Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Lafferty is a pure numpty.

for the size of him he's an awful blouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

2nd win on the trot for Lennon, it is hard to get excited though :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

2nd win on the trot for Lennon, it is hard to get excited though :cool:

So true. Not a great game, both sides were poor, and it was just luck we got a penalty. Felt a bit sorry for Stokes actually, however it was a penalty.

I know a lot of people including myself have been unhappy with Samaras, but I'm getting a bit tired of Fortune tbh. Offered nothing again yesterday, seems to have poor control and rarely scores, which for a striker in the SPL doesn't say much really. Actually thought Samaras had a reasonably decent 1st half, was poor in the 2nd half though.

They really need to do something about those pitches though. Not excusing the poor football, but really those pitches do nothing to help it. Easter Road was shockingly bad yesterday. The SPL need to start getting tough with these clubs. Surely if you can afford to knock down and rebuild stands you can keep a decent pitch ffs. :mad:

As regards Lenny - at least he's being proactive in the dug out and not sitting there with his head in his hands like Mowbray was most of the time. He'll have to think about his striking options though - Ras needs to be starting imo instead of Fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    So true. Not a great game, both sides were poor, and it was just luck we got a penalty. Felt a bit sorry for Stokes actually, however it was a penalty.

I know a lot of people including myself have been unhappy with Samaras, but I'm getting a bit tired of Fortune tbh. Offered nothing again yesterday, seems to have poor control and rarely scores, which for a striker in the SPL doesn't say much really. Actually thought Samaras had a reasonably decent 1st half, was poor in the 2nd half though.

They really need to do something about those pitches though. Not excusing the poor football, but really those pitches do nothing to help it. Easter Road was shockingly bad yesterday. The SPL need to start getting tough with these clubs. Surely if you can afford to knock down and rebuild stands you can keep a decent pitch ffs. :mad:

As regards Lenny - at least he's being proactive in the dug out and not sitting there with his head in his hands like Mowbray was most of the time. He'll have to think about his striking options though - Ras needs to be starting imo instead of Fortune.

A couple of fantastic strikes apart, Fortune has been a failure Paul. He has great strength but doesn't seem to be able to use it to his advantage. He is just not a very intelligent footballer. I actually think he would be better as a back row forward on a rugby field!! He is just not a good player. Prob is he cost 4m odd pounds and therefore there is an onus on manager to play him. However, that was previous manager, new regime now and he should be dropped. Lennon didnt sign him, he can't be in team in merit. Rasmussen will likely be a Celtic's centre forward next season. He needs game time to develop his game rather than kicking his heels on the bench. He seems a goalscorer from what I have seen of him and looks quite intelligent unlike the Marco bhoy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

SPL calls for new referee appeals system

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8607548.stm

Scottish Premier League open to new plastic pitches

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8607191.stm

The SPL are finally thinking for themselves but I reckon there are too many dinosaurs in the SFA to see sense. The appeals system is stupid and Smith's comments shows his incompetence. Alot of people are calling for an overhaul of the system at this stage, it needs to happen.

The SFA unwillingness to embrace change and citing wrong interpretations of the game rules as the reasons makes me wonder how many other things have the refused to fix based on backwards/stupid reasoning.

I'm not a fan of artificial pitches because they are hard on joints (mine anyways!) but the standard of SPL pitches isnt good enough, cold snap or not, clubs look like they cant afford/wont pay/not enforced to maintain undersoil heating systems and pitches to a satisfactory standard. Something has to change here. Either you push clubs to the wall over the maintenance costs or let them use alternatives for the benefit of the spectacle. Whats happening at the moment is neither and its a farce.

They need to step out from the shadow of how the EPL operates and think whats best for Scottish football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I couldn't agree more Dempsey they have to get there heads out of the sand.
    Shock Horror Dempsey and I agree on something :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of artificial pitches because they are hard on joints (mine anyways!) but the standard of SPL pitches isnt good enough, cold snap or not, clubs look like they cant afford/wont pay/not enforced to maintain undersoil heating systems and pitches to a satisfactory standard. Something has to change here. Either you push clubs to the wall over the maintenance costs or let them use alternatives for the benefit of the spectacle. Whats happening at the moment is neither and its a farce.

Agreed. Either maintain a decent grass pitch or have a quality artificial pitch installed. I don't know much about artificial pitches, but have they improved any since the Dunfermline experiment? That seemed to be a disaster. Surely a good quality artificial pitch has to be better than the current grass pitches that Hibs, Killie and St. Mirren operate.

As for winter breaks - don't think it would make any difference in Scotland. A few weeks over Christmas won't help - winter seems to be at its worst in Feb/March, certainly in Scotland.

Agreed. Either maintain a decent grass pitch or have a quality artificial pitch installed. I don't know much about artificial pitches, but have they improved any since the Dunfermline experiment? That seemed to be a disaster. Surely a good quality artificial pitch has to be better than the current grass pitches that Hibs, Killie and St. Mirren operate.

As for winter breaks - don't think it would make any difference in Scotland. A few weeks over Christmas won't help - winter seems to be at its worst in Feb/March, certainly in Scotland.

Yea, they have improved alot since that experiment. FIFA has introduced certification and standards on them since then. They are far from perfect but they are much better

Look at the CSKA v Inter Milan match, that was played on a 4G surface. Choice between that playing surface and Fir Park....

But ideally, the SPL get more involved in the maintenance of grass surfaces would be best. My club, a junior side can maintain a pretty good surface all season round, surely a professional club with fulltime staff and millions of turnover can do it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Celtic one down to Ross County :eek:

Still over half an hour to go, so maybe they scored to early ;)

• Advertisement

Lol sums up the season really. Clear out needed big time. 2 top goals by Ross County though (who??). Fair play to them, will go down in their history.

Any team can do Celtic at the moment. The Lisbon Lions would be turning in their graves looking at the current squad. Results like today aren't even shocking anymore given the recent form.

Lol sums up the season really. Clear out needed big time. 2 top goals by Ross County though (who??). Fair play to them, will go down in their history.

Any team can do Celtic at the moment. The Lisbon Lions would be turning in their graves looking at the current squad. Results like today aren't even shocking anymore given the recent form.

Alot of them probably saw the match today from the corporate boxes :(

They all should be fined for their poor performance, their attitude was there to see after 1 min, you'd expect to see it when junior sides from different divisions play each other but not at that level.

Fair play to Ross County, they deserved their win without doubt

Yeah, true, just thinking what the likes of Jinky and Big Jock would say if they saw that bunch of imposters.

"The jersey doesn't shrink to fit inferior players". They must have feckin' done the current lot at 70C.

Unacceptable result for Celtic today. Its one of the worst results of their history. What I have been saying all season is coming home to roost and then some. Who are these imposters wearing the famous shirt and who are the idiots that put them there in the first place???

A lot of you have your heads buried in the sand Im afraid. There are some truly awful players playing for the hoops just now and Celtic fans need to demand action and get rid of these imposters.

Samaras......... what an absolute muppet, he must be paid off and told to leave club.

Fortune, what a dud, once of the worst signing in recent times. 4m pounds spunked on this dude when money is scarce? What a donkey he is.

McGeady, 10m pound player. Would you cop on lads, I have been saying this all season, when are you going to have the balls to call time on this guy? He is a good player, nothing more, nothing less

N'Guemo, gets a nose bleed beyond half way line. Good bye

Brown, decent player, 8m pound, dont make me laugh. Captain material?? Dont make me laugh again.

Do I need to go on????

There need to be some serious changes at Celtic next season, it is not all Lennon's fault, he has inherited the mess yet he cannot be absolved of all blame either.

Where would Celtic be without their only class player in Keane? He has scored all their goals recently. Irony of course is he isnt even going to be there next season.

I feel sorry for the Celtic fans, but they have to stand up and say enough is enough. They need to get real and demand action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Celtic deserve everything they are getting!! They hounded Strachan out. On these pages, the fools wanting Strachan out were warned to be careful what they wished for in wanting one of the best managers they ever had out of their club!

Well they got it, deal with this mediocrity!! Get used to it!!

Strachan out!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Celtic deserve everything they are getting!! They hounded Strachan out. On these pages, the fools wanting Strachan out were warned to be careful what they wished for in wanting one of the best managers they ever had out of their club!

Nurse... nurse... another one has escaped!

Another one who didn't see Strachan's last two seasons. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nurse... nurse... another one has escaped!

Another one who didn't see Strachan's last two seasons. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What, when you's won stuff?? Celtic have got the season they deserve this year.

A p!ss poor Rangers team are racing away with the title!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Paddy Macourt, shocking player along with a few others yesterday. Neil Lennon is not the right man for Celtic at this current time. The whole squad needs a massive shake up all over. I don't know who they could bring in but who ever that is they will need some serious money and good eye for a player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Strachan had weakness's but nothing like what has happened this season at Celtic.

For whatever reason Celtic have ended up with a lot of poor players (and poor attitudes)

I wish Celtic well and hope they get a good manager and some quality players with the right attitude.

Unfortunately the attraction of the Scottish league and Celtic are not what they were or is it that other league have accelerated away from them.

If both Celtic and Rangers could get into the English championship and fight their way into the premiership then they may be able to regain their past glories.

That or some sort of European league can be their saviour.

Best of luck to Celtic. From a football point of view these are sorrowful times but I am sure they will rise again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic v Rangers 4th May 19.45 Meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Badabing wrote: »

No Meh! About it, its always nice to visit you guys as newly crowned Champions! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Eirebear wrote: »
    No Meh! About it, its always nice to visit you guys as newly crowned Champions! :p

And i thought you were a nice compassionate guy ;)

ziggy wrote: »

The board didnt let Strachan go, they actually asked him to reconsider his decision. Strachan walked from Celtic, dont try to make out in any way that it was the other way around

Evening KO?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The only up side from the result is that it gives the board no excuse for going cheap on a manager for next season. Celtic have rapidly gone from competing bravely against AC Milan and Man Utd to this shambles in just a few years due to poor leadership, the club is a quickly sinking ship and they need a proven manager to fix it.

If I was given the choice between the board going cheap with a manager like Neil Lennon and giving him a fairly large transfer budget to spend over the summer or taking a proven manager (paying big money for him if necessary) and only giving him a small budget I would definitely go for the latter.

Walter Smith has shown what a good manager can do with no money and a poor squad and Tony Mowbray has shown what a poor manager can do with money and a decent squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The squad has been playing woefully, but there are very few players on the Celtic squad which would not walk onto almost any other SPL team's starting line-up. The team we have would never be capable of competing in Europe but the Celtic squad should be more than capable of racking up a much larger points tally than they have done.

Outside of Rangers how many players in the SPL are anywhere near being better than Boruc, Hinkel, McGeady, Brown, Maloney or Keane on top form? Yes, they have been far from top form this season (and the last half of last season) but I would blame poor management rather than the quality of the players for that.

Evening KO?

Yeah, Tuesday night

monkey9 wrote: »

I couldn't agree more, and to be fair to me I was probably most vocal in my appreciation for what Strachan did for Celtic. The people who criticise him on here should put their hands up and basically say he wasnt that bad afterall! Strachan was not perfect, but some on here have to audacity to claim that things were as bad under Strachan as they have been this season.:pac::pac: Wake up and smell the coffee lads. Worst league campaign in a decade, out of every domestic cup competition with a whimper, a shocking bad European campaign. This is ludricous, a Strachan team would never have lost to would never have lost 4 nil to St Mirren. Mowbray denuded the Celtic squad of every bit of leadership it had and signed duds. Yes Strachan's signing didnt all work out, Samaras being the main culpret, but not even Sir Alex gets it right all the time in transfer market. Brown was supposed to be going to Rangers and Celtic gazumped them by bidding more, who is laughing now? Lawwell is more to blame than Strachan, his handprints were all over the signing, acting the bigman trying to get one over on their rivals. The signing of the other guyLoovens another case in point, he was Rangers main centre back target all summer, again in comes big Peter and signs him up. Rangers got Bougherra then and rest is history.

Blaming Strachan for Celtic's problems is as I say ludicruous. For you the Celtic supporters to claim that they are is just silly. 3 titles and two last 16 appearance in CL. You can never taken this away from wee Gordon.

Most of the problems at Celtic were caused by the board and Tony Mowbray. How Lawwell and Reid must wish they could turn back the clock to January window in 2009 and strengthened the squad, instead of assuming title was already bound for Celtic Park................ They didn't, and they are paying the price now and then some...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Walter Smith has shown what a good manager can do with no money and a poor squad and Tony Mowbray has shown what a poor manager can do with money and a decent squad.

:eek::mad::(

Praising Walter Smith is an act of treason for any Irishman.

What utter nonsense. Why is this? He is one of the best managers of his generation and to say otherwise is for reasons that clearly have nothing whatsoever to do with football.

I remember John Giles recommending him for the Manager of the year award for what he achieved for a bankrupt Everton side many years ago.

The man is one of the most loyal people in football. How many guys are willing to work for nothing? He does not have a contract at present by all accounts.

Any success Walter Smith achieves is richly deserved, one of the few gentlemen left in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

You really have to be joking
    or are you just being ignorant

To be fair, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowell need to know a fair but about the club! ;)

Brewster wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, and to be fair to me I was probably most vocal in my appreciation for what Strachan did for Celtic. The people who criticise him on here should put their hands up and basically say he wasnt that bad afterall! Strachan was not perfect, but some on here have to audacity to claim that things were as bad under Strachan as they have been this season.:pac::pac: Wake up and smell the coffee lads. Worst league campaign in a decade, out of every domestic cup competition with a whimper, a shocking bad European campaign. This is ludricous, a Strachan team would never have lost to would never have lost 4 nil to St Mirren. Mowbray denuded the Celtic squad of every bit of leadership it had and signed duds. Yes Strachan's signing didnt all work out, Samaras being the main culpret, but not even Sir Alex gets it right all the time in transfer market. Brown was supposed to be going to Rangers and Celtic gazumped them by bidding more, who is laughing now? Lawwell is more to blame than Strachan, his handprints were all over the signing, acting the bigman trying to get one over on their rivals. The signing of the other guyLoovens another case in point, he was Rangers main centre back target all summer, again in comes big Peter and signs him up. Rangers got Bougherra then and rest is history.

Blaming Strachan for Celtic's problems is as I say ludicruous. For you the Celtic supporters to claim that they are is just silly. 3 titles and two last 16 appearance in CL. You can never taken this away from wee Gordon.

Most of the problems at Celtic were caused by the board and Tony Mowbray. How Lawwell and Reid must wish they could turn back the clock to January window in 2009 and strengthened the squad, instead of assuming title was already bound for Celtic Park................ They didn't, and they are paying the price now and then some...

I think you underestimate how poor Celtic were by the end of Strachan's reign. As I've said before, only people who were watching game after game of Strachan's last season and listening to the post-match interviews can appreciate how bad it was.

I thoroughly enjoyed Strachan's first seasons, there's no Celtic fan who wouldn't appreciate the progress in Europe during those seasons. But by the last season he just had to go, and had he not, I couldn't imagine Celtic being much different to what they are like now.

That's not to say Mowbray hasn't been a disaster but it's easy for you to come on here now at the end of this season and proclaim wisdom about how Celtic should have kept Strachan.

Paul, yeah I do agree it would be easy for me to come here at the end of the season and talk about what a poor decision it was for Strachan and Celtic to part company... Except that I was making this point 12 months ago!!!

Yes Strachan wasnt perfect, yes he could be a bit sarcy at times, but generally speaking he won football matches. If Strachan was still manager, Scott McDonald would still be at the club, one of Celtic's better players in recent times. I fail to see how he could have spend the millions Mowbray squandered on poor signings any worse!!!

Yes things weren't perfect under Strachan, as I say had the board backed him in Jan 2009 we wouldn't be discussing this now. Celtic would be on way to five in a row of that I have no doubts. They took Rangers to final game of season last year FFS only for poor finishing away to Hibs to ultimately cost them the title the previous wkd. How can you compare this level of acheivement to what the situation is this year? Its the same Rangers team for crying out loud, and as their European performances this year have shown they are no world beaters. Rangers are better than the sum of their parts and thats down to the manager(Sorry Brian Capture, another act of treason committed cos Im Irish!!) Yet Celtic are miles behind them this year?? Something doesnt ad up here lads.

Strachan is a great manager and will prove it with Boro next season, he is already beginning to improve them.

Question is, where are Celtic Football club going to get their next great manager? Its sure as hell not Neil Lennon as far as I am concerned. This has been Celtic's problem, giving people jobs that are beyond them at this stage of their careers. Mowbray had achieved nothing and got Celtic job, Lennon has achieved nothing and should not even be linked to job FFS! Brown shoudn't be captain, neither should O'Dea been etc etc. This lads haven't worked for the honour to be in such lofty positions and this is what has led to the lack of heart in Celtic team. These lads thought they had made it, but in reality they have achieved nothing in their careers and this has contributed to soft underbelly in team.

Yeah the lads I drink with know their football Ziggy, they are regulars in Glasgow on match days and know the score fairly well. So yes some of things I post I have heard elsewhere obviously!!

You implied the board let him go and again you imply that the board would have sacked him anyways which is clearly untrue as they wanted him to stay on.

• Advertisement

Strachan was hounded out by the same idiot fans who still expect blue chip singings purely cause Celtic used to be able to afford them, completely agree with the posters above that we'd be looking at 5 in a row if strachan was backed in Jan 2009.

whatever about bad decisions in signing players, all managers are guilty of that at some stage, biggest fcuk up at celtic park was letting Hartley and VGOH go at the end of last season when it was clear that we needed leaders and experience in the team! they may not be the players they once were but they would have played important roles this season.

just look at the way we wrestled the title back 2 seasons ago, robson, hartley and VGOH knocked lumps out of teams in the final 6 games of the season, we've replaced those battlers unfortunately with bottlers.

Paul, yeah I do agree it would be easy for me to come here at the end of the season and talk about what a poor decision it was for Strachan and Celtic to part company... Except that I was making this point 12 months ago!!!

Yes Strachan wasnt perfect, yes he could be a bit sarcy at times, but generally speaking he won football matches. If Strachan was still manager, Scott McDonald would still be at the club, one of Celtic's better players in recent times. I fail to see how he could have spend the millions Mowbray squandered on poor signings any worse!!!

Yes things weren't perfect under Strachan, as I say had the board backed him in Jan 2009 we wouldn't be discussing this now. Celtic would be on way to five in a row of that I have no doubts. They took Rangers to final game of season last year FFS only for poor finishing away to Hibs to ultimately cost them the title the previous wkd. How can you compare this level of acheivement to what the situation is this year? Its the same Rangers team for crying out loud, and as their European performances this year have shown they are no world beaters. Rangers are better than the sum of their parts and thats down to the manager(Sorry Brian Capture, another act of treason committed cos Im Irish!!) Yet Celtic are miles behind them this year?? Something doesnt ad up here lads.

Strachan is a great manager and will prove it with Boro next season, he is already beginning to improve them.

Question is, where are Celtic Football club going to get their next great manager? Its sure as hell not Neil Lennon as far as I am concerned. This has been Celtic's problem, giving people jobs that are beyond them at this stage of their careers. Mowbray had achieved nothing and got Celtic job, Lennon has achieved nothing and should not even be linked to job FFS! Brown shoudn't be captain, neither should O'Dea been etc etc. This lads haven't worked for the honour to be in such lofty positions and this is what has led to the lack of heart in Celtic team. These lads thought they had made it, but in reality they have achieved nothing in their careers and this has contributed to soft underbelly in team.

My point is though, what would you be saying about Strachan had Mowbray been a resounding success? I honestly think that you have your head in the clouds if you think we'd be on course for 5 in a row had Strachan still been here and had the board's support in Jan '09.

I personally don't think he was without the boards support then. We'd all like great signings every window, sometimes it doesn't happen that way. How do you know what the board said or didn't say to him? He brought in plenty of players but with limited success. Naka, JVoH, Boruc, Hinkel, McDonald, Robson, Zurawski (first season) ... that's probably the best of them. He had a hell of a lot of duds as well though: Gravesen, Donati, Sno, Killen, Virgo, Telfer (actually might be a little unfair to call him a dud), Camara etc..

As for the board, without them we'd not have had Robbie Keane this season. Unfortunately it was too little too late, but the board get slated when it suits people. We could be sitting in 3rd spot at the moment without Keane though. Strachan was his own man - he was big enough to fight his corner.

I agree with you on McDonald though. Was sorry to see him go. Decent record overall and streets ahead of Fortune.

Should be interesting tomorrow to see what the team sheet is if nothing else:
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/neil-lennon-wields-axe-on-celtic-1.1020065

Braafheid should be sent packing - arsehole. Hopefully Ras will be given a chance to shine. Can't believe we're in a dog fight for 2nd spot in the SPL... it's laughable. Maybe Rangers will do us a favour... :rolleyes:

Thats a shocking attitude but you do get that with loan signings. The going gets tough, they fade away as they have their parent club to fall back on.

I was reading there that Motherwell will have played 20 away games and 18 homes games following post split fixtures release. That is just not acceptable. Whatever about having to go to the same venue three times, and still having played 19 home and 19 away, the Motherwell situation is a joke. Its not fair. Imagine the uproar if that happened Rangers or Celtic??

I was reading there that Motherwell will have played 20 away games and 18 homes games following post split fixtures release. That is just not acceptable. Whatever about having to go to the same venue three times, and still having played 19 home and 19 away, the Motherwell situation is a joke. Its not fair. Imagine the uproar if that happened Rangers or Celtic??

Yes, I agree.

I find it interesting though that the main complaint is not the idea of a harder game, but the loss of revenue lol. Shows just how dreadful Celtic are.

The split is a load of **** though. It's never going to be fair trying to patch together fixtures in a 12 team league to play 38 games though. I'd be happier with a bigger league, sure the quality wouldn't suffer with big name like.... ermmm.... Ross County etc.. ;)

The split is just another thing for outsiders to laugh at along with crap pitches, poor quality football and Scottish refs.

The split itself is a joke

• Advertisement

if anything Motherwell should be given harsher treatment given the state of their pitch for the past few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Motherwell look like they are launching some sort of appeal it seems maybe. St Mirren are also unhappy about playing Falkirk away three times this season, not really fair in what could be a relegation decider.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/8615637.stm
    Motherwell have mounted a challenge to the Scottish Premier League's post-split fixtures after joining St Mirren in condemning the announced schedule.

St Mirren will take no action despite being unhappy at being handed a third game away to relegation rivals Falkirk.

But Motherwell chairman John Boyle has promised to pursue "all avenues of protest" against the fixtures.

They face a third match away to Celtic, leading Boyle to call an emergency club board meeting on Monday.

And he has been left unhappy following initial talks with the SPL.

"The board at Motherwell FC are deeply concerned about the outcome of the post-split fixtures and its implications for the sporting and financial position of the club," the Fir Park club said in a statement.

I feel it is a disgrace that this decision has been taken by the SPL

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour

"We are seeking an immediate discussion with the SPL on what has happened and why and have a duty of care to our fans, shareholders and employees to ensure that the apparent inequity we have been asked to suffer is remedied.

"We understand that the SPL cannot please everyone with every fixture decision, but the decision-making process has resulted in a deeply unfair outcome both competitively and financially and we cannot let that stand."

Boyle's side finished in the top six but face a third trip of the season to Celtic Park and the Fir Park club complain that the loss of a home fixture against one of the Old Firm clubs would cost the club £200,000.

Well's chairman is also unhappy that their two remaining home matches will not be played on Saturdays, which he claims will mean a loss in corporate hospitality revenue, with one being on a Sunday afternoon and the other on the night of the General Election.

The club, whose board will meet again on Monday afternoon to consider their options, also claim that there was no meeting of the SPL fixtures committee ahead of Saturday's announcement of the remaining games.

Those were announced on Saturday evening after Hearts' 1-0 victory over Kilmarnock ensured that the Edinburgh side would join Well, Hibernian, Dundee United, Celtic and leaders Rangers in the top six.

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour is angry that his side will face a third trip of the season to Falkirk Stadium.

The Buddies find themselves in the bottom six and, following Saturday's 2-1 defeat away to Falkirk, are now level with the Bairns at the foot of the table, with Kilmarnock just a point ahead.

Gilmour did not think there was any point in mounting a challenge similar to Motherwell's.

"It is a waste of energy," he told BBC Scotland.

However, the St Mirren chairman remains unhappy and stood by his earlier comments made on the club website.

"We are in a fight for SPL survival along with Kilmarnock and Falkirk and it seems grossly unfair that we have been asked to go and visit one of them for a third time this season," he had said.

"Surely the three obvious candidates for relegation should have played each other on equal terms.

"I feel it is a disgrace that this decision has been taken by the SPL and it would appear to put us at a disadvantage in the relegation battle.

"This only goes to highlight one of the deficiencies of having a 12-team league."

The split is just another thing for outsiders to laugh at along with crap pitches, poor quality football and Scottish refs.

Completely agree, the split is an absolute joke. However i cant help but notice your little dig at refs there Paul.
    Scottish refs aint great, by no stretch of the imagination, however you just need to look at decisions in england this weekend to see that it certainly isnt just a scottish problem.

Or are we just hanging on to the paranoia of a few weeks ago?

remind me, how many penalties has Robbie Keane scored since Januaray? ;)

Rasmussen has been hit with a 1 match ban for that elbow attempt against Killie

Rasmussen has been hit with a 1 match ban for that elbow attempt against Killie

Sheeeet.... when does that come into affect? Tomorrow? Should be interesting if Lennon ain't playing Fortune or Samaras!! Boruc up front. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement