Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why because it plays up to the bigots on either side

"I am a catholic so I must play for Celtic" what nonsense. I am a catholic and have never had any desire to play for or even support Celtic we don't all go about with religious prejudices its 2010 we should all be trying to move forward

How do you feel about supporting a club that openly discriminated against anyone that wasnt a protestant, especially Catholics. I wonder if you really would be a Rangers supporter if you had to live through that era of Rangers history.

You trying to be the modern era poster boy for RFC :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Celtic have just confirmed that Scott Brown will be captain for the remainder of the season, my initial reaction was one of suprise as he has just returned from injury prior to which he was out of form but when you think about it there really isnt too many other options and at least he is a player who shows that bit of drive and steel that has been missing of late.

I always feel that the role of captain in soccer and GAA etc. is not nearly as significant as the media and some fans like to think, really all teams should have many leaders and its not like Rugby where the actual captain is the only one allowed to speak to the ref and is responsible for making massive onfield decisions, to my mind the only real role for a captain in modern football is the extra responsibilities with the media and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dempsey wrote: »
    How do you feel about supporting a club that openly discriminated against anyone that wasnt a protestant, especially Catholics. I wonder if you really would be a Rangers supporter if you had to live through that era of Rangers history.

You trying to be the modern era poster boy for RFC :pac:

Well that era started at some point in the 1930's and lasted to the mid 80's I went to my first game when I was 5 in 59 so that will tell I ain't no poster boy ;)
    As to the question of what I thought of our signing policy at this time if I used the actual words I would be banned from this site suffice to sat I detested it.
    One point though the club did sign players in this era who were not Protestant's and they also signed some Catholics though none were high profile. Thankfully the signing of John Spencer then Maurice Johnson put an end to that nonsense and the club is moving in the right direction albeit slowly. The problems won't go away overnight.
    Why did I keep supporting them easy no one said I shouldn't and if they had I would have ignored them, I must have a rather large file full of letter I sent to Ibrox over the years regarding this policy.

Anyway as I have said St ledger IMO and lots of others made a phannie of himself with this statement.

Thankyou for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Celtic have just confirmed that Scott Brown will be captain for the remainder of the season, my initial reaction was one of suprise as he has just returned from injury prior to which he was out of form but when you think about it there really isnt too many other options and at least he is a player who shows that bit of drive and steel that has been missing of late.

I always feel that the role of captain in soccer and GAA etc. is not nearly as significant as the media and some fans like to think, really all teams should have many leaders and its not like Rugby where the actual captain is the only one allowed to speak to the ref and is responsible for making massive onfield decisions, to my mind the only real role for a captain in modern football is the extra responsibilities with the media and the likes.

Premierstone, as I have been saying on here, Celtic have no alternatives. The Celtic squad is simply devoid of leadership and its one of the main reason they have struggled recently. A club of Celtic's stature should have two or three players in first 11 capable of leading and driving on team and thats why I was a big fan of Robson because he could do this. Brown, leaving aside his injury problems, is the only real alternative. You couldn't make a loan signing a captain IMHO. Your correct about the rugby comparisons, are you going tomorrow? Lets hope Pauli fares better with the ref Roman Poite than he did at Thomond recently!!! Anyway enough rugby talk :D:D

Not being cheeky Bobby do you or have you ever lived in Glasgow

Well Bobby I spent most of my life there and there is always an undercurrent of hatred when it comes to both sides of the OF.
    Now I have plenty of Celtic supporting mates there and the ones I have spoken to since yesterday can't believe how stupid he has been most fans either side of the OF divide in Glasgow have moved on.
    Its time he grew up he said what he did to appeal to a certain element in Celtic's support silly silly boy

Well Bobby I spent most of my life there and there is always an undercurrent of hatred when it comes to both sides of the OF.
    Now I have plenty of Celtic supporting mates there and the ones I have spoken to since yesterday can't believe how stupid he has been most fans either side of the OF divide in Glasgow have moved on.
    Its time he grew up he said what he did to appeal to a certain element in Celtic's support silly silly boy

Really think you are making unfair assumptions here Broxi, you have no idea why he said it and it is just as likely that it was a naive comment made by someone with very little understanding of what he was saying.

To many people outside of the the Old Firm Celtic=Catholic and Rangers=Protestant, silly I know but that is a perception that is there in the uninformed whether you or I like it, I agree with you he was silly and naive but I think you stating as fact that he did it to win favour with certain elements of Celtic supporters is equally silly and presumptuous

Really think you are making unfair assumptions here Broxi, you have no idea why he said it and it is just as likely that it was a naive comment made by someone with very little understanding of what he was saying.

To many people outside of the the Old Firm Celtic=Catholic and Rangers=Protestant, silly I know but that is a perception that is there in the uninformed whether you or I like it, I agree with you he was silly and naive but I think you stating as fact that he did it to win favour with certain elements of Celtic supporters is equally silly and presumptuous

It's all about opinions you have yours and I have mine we will just have to agree to disagree :p

It's all about opinions you have yours and I have mine we will just have to agree to disagree :p

Fair enough, just think it was a throw away comment from a frustrated player that has been jumped upon, just out of curiosity if he had said ''I would have loved to join Celtic because im Irish'' would that be acceptable cos im still not really clear as to what was so offensive in what he said, irrelevant, naive, misguided yes but bigoted or inflammatory certainly not in my book.

Well that era started at some point in the 1930's and lasted to the mid 80's I went to my first game when I was 5 in 59 so that will tell I ain't no poster boy ;)
    As to the question of what I thought of our signing policy at this time if I used the actual words I would be banned from this site suffice to sat I detested it.
    One point though the club did sign players in this era who were not Protestant's and they also signed some Catholics though none were high profile. Thankfully the signing of John Spencer then Maurice Johnson put an end to that nonsense and the club is moving in the right direction albeit slowly. The problems won't go away overnight.
    Why did I keep supporting them easy no one said I shouldn't and if they had I would have ignored them, I must have a rather large file full of letter I sent to Ibrox over the years regarding this policy.

Anyway as I have said St ledger IMO and lots of others made a phannie of himself with this statement.

Thankyou for your time.

TBH, I dunno how you could support a club that detested you based on religion for so long.

Its like turkeys voting for christmas.

IMO you are just being negetive about the statement because you know there are Rangers supporters that react very badly to such statement and you dont want these phannies drawing attention to themselves.

A player declaring their religion for wanting to go to a club thats support is majority of that religion isnt an issue. I suppose Ajax should be shunned for having a Jewish identity??

TBH, I dunno how you could support a club that detested you based on religion for so long.

IMO you are just being negetive about the statement because you know there are Rangers supporters that react very badly to such statement and you dont want these phannies drawing attention to themselves.

A player declaring their religion for wanting to go to a club thats support is majority of that religion isnt an issue. I suppose Ajax should be shunned for having a Jewish identity??

I find it funny you are turning something that a player said about Celtic into a Rangers thing sorry thats bull this has nothing to do with Rangers and everything to do with St Ledger trying to get his move to Celtic by coming out with pathetic statements.

As for your statement about turkeys and Christmas it seems to me you should be made aware of some facts there are now 4 Rangers supporters clubs in the Republic 2 in Dublin 1 in Mayo 1 in Donegal it's reckopned that these clubs are about 50% RC and Protestant also taking into account the number of RC rangers fans I know personally and others I have been told about thats an awful lot of turkeys.
    Time to move on from the past it would be best for both clubs

• Advertisement

Well, you are the only one making an issue out of his religion

No I am making an issue of the fact he had to use his religion as being so important to him moving to Celtic big difference in the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm sorry Dempsey but thats absolute mince to be honest.

ST. LEDGER made an issue of his religion, by stating it as one of the reasons he is dissapointed not to have got his move to Celtic.

BBE has simply voiced his disaproval in the matter, and feels that it was aimed at getting onside with a certain section of the Celtic fans.

For some reason you are now making an issue out of BBE's religion, and his choice of football club.

Bizzare no?

Dempsey, St Ledger made a fool out of coming out with such a statement and a number of people have commented on it on this forum. To try and turn the tables on Broxi is not fair

No I am making an issue of the fact he had to use his religion as being so important to him moving to Celtic big difference in the two
    Eirebear wrote: »
    I'm sorry Dempsey but thats absolute mince to be honest.

ST. LEDGER made an issue of his religion, by stating it as one of the reasons he is dissapointed not to have got his move to Celtic.

BBE has simply voiced his disaproval in the matter, and feels that it was aimed at getting onside with a certain section of the Celtic fans.

For some reason you are now making an issue out of BBE's religion, and his choice of football club.

Bizzare no?

In reference to St. Ledger, him moving to a club with strong Irish/Catholic background shouldnt raise an eyelid. Its a factor that helps to integrate into the club, so what! Its only raised an issue with supporters of a club that have discriminated based on religion in the past. The issue is that RFC and sections of their support will react to such comments. It seems to be a sensitive subject with Rangers because it makes them look bad.

In reference to me commentating on BBE's religion and choice of club is very different. To me its would be like an African American slave going around with the Confederate Flag back in 1862.

He can support whatever club he likes, I dont really care but I couldnt support a club knowing that they've had a long history of discriminating based on religion, especially when if it was my religion in their crosshairs. I just wanted to hear his thinking on the matter. I'm not trying to cause offence, its a genuine curiosity.

Brewster wrote: »
    Dempsey, St Ledger made a fool out of coming out with such a statement and a number of people have commented on it on this forum. To try and turn the tables on Broxi is not fair

Mind your own business

In reference to St. Ledger, him moving to a club with strong Irish/Catholic background shouldnt raise an eyelid. Its a factor that helps to integrate into the club, so what! Its only raised an issues with supporters of a club that have discriminated based on religion in the past. The issue is that RFC and sections of their support will react to such comments. It seems to be a sensitive subject with Rangers because it makes them look bad.

In reference to me commentating on BBE's religion and choice of club is very different. To me its would be like an African American slave going around with the Confederate Flag back in 1862.

He can support whatever club he likes, I dont really care but I couldnt support a club knowing that they've had a long history of discriminating based on religion, especially when if it was my religion in their crosshairs. I just wanted to hear his thinking on the matter. I'm not trying to cause offence, its a genuine curiosity.

So Celtic have a strong Irish Catholic background therefore its OK for prospective players to come out with this guff would you be saying the same if a Protestant player came out with these reasons for joining Rangers

And to be honest I don't care what anyone thinks of me being a Rangers fans I have followed them through the good bad and very sad times. I also have never had any bother with any Rangers fan because of my religion whereas Celtic fans or rather some of them want to make an issue of it

The difference is, Celtic is a club that didnt discriminate against anyone for any reason. Rangers openly did. If a protestant did say something like that, it could be taken that he approved of such a policy.

The difference is, Celtic is a club that didnt discriminate against anyone for any reason. Rangers openly did. If a protestant did say something like that, it could be taken that he approved of such a policy.

FFS sake not for over 20 years

You discriminated against your best ever manager by offering him a salesman's job something that upset him and his family.
    One of the Kelly's came out with the statement that he would love to play an all RC team but couldn't
    I really don't think this is going anywhere time to move on

• Advertisement

Mind your own business

Anything posted on an Internet message forum is my business Dempsey. The points raised here are there for all posters to discuss. If you two guys want to have a private conversation, then use the pm function of boards.

It seems strange to me that you can talk openly about Celtic being a club steeped in Irish/Catholic hertitage, yet would refuse to ackowledge that a section of the Celtic fanbase would discriminate against anyone not of the Catholic faith???

This was the point I was trying to raise last season about Gordon Strachan. There was a section of the Celtic support that didn't accept him because of his Church of Scotland background, because the manager didn't fit in with Celtic's proud Irish/Catholic hertitage.

Anything posted on an Internet message forum is my business Dempsey. The points raised here are there for all posters to discuss. If you two guys want to have a private conversation, then use the pm function of boards.

It seems strange to me that you can talk openly about Celtic being a club steeped in Irish/Catholic hertitage, yet would refuse to ackowledge that a section of the Celtic fanbase would discriminate against anyone not of the Catholic faith???

This was the point I was trying to raise last season about Gordon Strachan. There was a section of the Celtic support that didn't accept him because of his Church of Scotland background, because the manager didn't fit in with Celtic's proud Irish/Catholic hertitage.

Either your arse is sore from sitting on the fence or you fell off. :pac:

You find idiots in every support but thats a very small minority of the Celtic support compared to the institution itself discriminating. One could argue that their intolerance is born out of the discrimination they have received themselves.

I agree with the Strachan point, said it myself.

But Ledger wanting to join because of his faith shouldnt be an issue nor draw a groan. Alot of Irish people want to play for Celtic for various reasons, his is as valid as the next person.

Rangers supporters groaning about religion is nothing new because it draws attention to their shady past. We can all move on but we dont have to conveniently forget to make them feel better either.

Either your arse is sore from sitting on the fence or you fell off. :pac:

You find idiots in every support but thats a very small minority of the Celtic support compared to the institution itself discriminating. One could argue that their intolerance is born out of the discrimination they have received themselves.

I agree with the Strachan point, said it myself.

But Ledger wanting to join because of his faith shouldnt be an issue nor draw a groan. Alot of Irish people want to play for Celtic for various reasons, his is as valid as the next person.

Rangers supporters groaning about religion is nothing new because it draws attention to their shady past. We can all move on but we dont have to conveniently forget to make them feel better either.

Yep it's all the establishments fault and Celtic Plc is squeaky clean you must live in your own wee bubble do you listen to to the songs that come from your sections of your support.

I really can't be bothered anymore if you can't see him coming out with a comment like that is ridiculous in this day and age then there's no point in going on.

Oh by the way have a search and find out some of Celtic's real history you may find a few surprises

Lets find something else to talk about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I find it funny you are turning something that a player said about Celtic into a Rangers thing sorry thats bull this has nothing to do with Rangers and everything to do with St Ledger trying to get his move to Celtic by coming out with pathetic statements.

As for your statement about turkeys and Christmas it seems to me you should be made aware of some facts there are now 4 Rangers supporters clubs in the Republic 2 in Dublin 1 in Mayo 1 in Donegal it's reckopned that these clubs are about 50% RC and Protestant also taking into account the number of RC rangers fans I know personally and others I have been told about thats an awful lot of turkeys.
    Time to move on from the past it would be best for both clubs

Theres a supporters club in Mayo???:eek: Never heard of it here

Theres a supporters club in Mayo???:eek: Never heard of it here

There are protestants in the republic!? Dont tell the people of Glasgow! :eek::pac:

There are protestants in the republic!? Dont tell the people of Glasgow! :eek::pac:

Whats that supposed to mean?? Juvenile attemot at humour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Back to the football.... the frustration and disappointment from Tuesday has just about worn off and I am looking forward to see how the team clicks for tomorrow

Whats that supposed to mean?? Juvenile attemot at humour

Oh get off your high horse for a minute there buddy.

It was simply an attempt at injecting a wee bit of humour into the thread, its been missing for a while now.

I'm sorry to have offended you high standards in decency and taste.

Oh get off your high horse for a minute there buddy.

It was simply an attempt at injecting a wee bit of humour into the thread, its been missing for a while now.

I'm sorry to have offended you high standards in decency and taste.

Not in the least offended. I know what you mean, just didnt think it wasnt particularly funny. Now, a Mayo Supporters Club i must admit intriques me. Where are they based?

Not in the least offended. I know what you mean, just didnt think it wasnt particularly funny. Now, a Mayo Supporters Club i must admit intriques me. Where are they based?

To be honest I have no idea I only found out about through meeting a guy in the one here that had a polo shirt with it on it and he was saying he had got it from his mate who was the club secretary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Lads- seriously, let it go. I'll be honest - there's a shedload more sectarianism in Scotland than anyone can imagine can exist here. Outside of the Old firm issues, no one this side of the border actually gives a rats what your creed is (I'm in Dublin, but originally from Mayo).
    Lets leave it at that - there's no need to bring what has unnecessarily divided societies elsewhere due to ignorance anywhere other than it already exists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good result in the end today thankfully, but still more goals conceded which is worrying. I think our biggest problem at the moment is that any team that plays us - and I mean any - are well up for it, having seen how fragile we are at the back. Falkirk, Killie, Dunfermline - home or away - it doesn't matter. Not so long ago we were hearing about "Fortress Parkhead" with regard to the Champion's League - now it's Leaky Parkhead even against the dross of the bottom end of the SPL.

Very tough few weeks coming up in the league - these next 4 games will be make or break for Mowbray I reckon:

Hearts at home
    Sheep away
    Utd at home
    TFOD away
    and... dare I say it Falkirk away lol! :D

Hope Mowbray keeps it simple. 4-4-2, no fancy stuff. It seems there's been so much experimenting combined with all the new faces that at times people don't know what to be doing. The back 4 need to gel big time, and quickly as Boruc can't be confident with them in front of him at the moment.

Up front will be the most difficult choices... Rasmussen has got off to a good start, MAF seemed to have been finding his feet finally, Kamara scored today and Keane... well he's costing a fortune so kinda has to be played! :) Feast or famine eh? (No Famine song gags please... :p)

Good win, enjoyed the 2nd half. Keane's movement is something we have been missing since Larsson and Rasmussen is definitely a penalty box striker. Braafheid looks good at LB

Need to win against the mini huns on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I still don't get it though... saying something pro-Catholic does not equate to it also being anti-Protestant, I just don't see the problem mate.

You discriminated against your best ever manager by offering him a salesman's job something that upset him and his family.

At least at Celtic a Protestant had the chance to manage the club... would a Catholic have had the same chance at Rangers?

...and for the record there is not an ounce of proof to back up your accusation.

I still don't get it though... saying something pro-Catholic does not equate to it also being anti-Protestant, I just don't see the problem mate.

I honestly feel you have to live there to understand it fully mate.
    Its the one thing about Glasgow and the West coast of Scotland in General the reality is there are muppets on either side who will jump on this either to use it to show how Celtic are an RC club and it's pure magic or use it against them saying aye they only care about the Catholics there. It's sad and moronic but it's there.
    The best example I can give is when my kids were young and we were over in Glasgow for a visit they were not aloud to wear there tops unless they were going to a game and that included my youngest daughter who is a Celtic fan (Yes I have lowered my standards and have taken her to that ground on a few occasions :p ).
    Whereas they the gers fans in the family walk about here with there tops on all the time. And on very few occasions have had any bother.

Here we go...

What assumptions to make!!!

You've stated that Celtic fans discriminate against non-Catholics - can you back that up?

I know hundreds of Celtic fans... I don't know any that didn't like Strachan because he wasn't Irish or Catholic, I still don't know what religion he is because I don't care and have never been bothered to care about it. Strachan was hated for many reasons... try losing a game in the cup to Clyde and have your manager coming on TV and cracking jokes with his journo pals, try signing players that are sub-standard, try playing players out of position, playing your favourites who just aren't up to it etc... I could give you 20 different reasons why Celtic fans didn't like Strachan but you refuse to believe any of them because you're being incredibly narrowminded about this situation instead falling back on preconceived prejudices that you have about Celtic and Celtic fans.

Everyone on here gives you valid reasons why they don't like Strachan but you refuse to believe any of them.

At least at Celtic a Protestant had the chance to manage the club... would a Catholic have had the same chance at Rangers?

...and for the record there is not an ounce of proof to back up your accusation.

PLG was RC and I think you will find that JS was very disappointed but the man had a sense of loyalty sadly lacking in football these days he kept his mouth shut

PLG was RC and I think you will find that JS was very disappointed but the man had a sense of loyalty sadly lacking in football these days he kept his mouth shut

Was talking about your pre-1989 institutionalised anti-Catholic period.

Was talking about your pre-1989 institutionalised anti-Catholic period.

Not arguing that point I have already stated in this thread what my feelings on Rangers signing policy were at that time

That statement sums this fool up very succinctly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Said-No-Thanks-Autobiography/dp/1845022866/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265669036&sr=1-50

Always falling into the trap of being defined by the opposite of what we are, rather than what he is.

• Advertisement

That statement sums this fool up very succinctly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Said-No-Thanks-Autobiography/dp/1845022866/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265669036&sr=1-50

Always falling into the trap of being defined by the opposite of what we are, rather than what he is.

I am a fan of the wee man though I won't put him on a pedestal unlike a section of our support but as I haven't read the book I can only comment that going by the title all he said was "No Thanks" maybe you can clear this up for me.

I am a fan of the wee man though I won't put him on a pedestal unlike a section of our support but as I haven't read the book I can only comment that going by the title all he said was "No Thanks" maybe you can clear this up for me.

It's the song that your mob has for him...

There's only 1 Nacho Novo,
    He said no to the Provos,
    He said "No thanks, you're a bunch of ****"
    Walking in a Novo wonderland.

He seems to forget that we wouldn't match the wages on offer at Rangers - circa 1 goal every 4 games backs up that assertion. A below average player who is adored by your support because he's passionate... it doesn't seem to matter that he's tripe.

He seems to forget that we wouldn't match the wages on offer at Rangers - circa 1 goal every 4 games backs up that assertion. A below average player who is adored by your support because he's passionate... it doesn't seem to matter that he's tripe.

I agree with that as I said a certain section of fans have put him on a pedestal because he said no to Celtic.

As a player he had a great first season when he was played alongside Prso but now I think he is best used as an impact player bring him on for the last 30 and he will work his socks off.
    The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is if you give him time to think in front of goals he will mess up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Bit it IS an issue, and saying it isnt doesnt make it go away.

I havent posted in a long time due to getting wound up at some of the tripe spouted by people who arent from Glasgow posting silly things in this thread. So let me reintroduce myself by tackling you on this post Dempsey.

I dont know you so I dont know if youre from Glasgow or whether or not you have spent a lot of time in Holland so lets assume both are true for a second regarding your reference to Ajax. I can attest to both..being from Hamilton which is arguably one o fthe worst places in the UK for football related violence and having spent a lot of time in holland due to family connections and I would like to point out an excrutiatingly obvious fact here mate - there are no problems in Holland with the Jewish community to the extent there is in Scotland regarding the divide between Protestant and Catholic communities. So that comparison is completely useless here.

Secondly, St Ledger going to Ajax and saying 'im jewish, always wanted to play for the ajax' wouldnt really be scrutinesed too much, whereas in Scotland - a country which has been trying for several decades to erradicate the ties between Religion and football, it is a downright IGNORANT thing to do. Not only is it stupid to be reinforcing ties between Celtic and catholic bias (and dont start with the 'there is no bias' because there is and always has been) at a time when we are trying to sever those ties in Scottish society, but it is also inflamatory to be saying daft things like that safe in the knowledge that every tabloid rag in Scotland will print it and only serve to reinforce the divide further. For reference see Gascoigne mimics flute playing on the sidelines & Lennon whines like a little catholic school girl to the papers everytime someone winks at him on the street for examples of non Scottish people doing stupid things which only serve to fuel the hatred. Playing up to fans makes some people laugh....it makes most of us puke in astonishment at the stupidity.

Sorry if i strike you like a bulldozer in a bull-free china shop but this topic really gets on my goat.

odonnell wrote: »
    Bit it IS an issue, and saying it isnt doesnt make it go away.

I havent posted in a long time due to getting wound up at some of the tripe spouted by people who arent from Glasgow posting silly things in this thread. So let me reintroduce myself by tackling you on this post Dempsey.

I dont know you so I dont know if youre from Glasgow or whether or not you have spent a lot of time in Holland so lets assume both are true for a second regarding your reference to Ajax. I can attest to both..being from Hamilton which is arguably one o fthe worst places in the UK for football related violence and having spent a lot of time in holland due to family connections and I would like to point out an excrutiatingly obvious fact here mate - there are no problems in Holland with the Jewish community to the extent there is in Scotland regarding the divide between Protestant and Catholic communities. So that comparison is completely useless here.

Secondly, St Ledger going to Ajax and saying 'im jewish, always wanted to play for the ajax' wouldnt really be scrutinesed too much, whereas in Scotland - a country which has been trying for several decades to erradicate the ties between Religion and football, it is a downright IGNORANT thing to do. Not only is it stupid to be reinforcing ties between Celtic and catholic bias (and dont start with the 'there is no bias' because there is and always has been) at a time when we are trying to sever those ties in Scottish society, but it is also inflamatory to be saying daft things like that safe in the knowledge that every tabloid rag in Scotland will print it and only serve to reinforce the divide further. For reference see Gascoigne mimics flute playing on the sidelines & Lennon whines like a little catholic school girl to the papers everytime someone winks at him on the street for examples of non Scottish people doing stupid things which only serve to fuel the hatred. Playing up to fans makes some people laugh....it makes most of us puke in astonishment at the stupidity.

Sorry if i strike you like a bulldozer in a bull-free china shop but this topic really gets on my goat.

I generally agree with you regarding the stupidity of St Ledger although I certainly think you are trivialising the whole issue with Lennon who was attacked and beaten up on the streets of Glasgow by sectarian bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

I generally agree with you regarding the stupidity of St Ledger although I certainly think you are trivialising the whole issue with Lennon who was attacked and beaten up on the streets of Glasgow by sectarian bigots.

Well, to put a different slant on that mate, Celtic fans are the first to claim Barry Ferguson is a ned for 'starting a fight' with celtic fans in Bothwell when in actual fact it was his mate who got the doing and he jumped in for him. I mean, its not as if Lennon is mouthy or anything, and I certainly cant see him being stupid enough to go out and winding up people, or acting like a professional on the pitch everytime he faced Rangers.

Put it this way....if I did half the things in my lifetime to antagonise celtic fans that Lennon did with the Rangers fans, I wouldnt be alive right now. It doesnt just happen to you mate...you sometimes have to be a twat and get yourself into these situations. The fact that he, more than any other Celtic player in history, got into more trouble in Scotland speaks volumes and you will find there are 3 dozen other players on both sides of the divide who will testify to being treated WELL by the opposing fans - if you only treat them with respect and dont play the religion and hate card. You know that mate...youre in Glasgow no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Is there much interest here in the Shamrock Rovers V Celtic XI game in Tallaght stadium? Many/any heading to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

odonnell wrote: »
    Lennon whines like a little catholic school girl to the papers everytime someone winks at him on the street for examples of non Scottish people doing stupid things which only serve to fuel the hatred.

Any chance you had of being taken seriously evapourated with that comment.

Disgusting.

• Advertisement

Bobby I meant to ask you about something yesterday you rightly point this song out and I agree its despicable can you tell me your feelings on the song Celtic fans sing about him with that lovely line in it about him dying with a bullet in his head from the IRA or something along those lines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement