Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Bobby I meant to ask you about something yesterday you rightly point this song out and I agree its despicable can you tell me your feelings on the song Celtic fans sing about him with that lovely line in it about him dying with a bullet in his head from the IRA or something along those lines.

It's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

It's wrong.

Cheers mate we same to be singing the same from the same song sheet well not in a literal way :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

odonnell wrote: »
    Well, to put a different slant on that mate, Celtic fans are the first to claim Barry Ferguson is a ned for 'starting a fight' with celtic fans in Bothwell when in actual fact it was his mate who got the doing and he jumped in for him. I mean, its not as if Lennon is mouthy or anything, and I certainly cant see him being stupid enough to go out and winding up people, or acting like a professional on the pitch everytime he faced Rangers.

Put it this way....if I did half the things in my lifetime to antagonise celtic fans that Lennon did with the Rangers fans, I wouldnt be alive right now. It doesnt just happen to you mate...you sometimes have to be a twat and get yourself into these situations. The fact that he, more than any other Celtic player in history, got into more trouble in Scotland speaks volumes and you will find there are 3 dozen other players on both sides of the divide who will testify to being treated WELL by the opposing fans - if you only treat them with respect and dont play the religion and hate card. You know that mate...youre in Glasgow no?

Firstly, welcome back O'Donnell! Long time no hear!

On the above, I don't think it's as black and white as that. Being from where he is, and what he is, and even the big Irish head on him :D, he was always going to get a much harder time than the "average" Celtic player.

Throw well documented depression problems into the mix, and a fondness for drink, and the atmosphere in the ****hole that is Glasgow, and it's all bound to kick off.

Not making excuses - sometimes his behaviour would make me think "oh ****e, here we go" - but in fairness, it's hard to keep your calm when so many people have it in for you so much of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

killie away in the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

poindexter wrote: »
    killie away in the cup

Revenge will be in the air!

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »

On the above, I don't think it's as black and white as that. Being from where he is, and what he is, and even the big Irish head on him :D, he was always going to get a much harder time than the "average" Celtic player.

Throw well documented depression problems into the mix, and a fondness for drink, and the atmosphere in the ****hole that is Glasgow, and it's all bound to kick off.

Not making excuses - sometimes his behaviour would make me think "oh ****e, here we go" - but in fairness, it's hard to keep your calm when so many people have it in for you so much of the time.

Neil Lennon got a hard time in Scotland, no question about this. Some of the things that happened were dreadful. However, he could have handled himself a lot better at times too IMHO. I don't think he was particularly liked by any set of fans in Scotland, it wasn't just Rangers fans didn't like him. I tell ya something for nothing, the Celtic midfield could do with someone like him now in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    Neil Lennon got a hard time in Scotland, no question about this. Some of the things that happened were dreadful. However, he could have handled himself a lot better at times too IMHO. I don't think he was particularly liked by any set of fans in Scotland, it wasn't just Rangers fans didn't like him. I tell ya something for nothing, the Celtic midfield could do with someone like him now in their team.

But the abuse came first Brewster...

Why are/were the following players booed at stadia around Scotland?

Boruc
    McGeady
    Lennon
    James McCarthy
    just watch Keane getting the same treatment too.

There seems to be a anti-Catholic/Irish element to it. Why are no Rangers players singled out for the same abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

There seems to be a anti-Catholic/Irish element to it. Why are no Rangers players singled out for the same abuse?

Sorry dude, but have you not heard the abuse Novo takes all over Scotland? Or Ferguson did when he played for us?
    Or maybe you are deaf to the "Rapist" chants that McGregor has been on the recieving end of in recent weeks?

Players take abuse, and generally players who are "fans favourites" for one club, will be singled out for abuse by others. Its football.

Boruc
    McGeady
    Lennon
    James McCarthy

Bobby thats silly I could go back over years and years and list Rangers players that have received disgusting abuse at grounds all over Scotland.
    I tell you what the papers have a lot to do with it there was an article in the Irish Star last week saying that Keane would get abuse and it was terrible that Rangers fans called Celtic names like Scum and Septic. When I read this I nearly choked with laughter at the sheer childishness of it.

Boruc
    McGeady
    Lennon
    James McCarthy

Bobby, would you pull your head out of the sand. The reasons those players get booed is plain for everyone to see. Why dont other members of the Celtic squad get booed?? How on earth are you functioning these days being 10 points behind Rangers?

The forum is gone to pot quite frankly, Rangers and Celtic are both playing big games in a few hours time and people on here are bickering like two year olds. There is no mention of the games tonight, which quite frankly is a complete joke.

Can we talk about the football or is this asking too much??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Any chance you had of being taken seriously evapourated with that comment.

Disgusting.

well its a good thing im not altogether bothered by being taken seriously by fools and bigots without a clue then eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Hinkel, Hooivel, O'Dea, McCourt and Maloney are still out according to the BBC, I honestly haven't got a clue how to call the game but I get a feeling we will need at least two to win because I just never expect Celtic to keep a clean sheet any more.

PauloMN wrote: »

Thanks Paulo, it just got to the stage mate where I could no longer put up with the ignorance of a lot of our fellow posters. It always grated me to the core to see people arguing about things they really have no business arguing about and this extended to my time in Dublin, through the years getting into huge arguments about Celtic and Rangers, with people who had never been to Scotland - people who generally hadnt a clue how life is there with these two bloody teams of ours. But alas, my mates are here so here am I.

On the subject of Lennon mate and to partly answer Bobbysands list of poor abused celtic players - Lennon did himself absolutely NO favours. I remember thinking to myself, jaysus maybe he isnt so bad afterall, when he appeared on a windup for Barry Ferguson, ive forgotten the event maybe eirebear can remind me - but theres Lennon laying back on Fergusons sofa, reading BLUE...Fergusons Mrs brings him tea etc. Then in the following old firm game hes out there making gestures to the Rangers fans and saying stupid things in the papers. Fact is mate, and it is this simple - there are people you just shouldnt wind up and out of a cross section of a few hundred thousand fans in Glasgow you generally will want to assume that theres a few amongst them who will take it personally. His depression issues aside, and granted.... he should really have known better. To partly address Bobbys credibility issue - Lennon cried CATHOLIC to the papers any time someone abused him - ask anyone in Scotland who keeps up with the fitba, it became a sort of joke that 'here we go again....im a catholic, people abuse me because im a catholic' etc. Thats not me being a bigot, thats a fact. Im not even Protestant and his outbursts in the media pissed me right off, he was something akin to a little catholic school girl crying, so try not to be too upset here. Point in fact - the abuse was nothing to do with catholicism on the most part, it was to do with him winding people up and being a prat. Being a celtic player and a catholic just made him more noticeable.

Now...onto the list.

Boruc - gestures to the fans, gave the gers fans the finger more than once. Been caught on camera gesturing at most grounds in the SPL.
    McGeady - Scottish isnt he? Plays for ROI? oh...and ....gestures to the fans.
    McCarthy - well hes Scottish and he chose ROI , sorry if you spot a theme here but only the most naive bigotted tool would think its a religious thing. We like being Scottish, and we like Scottish people to choose Scotland - so sue us.
    Keane - he will get booed by a religious minority, he will get booed by the gers fans because hes playing for celtic... so what? Irish fans bood Lovenkrands when he played for Denmark in Dublin. Aye...theres two sides to that coin there Bobby, and if you really want to press i think youll find theres equal idiocy on both sides.

As said a million times previously.

To be honest I think I can understand why Scottish people would dislike Celtic, I mean if there was a successful team in the LOI with a background based among Polish immigrants and whose fans flew almost exclusively Polish flags during massive European games despite representing Ireland I would bet not too many Irish fans of other LOI teams would be best pleased with them.

Charco wrote: »
    To be honest I think I can understand why Scottish people would dislike Celtic, I mean if there was a successful team in the LOI with a background based among Polish immigrants and whose fans flew almost exclusively Polish flags during massive European games despite representing Ireland I would bet not too many Irish fans of other LOI teams would be best pleased with them.

Well, for the most part its a religious thing mate - but there is a huge quantity of us who are not bigots, not sectarian, dont sing the songs that might offend and generally are accepting kinds of people, same as on the Celtic side. The problem is that the media focuses on Celtics seemingly spun image of being the Irish choice, they give them an identity as the hard done by's...you know? Whilst Rangers are given the persona of Tony Blair and Queen feckin Victoria.

The problem I personally have with Celtic fans back home is that a vast majority of them have never set foot on Irish soil yet wave the flags. A lot of them cant even claim irish heritage and at best, 5th generation. THATS what bugs. But hey like i say mate, theres equal idiocy.

In truth, most Scots who arent supporters of the old firm, detest both. They treat Celtic and Rangers as abominations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The problem I personally have with Celtic fans back home is that a vast majority of them have never set foot on Irish soil yet wave the flags. A lot of them cant even claim irish heritage and at best, 5th generation. THATS what bugs. But hey like i say mate, theres equal idiocy.

Im confused here, your saying that Celtic fans that are not Irish are not really Celtic fans and us Celtic fans from Ireland are constantly reminded that Celtic is infact a Scottish club and we have no bussiness supporting them, fcuk its amazing we have any fans at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bit it IS an issue, and saying it isnt doesnt make it go away.

I havent posted in a long time due to getting wound up at some of the tripe spouted by people who arent from Glasgow posting silly things in this thread. So let me reintroduce myself by tackling you on this post Dempsey.

I dont know you so I dont know if youre from Glasgow or whether or not you have spent a lot of time in Holland so lets assume both are true for a second regarding your reference to Ajax. I can attest to both..being from Hamilton which is arguably one o fthe worst places in the UK for football related violence and having spent a lot of time in holland due to family connections and I would like to point out an excrutiatingly obvious fact here mate - there are no problems in Holland with the Jewish community to the extent there is in Scotland regarding the divide between Protestant and Catholic communities. So that comparison is completely useless here.

Secondly, St Ledger going to Ajax and saying 'im jewish, always wanted to play for the ajax' wouldnt really be scrutinesed too much, whereas in Scotland - a country which has been trying for several decades to erradicate the ties between Religion and football, it is a downright IGNORANT thing to do. Not only is it stupid to be reinforcing ties between Celtic and catholic bias (and dont start with the 'there is no bias' because there is and always has been) at a time when we are trying to sever those ties in Scottish society, but it is also inflamatory to be saying daft things like that safe in the knowledge that every tabloid rag in Scotland will print it and only serve to reinforce the divide further. For reference see Gascoigne mimics flute playing on the sidelines & Lennon whines like a little catholic school girl to the papers everytime someone winks at him on the street for examples of non Scottish people doing stupid things which only serve to fuel the hatred. Playing up to fans makes some people laugh....it makes most of us puke in astonishment at the stupidity.

Sorry if i strike you like a bulldozer in a bull-free china shop but this topic really gets on my goat.

The ignorant thing is the people that still hold the link between Religion and Football. Why are you defending these people? They should be outcasted and not have everyone going around like they are stepping on egg shells.

No Ledger shouldnt be made to feel bad by declaring his religion, to do so is nothing other than appeasement to bigots. This is situation that has been driven from the very beginning by the protestant community and their reluctance to integrate and the bitterness back from the catholic community is a direct result of how they've been treated.

Irish have gone to many countries and this division hasnt happened. Even Jock Stein, a protestant took the piss out of the situation with
    "Jock, if there were two players, one Catholic and one Protestant. Who would you sign?"
    "The Protestant"
    "Why?"
    "Because I know that Rangers would never sign the Catholic"

Celtic didnt go down the road of bigoted signing policy, they didnt stoop to their level. You claim that its both sides at it in equal measure which is not true. Tit for tat maybe over the past decade maybe.

In truth, most Scots who arent supporters of the old firm, detest both. They treat Celtic and Rangers as abominations.

This I agree with alright, I have witnessed the contempt of Celtic in other SPL grounds than Ibrox and Im sure its the same for Rangers, familiarity breeds contempt oh and the success of both clubs will always mark them out as ''targets''.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The ignorant thing is the people that still hold the link between Religion and Football. Why are you defending these people? They should be outcasted and not have everyone going around like they are stepping on egg shells.

No Ledger shouldnt be made to feel bad by declaring his religion, to do so is nothing other than appeasement to bigots. This is situation that has been driven from the very beginning by the protestant community and their reluctance to integrate and the bitterness back from the catholic community is a direct result of how they've been treated.

Irish have gone to many countries and this division hasnt happened. Even Jock Stein, a protestant took the piss out of the situation with

Celtic didnt go down the road of bigoted signing policy, they didnt stoop to their level. You claim that its both sides at it in equal measure which is not true. Tit for tat maybe over the past decade maybe.

I notice in your little rant there you don't say how one of the Kelly's when in charge stated that if he could play an all RC team he would.
    You also don't mention that when the SFA took Celtic to task over flying the tricolour only one club in Scotland backed Celtic up on the matter can you guess who
    Really if you think what St Ledger said was acceptable I presume then if a Protestant player comes out and says I want to sign for Rangers because I am a Protestant you won't have a problem with this because I certainly will once again I will say not needed in this day and age

Im confused here, your saying that Celtic fans that are not Irish are not really Celtic fans and us Celtic fans from Ireland are constantly reminded that Celtic is infact a Scottish club and we have no bussiness supporting them, fcuk its amazing we have any fans at all!!

not what im saying at all mate.... what im trying to get at, and its a truth many will atest to, is that most of the people you will live amongst who support celtic will go right ahead and wave the flag of a country not their own. Thats all very well, but I dont see the sense in it. Secondly, with ragdrs to ROI celtic fans - the assertion is that a lot of you simply dont know a lot of the finer details. As an example...I could get into a huge argument with a celtic fan mate in a pub and at the end it would all be cool and a laugh over a pint and a game of pool because both of us know fine and well what its like growing up with that on your doorstep. In my experience - say...a Dubliner...will normally get far more wound up and in the past Ive had to simply back down and shut up simply because they cant understand that they dont know what theyre on about.

Thats sort of what i was trying to say mate...theres a hypocrisy that I cant understand and it exists on the blue side too with the whole Scottish, british thing. Always turns my stomach.

DEMPSEY - Im not defending ANYONE mate, i think religious bigotry is nothing but idiocy and ignorance. I also believe St Ledger was a fool to come out and, HIMSELF.....reinforce the ties between football and religion. How you managed to twist it round to me doing that and him not, ill never know.

• Advertisement

I notice in your little rant there you don't say how one of the Kelly's when in charge stated that if he could play an all RC team he would.
    You also don't mention that when the SFA took Celtic to task over flying the tricolour only one club in Scotland backed Celtic up on the matter can you guess who
    Really if you think what St Ledger said was acceptable I presume then if a Protestant player comes out and says I want to sign for Rangers because I am a Protestant you won't have a problem with this because I certainly will once again I will say not needed in this day and age

Its not a rant, are you upset?

If Rangers didnt have the bigoted signing policy then it wouldn't be an issue but since they did, people would have to question the player's motivate for saying it. Would you not agree?

Celtic are proud of their history, Rangers cant be.

not what im saying at all mate.... what im trying to get at, and its a truth many will atest to, is that most of the people you will live amongst who support celtic will go right ahead and wave the flag of a country not their own. Thats all very well, but I dont see the sense in it. Secondly, with ragdrs to ROI celtic fans - the assertion is that a lot of you simply dont know a lot of the finer details. As an example...I could get into a huge argument with a celtic fan mate in a pub and at the end it would all be cool and a laugh over a pint and a game of pool because both of us know fine and well what its like growing up with that on your doorstep. In my experience - say...a Dubliner...will normally get far more wound up and in the past Ive had to simply back down and shut up simply because they cant understand that they dont know what theyre on about.

Thats sort of what i was trying to say mate...theres a hypocrisy that I cant understand and it exists on the blue side too with the whole Scottish, british thing. Always turns my stomach.

Fair enough I partially misunderstood what you were saying but I dont really see the problem either with any Celtic fan whatever their nationality or religion waving a tri-colour, when it is a flag that is synonymous with Celtic for over 120 years. I dont think a scottish born Celtic fan waving a tri-colour makes him any less of a Scotish man and certainly doesnt make him any sort of a bigot.

I do see where your coming from but tbh theres far more wrong with both clubs that gets on my nerves than what flags are been waived, you must have been rightly piss*d off when the Celtic fans were waving palestinian flags recently?

If Rangers didnt have the bigoted signing policy then it wouldn't be an issue but since they did, people would have to question the player's motivate for saying it. Would you not agree?

holy jesus....sorry but here we go.

Listen mate, Rangers and Celtic supports are filled to the brim with bigots. Are you saying Celtic arent? The history you seem to think that Rangers arent proud of is just as old and beloved by most Rangers fans. The difficulty is that an ignorance to the REAL history (that of kings, Queens and religious persecution spanning 1000 years) is ignored by people like yourself who cant see further than the signing policy of Rangers.

St Ledgers comments are a problem because, and i say this again at pains because you obviously ignored everything i said before, BECAUSE scottish society is TRYING trying trying to get rid of that kind of association between religion and football. He reinforced it by making his comments and only served to keep that fire burning.

Being proud, and using common feckin sense are two entirely different things.

or do you actually, as impossible as i find this to believe, think that its all Rangers fault. Theres a problem....with Cathlicism....because....of the protestants? GOOD GOOD MAN!

Pretty sure if they won a European Cup with 11 Dublin based players enough people would get to like them!!

But they don't now so you have avoided a pertinent question and I have already given you my reasons behind my original post he said it and whether he meant to or not he has aligned himself with the bigots in Celtics support and gave the bigots in the Rangers support ammunition to abuse him. Surely its not difficult to see that.
    Now are you going to answer the question

Fair enough I partially misunderstood what you were saying but I dont really see the problem either with any Celtic fan whatever their nationality or religion waving a tri-colour, when it is a flag that is synonymous with Celtic for over 120 years. I dont think a scottish born Celtic fan waving a tri-colour makes him any less of a Scotish man and certainly doesnt make him any sort of a bigot.

I do see where your coming from but tbh theres far more wrong with both clubs that gets on my nerves than what flags are been waived, you must have been rightly piss*d off when the Celtic fans were waving palestinian flags recently?

Point taken and well made. You know, the Palestinian thing bothered me through its sheer ignorance mate. You have by and large a majority British support in Parkhead twice a month (i mean the celtic fans, not the opposition :) ), and yet they are dead set against British affairs. they sing up the ra, they sing Irish slogans.... so the whole Palestinian thing was more than just waving the flag of the club, say.... for me and everyone else, not just gers fans, that was blatant ignorance mixed with freshly squeezed hypocrisy. I mean, I can accept this guys ignorance, he did it because he is a simpleton and nothing more, but what riled me was that there are people who found it acceptable. Asif religion wasnt hard enough to detach...now we have to deal with Anti British politics?

Takes me back to when bouncers used to not let me into nightclubs because i had a British passport.

Pretty sure if they won a European Cup with 11 Dublin based players enough people would get to like them!!

thatd would never happen....some frenchie would pop up with two 'hands of god' and ruin it for yaes.

by the way... im not here to wind people up. Like EB and BBE im here simply because i enjoy the banter, friendly banter. I think its healthy for two sides to discuss the hard stuff from time to time, but im not going to try for arguments in here. Im not a bigot, im not a protestant, im not a thug gers fan - for anyone making judgements.

Well, for the most part its a religious thing mate -

I'm not sure if this is so, I mean does Dundee Utd or Hibs get the same abuse from other Scottish teams as Celtic? Both are Catholic and teams with an Irish background but neither push their Irishness any more unlike Celtic. I don't see them getting the same abuse as Celtic which would lead me to assume the dislike of Celtic is more due to the Irish aspect of Celtic than the Catholic, of course I'm not saying that that doesn't play a part also.

holy jesus....sorry but here we go.

Listen mate, Rangers and Celtic supports are filled to the brim with bigots. Are you saying Celtic arent? The history you seem to think that Rangers arent proud of is just as old and beloved by most Rangers fans. The difficulty is that an ignorance to the REAL history (that of kings, Queens and religious persecution spanning 1000 years) is ignored by people like yourself who cant see further than the signing policy of Rangers.

St Ledgers comments are a problem because, and i say this again at pains because you obviously ignored everything i said before, BECAUSE scottish society is TRYING trying trying to get rid of that kind of association between religion and football. He reinforced it by making his comments and only served to keep that fire burning.

Being proud, and using common feckin sense are two entirely different things.

or do you actually, as impossible as i find this to believe, think that its all Rangers fault. Theres a problem....with Cathlicism....because....of the protestants? GOOD GOOD MAN!

You have your opinion and I dont agree with it. Just because you havent posted in a while and are from Hamilton you think that everyone should take your opinion as gospel!

Celtic are "full to the brim" with bigots? Evidence to support that widesweeping nonsense please

None of the bigotry in Scotland was caused by one of the biggest clubs having an open bigoted signing policy which has a direct influence on how their fans behave and think? They dragged out this way of thinking for decades longer.

Scottish Society doesnt have to get rid of the association of religion and football, they just have to tackle the sectarianism and bigoted element of it.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if this is so, I mean does Dundee Utd or Hibs get the same abuse from other Scottish teams as Celtic? Both are Catholic and teams with an Irish background but neither push their Irishness any more unlike Celtic. I don't see them getting the same abuse as Celtic which would lead me to assume the dislike of Celtic is more due to the Irish aspect of Celtic than the Catholic, of course I'm not saying that that doesn't play a part also.

No but then they dont have the numbers that Rangers and Celtic do mate. Its simple numbers. They arent 'the rivals' as such. You look at Hearts and Hibs - they despise each other just as Rangers and Celtic fans do. Hibs get a hard time from us but nowhere to the same extent Celtic fans do.

Rivalry mate.

You have your opinion and I dont agree with it.

Celtic are full to the brim with bigots? Evidence to support that widesweeping nonsense please

None of the bigotry was caused by one of the biggest clubs having an open bigoted signing policy which has a direct influence on how their fans behave and think? They dragged out this way of thinking for decades longer.

Scottish Society doesnt have to get rid of the association of religion and football, they just have to tackle the sectarianism and bigoted element of it.

the association between religion and football is dangerous and has always been a source of more violence than mere rivalry. If you dont believe this needs erradication, you need to take your head out your hole.

next up - evidence of the bigotry rivaling the rangers support? ...oh i dont know mate...being raised in Hamilton and around Glasgow. Call it experience.

To certain extent I agree with you but it tends to be more complicated that one thing or the other. For example at the cup game against Dunfermline at the weekend we had a whole repertoire of Ira chants and songs ie "go home British soldiers go home" now I though there was a peace process in place and granted I can guarantee lots of Celtic fans were disgusted and if the shoe had been on the other foot and Rangers fans were singing certain songs I would have been disgusted as well. Unfortunately we both have groups of fans who live in a bubble and will never stop this type of behavior but I believe it should be highlighted no matter what set of fans are stooping to this level

To certain extent I agree with you but it tends to be more complicated that one thing or the other. For example at the cup game against Dunfermline at the weekend we had a whole repertoire of Ira chants and songs ie "go home British soldiers go home" now I though there was a peace process in place and granted I can guarantee lots of Celtic fans were disgusted and if the shoe had been on the other foot and Rangers fans were singing certain songs I would have been disgusted as well. Unfortunately we both have groups of fans who live in a bubble and will never stop this type of behavior but I believe it should be highlighted no matter what set of fans are stooping to this level

exactly. both sets have their idiots and theres a lot of us who dont like to hear the nonsense being spouted on either side. Unfortunately people like Dempsey still exist who seem to believe there are no bigots in Celtics ranks, that theyre wholesome and honest and non hateful and that its the Rangers fans who are the source of the problems and that religion being associated to football is alright as long as its catholicism.

Fool.

Dempsey have you ever actually lived in Scotland mate or are you just another Irishman who hasnt had the privelege of being balanced with the opposition in life? I cant imagine you ever having experienced the facts of the matter, the way you go on.

the association between religion and football is dangerous and has always been a source of more violence than mere rivalry. If you dont believe this needs erradication, you need to take your head out your hole.

next up - evidence of the bigotry rivaling the rangers support? ...oh i dont know mate...being raised in Hamilton and around Glasgow. Call it experience.

You clearly cant have an argument without widesweeping nonsence and putting words in peoples mouths to make your points. How about you go back to the rock you were under?

You clearly cant have an argument without widesweeping nonsence and putting words in peoples mouths to make your points. How about you go back to the rock you were under?

and now i remember why, when i came back after 2 years absence, you were on my ignore list.

speak sense man, or dont speak at all. what point are you even trying to make? did you read at all before posting?

• Advertisement

Are you ever going to give a straight answer to this question

and now i remember why, when i came back after 2 years absence, you were on my ignore list.

speak sense man, or dont speak at all. what point are you even trying to make? did you read at all before posting?

2 years ago? Was I even posting regularly to Celtic threads on this forum? Put me back on it if you like, I dont care for your opinion.

You come half way into a discussion and ask me to make my point?? How about you go back to page 1 and post back when you are up to speed :p
    Are you ever going to give a straight answer to this question

I did give a straight answer, twice

2 years ago? Was I even posting regularly to Celtic threads on this forum? Put me back on it if you like, I dont care for your opinion.

You come half way into a discussion and ask me to make my point?? How about you go back to page 1 and post back when you are up to speed :p

I did give a straight answer, twice

No you didn't you rambled on about Rangers sectarian signing policy. That is in the past the question is relevant to now not the past

yeah dempsey you were. and you didnt give decent responses back then either, you generally popped in and trolled if memory serves me...doing things like proclaiming other peoples nonsensical answers and telling them to crawl back under rocks etc, whilst adhering to the stereotype we have all come to know and love

No you didn't you rambled on about Rangers sectarian signing policy. That is in the past the question is relevant to now not the past

The whole reason you are groaning about St. Ledgers comments is because of history of sectarian and bigoted incidents between the two clubs. Are you not??

• Advertisement

yeah dempsey you were. and you didnt give decent responses back then either, you generally popped in and trolled if memory serves me...doing things like proclaiming other peoples nonsensical answers and telling them to crawl back under rocks etc, whilst adhering to the stereotype we have all come to know and love

What stereotype is that now odonnell??

52 League Titles
    33 Scottish Cups
    25 League Cups.

110 Domestic Trophies.

Oh Yes We Can! ;)

The whole reason you are groaning about St. Ledgers comments is because of history of sectarian and bigoted incidents between the two clubs. Are you not??

The whole reason I made the post about St Ledger's comments were to do with the fact that they are not need on either side in this day and age as I have already explained you seem only to be reading the bits you want to.

Eirebear wrote: »
    52 League Titles
    33 Scottish Cups
    25 League Cups.

110 Domestic Trophies.

Oh Yes We Can! ;)

:pac:
    The whole reason I made the post about St Ledger's comments were to do with the fact that they are not need on either side in this day and age as I have already explained you seem only to be reading the bits you want to.

I could say the same about you.

My point is that the negative reaction to his statement drives the problem more than the comment itself. Its a harmless statement. In this day and age, its still getting a reaction with rangers supporters posting in a Celtic thread to voice their disapproval of a Irishman declaring his religion as a reason for him wanting to join Celtic. You not see any problem with that??

Yea some people will have a severe reaction to his comments but thats their problem, not Ledger's.

:pac:

I could say the same about you.

My point is that the negative reaction to his statement drives the problem more than the comment itself. Its a harmless statement. In this day and age, its still getting a reaction with rangers supporters posting in a Celtic thread to voice their disapproval of a Irishman declaring his religion as a reason for him wanting to join Celtic. You not see any problem with that??

Yea some people will have a severe reaction to his comments but thats their problem, not Ledger's.

Oh Dear you just don't get it do you its exactly in this day and age that those comments are not needed while most people are moving on these comments play up to the bigots on each side what is so terrible about me saying that.

I notice you are still avoiding the question.

Oh as an aside have you ever been to an OF game

well....listen, he will be no different to all others who have failed miserably to distinguish between it being ok to be proud and it being dumb to trumpet it in a country where both sides need no excuse to be violent. He will probably be singled out, abused and probably attacked by thugs and then he will go to the papers and say the same things Lennon did.

And thus, the merry go round continues, and thick people will continue to make assertions that the problem isnt with someone trumpeting their religion in a religiously divided environment...but with those on the other side.

Dempsey - stick to irish or english football mate. Youd only get into huge trouble where im from with your complete and utter ignorance. Thanks for reaffirming for me that the cretins are alive and well and as blind as ever.

How i wish eirebhoy were still here...along with Paul he was brilliant at holding a decent unbias conversation.

Oh Dear you just don't get it do you its exactly in this day and age that those comments are not needed while most people are moving on these comments play up to the bigots on each side what is so terrible about me saying that.

I notice you are still avoiding the question.

Oh as an aside have you ever been to an OF game

So, the bigots arent the problem, just the people exciting them?? Be careful and dont say anything that would give a reason for them to act the fool! You forget who is problem in this scenario. Joining a club based on his background shouldnt cause concern, shouldn't get this reaction. The people that should be frowned are the people still reacting badly. Tolerance of other people's view is what needs to happen not treating this like the elephant in the room where nobody expresses their personal view thinking they've eradicated the problem.

Yes, I have been to an Old Firm match btw

So, the bigots arent the problem, just the people exciting them?? Be careful and dont say anything that would give a reason for them to act the fool! You forget who is problem in this scenario. Joining a club based on his background shouldnt cause concern, shouldn't get this reaction. The people that should be frowned are the people still reacting badly. Tolerance of other people's view is what needs to happen not treating this like the elephant in the room where nobody expresses their personal view thinking they've eradicated the problem.

Yes, I have been to an Old Firm match btw

Where did I say the bigots weren't the problem ???

Listen it's time to move on I cannot be bothered with a person who cannot give a simple yes or no answer to a question that only required just that

Dempsey - stick to irish or english football mate. Youd only get into huge trouble where im from with your complete and utter ignorance. Thanks for reaffirming for me that the cretins are alive and well and as blind as ever.

No, I'll continue to support Celtic, I'll continue to go to Celtic matches. Did I ask for you approval?? I've never had problems with Rangers supporters or any other supporters for that matter. Get off your high horse

Aaaaaannnnnnnyway!

I think theres some fitba' on tonight? Tough games for both teams to be honest, Rangers havnt won at Fir Park since the return of Walter, and theyre on cracking form under Craig Brown at the minute.

I cant see Celtic losing points tonight, theyve got a point to prove infront of their own fans, although the defence is still decidedly dodgy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement