Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Badabing wrote: »
    Happy with that we got him for 750,000 so a good bit of buisness.

I think it might have been even less than 750k! Ill leave it to the rest of the experts to confirm this though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Brewster wrote: »
    I think it might have been even less than 750k! Ill leave it to the rest of the experts to confirm this though!!!

Yeah it's around that anyway! wonder if we do sign Keane will we pay all his wages or half or 3/4 or sumtin.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah it's around that anyway! wonder if we do sign Keane will we pay all his wages or half or 3/4 or sumtin.

I haven't a clue. I think Celtic needed to do something to get a buzz back about place. Their attendances have been falling at an alarming rate this season, and they need to get bums back on seats. Robbie Keane is one way of doing this. Board are probably thinking that an extra 20k seats sold for home games at 25 pound a pop is 500k a game!!

Thats serious income and would pay some of his wages for sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Thats him signed according to SSN.

Dealing over.

Catch us if you can! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

I am keeping faith in him to :p
    strange choice there.

after the goings on of today, can you see any way back for the hoops???

Good luck to Keane.

Good for Celtic, Keane and the SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Eirebear wrote: »
    Thats him signed according to SSN.

Dealing over.

Catch us if you can! :D
    OK :D

poindexter wrote: »
    strange choice there.

There was always a way back for Celtic. The league is far from over.

However.

It takes new players time to gel, time to form partnerships and understanding.
    You sold your top scorer, and club captain along with the others you let go.

Dont get me wrong, there could be some interesting months ahead for you guys if they hit the ground running....but if they dont, then i predict a hell of a lot of angry Celtic fans by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I haven't a clue. I think Celtic needed to do something to get a buzz back about place. Their attendances have been falling at an alarming rate this season, and they need to get bums back on seats. Robbie Keane is one way of doing this. Board are probably thinking that an extra 20k seats sold for home games at 25 pound a pop is 500k a game!!

Thats serious income and would pay some of his wages for sure....

Most of the people staying away are season book holders, attendances may go up but its mostly people who've already paid for the seat.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Most of the people staying away are season book holders, attendances may go up but its mostly people who've already paid for the seat.

Fair enough if this is the case, Im sure you have a point. Sure even if they sell 5k seats more which were unsold, it will still make a difference. They cant all be season books. At least a decent atmosphere will be generated by full house which can inspire the players.

• Advertisement

Fair enough if this is the case, Im sure you have a point. Sure even if they sell 5k seats more which were unsold, it will still make a difference. They cant all be season books. At least a decent atmosphere will be generated by full house which can inspire the players.

Celtic Park, its currently a place you go to abuse players for making any mistake. Robbie Keane isnt a clinical finisher, i'm current deciding how many weeks of a honeymoon period he'll get before the bitching starts :pac:

Celtic Park, its currently a place you go to abuse players for making any mistake. Robbie Keane isnt a clinical finisher, i'm current deciding how many weeks of a honeymoon period he'll get before the bitching starts :pac:

Jeez, cheer up man!!!:P:P You have just pulled off a fantastic signing, all beit losing one of your better players. Keane and Camara up front, is a lot more exciting than Samaras and co!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Today certainly improves our chances, our biggest problem was that we didn't have anyone who could put the ball in the net, I still expect our back line to be dodgy but during the season we have created more than enough chances to score more than anyone else we played. With Keane I think that should start becoming more evident.

Once Maloney and Brown return (anyone know when they are back?) I think we will see a much more exciting Celtic team, I'm looking forward to seeing how the squad preforms tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well well well, I have spent months telling my mate at work 'not to be stupid' when the issue of Keane came up. Hopefully, he will have a big bearing on clawing back the lead we have gifted Rangers. Still gutted that we had to give back Bellamy years ago so this could be in the same mould.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I've always been a firm believer in keeping the finances in order, even when longing for better results from week to week. I know we all knock the board from time to time, but days like today is exactly why the club has been prudent all along.

It's like Christmas Part II. I am totally f**king loving it and cannot wait to see Keane playing for the Hoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Whatever about thinking he is overrated by Irish people but this one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read on this forum.

Sorry but I just dont rate Keane at all, whatever the stats say I think he could be a way better player than he actually is.

He just comes across as lazy sometimes and he can miss the chances he should be sticking away in the big games.

My comment was a bit OTT and I take it back but I dont expect Keane to be Celtics savior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm confused. Is Robbie a Celtic fan or a Liverpool fan?

Probably a bit of both, does it matter?

Eh, no it doesn't. I'm just curious.

Is that ok with you?

• Advertisement

Hell yeah. I have heard enough stories of 'boyhood fan' to realise that reality may be a bit different

The reason I'm curious is that when he was joining Liverpool, he said that Liverpool were his whole life when he was a kid, but the articles about him going to Celtic are saying that Celtic were his boyhood heroes.

Rednapp said it aswell today.

draffodx wrote: »
    He just comes across as lazy sometimes and he can miss the chances he should be sticking away in the big games.

He only has 2 big games left in this season, compared to what he is used to I shouldn't imagine Hibs or Dundee Utd would be a massive worry for him.

Charco wrote: »
    He only has 2 big games left in this season, compared to what he is used to I shouldn't imagine Hibs or Dundee Utd would be a massive worry for him.

Someone might want to point out that he's currently closer to Hibs and Dundee Utd on points than he is Rangers at this current time then eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

strange choice there.

There's always a way back at this point in the season mate.
    While I rate Keane as a player he is just that a player not some sort of messiah should make for an interesting few months ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

kraggy wrote: »
    The reason I'm curious is that when he was joining Liverpool, he said that Liverpool were his whole life when he was a kid, but the articles about him going to Celtic are saying that Celtic were his boyhood heroes.

Rednapp said it aswell today.

I really dont see what the mysterry is, a very large number of Irish soccer fans support both Celtic and an English club and Keane is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

draffodx wrote: »
    Sorry but I just dont rate Keane at all, whatever the stats say I think he could be a way better player than he actually is.

My comment was a bit OTT and I take it back but I dont expect Keane to be Celtics savior

I know where you're coming from... but he is tenth in the all-time Premiership scorers list and he's younger than all 9 ahead of him.

He drifts out of position a lot, tries complicated flicks a lot, doesn;t always do the easy or right thing but in saying all that he is still one of the best strikers around in the game.

Welcome to Paradise Robbie!!!

He's a description of Big Dunc taken from a mish mash of sources. Just thought it'd be helpful in letting the average Celtic fan what he's all about.
    Rasmussen was bought by the defending Superliga champions Brøndby, with whom he signed a five-year contract. With a price tag of 12 million DKK, he replaced striker Morten Skoubo who had been sold to Spanish club Real Sociedad. He started using the moniker "Duncan" when playing for Brøndby. His start at Brøndby was marked by an injury incurred in March 2006, and in the remaining games of the 2005-06 Superliga season, he scored one goal in 6 matches. He started the 2006-07 Superliga season by scoring three goals in six games, before an injury sidelined him in August 2006. He returned in February 2007, helping Brøndby win the 2007 Royal League cup tournament, and went on to score 15 goals in 13 games in the second half of the 2006-07 Superliga season. In the 2007-08 Superliga season, Rasmussen scored seven goals in 19 games, before suffering an injury in March 2008. In that season he also helped Brøndby win the 2008 Danish Cup. The 2008-09 season was Rasmussen's first full Brøndby season without major injuries, as he scored nine goals in 25 games. Following 12 goals in 15 games in the first half of the 2009-10 Superliga, Rasmussen attracted the attention of Scottish club Celtic. On 25 January 2010, Rasmussen arrived in Glasgow for contract negotiations and a medical with Celtic before signing on a three and a half year deal the next day. Rasmussen exclaimed he was delighted to join the Glasgow club saying "I started at Aarhus, before going to Brondby, which was a bigger club, so moving to Celtic is another big step up for me." Rasmussen chose to abandon the moniker "Duncan" when playing for Celtic. Rasmussen made his debut for Celtic on 27 January 2010 during a 1-2 defeat to Hibernian, replacing Georgios Samaras as a substitute after 60 mins, and scored his first lucky goal for Celtic in the 1-0 victory against Hamilton Accies on 30 January.

So what about the player behind the name? Celtic have signed a strong, tall centre-forward who manager, Tony Mowbray, believes has a hunger for “scruffy” goals as well as skillful ones. “I like to keep it simple and get into the box as fast as possible and fight for the ball and hopefully score some goals,” he added. “For a striker it’s always a good thing to score quickly when you join a new club and hopefully that will be the case for me as well. But it’s not something I’ve thought about too much. I just want to do the best I can, given the chance.”

He simply loves the physical battles to create space for himself in tight areas and he has got the fighting spirit of a wounded bull. Qualities that will no doubt please most Celtic supporters. And with a spot open for an extra striker to support Nicklas Bendtner in the Danish World Cup spot, Rasmussen will no doubt be extra eager to make a name for himself in Scotland. However, Celtic fans expecting to see a Scandinavian replacement for Henrik Larsson will be desperately disappointed. While Rasmussen is certainly physically more robust than the former Swedish international, he doesn't have the speed or Larsson's delicate first touch. Having said that, 52 goals in 111 appearances for Brondby and ten goals in 21 appearances for the Danish Under-21 national side is certainly proof that 'Duncan' has plenty of goalscoring instinct.

But while there are plenty of factors which could indicate that Rasmussen might possibly soon turn into a crowd favourite at Celtic Park, there are also a few skeletons in his closet which suggest that immaturity and lack of discipline could rule him out of favour of Mowbray's disciplinary regime. In late 2006, Rasmussen stupidly slid down on his knees on a waterlogged pitch after a match was called off because of torrential rain. The young striker damaged ligaments as a result and missed four months of football. Rasmussen's taste for heavy partying has also landed him in hot water throughout his career. While still earning his bread and butter with AGF Aarhus he was fined £1000 after drinking heavily in a nightclub following a defeat against Aalborg. In August 2007 he was forced to make a public apology after getting involved in a brawl at a disco in Copenhagen. Rasmussen has also openly admitted that he suffers from, and is being treated for, an addiction to gambling. The admission came after he was given a suspended sentence after committing credit card fraud with his girlfriend's VISA card in 2008 in order to raise funds for his love of gambling. Still, with a personality that is very quiet and unassuming by nature, the Scottish media will soon find out that Rasmussen is not about to make big headlines for himself outside the pitch if he is treated correctly. Back in the '90s Danish legend Brian Laudrup left Fiorentina and the aggressive Italian media for Rangers and a life around Glasgow where he settled amazingly well thanks to Scottish hospitality and a mentality that generally fits very well with the Danish laid-back approach. This could very well be exactly the environment that will enable 'Duncan' to find peace with himself in his private life which will help him to become even more successful on the pitch.

By the way! Why aren't more people upset about Skippy moving on? :(

He's a description of Big Dunc taken from a mish mash of sources. Just thought it'd be helpful in letting the average Celtic fan what he's all about.

I think Skippy's departure was clouded by King Keane's arrival. No question about this. McDonald was a lovely player, a wonderful goalscorer who seemed to be in the right place at right time. This positional sense is something you have or you don't as a player. Strachan will be delighted to get him. A mini Celtic revolution going on down Teeside! McDonald will be missed in future and into next season unless Camara takes up mantle. Samaras wont do it, and not sure Fortune is a clinical finisher either from what I have seen. Camara and Fortune have never been prolific goalscorers and do their best work outside box. Prehaps the Dane can become the penalty box predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I'd say it's because he's been out of the team more than in it this season, it's like Magic a few years ago, had a great first season then went of the boil, it's better to sell a player on when you can still get a half decent fee for them.

I can't wait to watch the match tonight and to make it even better I've just got HD in at home. It starts on ESPN at 7pm tonight and I can only imagine that all the talk will be of all the new Players brought in, especially Keane.

The only down side I can see at the moment is that it might take a little while to get used to who all the new faces are, hopefully they gel quickly and we can start marching up the league starting tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Some headbangers in our support :D midnight on a cold Feb night

141mu0z.jpg

hwagjs.jpg

pics coutersy of peelmaster from the Huddleboard

Feck sake you put me right off my tea with them :p

141mu0z.jpg

Can anyone else see Michael Owen?

Does anyone have a stream?

Just click it when Maguire scores, GREAT!

Just click it when Maguire scores, GREAT!

Sods Law mate!

WTF is TM thinking putting Brown on at Left Back?! :confused:

Oh dear, Oh dearie dear /unsubscribes from thread :(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

An embarrsing defeat for Celtic, not going to catch Rangers now, delighted. C'mon the Gers!

Scott Brown at Left Back & taking the armband off Loovens is the straw that has broken the camels back

• Advertisement

Scott Brown at Left Back & taking the armband off Loovens is the straw that has broken the camels back

Have to say I found that a strange one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

how do celtic manage to afford keanes wages...?

how do celtic manage to afford keanes wages...?

Chances are Mr Desmond is paying them out of his own pocket. or at least some of them

delighted. C'mon the Gers!

Go and set up your own Rangers thread with that ****e

Go and set up your own Rangers thread with that ****e

Somebody is sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Somebody is sensitive.

Yeah but he has a point. Last time I checked the thread title read "Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours".

Didnt see that coming tonight tbh - still, all can be turned around yet, early days.

Yeah but he has a point. Last time I checked the thread title read "Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours".

All bar the last 3 words of my post were about Celtic, so its in the right thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

An embarrsing defeat for Celtic, not going to catch Rangers now, delighted. C'mon the Gers!

GTF monkey.

Its a disappointing night for Celtic that is for sure. I watched 90 mins on ESPN HD, so had a good view of game. First of all, what is that Donkey Loovens doing captaining Celtic? O'Dea and now Loovens? What exactly has he done? Brown obviously shares my sentiments and couldn't wait to rip it off him!!!! You couldn't make it up.

It is hilarious if it wasn't so serious, it really is. Whose instruction was it? I can only assume it was Celtic management or did Brown get a rush to head?!
    Then Mowbray thought it was a good idea of play Brown left back to give the team some width? Oh how I looked on in amazement, as did Craig Burley. Get McGeady over to left, Fortune down right and lads up middle. Its not rocket science.

As for game, typical Celtic, huffed and puffed but couldn't blow Killie down. Killie fully deserved their win the way they battled and defended. I thought there keeper was immense and fully deserved MOTM.

N'Guemo, what a waste of a Celtic Jersey? Do any Celtic fans seriously rate him? He gets a nosebleed if he goes beyond half way line!

I tell ya, Walter Smith must be laughing his head of at this and quite franky I don't blame him. Celtic are a shambles? Mowbray is seriously out of his depth I am starting to think....

Finally. McGeady, if he is an 8m pound player, well feck me, Im worth 500k at least........!!

• Advertisement

Ah lads, welcome back to reality after 24 hours of misplaced hope :(. I honestly don't know where to start with the game tonight. It may be anger and/or alcohol taking here but I have come to the conclusion that there are far too many squad players that just aren't fit to wear the Celtic jersey any more.

If I was in charge I think I would drop Boruc for a while and give Zaluska a shot, Artur has deteriorated an awful lot as a keeper, when was the last time we saw him pull off a top class save like McGregor did at the end of the last OF game from Samaras' shot? Zaluska may not be much better but some competition might help Boruc, otherwise he just isn't worth his wage.

In the back line Naylor and Loovens should be gotten rid of ASAP, they are nowhere near standard.

In midfield I would sell McGeady if offered a half decent price for him, no end product from him whatsoever, I had held out hope that his crossing would improve and he would start finding the net but he just isn't doing that with us. He is a hindrance to the team now I believe and from what I have seen over the last while Hinkel provides more of a threat down our right wing than McGeady. Only a couple of years ago I remember Spurs being linked with McGeady for a double figure sum, now I would be happy enough in the region of £4m for him.

Up front I still think Fortune will come good, as Broxi_Bear_Eire said earlier Keane will not be our Messiah and that is obviously true after tonight but I do think he will improve the front line. As for Rasmussen it remains to be seen how he does but he got off to a good start.

If we take it that this season is more or less lost barring a massive shock then I think whoever is in charge next season should take the core decent members of the squad and build around them, in my opinion these would be Hinkel, Brown, Maloney, N'Guemo (if we sign him) and Fortune. I honestly can't see any more who I think are worth focusing on for the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement