worst playet to wear the Hoops???

Let's see... Hibs fans were astounded when Caldwell was joining Celtic as they thought he was muck, they were delighted to see the back of him.

Celtic fans are delighted that Caldwell was joining Wigan as they thought he was muck, they were delighted to see the back of him.

See a pattern emerging?

As for the Sunday Independent??? What sort of coverage do they give scottish football? Shag all. I would pay very little attetion to anything that paper says.

As somebody who watches nearly every Celtic game I am basing my opinion of Caldwell on games I have seen him play. He had a handful of good/excellent games for Celtic over the past number of years. He is nowhere near good enough to play for Celtic and was constantly found out in the CL. The amount of mistakes he made which led to goals was unreal.

...now what do you think of those stats I gave you? Any comment on them bar not commenting on them and referring me back to other stats as you did state that Strachan's team did not capitulate in the league... they clearly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Just signed up Paul Slane from Motherwell too

• Advertisement

Let's see... Hibs fans were astounded when Caldwell was joining Celtic as they thought he was muck, they were delighted to see the back of him.

Celtic fans are delighted that Caldwell was joining Wigan as they thought he was muck, they were delighted to see the back of him.

See a pattern emerging?

As for the Sunday Independent??? What sort of coverage do they give scottish football? Shag all. I would pay very little attetion to anything that paper says.

As somebody who watches nearly every Celtic game I am basing my opinion of Caldwell on games I have seen him play. He had a handful of good/excellent games for Celtic over the past number of years. He is nowhere near good enough to play for Celtic and was constantly found out in the CL. The amount of mistakes he made which led to goals was unreal.

...now what do you think of those stats I gave you? Any comment on them bar not commenting on them and referring me back to other stats as you did state that Strachan's team did not capitulate in the league... they clearly did.

Ok, Ill stick to Irish Sun in future, I won't read the Sunday Indo! Time will tell, one goal for Caldwell already and one clean sheet! Not a bad start to his premiership career Bobby.

As for Strachan, three league titles in a row, lost a fourth on last day of season. Two last 16 appearances in CL. Not bad stats I would have thought?? Not sure Mr. Mowbray will ever reach such lofty heights...

Ok, Ill stick to Irish Sun in future, I won't read the Sunday Indo! Time will tell, one goal for Caldwell already and one clean sheet! Not a bad start to his premiership career Bobby.

As for Strachan, three league titles in a row, lost a fourth on last day of season. Two last 16 appearances in CL. Not bad stats I would have thought?? Not sure Mr. Mowbray will ever reach such lofty heights...

You still haven't dealt with my point though, what do you think of those stats? You said that Strachan did not capitulate the league - he clearly did.

The Irish Sun/Sunday Indo - shag all difference, both are rags and an affront to intelligent Irish people.

I don't care what Caldwell MIGYT be like in the future... as a Celtic player he was awful. If you watched Celtic games you would agree.

You still haven't dealt with my point though, what do you think of those stats? You said that Strachan did not capitulate the league - he clearly did.

The Irish Sun/Sunday Indo - shag all difference, both are rags and an affront to intelligent Irish people.

I don't care what Caldwell MIGYT be like in the future... as a Celtic player he was awful. If you watched Celtic games you would agree.

No I wouldn't agree. I watched all the Celtic games in the CL in recent seasons and he coped admirably. He scored an unfortunate goal o.g or two when he was forced to play ball with a striker when to pounce behind him. He has excellent leadership and organisation skills and I believe he is a premiership player without question. He suffered at Celtic because of playing with cart horses such as Loovens. What must you think of Loovens!!

We can discuss facts till we are blue in face Bobby, however, the only facts that are important are that Strachan won three in a row and got to last 16 twice. That can never be taken away from the man, and I salute him. If the board had given him any backing in Jan 08, Celtic would have won four in row and competed in CL this year. An opportunity sorely missed by Celtic board. He took league to last day of season and ultimately lost out to a hungrier Rangers outfit. Can you blame Strachan for the hatful of chances Celtic missed against Hibs on 2nd last game of season? No chance, the players were to blame here... So No, he didnt capitulate, far from it.

No I wouldn't agree. I watched all the Celtic games in the CL in recent seasons and he coped admirably. He scored an unfortunate goal o.g or two when he was forced to play ball with a striker when to pounce behind him. He has excellent leadership and organisation skills and I believe he is a premiership player without question. He suffered at Celtic because of playing with cart horses such as Loovens. What must you think of Loovens!!

We can discuss facts till we are blue in face Bobby, however, the only facts that are important are that Strachan won three in a row and got to last 16 twice. That can never be taken away from the man, and I salute him. If the board had given him any backing in Jan 08, Celtic would have won four in row and competed in CL this year. An opportunity sorely missed by Celtic board. He took league to last day of season and ultimately lost out to a hungrier Rangers outfit. Can you blame Strachan for the hatful of chances Celtic missed against Hibs on 2nd last game of season? No chance, the players were to blame here... So No, he didnt capitulate, far from it.

Brewster - your opinions on Celtic are always odd.

10 wins in his 22 games managing Celtic was not a capitulation? How can you ignore a fact like that? It was a clear capitulation!

Ask the CELTIC fans on here what they think of Strachan or Caldwell, they've been watching both for years... as CELTIC fans, not as someone with an axe to grind.

Brewster - your opinions on Celtic are always odd.

10 wins in his 22 games managing Celtic was not a capitulation? How can you ignore a fact like that? It was a clear capitulation!

Ask the CELTIC fans on here what they think of Strachan or Caldwell, they've been watching both for years... as CELTIC fans, not as someone with an axe to grind.

Yawn yawn yawn..... Lets focus on the negatives, lets ignore the facts that he won 7 games in a row the season before to win three in a row.. Give my head peace.

It was a dissappointing end to Strachan's reign at Celtic I dont deny this, but my opinions of him as a manager won't be tainted. I repeat, the capitulation was the fault of the board, not Strachan. Trying to bin blame on Strachan is not correct IMHO.

As for Caldwell, I quote Davy Hay, Evening Times columist and someone with close links at Celtic

"Gary Caldwell was the regular captain this season until he was sold to Wigan, and I believe his ability to organise the side is missed.

He was the best of the group of defenders at the club and their most consistent over the past couple of seasons, even allowing for his occasional mistakes.

I feared he would be a loss if the club did not bring in anyone better. It has still to be seen if Jos Hooiveld is an improvement, so it is premature to be talking about the Dutchman as captain material"

So ok, can we give it a rest, I am not the only one that rated Caldwell....

We were only agreeing last week what a talent McCourt was, you didn't think this was particularly odd?! Deary me..:eek:

• Advertisement

Bayern Munich's Edson Braafheid has signed on loan until end of season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And yoiur point is??

And yoiur point is??

My point is, if he as poor as you guys seem to think, he wouldn't be now playing in premiership. Can we leave this Caldwell stuff now, hes gone, its time to move on. Some Celtic fans rated him, other didnt, seems most on here didn't. I think, like Mowbray, he is a very good player and should be still at club. The Celtic board thought otherwise and thought he wasnt worth a new contract on Caldwell's terms, and thats the long and short of it.

I think Celtic have to look to the new players they are signing. Must the the busiest january window ever at Paradise with the totals of ins and outs.

Can these players be the players to bring the title home to Celtic Park?

My point is, if he as poor as you guys seem to think, he wouldn't be now playing in premiership. Can we leave this Caldwell stuff now, hes gone, its time to move on. Some Celtic fans rated him, other didnt, seems most on here didn't. I think, like Mowbray, he is a very good player and should be still at club. The Celtic board thought otherwise and thought he wasnt worth a new contract on Caldwell's terms, and thats the long and short of it.

I think Celtic have to look to the new players they are signing. Must the the busiest january window ever at Paradise with the totals of ins and outs.

Can these players be the players to bring the title home to Celtic Park?

Most Celtic fans on any other forums i'm on didnt rate him either. Having his wages doubled to play for a mediocre Premiership team means f all. The wages paid there to average players are obscene.

Most Celtic fans on any other forums i'm on didnt rate him either. Having his wages doubled to play for a mediocre Premiership team means f all. The wages paid there to average players are obscene.

Well they will be delighted he is gone then. I on the other hand, like some others, think he will be a loss to Celtic. He has left a very poor standard league to play in possibly the best league in the world and I wish him all the best as he furthers his career. Thats football, it doesn't stand still. Time will tell re Caldwell and how his career progresses as to whether the Celtic board were correct or not to deny him his contract...Time to move on.

This Camara signing seems interesting, he is the third Camara to play for Celtic in recent times after Henri and Mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Selling Caldwell was a boardroom decision. They sold a player that the manager wanted to keep. They want to reduce the costs of the team. If you think that selling Caldwell and getting Hooiveld was about improving the squad then you are sadly mistaken, it was all about balancing books.

I think its amazing that a ****e SPL defender can become a first team player at an EPL club and doubling his wages for the next four years at least. Wigan must have money to burn!!

The Sunday Indo has his transfer as one of the top ten in concluded in January window.

Out of interest... who were the other 9?

Well they will be delighted he is gone then. I on the other hand, like some others, think he will be a loss to Celtic. He has left a very poor standard league to play in possibly the best league in the world and I wish him all the best as he furthers his career. Thats football, it doesn't stand still. Time will tell re Caldwell and how his career progresses as to whether the Celtic board were correct or not to deny him his contract...Time to move on.

This Camara signing seems interesting, he is the third Camara to play for Celtic in recent times after Henri and Mo!

I wish Caldwell well, I have no axe to grind with him personally... bar the fact that he was awful in his time at Celtic.

The Celtic board were correct not to offer him the money he wanted as he just wasn't good enough. That Wigan offered him mental money is a sad indictment of them and the huge swathes of mediocre millionaires that permeate football in general and the EPL in particular.

Seriously do a straw poll of Celtic fans and what they thought of Caldwell, you'll be in a huge minority if you do. Even fans of other teams never rated him and constantly laughed at him.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Selling Caldwell was a boardroom decision. They sold a player that the manager wanted to keep. They want to reduce the costs of the team. If you think that selling Caldwell and getting Hooiveld was about improving the squad then you are sadly mistaken, it was all about balancing books.

I think its amazing that a ****e SPL defender can become a first team player at an EPL club and doubling his wages for the next four years at least. Wigan must have money to burn!!

Look, its what football is all about, Martinez can only be basing his opinions on Caldwell's ability from his time at Celtic as he was there for a number of years. He sees something he likes much like I did. Are Martinez and guys with views such as my own wrong and you guys all correct? I don't know. As I say, only time will determine this.

I agree with you on board Dempsey, however, they are shelling out a few bob today to be fair to them. Credit where credit is due in my eyes.

Latest from SSN

17.09 Sky Sports News understands that Tottenham striker Robbie Keane is set to hold talks with Celtic over a possible switch to Scotland, with the window open north of the border until midnight.

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Latest from SSN

17.09 Sky Sports News understands that Tottenham striker Robbie Keane is set to hold talks with Celtic over a possible switch to Scotland, with the window open north of the border until midnight.

:):):)

Gary who? :D

Keane would just be a brilliant end to this transfer window.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Gary who? :D

:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

:confused::confused::confused:

Was just a reference to the Caldwell chat. The mere mention of Keane I would expect will nip that in the bud. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Do people actually think Robbie Keane is in anyway a decent player!? :eek:

draffodx wrote: »

Eh???

Looks like Skippy is of to Boro. Would rather see Sammy out the door tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Middlesbrough sign Scott McDonald.

Anyone know why the deadline in SCotland is the later time of midnight??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Yes of course he is, he is one of the most consistent strikers in the history of the Premiership and its tenth highest goalscorer, by a country mile he is the greatest ever Irish striker scoring over 40 goals and always a threat agianst any opposition. He would be a fantastic signing for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Whatever about thinking he is overrated by Irish people but this one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read on this forum.

JPA wrote: »
    Middlesbrough sign Scott McDonald.

Had a feeling he'd go, and I'm not happy to see him go. He's one player I would have wanted to keep - would rather Samaras gone instead of him. The possible Keane loan makes it easier to take of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone know why the deadline in SCotland is the later time of midnight??

I think the Premier League is being odd tbh, most other leagues get the whole day AFAIK

PauloMN wrote: »
    Had a feeling he'd go, and I'm not happy to see him go. He's one player I would have wanted to keep - would rather Samaras gone instead of him. The possible Keane loan makes it easier to take of course.

Your dead right Paul!! No more Caldwell!! Keane would be an AMAZING signing, who is going to pay his wages? He must be on massive money at Spurs??

McDonald is a blow obviously, I have said consistently he is Celtic's best goalscorer by a distance, however, they have got good money for him. Super money. And with all the players signing today either, either Boruc, McGeady or McDonald needed to be sold to balance books I felt.

I cant see Samaras getting anywhere near a Celtic team now. Keane up front with Camara with Fortune on bench, or maybe even 4-4-3, Keane, Camara and Fortune up front...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

How much for Mcdonald?

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    How much for Mcdonald?

I see figures of 3.5-4.5m being quoted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Robbie Keane obviously doubts his own ability if he's going to Celtic.

I see figures of 3.5-4.5m being quoted...

Happy with that we got him for 750,000 so a good bit of buisness.

Robbie Keane obviously doubts his own ability if he's going to Celtic.

Ye what?

Badabing wrote: »
    Ye what?

Don't rise to it dude. It's the usual "Celtic are ****e, SPL is ****e" stuff that's trotted out on a regular basis here anytime Celtic have something to celebrate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement