Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

3-0 .......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

4-0. Laughable now. Mowbray has to be gone.

The wee ginger fud in 'Boro must be laughing his bollocks off at this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PauloMN wrote: »
    4-0. Laughable now. Mowbray has to be gone.

The wee ginger fud in 'Boro must be laughing his bollocks off at this!

Thats a disaster of a result for Celtic, too many average players simply not good enough.

United score in the last minute....oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Taxi for Tony :pac:

A fcuking joke. If he has any decency he'll get in his car tonight and wont turn up for training tomorrow.

A farce. Regardless of them being out of the title race such a result is ridiculous.

FT at Tannadice 1-0 Utd.

Didnt deserve anything out of that game tonight in all honesty, Utd done well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He'll go. 4-0 is a blessing in disguise tbh. 1-0 would have kept him there. He might actually walk.

Artmedia feeling tonight, only worse.

Eirebear wrote: »
    FT at Tannadice 1-0 Utd.

Didnt deserve anything out of that game tonight in all honesty, Utd done well.
    This is a Celtic thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Vanbis wrote: »
    Thats a disaster of a result for Celtic, too many average players simply not good enough.

That result has nothing to do with the quality of the players, any one of the Celtic team would walk onto the St Mirren squad. The blame has to go to Mowbray, he hasn't got them working together. If the man has any sense he will be gone by tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sizzler wrote: »
    This is a Celtic thread :confused:

He's trying to cheer you up, don't be so ungrateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Shocking stuff, the only good thing about tonight is the cup where Celtic have a good chance of winning it or maybe not!

PDN wrote: »
    He's trying to cheer you up, don't be so ungrateful.
    I aint sad :)

I just dont like seeing a joker at the helm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

"I'll take responsibility for the way we played tonight and maybe we need to play differently away from home. We were open and left some young defenders exposed and vulnerable." - Tony Mowbray on BBC Radio Scotland.

From the sounds of that he has no intentions of doing the right thing and resigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Absolutely Pathetic

Mowbray should stand down.

This result is up there with the Super Caley Thistle go ballistic.

At least DUTD stopped Rangers doing the treble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

what the fk happened tonight!!? Didnt see the game!

I aint sad :)

I just dont like seeing a joker at the helm!

lol, ive probably contributed a lot more to this thread than your good self. Im not winding anyone up, and not trolling despite the fact that Celtic have just had one of their worst results in the last 20 years.

lol, ive probably contributed a lot more to this thread than your good self. Im not winding anyone up, and not trolling despite the fact that Celtic have just had one of their worst results in the last 20 years.
    LOL indeed, playground stuff with the "Ive contributed more than you have" line :o

Troll away, I dont mind :)

Mowbray will ge gone tomorrow, CFC deserve better. Rangers have had a cake walk in the league with an average side, sums up Mowbray's performance this year. He'll never work again...then again Staunton got a job after Ireland so anythings possible in football :D

LOL indeed, playground stuff with the "Ive contributed more than you have" line :o

Troll away, I dont mind :)

Mowbray will ge gone tomorrow, CFC deserve better. Rangers have had a cake walk in the league with an average side, sums up Mowbray's performance this year. He'll never work again...then again Staunton got a job after Ireland so anythings possible in football :D

Not playground in the slightest fella, just pointing out...im used to the usual "what are you doing here" bull**** from certain elements of this forum when Celtic aint doing so well.

As for trolling, why bother? I doubt i could cause any of the Celtic fans any more pain than they actually feel tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats astonishing. I had to check if Keane was playing when I saw the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Scandalous stuff.

"I'll take responsibility for the way we played tonight and maybe we need to play differently away from home. We were open and left some young defenders exposed and vulnerable." - Tony Mowbray on BBC Radio Scotland.

From the sounds of that he has no intentions of doing the right thing and resigning.

I'd say he is waiting to be pushed so he gets the few bob pay off as he knows he wont be working anytime soon.

Celtic booed off tonight BTW.Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

And to think so many folk wanted Strachan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a pity everyone else is so sh1te over the course of a season, Celtic will still finish second (which is nowhere in SLP I realise) when a proper embarrassment is needed. Should still get more points than John Barnes side though!

Edit - only three games left they can only get 67 two less than 99/00 team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Tony, think you were lucky to last this long even

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a pity everyone else is so sh1te over the course of a season, Celtic will still finish second (which is nowhere in SLP I realise) when a proper embarrassment is needed. Should still get more points than John Barnes side though!

Edit - only three games left they can only get 67 two less than 99/00 team!

Nah theres 8 games left dude, the post split fixtures havnt been announced yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mowbray wont quit, and i think if he is given time, he might surprise people next season tbh

alot of the blame must lie with the board in all honesty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What the hell went wrong though, even though they got relegated, his west brom team played decent football... Does he just not have the right players at Celtic, or is it a serious lack of any sort of plan B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kryogen wrote: »
    Mowbray wont quit, and i think if he is given time, he might surprise people next season tbh

alot of the blame must lie with the board in all honesty

How? They've backed him all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Archimedes wrote: »
    What the hell went wrong though, even though they got relegated, his west brom team played decent football... Does he just not have the right players at Celtic, or is it a serious lack of any sort of plan B?

Well he's gone now for sure. Has to be nail in the coffin stuff at this stage. He's had decent players just never got them working together. January clear-out happened. Same again. TM just can't get it right at Celtic.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    How? They've backed him all the way

not really, alot of players were sold because of the finances, this is not the managers fault, he has tried to bring in players, but as they are cheaper, they are invariably worse then who they are replacing, and with so many replacements coming in one go it was always going to be a tough task getting them playing well together this season

tbh, alot of them arent good enough to play for Celtic anyway

Who is that absolute dud of a goalie btw?

he was awful last night, absolutely awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Look, unacceptable result for Celtic last night. I didnt see game, but read Mowbray's quotes and yet again was thinking to myself what planet is he on... There is not a leader on that park last night for Celtic, Keane aside, and he cannot be expected to carry the team. Gary Caldwell leaving, Barry Robson leaving?? Shocking decisions from Celtic whether it was board or Mowbray. Yet most of you derided me for saying it. You let seasoned pros go and last night in the consequence. Mowbray is a laughing stock to be honest. Do you still maintain it was appropriate to let Robson go??

When i consider the abuse Strachan got on here from Celtic fans and look what he achieved??

Strachan should never have been allowed to leave Celtic, I have no doubt he would have spent the money better than Mowbray and would be right up there challenging a poor Rangers team. Celtic are potentially 16 points behind one of the poorest Rangers teams in history by all accounts...??

3.8m for Fortune, your having a laugh surely?
    2m on a crock of a centre half when you got rid of a Scottish international player in Caldwell??

You couldn't make it up. Celtic, hang your heads in shame. A Scottish cup win will not disguise the cancer currently widespread at Celtic.

Brewster wrote: »
    When i consider the abuse Strachan got on here from Celtic fans and look what he achieved??

Strachan should never have been allowed to leave Celtic, I have no doubt he would have spent the money better than Mowbray and would be right up there challenging a poor Rangers team.

As I've said before, as bad as Mowbray is, Strachan would not be the solution. You obviously did not watch Celtic play for his 2nd season, and especially his last season if you think he'd have done a better job. The signs were there in Strachan's second season, he should have been offski after that. His third season was shockingly bad.

the Rangers team play like a team though, they work for each other and tbh, the contribution of Kris Boyd cant be minimalised. they also have a leader or two on the pitch

this is the difference between the two clubs this season imo

As I've said before, as bad as Mowbray is, Strachan would not be the solution. You obviously did not watch Celtic play for his 2nd season, and especially his last season if you think he'd have done a better job. The signs were there in Strachan's second season, he should have been offski after that. His third season was shockingly bad.

Paul, how can you compare Mowbray and Strachan? It beggars belief. Yes he had a disappointing third season but he still took league to last game of season. This year the league could be over before split. The Rangers team has not changed dramatically in this time, they havent spend a shilling since summer 08. If Strachan was still in charge of Celtic they would not be potentially 16 points behind Rangers. For anyone to claim otherwise is looney. He was not a perfect manager by any means, but a Strachan team would not have capitulated like Mowbray's teams this year. Mowbray is absolutely clueless, he must go and take his dross with him.

kryogen wrote: »
    the Rangers team play like a team though, they work for each other and tbh, the contribution of Kris Boyd cant be minimalised. they also have a leader or two on the pitch

this is the difference between the two clubs this season imo

Thats down to the manager, plain and simple. Rangers obviously have a number of better players than Celtic especially in defensive positions but main difference is that they play as a team no question. Any team that wins a cup final with nine men has team spirit by the barrowload. However, by European standards Rangers are a poor team. By Spl standards, I think they are still a poor team but obviously still far superior to Celtic. Manger is by far major difference though. Walter Smith is one of the best around, Mowbray is a nothing manager, always will be. Mowbray has a Celtic background and played for club, this is why he was given job, not because of any record of achievement in game at any level and this has come back to haunt Celtic big style.

Mowbray has a Celtic background and played for club, this is why he was given job, not because of any record of achievement in game at any level and this has come back to haunt Celtic big style.

Bollocks. Don't start with all that "Celtic-minded" media-driven bull**** now. He was given the job because he was the best of a bad lot who would come to Glasgow, who Celtic could afford to pay, and who didn't have more tempting offers. Again Brewster, like when you talk about players brought in, you seem to think Celtic can just wave a magic wand and get anyont they like - there's so many constraints involved.

He had some Premiership experience, and most people - myself included - thought he'd have a good chance of doing well in the SPL.

Quite clearly, a lot of people were wrong, myself included. I've actually avoided his post-match interviews because I just find him annoying at this stage. I read this just now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8586377.stm

The board simply have to get rid now, if he doesn't walk. Personally I feel he'll be here until the end of the season, even though I think he should be cut loose right now - give someone new at least some time to look at what we have before the end of the season and try to win some games.

Mowbray's "Negative defensive football" comments show a real lack of class in my opinion.

Look at the league table Tony, check the columns with F and A at their heads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

He should have been gone months ago if were being honest, I used to watch every Celtic game I could or read the online commentary on the website if I couldn't watch the game.

I haven't done either in 2 months because as long as Mowbray is there I have no hope or belief in Celtic FC.

Its bad when a 4 - 0 defeat to St Mirren hasn't shocked me

Bollocks. Don't start with all that "Celtic-minded" media-driven bull**** now. He was given the job because he was the best of a bad lot who would come to Glasgow, who Celtic could afford to pay, and who didn't have more tempting offers. Again Brewster, like when you talk about players brought in, you seem to think Celtic can just wave a magic wand and get anyont they like - there's so many constraints involved.

He had some Premiership experience, and most people - myself included - thought he'd have a good chance of doing well in the SPL.

Quite clearly, a lot of people were wrong, myself included. I've actually avoided his post-match interviews because I just find him annoying at this stage. I read this just now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8586377.stm

The board simply have to get rid now, if he doesn't walk. Personally I feel he'll be here until the end of the season, even though I think he should be cut loose right now - give someone new at least some time to look at what we have before the end of the season and try to win some games.

I agree 100% Paul that he has to go now, which would give new man a chance to assess thing. I have to disagree fundamentally with you on the choice of Mowbray originally. I do not believe Celtic trawled the net wide at all. In fact quite the opposite, most of the canditates linked/interviewed for job were former players of the club or had close links. The thinking here was that someone that understood what the club was all about would help be successful. This was also supposed to appeal to the fans considering the reign of Strachan before. Much like calls since to get Paul Lambert back to club with Neil Lennon as assistant in recent times. This is not b***ix Paul, Im convinced of this. The facts speak for themselves quite frankly. Celtic need to cast their net far and wide and bring in a European manager. They'd be better off playing top dollar to someone, rather than wasting what precious little resources they have on the likes of Marco Fortune. 4m was wasted on this chancer, they could have given a manager 1.5m a year on a three year contract for this outlay... 1.5m would get you a good manager. Yes Celtic are working in financially difficult times, but they have not used their resouces wisely as I have said many times on here.

• Advertisement

Mowbray's "Negative defensive football" comments show a real lack of class in my opinion.

Look at the league table Tony, check the columns with F and A at their heads....

It's not often I agree with you, but I do on this. Totally.

Reading what he said after the match just annoys me. Also the don't blame me attitude, I'm trying to play expansive football in the SPL and it doesn't work line. Seriously, any manager worth their salt, and seeing the SPL in the past few years should know better than to peddle off bull**** like that to the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The thinking here was that someone that understood what the club was all about would help be successful. This was also supposed to appeal to the fans considering the reign of Strachan before. Much like calls since to get Paul Lambert back to club with Neil Lennon as assistant in recent times. This is not b***ix Paul, Im convinced of this. The facts speak for themselves quite frankly. .

Does it not hurt to be so bloody sure of everything. You are convnced therefore it's fact. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

On the bright side lads, at least your shock defeats inspire excellent headlines in the tabloids.

Todays Star ran the headline:
    "Hell In Mirren"

You wouldn't get genius like that in your fancy Guardians or Times newspapers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2907276/Boss-Mowbray-leaves-Celtic.html

TONY MOWBRAY has left his position as manager of Scottish Premier League giants Celtic.

The former West Brom boss has been under increasing pressure following a dismal run of results which has seen the Hoops lose seven SPL games so far this season.

It's the Sun all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ssn reporting hes left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

I completely agree with everything you say Brewster. It all stops on the managers head. Its not as if rangers are filled with far superior players.

It was up to Mowbray to bring in the right players with the proper leadership skills as I feel thats what lets us down. Didnt see the game last night but to date there seems to a complete lack of belief in their own ability. That comes from the manager.

Not happy at all with the players that were let go and the players who were brought in. I would have thought he did but when Mowbray took the job, I dont think he quite realised the amount of pressure at such a club as in you have to perform every week. Every team is out to beat you. Typical thinking by bringing in Fortune. An average player in the premiership so thinks he'll be magnificent in the spl. It doesnt work like that tony! People who dont watch the spl on a regular basis dont seem to understand that. I dont know why Mobray didnt know this!

Its a difficult job to find the right sort of players on a shoestring budget. I was happy with Fox and rasmussen might be a find but we havent that sort of money to be splashing around on $h*te players like Fortune! Celtic fans cannot continue to blame the board. We've spent money whilst rangers havent spent a bean!

Also feel getting a great player like robbie keane is going to be a waste in a season thats been abysmal. So disapponting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

It hasn't been confirmed yet though. SSN also say Lennon to be asked to take over as caretaker manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

blindpilot wrote: »
    It hasn't been confirmed yet though. SSN also say Lennon to be asked to take over as caretaker manager.

Paul Lambert be a good bet as the next Manager or do you think Lennon will get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Vanbis wrote: »
    Paul Lambert be a good bet as the next Manager or do you think Lennon will get it?

If Lennon stays on until the end of the season and does well he'd have as much a chance as anyone. Lamberts name will be around too. Hard to know really. Its all a bit of a mess there now.

• Advertisement

Does it not hurt to be so bloody sure of everything. You are convnced therefore it's fact. :rolleyes:

Look, I make my point and provide the evidence to back it up. I cant do anymore than that, if you remain unconvinced that it your prerogative Coillte Bhoy.

I could have done a better job managing Celtic this season, and if he is gone, then he is no loss. Get a manager with talent in, not someone who has played for Celtic or "understands the fans". All rubbish in my eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement