Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Brewster wrote: »
    Wouldn't quite go that far Bobby! The board have done a pretty decent job to be fair. Much better than than across city. They have made two big errors, not backing Strachan more in Jan 2009 and this recent refereeing fiasco. I do not believe they actively tried to recruit in 09, I believe they thought title was in bag following victory over Rangers. They have a huge decision to make now, do they stick with Mowbray or do they cut their losses and bring a new man in? I am very gracious towards other posters, especially when the make comments I agree with! Happy to acknowledge this as recent post by bMcgov would testify. Once people are fair to me, you won't have any problems with me.

Dont really think they have any choice but to stick with Mowbray now considering the financial backing they gave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Dont really think they have any choice but to stick with Mowbray now considering the financial backing they gave him.

yeah fair comment. Although, I think Paulo made a good point, that net spend may only be a couple of million when sales of players are taken into account. I think they should give him to end of season and review things then. They would have to someone lined up before getting rid of him.

My own view is that he is not good enough to be manager of Celtic. I would not trust him to sort defence out. Simple as that Im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

you constantly try and portray yourself as some sort of downtrodden fella on here and you constantly refuse to give folks credit for their posts...

Oooohhhh the sweet taste of irony! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

yeah fair comment. Although, I think Paulo made a good point, that net spend may only be a couple of million when sales of players are taken into account. I think they should give him to end of season and review things then. They would have to someone lined up before getting rid of him.

My own view is that he is not good enough to be manager of Celtic. I would not trust him to sort defence out. Simple as that Im afraid.

No doubt if he doesnt win the Cup he will be under alot of pressure and the Celtic fans can be very hard to win over once you get off to a bad start, as stupid as it may sound alot of the Celtic fans who disliked Strachan were against him after the Artmedia disaster and stayed against him all the way through even though he eventually got Celtic to the last 16 twice.

For the record I was against Strachan aswell but not for that reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Some good points there. The rest of this season is about whether Mowbray can keep his job imo. He needs to end up with the gap narrower than the current 10 point (or potential 13) and the Scottish Cup in the bag I reckon. He does both of those things - he'll keep his job. He fails, bye bye.

All we can hope for now is that they use the remainder of the season to improve and dramatically. No pressure now as regards the league, so let's see Mowbray try to get a regular team together and playing like a team. This is the preparation for next season now, it has to be looked at like that.

I have a feeling we'll beat Falkirk well on Sunday, 0-3 to the Hoops. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Even if celtic dont win the cup Mowbray will still keep his job (so long as we finish second!)

I'm very disappointed with Mowbray this season. Havent been convinced at all but he has to be givin time and its all about next season now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_050310112835.aspx
    Further to erroneous reports in today's press, Celtic Football Club can confirm that it did not make any official complaint about the Falkirk pitch and did not ask for any pitch investigation or inspection.

This is supported by a Scottish Premier League statement which reads: “We keep an eye on all our pitches and monitor them over the course of the season through our delegate reports.

“The weather has had an impact on pitches up and down the country, but as things stand all our games are good to go for this weekend.”

Paranoia....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dempsey wrote: »
    I can understand if it was just the Record but BBC picked it up as did others

Paranoia

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

What a feckin' joke. Celtic now having to explain what they didn't do as well as what they did.

As for the BBC, they pick up half their stories from the rags.

People just looking for a stick to bash Celtic with at the moment... it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    What a feckin' joke. Celtic now having to explain what they didn't do as well as what they did.

As for the BBC, they pick up half their stories from the rags.

People just looking for a stick to bash Celtic with at the moment... it's ridiculous.

Maybe if they didn't bring it on themselves people wouldn't bash them. Lets face it Mowbray is now saying Brown not getting his red card rescinded could be seen as political really the whinging has to stop

Maybe if they didn't bring it on themselves people wouldn't bash them. Lets face it Mowbray is now saying Brown not getting his red card rescinded could be seen as political really the whinging has to stop

Enough. They didn't make any complaint. So you think now that it's ok for papers to print lies about Celtic 'cause they brought it about themselves?

I'm getting pretty tired of this whole debate tbh. It's getting ridiculous when you're whinging about Celtic whinging about the pitch, when they didn't actually whinge.

If people thought Celtic looked daft for appealing a red card, how daft do people who jumped on the Falkirk pitch bandwagon look now?

Enough. They didn't make any complaint. So you think now that it's ok for papers to print lies about Celtic 'cause they brought it about themselves?

I'm getting pretty tired of this whole debate tbh. It's getting ridiculous when you're whinging about Celtic whinging about the pitch, when they didn't actually whinge.

If people thought Celtic looked daft for appealing a red card, how daft do people who jumped on the Falkirk pitch bandwagon look now?

Don't think I ever said they were daft for appealing Broons red.
    Fair enough we will move on but all this enough stuff because you don't like the argument remember that when its the other way round mate

Now lets move on

Don't think I ever said they were daft for appealing Broons red.
    Fair enough we will move on but all this enough stuff because you don't like the argument remember that when its the other way round mate

Now lets move on

Believe me if I were posting like you do here in a Rangers thread, I think I'd have stopped a long time ago.

BBE you've been talking about Celtic whinging for the best part of a week now. The Falkirk thing just made it a farce.

Obviously anyone can post here, but it is a Celtic thread after all, the constant sniping is getting tiring, and had this been one of the EPL threads, I think you and I both know where you'd have been told to go a long time ago.

Believe me if I were posting like you do here in a Rangers thread, I think I'd have stopped a long time ago.

BBE you've been talking about Celtic whinging for the best part of a week now. The Falkirk thing just made it a farce.

Obviously anyone can post here, but it is a Celtic thread after all, the constant sniping is getting tiring, and had this been one of the EPL threads, I think you and I both know where you'd have been told to go a long time ago.

Sorry Paul I didn't realise criticism of Celtic was not allowed if thats the case you must really be annoyed with what O'Dea has said then :p

Sorry Paul I didn't realise criticism of Celtic was not allowed if thats the case you must really be annoyed with what O'Dea has said then :p

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

O'Dea refuses to get carried away amid Celtic storm
    LIKE fallout from a nuclear reactor meltdown, the consequences of Scott Brown's dismissal in last Sunday's Old Firm game -- he was sent-off for violent play after pushing his head into Kyle Lafferty's chest -- and the rejection of the club's appeal against his red card continue to darken the skies over Celtic.

Tony Mowbray weighed in with the suggestion that referee Dougie McDonald -- who had veto rights over Celtic's appeal -- may have been influenced by a desire not to acknowledge a wrong inflicted on the Parkhead club after equally debatable decisions in the two previous Glasgow derbies this season.

Asked how he thought McDonald had come to his decision to reject the appeal "on the basis that the referee was content with his own judgment" the Celtic manager said: "The political landscape is the last two Old Firm games in which there were two big decisions didn't go our way."

Mowbray, though, again distanced himself from comments made on the club's website and its print mouthpiece, the 'Celtic View', which at times during the debate have been indistinguishable from the unmediated output of fanzine and internet message boards. The 'Celtic View' this week carries a full page bearing a picture of the Brown-Lafferty incident above the stark caption: "That's why we're paranoid."

Asked his attitude to such examples of playing to the gallery, Mowbray replied: "The club sometimes have, not a different view but a stronger view, than I might have. I don't want to get in to a conflict but I like to think I'm not a paranoid guy.

"I'd like to think I'm a balanced individual. I look at the reasons and at what went on. I look for fairness, basically. If I could think, 'I can half-see what the referee is thinking but I don't agree with it', then fine but having watched it I can't come to that conclusion.

"It's not about me moaning about it -- although it appears that I am; it's about getting to a system that works."

In notable contrast to the more flammable views being touted at the club was the opinion of Darren O'Dea, who is likely to wear the captain's armband for tomorrow's visit to Falkirk.

Invited to express his view of the prevailing opinion among the Celtic support that decisions are stacked against the club, the Irish defender replied: "We're obviously going to say that, aren't we?

"I could name three or four decisions that have gone against us this year, but I'm sure if you go over to Rangers they would tell you decisions that have gone against them -- so can any SPL team. Too many big games are being decided by bad decisions.

"The standard of refereeing isn't getting worse. TV is getting better. To be honest, I'm just sick of hearing about referees. It's a game of football.

"I don't believe for a second that referees go out to influence games for either teams but they are making mistakes -- and everyone's making mistakes, not just one referee and not just in Scotland. It's in England, in Spain, elsewhere.

He added: "There's no agenda there. They need help -- what, I don't know, but it needs to be addressed. When we're watching TV clips we watch them back four or five times but the referee has to make a split-second decision." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

--
    There you go Paul :P

I just watched O'Dea's bit on the BBC website. Don't see what you're getting at tbh. Did you think a player who was not involved in the incident would come on giving it loads about the ref?

Anyway I'm bored ****less at this stage. I really am not going to discuss the ref stuff anymore. :)

I just watched O'Dea's bit on the BBC website. Don't see what you're getting at tbh. Did you think a player who was not involved in the incident would come on giving it loads about the ref?

Anyway I'm bored ****less at this stage. I really am not going to discuss the ref stuff anymore. :)

So am I Paul :)

Well a much needed win today. Two good goals from Keane, Rasmussen looks decent when he's played, please Mowbray keep playing him. Crosas and N'Guemo are also a decent partnership, hopefully Mowbray uses the rest of the season to figure out his preferred team.

Still very dodgy at the back though, young Thompson looks like he'll be useful but definitely lacks experience.

Far from a comfortable win - had that guy Lima been any sort of finisher, we could have been looking at dropped points again this season v Falkirk. Must have had three decent chances he fluffed.

Samaras just not cutting it as far as I'm concerned - didn't offer much today.

Full marks to Boruc again, another great performance to keep a clean sheet.

Samaras lacks consistency and tenacity, he looks absolutely useless when his head isnt in the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Eirebear wrote: »
    Oooohhhh the sweet taste of irony! :p

Care to elaborate?

Well a much needed win today. Two good goals from Keane, Rasmussen looks decent when he's played, please Mowbray keep playing him. Crosas and N'Guemo are also a decent partnership, hopefully Mowbray uses the rest of the season to figure out his preferred team.

Still very dodgy at the back though, young Thompson looks like he'll be useful but definitely lacks experience.

Far from a comfortable win - had that guy Lima been any sort of finisher, we could have been looking at dropped points again this season v Falkirk. Must have had three decent chances he fluffed.

Samaras just not cutting it as far as I'm concerned - didn't offer much today.

Full marks to Boruc again, another great performance to keep a clean sheet.

Watched game, I was very impressed with Rasmussen. I thought he looked a very clever player who wasnt afraid to get his head up and look at his options. I think he is a better bet than Fortune to be honest lads. Fortune is the exact opposite who NEVER gets his head up. He linked very well with Keane and I think this should be Celtic's attack for rest of season.

As for Samaras, what is left to be said about glorious George? What a waste of a jersey.

McGeady poor, crossing from byline appalling yet again lads. You have this guy way way over hyped, I know you don't like me saying this but based on the evidence I see from him this is only conclusion I can come too. McGeady started the season well, but hasn't kicked a ball in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Can somone open a Dignity FC thread so they leave this one in peace? Seriously?

McGeady poor, crossing from byline appalling yet again lads. You have this guy way way over hyped, I know you don't like me saying this but based on the evidence I see from him this is only conclusion I can come too. McGeady started the season well, but hasn't kicked a ball in 2010.

My main criticism of McGeady at the moment is the fact he doesn't pass early enough. So many times - and it happened a few times in yesterday's game - he holds onto the ball too long, ends up with 3 players on him, and one of them nicks it. He needs to learn to have picked out a pass and when he has the ball with 2 players on him, pick out the pass at that point, not when he's crowded out.

Very frustrating as he's a talented player otherswise.

My main criticism of McGeady at the moment is the fact he doesn't pass early enough. So many times - and it happened a few times in yesterday's game - he holds onto the ball too long, ends up with 3 players on him, and one of them nicks it. He needs to learn to have picked out a pass and when he has the ball with 2 players on him, pick out the pass at that point, not when he's crowded out.

Very frustrating as he's a talented player otherswise.

Yeah, he seems to want to do too much with the ball. On occasions though he did get to byline, but the cross was very poor and was easily intercepted by defending team. This is down to a lack of awareness of his teamates I suspect, much like you say Paul. He needs to get his head up. Perhaps the communication or calls from his team mates could be better? Who knows.. He is going through a very bad spell, coaching team need to get his spirits up and get the lad coached better. Surely the coaching team must work on it. He has an ability on the ball you can't coach, its natural talent, yet the bits of his game that you can coach are missing if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, he seems to want to do too much with the ball. On occasions though he did get to byline, but the cross was very poor and was easily intercepted by defending team. This is down to a lack of awareness of his teamates I suspect, much like you say Paul. He needs to get his head up. Perhaps the communication or calls from his team mates could be better? Who knows.. He is going through a very bad spell, coaching team need to get his spirits up and get the lad coached better. Surely the coaching team must work on it. He has an ability on the ball you can't coach, its natural talent, yet the bits of his game that you can coach are missing if that makes sense.

Just don't get why they don't develop some sort of personal plan for him to improve his crossing and shooting. He should be spending HOURS every day improving.

However, I don't think either are as bad as are made out, I think he has the most amount of shots on target in the SPL and that includes KKKris Boyd. Also his assists are always up there at the top of the SPL charts as well.

Just don't get why they don't develop some sort of personal plan for him to improve his crossing and shooting. He should be spending HOURS every day improving.

However, I don't think either are as bad as are made out, I think he has the most amount of shots on target in the SPL and that includes KKKris Boyd. Also his assists are always up there at the top of the SPL charts as well.

Its a poor league Bobby, someone with McGeady's natural talent should be right up there on stats table for assists and shots. He doesn't score enough goals and get enough crosses in to the right areas, that is the long and short of it IMHO.

As I say, crossing can be coached, and his end product hasn't improved in recent seasons which is very disappointing for Celtic and Ireland.

Must win game for Celtic tomorrow or Mowbray will really be under pressure.

Its a poor league Bobby, someone with McGeady's natural talent should be right up there on stats table for assists and shots. He doesn't score enough goals and get enough crosses in to the right areas, that is the long and short of it IMHO.

As I say, crossing can be coached, and his end product hasn't improved in recent seasons which is very disappointing for Celtic and Ireland.

Must win game for Celtic tomorrow or Mowbray will really be under pressure.

He's under severe pressure already.

Can't see how he can be at the helm next year... not because of his results but because he seems to not have a clue what he's doing. Some of his substitutions are bizarre... finishing games with 4 lads playing up front.

Any team that plays 5 in midfield will have a field day against us as he doesn't seem to grasp the idea that if you're being over run in midfield then your strikers aren't getting the supply.

Spot on, no point in having quality strikers if you can't get decent ball to them. Celtic are top heavy with strikers just now, and are lacking quality midfielders basically. I would not have any confidence in Mowbray in long term. I don't think he is a strong enough character for pressures of Celtic job, some of his quotes in the papers this morning were just plain stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Good result for Celtic today. Really was a game of two halves. First half was Celtic looking slightly poorer than usual actual, which is saying something. I was expecting another frustrating game from them, but the 2nd half was perhaps the best 45 minutes I have seen from Celtic this season.

Top class positioning from Keane along with some very good play leading up the goals. I have been a critic of McGeady this season but he did look good today, even Samaras looked useful today :eek:. Very unselfish play from Fortune, providing two goals for Keane when others might well have been tempted to take a shot.

On the negative side, Rasmussen was very lucky not to have recieved a red in the 1st half, Scott Brown looked poor and was perhaps had the worst performance of the team today, and the defence is still not giving me any real confidence.

Good result for Celtic today. Really was a game of two halves. First half was Celtic looking slightly poorer than usual actual, which is saying something. I was expecting another frustrating game from them, but the 2nd half was perhaps the best 45 minutes I have seen from Celtic this season.

Top class positioning from Keane along with some very good play leading up the goals. I have been a critic of McGeady this season but he did look good today, even Samaras looked useful today :eek:. Very unselfish play from Fortune, providing two goals for Keane when others might well have been tempted to take a shot.

On the negative side, Rasmussen was very lucky not to have recieved a red in the 1st half, Scott Brown looked poor and was perhaps had the worst performance of the team today, and the defence is still not giving me any real confidence.

Agreed, Rasmussen should be fined by the club imo, its not acceptable

The referee missed Clancy's stamp aswell, the assistant referee on that side of the field was how far away and he didnt see it either. The level of refereeing in the SPL is very poor.

The problem with Samaras and McGeady is that they wont perform like that for long, they'll be back to playing piss poor when the big matches need to be won.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The referee missed Clancy's stamp aswell, the assistant referee on that side of the field was how far away and he didnt see it either. The level of refereeing in the SPL is very poor.

He also missed a Celtic corner in the first half and the ref had to overrule his goal kick decision. That assistant ref was abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

2nd half was excellent

the linesman was feet away from this yet missed it, Rasmussen was lucky that it did not cause major damage. Had a sly elbow at one of the Killie players, not sure how much connection there was

597.jpg
    Pic courtesy of Peelmaster from The Huddleboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Have to say i would persevere with Mowbray he is making wholesale changes in the playing staff and must have agreed this strategy when he was appointed so would find it strange if the board sack him,and can i say congrats to ross county who totally deserved the draw today and should probably have won at Easter Road, i just hope we win the replay at there place and get us one step closer to breaking a 108 year hoodoo.

1967 wrote: »
    Have to say i would persevere with Mowbray he is making wholesale changes in the playing staff and must have agreed this strategy when he was appointed so would find it strange if the board sack him,and can i say congrats to ross county who totally deserved the draw today and should probably have won at Easter Road, i just hope we win the replay at there place and get us one step closer to breaking a 108 year hoodoo.

I think I can safely say that this is the first time I've conversed with a Ross County fan!

You from that neck of the woods mate?

I think I can safely say that this is the first time I've conversed with a Ross County fan!

I have a funny feeling you can't say it as safely as you might have thought :p.

Hibs fan!

He's a Hibs fan Bob. :D

• Advertisement

Celtic to play winners of Hibs and Ross County in cup semi:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Celtic to play winners of Hibs and Ross County in cup semi:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

As Hibs fan I was hoping avoid old firm till final but we had very easy draw so far.

We making hard work beating Ross County its going be tough now for us

Wouldn't be the first time that a poster on this forum has been labelled a supporter of a team he doesn't actually support!!! :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Anybody know if Celtic have any friendly games or anything else planned in Bristol this week? I was on a flight from Glasgow to Bristol this morning and a few of the first team squad were on the flight

Anybody know if Celtic have any friendly games or anything else planned in Bristol this week? I was on a flight from Glasgow to Bristol this morning and a few of the first team squad were on the flight

They all going down to Paul Hartley's House for Paddies Day! :pac:

Rangers really struggling against Utd at Tannadice, strange line up leaving Miller and Boyd both on the bench in favour of Fleck and Little.
    United had a good penalty call in the first half too.

0-0 HT

Celtic losing 1-0 to St Mirren at HT

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Rangers really struggling against Utd at Tannadice, strange line up leaving Miller and Boyd both on the bench in favour of Fleck and Little.
    United had a good penalty call in the first half too.

0-0 HT

Celtic losing 1-0 to St Mirren at HT

Meh. Not surprising in the slightest - anyone can beat Celtic at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Meh. Not surprising in the slightest - anyone can beat Celtic at the moment.

St Mirren two up now

St Mirren two up now

Bye bye Tony. He'll just have to go. Is this worse than Barnes?

Embarassing is an under-statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Finishing second might yet be an achievement.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Finishing second might yet be an achievement.

If it wasnt for Hibs absolutely shocking form in the last couple of months i reckon Celtic would be sitting thrid as we speak to be honest.
    2nd should be fairly safe now though.

Still 0-0 at Tannadice, Rangers getting the better of it after an Utd had the better first half.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement