Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh, well its 1 nill anyways, McGeady. According to SS we are all over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

allybhoy wrote: »
    Yeh, well its 1 nill anyways, McGeady. According to SS we are all over them.

2 now, McGeady again! :D

3 now! McDonald! :D:D

Feck, feckity feck feck, want to watch the game! :(
    What yis reckon lads, whip off Scotty and wee lad at half time and save them for the mid week game?

Scotty off for Samaras, its now 3-1, got a stream just in time for the Aberdeen goal and what a goal it was.

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch1.html

allybhoy wrote: »
    Feck, feckity feck feck, want to watch the game! :(
    What yis reckon lads, whip off Scotty and wee lad at half time and save them for the mid week game?

Scotty off for Samaras, its now 3-1, got a stream just in time for the Aberdeen goal and what a goal it was.

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch1.html

what browser are you using? that stream crashes both firefox and IE on me

draffodx wrote: »
    what browser are you using? that stream crashes both firefox and IE on me

IE8, works fine for me m8

Well its all over, 3-1, decent performance and result, although in fairness game was done and dusted after 1st half. Now for the gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Happy with that, nice 2nd goal from McGeady. Looking forward to Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

good start for the Bhoys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Great start, nice to see McGeady grab a couple. Hopefully we see plenty more of that from him this season - for club and country, we all know he's capable of it.
    Looking forward to Tuesday!

I was as well, until I heard about this: :eek:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8199120.stm

Hopefully Hull's interest in Hinkel won't have the same effect on him as Lescott's interest in City seemed to have on him today. ;)

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    I was as well, until I heard about this: :eek:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8199120.stm

True but we beat Aberdeen 3-1! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic should be looking at 4-5million for Hinkel if they let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Badabing wrote: »
    Celtic should be looking at 4-5million for Hinkel if they let him go.

Hinkel is not worth 4-5m. Doubt even the majority of Celtic fans would believe this.... He is too slow to be rated in this bracket

Brewster wrote: »
    Hinkel is not worth 4-5m. Doubt even the majority of Celtic fans would believe this.... He is too slow to be rated in this bracket

He cost 2.9 million and has been very consistent in the last year or so, a bid of 4million would do it i think.

He cost 2.9 million and has been very consistent in the last year or so, a bid of 4million would do it i think.

2.9m pounds? Not sure it was that high, would have thought he signed closer to 1.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

According to that factual website wikipedia - Hinkel signed for 1.9M, but the sources make no statememt about the price paid. If hull are interested I reckon we could get 3.5m.

Of more concern for me is the news that Harry Redknapp is snooping around Scott Brown and may make an offer after the Arsenal ties. With 10m being the reported fee and having signed him for 4.5m - I hope the club dont put profit first this time round.

edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8204371.stm

According to that factual website wikipedia - Hinkel signed for 1.9M, but the sources make no statememt about the price paid. If hull are interested I reckon we could get 3.5m.

Of more concern for me is the news that Harry Redknapp is snooping around Scott Brown and may make an offer after the Arsenal ties. With 10m being the reported fee and having signed him for 4.5m - I hope the club dont put profit first this time round.

edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8204371.stm

It Spurs bid 10m for Brown, only a fool would refuse that sort of money. Celtic cant afford to turn down that sort of money, profit of 5.6m on him in a few years??

Absolutely, Celtic should take the money if Spurs offer 10m

Have a read of this from this morning Glasgow Herald

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2525796.0.Could_speculation_help_accumulation.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Having an absolutely crap Rangers team wouldn't benefit Celtic imo. I'd want Celtic out of the SPL asap if they had no competition for the league title.

I care about the reputation of the SPL and I want to see it being as strong as possible. If Celtic moved to the premiership then Rangers can go bust for all I care but as long as they're playing in Scotland competition is important.

Probably where we differ mate - I don't really care about the standard of the SPL, I just want Celtic to do well, don't care whatsoever about the rest.

• Advertisement

Bobby, thanks for response. You make some valid points. Clearly Rangers earning CL money this year will not benefit Celtic. However, this really is not the issue and you have to take a pragmatic approach to this. Rangers ARE in the CL group stages and are going to make the majority of the money, regardless of whether they win, lose or draw each game. Most income will come from Uefa Tv money and gate receipts.

The facts of the matter are, Rangers having a good run will benefit Celtic. Of this there is no question, and vice versa as I have pointed out. The key point here is the necessity of having to play CL qualifers. If Scottish football continues to fall down rankings, Celtic and Rangers will have to qualify regardless of who wins league. This will make it harder to get into CL group stages to improve co-efficient. The Europa league and the points available for it are much less than CL. Its a vicious cycle the clubs could find themselves in.

Even assuming Celtic were to win league every season for next 5, probably unlikely all things being equal, they may rarely feature in CL group stages because of co-efficient situation. Celtic will not be seeded in draw in all likelihood and will face the prospect of playing a big gun such as Arsenal etc.

Its just another example of how Celtic and Rangers need each other as Eire_Bhoy has pointed out. A move to the premiership would of course change this, however this is unlikely to happen. This is year both OF clubs really need to get behind each other and hope for good runs in Europe for each other. Otherwise, glamour night at Celtic Park and Ibrox will sadly be a thing of the past IMHO, and regretably so. Unfortunately this wont happen for a large number of OF fans, its certainly food for thought though.

I fully understand the point you are making but I fundamentally disagree with you.

The state that Rangers FC are in financially at the moment is verging on being utterly broke. Celtic handed them a lifeline by not winning the title last year, in essence we gifted them more than £10m, that is money that they desperately need. They are on record as saying that they will have a squad of only 20 players this year - that is nowhere near ebnough to sustain a campaign in either Europe or the SPL and I will bet anyone that Celtic will canter the league this year when injuries/suspensions take their toll.

I cannot think of a situation where I would want Rangers to win a game. The only way that I think that might be possible if it directly benefits Celtic, not in a roundabout co-efficient whataboutary way but in a real identifiable tangible way. Every win in Europe is worth a couple of million to Rangers - in order to want them to win Celtic would want to be receiving far more DIRECT benefit than that win gives Rangers.

If Hutton is worth £8m for playing well for 4 months then Hinkel is worth more than that.

Hinkel is an excellent fullback and has been back in the German squad the last while. At £4m he would be a snip, no way would he be let go for that amount.

I fully understand the point you are making but I fundamentally disagree with you.

The state that Rangers FC are in financially at the moment is verging on being utterly broke. Celtic handed them a lifeline by not winning the title last year, in essence we gifted them more than £10m, that is money that they desperately need. They are on record as saying that they will have a squad of only 20 players this year - that is nowhere near ebnough to sustain a campaign in either Europe or the SPL and I will bet anyone that Celtic will canter the league this year when injuries/suspensions take their toll.

I cannot think of a situation where I would want Rangers to win a game. The only way that I think that might be possible if it directly benefits Celtic, not in a roundabout co-efficient whataboutary way but in a real identifiable tangible way. Every win in Europe is worth a couple of million to Rangers - in order to want them to win Celtic would want to be receiving far more DIRECT benefit than that win gives Rangers.

Every win in Europe is worth a couple of million? I'll think you will find the prize money is no where near that level.

If Hutton is worth £8m for playing well for 4 months then Hinkel is worth more than that.

Hinkel is an excellent fullback and has been back in the German squad the last while. At £4m he would be a snip, no way would he be let go for that amount.

I highly doubt Mr. Arshavin or the rest of the Arsenal attackers are quaking in his boots about facing Mr. Hinkel tomorrow night! Lets be honest about this! He is a good player, no more no less. As for being worth 8m! Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Absolutely, Celtic should take the money if Spurs offer 10m

Have a read of this from this morning Glasgow Herald

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2525796.0.Could_speculation_help_accumulation.php

Interesting article, except that it is not £10m or champs league pot equivilant - it is £5.6m net for Celtic. In addition to this, it is too early to speculate on the consistency of N'Guemo. We are only one league game in.

We are in dangerous territory if we sell a proven midfielder like Brown with the season under way.

Every win in Europe is worth a couple of million? I'll think you will find the prize money is no where near that level.

Apologies - I meant every game, not every win.

A full stadium
    Sponsorship
    TV Rights
    Money from UEFA

My point stands.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt Mr. Arshavin or the rest of the Arsenal attackers are quaking in his boots about facing Mr. Hinkel tomorrow night! Lets be honest about this! He is a good player, no more no less. As for being worth 8m! Ha!

He's not worth 8m... but neither was Hutton.

Hinkel is an excellent full back and would cruise through games if he played in the EPL.

Somehow you don't come across as a person who sits down and watches many of Celtic's games.

Apologies - I meant every game, not every win.

A full stadium
    Sponsorship
    TV Rights
    Money from UEFA

My point stands.

Not really Bobby, as I explained in my post Rangers will get the majority of the money regardless of their results simply by being in Champions League. By them winning alot of games, they will generate win bonuses that will benefit soley their finances of course. However, Celtic will reap benefits in two to three years down the line based on rolling 5 year Uefa co-efficient. No expects the majority of OLD Firm fans to cheer on their rival, however, I think most fans should take a positive from a good result in that they will benefit from co-efficient. So for example when Rangers line up against Barcelona in CL this year and get a positive result, Celtic can take some pride from this result that a club from SPL has done well in Europe. I think I have said all I can on this subject.

He's not worth 8m... but neither was Hutton.

Hinkel is an excellent full back and would cruise through games if he played in the EPL.

Somehow you don't come across as a person who sits down and watches many of Celtic's games.

I don't get to see all Celtic games, I try to watch them as much as I can. I have seen enough of Hinkel to know hes a good player, hes comfortable on ball, can get forward well. His downfall is his lack of pace, any decent winger in premiership would rip him a new one and for this reason I do not believe he is in 4-5m bracket. As I say, hes up against premiership opposition tomorrow night and I suspect any potential suitors will be watching. To be honest, I dont believe he is going anywhere. Why would he want to leave Celtic?? Money isnt everything, ask Marco Fortuné.

So for example when Rangers line up against Barcelona in CL this year and get a positive result, Celtic can take some pride from this result that a club from SPL has done well in Europe.

Comic genius!!!

Not a hope mate... not a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Tommorow nyt big game!

Celtic 4 da win

KEEP THE FAITH!

NEVER WALK ALONExxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Tommorow nyt big game!

Celtic 4 da win

KEEP THE FAITH!

NEVER WALK ALONExxx

Love that coming from someone with the name mufc4lfe classic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

I have been following man u since I was 9,keane/schmeichal/cole era...Im Irish and always been a celtic fan also...love them both dearly!:cool:

Celtic 4 da win
    KEEP THE FAITH!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Good Luck Tomorrow :)
    Both Arsenal And Celtic Fan Here But Going For An Arsenal Win :D
    Devastated That One Of My Teams Has To Go So Early :mad:.

But surely if we get a positive result, Rangers can take some pride from this result that a club from SPL has done well in Europe.

But surely if we get a positive result, Rangers can take some pride from this result that a club from SPL has done well in Europe.

Absolutely, not only Rangers, it would be a fantastic boost for entire Scottish football league structure if Celtic can get a positive result for Scotland tonight. Heres hoping....

Comic genius!!!

Not a hope mate... not a hope!

It was just an example as they drew with them at Ibrox before a few years back...

There is a certain irony that a United fan would issue the words of a Liverpool anthem!

Bobby I'm with you on this though the opposite way I don't want ypou to win anything I would be a hypocrite if I said I did :p

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    I have been following man u since I was 9,keane/schmeichal/cole era...Im Irish and always been a celtic fan also...love them both dearly!:cool:

Celtic 4 da win
    KEEP THE FAITH!

And the bit in bold is relevant because ??????????:p

Bobby I'm with you on this though the opposite way I don't want ypou to win anything I would be a hypocrite if I said I did :p

Completely understandable mate - that is what rivalry is all about after all.

• Advertisement

Completely understandable mate - that is what rivalry is all about after all.

Thats the thing Bobby it doesn't mean I hate you as a Celtic fan (the vast majority of my mates are tic fans) it just means I want Celtic to lose every game they play. :p

Thats the thing Bobby it doesn't mean I hate you as a Celtic fan (the vast majority of my mates are tic fans) it just means I want Celtic to lose every game they play. :p

Right back at ya kid!

In case you hadn't heard, UPC have ESPN available at 10 euro per month if your a Sky Sports subscriber and 15 a month for those who dont. The equivalents on sky digital platform for ESPN are 12 and 16 euro so not bad price.

Is Caldwell worth his place in the team? I ask this because last year he really improved as a player and played very well, but he always seems to make big mistakes in big matches ie europe. O'Dea i think deserves a good run in the team for 5-6 games with Loovens and see what they can do they. You always get the sense with Caldwell he is one pass away from messing up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I wonder is centre-back becoming the new Celtic left-back i.e. a new problem area? Have to say I've not been hugely impressed with Loovens overall but he did ok the other night. Caldwell - I'm just not sure, he was decent in the league last season but does seem to have horrors in the big games.

More concerning to me though is the complete lack of goal threat we had against Arsenal. Samaras was very poor and Fortune was no better when he came on. McDonald is still our main threat and small as he is I thought we'd have been better starting with him. He's a little inconsistent for my liking though and needs a decent partner which neither Samaras or Fortune seem to be at the moment.

I'd like to see Killen given a shot against St. Johnstone at the weekend to see what he can do. He's got a few goals recently in pre-season and for NZ, he absolutely deserves a shot in the team imo.

Hopefully neither Samaras nor Donati get anywhere near the team to face Arsenal next week.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I wonder is centre-back becoming the new Celtic left-back i.e. a new problem area? Have to say I've not been hugely impressed with Loovens overall but he did ok the other night. Caldwell - I'm just not sure, he was decent in the league last season but does seem to have horrors in the big games.

More concerning to me though is the complete lack of goal threat we had against Arsenal. Samaras was very poor and Fortune was no better when he came on. McDonald is still our main threat and small as he is I thought we'd have been better starting with him. He's a little inconsistent for my liking though and needs a decent partner which neither Samaras or Fortune seem to be at the moment.

I'd like to see Killen given a shot against St. Johnstone at the weekend to see what he can do. He's got a few goals recently in pre-season and for NZ, he absolutely deserves a shot in the team imo.

Hopefully neither Samaras nor Donati get anywhere near the team to face Arsenal next week.

I had mentioned the Samaras thing on the match thread Paul. Don't know how or why Celtic started with him, I just think the guy is so bone lazy. McDonald has a history of scoring in big games and he must have been very disappointed not to start. As I said on match thread, I dont think Celtic were ever as shot shy in big euro game as they were on Wednesday. Ray Houghton was making this very point on RTE2 last night after they showed highlights of game. I was curious why Fortuné didnt start. Premierstone doesn't seem to rate him, Poindexter didn't want him to sign, and now you are questioning him Paul? You have played 4 competitive games, he turned down better money from EPL to sign for Celtic, do Celtic fans not feel they are a little quick to judge him? Give the guy a chance, guy just needs ball to hit off him and go in and relieve a bit of pressure. This guy cost 3.8m, Mowbray knows his game well and he must be decent.

I was out with a mate last night and we were discussing game and he asked when was the last time Celtic lost back to back home European games. Any trivia buffs help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is Caldwell worth his place in the team? I ask this because last year he really improved as a player and played very well, but he always seems to make big mistakes in big matches ie europe. O'Dea i think deserves a good run in the team for 5-6 games with Loovens and see what they can do they. You always get the sense with Caldwell he is one pass away from messing up.

I've always had my doubts about Caldwell Ive never really rated him tbh, and when WGS used to play him in midfield it used to really send me over the edge, to me he just never looks assured with the ball at he's feet and he's tackling is so borderline its an accident waiting to happen, and as Paulo alluded to thats fine in the SPL where you have a little bit more time and space but in Europe it will be exposed. He is excellent in the air however and as suprised as i was he had an excellent season last year.

Darren O'Dea to me has never put a foot wrong for Celtic, I dont know maybe I'm been biased because he's Irish but to me he should definitely be in that Celtic team and if I was mowbray the question I would be asking is ''who should partner O'Dea'' and at the moment that has to be Loovens who after a shaky start to he's Celtic career has really improved.

And also from an Irish perspective how Sean St. Ledger is on the team ahead of O'Dea is baffeling, but I guess he needs to be playing regularly for that to happen.

I've always had my doubts about Caldwell Ive never really rated him tbh, and when WGS used to play him in midfield it used to really send me over the edge, to me he just never looks assured with the ball at he's feet and he's tackling is so borderline its an accident waiting to happen, and as Paulo alluded to thats fine in the SPL where you have a little bit more time and space but in Europe it will be exposed. He is excellent in the air however and as suprised as i was he had an excellent season last year.

Darren O'Dea to me has never put a foot wrong for Celtic, I dont know maybe I'm been biased because he's Irish but to me he should definitely be in that Celtic team and if I was mowbray the question I would be asking is ''who should partner O'Dea'' and at the moment that has to be Loovens who after a shaky start to he's Celtic career has really improved.

And also from an Irish perspective how Sean St. Ledger is on the team ahead of O'Dea is baffeling, but I guess he needs to be playing regularly for that to happen.

I don't know for sure if O'Dea is good enough for Celtic but from what I've seen of him so far he seems to be.

However, what O'Dea deserves is a run of 20 games in the side to see if he is good enough.

• Advertisement

O'Dea never makes a mistake the couple of times Ive seen him. Always looks composed, would be great to see him in the Irish setup more regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement