Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6090360,00.html
    Rasmussen will miss the Scottish Premier League visit to Dundee United on Sunday 25th April, although he has the right of appeal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Completely agree, the split is an absolute joke. However i cant help but notice your little dig at refs there Paul.
    Scottish refs aint great, by no stretch of the imagination, however you just need to look at decisions in england this weekend to see that it certainly isnt just a scottish problem.

Or are we just hanging on to the paranoia of a few weeks ago?

remind me, how many penalties has Robbie Keane scored since Januaray? ;)

I think you're parnoid about my perceived paranoia. ;)

I think Scottish refs are very poor, especially in recent seasons. I'm not specifically stating that there's been a bias - you seem to be insinuating that I am.

Just like everything else I listed - the problems are across the board. Except the obvious exceptions like the wonderful Celtic Park playing surface. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Dempsey wrote: »

I doubt he will be appealling, it was pretty nasty if the truth be told. One game is lenaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think you're parnoid about my perceived paranoia. ;)

I think Scottish refs are very poor, especially in recent seasons. I'm not specifically stating that there's been a bias - you seem to be insinuating that I am.

Just like everything else I listed - the problems are across the board. Except the obvious exceptions like the wonderful Celtic Park playing surface. :)

Meh, sorry paul was ina bit of a pissy mood earlier, felt like trying a wind up...didnt work!

:D

Brewster wrote: »
    I doubt he will be appealling, it was pretty nasty if the truth be told. One game is lenaint

I remember seeing the match, his ban is fully merited as was the ban for Clancy's stamp. How the officials missed both incidents during the match is the scary thing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Meh, sorry paul was ina bit of a pissy mood earlier, felt like trying a wind up...didnt work!

:D

Well in that case, actually what I meant to say is I'm sick of bloody biased mason refs. :D

Pissy mood? You should try being a Celtic supporter at the moment. :(

I remember seeing the match, his ban is fully merited as was the ban for Clancy's stamp. How the officials missed both incidents during the match is the scary thing

Aye, no complaints from here. I'm just glad we have a choice other than Lenny up front tomorrow night. :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8619954.stm

Any vote to scrap the Scottish Premier League split would not find the required majority, despite its chief executive being in favour of change.

Some clubs have proven time and time again that they are more interested in the business aspect and profiteering than creating the conditions for the sport to thrive. Its a sad sad day for Scottish Football

Gap back to 11 points after Rangers drew last night... Stuttering over the line as they say...

Just had a look through McGeady thread, didn't bother posting in it as I have said my bit on here before, but think there are alot of people out there that don't rate the lad too highly the same as myself. They cant all be Rangers fans lads :) Some stupid comments also, as you tend to get in threads like this from people that know nothing of Scottish football.

For Ireland's sake I hope he becomes the player some of you Celtic fans believe he already is. He has a long long way to go in my opinion. If Celtic were offered anywhere near 8m for him, they would be absolutely stone barking mad not to take it in their current circumstances. Another season of poor McGeady form, and he simply won't attract anything like a fee of 8m. It could be the time to cash in on him.

Who do guys think should be player of the year in Scotland this year?

Who do guys think should be player of the year in Scotland this year?

Kyle Lafferty. He's my hero.

Nobody from Celtic deserves it anyway.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, Lafferty is useless!!

I think the thing is voted on in Feb apparently. Personally, Id like to see David Weir getting it. I think he is the perfect role model for kids and shows what can be achieved when you look after your body and it would be a fitting tribute to him at this stage of his career.

I don't think any Celtic players can realistically feature.

Kris Boyd, David Weir and Steven Davis nominated, along with Andy Webster.

Big David all the way......

Kris Boyd, David Weir and Steven Davis nominated, along with Andy Webster.

Big David all the way......

Was thinking Boyd or Davis actually.

Andy Webster though????

Don't know much about Webster to be honest, haven't seen much of him.

Id like to see Weir get rewarded as I think he is an excellent role model for kids. There are too many big headed footballer players all over the world who are too big for their boots just now. Weir is a humble player and seems a good lad to me and could teach the likes of Lafferty a thing or two about behaving.

Was thinking Boyd or Davis actually.

Andy Webster though????

He's actually had a cracking season at Utd, if im not mistaken hes been their captain for the last few months.
    Not bad for a loan player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

List of nominees for all divisions and young player here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8621078.stm

I would go for Davis for player and Goodwillie or Stokes for young player

Boydchenko and Stokes I reckon.

Personally Weir and Stokes, i think Goodwillie is deserving of a mention though.

Personally Weir and Stokes, i think Goodwillie is deserving of a mention though.

At least there's no doubt which is for Young Player of the Year there EB! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

At least there's no doubt which is for Young Player of the Year there EB! ;)

jaysus, father times grandchildren would barely qualify for the YPOTM

Great win for Celtic today against Hibs having gone behind. Dare I say it, they showed a bit of heart to come back. That should be 2nd place wrapped up now. I don't think I have ever seen Celtic Park as empty. The attendances really have fallen this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Can't understand why Rasmussen isnt starting games? Has has feck all opportunites.

Can't understand why Rasmussen isnt starting games? Has has feck all opportunites.[/QUOTE

100% spot on Coillte Bhoy. He seems everything that Fortune is not. Said it on here many a time. He must be questioning what he has to do to get a game ahead of Fortune.

The attitude of the players seems to be getting better although you can see that some players arent good enough.

N'Guemo shouldnt get a contract imo and our defence struggled with one striker.

This team minus Robbie Keane is terrible tbh and Keane was a board signing not a Mowbray one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This team minus Robbie Keane is terrible tbh and Keane was a board signing not a Mowbray one!!

To be fair, there was no chance of Keane unless it was a board signing.

Good grit from them today, we would have lost that game 2 months ago

• Advertisement

The attitude of the players seems to be getting better although you can see that some players arent good enough.

N'Guemo shouldnt get a contract imo and our defence struggled with one striker.

N'Guemo gets a nose bleed once he goes behind half way line! Some of the Celtic lads on here were saying he was a good player, I said 6 months ago he wasn't good enough. Hes never a Celtic class player, he has no composure whatsoever. Just as well he is on loan so he can be sent packing. Pity same cant be said about Fortune!

To be fair, there was no chance of Keane unless it was a board signing.

Good grit from them today, we would have lost that game 2 months ago

Totally agree. First time I've been excited by a Celtic performance for a long time. The last 20 mins was exactly what has been missing for a long long time. Brave subs by Lennon today, I was getting frustrated at Fortune and wanted him off for Ras. Leaving the 3 of them on (Keane, Fortune and Ras) worked a treat.

Ras and even Samaras are better strikers than Fortune imo. Ras should be starting ahead of Fortune I agree.

Still some basic problems that need serious attention. Wilson simply not good enough to be starting. I missed a lot of games this season - what's with Hinkel losing his place?

N'Guemo sloppy today, and the passing in the first half especially was just dreadful - Wilson, Naylor and N'Guemo in particular. Thought McGeady had a brilliant second half, wonder were all the EPL heads from the McGeady thread watching him today... of course not.

At the back we have major problems. Thompson is not experienced enough to be thrown in at the deep end like he has been. O'Dea is disappointing me I must say - I thought he was much better in seasons past but he's been average at best this season.

Keane could be the new Larsson if he stayed. I don't hold much hope but I'd absolutely love it if he did. If we can't keep him for another year, I just think there's too much work to be done on that squad to have much confidence in a title next season. With him on board it's a whole different story.

Can't understand why Rasmussen isnt starting games? Has has feck all opportunites.[/QUOTE

100% spot on Coillte Bhoy. He seems everything that Fortune is not. Said it on here many a time. He must be questioning what he has to do to get a game ahead of Fortune.

Jesus, i had to re read that a couple of times. Brewster agreeing with me. :P

Jesus, i had to re read that a couple of times. Brewster agreeing with me. :P

I prob agree with you more than you think Coillte Bhoy!! Rasmussen has been treated unfairly. However, his problem is you have to play Keane and then Fortune will continue to get a game to try and justify his high transfer fee. I don't see Fortune coming good. I don't know what the rest of you think? He was a Mowbray signing through and through and I dont honestly know what Celtic are going to do with him in summer now that Mowbray is gone

Think thats the title now for Rangers, had the lost today, they may have got squeeky bums but not now. In fact, I suspect Celtic could struggle up at Tannadice next Sunday. Utd are in great form, and Celtic will have to be at their very best to win and make Rangers win it themselves.

Celtic need a big clearout in the summer, and I think McGeady will be sold to provide funds to buy two or three players. I think Celtic need four or five first team players of genuine quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'm not fully decided about Fortune, I had written him off but I'm beginning to think he may have potential. I don't think he will ever be a 20+ goals a season striker, even in Scotland, but he does work. In the Hibs game he had the vision to dummy a shot letting the ball run onto Keane to tap in where many other strikers would have hit and hoped, he scored the second and he did good work on the right wing to create the third.

He may not be getting the headlines but I'm beginning to think he may be a similar story to Kenny Miller at Celtic, a good player unappreciated by the fans because he wasn't scoring in every other game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

is Kamara injured again or is Lennon easing him back in? not even on the bench on sat

good bit of bottle shown, long may it continue

I'm not fully decided about Fortune, I had written him off but I'm beginning to think he may have potential. I don't think he will ever be a 20+ goals a season striker, even in Scotland, but he does work. In the Hibs game he had the vision to dummy a shot letting the ball run onto Keane to tap in where many other strikers would have hit and hoped, he scored the second and he did good work on the right wing to create the third.

He may not be getting the headlines but I'm beginning to think he may be a similar story to Kenny Miller at Celtic, a good player unappreciated by the fans because he wasn't scoring in every other game.

Fortune will run around the odd time, have no doubts, he is playing for his career next season at Celtic afterall. Dont be kidding yourself on, he is not Celtic class. He will be back to his oldself soon. Never a 4m pound player. Even Samaras can look interested and put in a shift when it suits him on the odd occasion. Kenny Miller will give 110% every time, unlike Fortune. I said it on here before, Miller never should have been sold by Celtic. Some fans didnt take to him because he was an ex Ranger, not because he didn't score every time! Kenny Miller should have been on the POTY shortlist ahead of Boyd in my opinion.

Samaras and Fortune should both be sold/paid off in summer and a creative player must be found to partner Rasmussen, someone in Keane mould!!

Some fans didnt take to him because he was an ex Ranger, not because he didn't score every time!

...blah blah... Strachan wasn't Catholic... blah blah... Celtic minded... blah blah...

You're like a broken record sometimes Brewster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

...blah blah... Strachan wasn't Catholic... blah blah... Celtic minded... blah blah...

Lads would ye get off the fence for crying out loud? Are you honestly trying to tell me that the fact he was an ex Rangers wasn't a factor in some Celtic fans views of him?? Who do you think you are codding!!?

It was exactly the same for some Rangers supporters when he went back to Ibrox but gradually won the doubters over with some fine performances and Im sure the few Rangers lads would back me up on this.

You guys are so absorbed in your own clubs that you cannot see the bigger picture.

My celtic supporting mate heard stories of utter disgust from Celtic fans when Miller signed for no other reason than that he played for Rangers.

ziggy wrote: »

Please see above Ziggy...

Shock horror, some Celtic fans revolt over the signing of an ex Ranger!?! That could never happen, Celtic fans would openly welcome any ex Ranger to Celtic Park everytime!! Celtic supporters dream of the day when they could have 11 ex Rangers in their starting 11!!

Hmmm, see my point?

ziggy wrote: »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2010/04/20/gordon-smith-had-to-pay-price-for-winters-row-insists-livi-chief-gordon-mcdougall-86908-22198353/

He says he left for personal reasons which was a crock of ****e.

The real problem is that the root problems of Scottish Football dont get media attention. You have Peat and had Smith but the problems dont start or stop there. The SPL, SFA, SFL all need to be gutted like fish and merged into one organisation for a start then you have to force club chairmen to accept changes for the good of the game, e.g. removal of the split

Too much self preservation going on and where has that Scottish Football review committee disappeared to? They were suppose to publish their findings in January.....

Speaking of the Devil...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8632793.stm

The Scottish Football Association is "50 years out of date", according to a senior source involved in the Scottish Football Review.

Roll on Monday but it sounds like McLeish is giving people time to baton down the hatches....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think it's perfectly clear who he supports. Which completely distorts his self-created 'Neutral' image.

My celtic supporting mate heard stories of utter disgust from Celtic fans when Miller signed for no other reason than that he played for Rangers.

I'd love to hear those "stories of disgust". All you seem to talk about on here is how Celtic supporters don't accept this guy or that guy because of their background.

Why not get your Celtic supporting mate on here and have him post them, rather than the Chinese whispers we get from him via you?

I'd love to hear those "stories of disgust". All you seem to talk about on here is how Celtic supporters don't accept this guy or that guy because of their background.

Why not get your Celtic supporting mate on here and have him post them, rather than the Chinese whispers we get from him via you?

Paul, thats not fair and you know it. I dont generalise about supporters of either Rangers of Celtic on here. I have been on the record stating my admiration for both sets of supporters in general. However, there is a sectarian element in both camps and there is no denying this. 99% of people that know anything about Scottish football would admit this.

To deny that a section of Celtic fans didnt take to Miller because he played for Rangers is naive in the extreme. I am 100% certain this is true,I heard it said myself and I am equally 100% certain a section of the Rangers support didnt take to him because he played for Celtic. This has also been stated to me in no uncertain terms by a pal of mine.

You guys give the impression a Rangers player could sign for Celtic tomorrow and that there would be a cheering squad there to welcome him!! It just wouldn't happen.

For record, mate is a truck driver and doesnt get a chance to post on here.

Osu wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly clear who he supports. Which completely distorts his self-created 'Neutral' image.

High insightful post Osu... I refer you back to a post by BmcGov a few weeks back. You should read it. I haven't seen you post much on here, so for the avoidance of doubt. Im Irish, I dont hate Rangers like many Irish people, however I don't support Rangers either. I dont hate Celtic, I dont support Celtic. The only time I would actively cheer for each team is is Europe. End of.

Paul, thats not fair and you know it. I dont generalise about supporters of either Rangers of Celtic on here. I have been on the record stating my admiration for both sets of supporters in general. However, there is a sectarian element in both camps and there is no denying this. 99% of people that know anything about Scottish football would admit this.

To deny that a section of Celtic fans didnt take to Miller because he played for Rangers is naive in the extreme. I am 100% certain this is true,I heard it said myself and I am equally 100% certain a section of the Rangers support didnt take to him because he played for Celtic. This has also been stated to me in no uncertain terms by a pal of mine.

You guys give the impression a Rangers player could sign for Celtic tomorrow and that there would be a cheering squad there to welcome him!! It just wouldn't happen.

For record, mate is a truck driver and doesnt get a chance to post on here.

And as per usual, you water down your original point when pulled up on it. "Stories of disgust" is how you referred to some fans reaction to Miller. Not that "fans didn't take to him" etc..

Let's hear the stories of disgust then.

And as per usual, you water down your original point when pulled up on it. "Stories of disgust" is how you referred to some fans reaction to Miller. Not that "fans didn't take to him" etc..

Let's hear the stories of disgust then.

Im not watering down anything Paul. I was out for a few jars after after Miller signed for Celtic, two Celtic supporters were present, one a season ticket holder and they were basically saying they were "disgusted" with the signing of Miller as he was a "Hun B$%%^&d". Also that no "hun etc etc" should be allowed to pull on the famous hoops. I dont have this conversation recorded so I cant prove it happened. I also haven't a clue how many other Celtic fans held such a view, its impossible to say. However, i dont imagine this guy was the only one? Maybe you do?? Paul, as you know, I say things as I see them. I don't see the big issue here. Incidentally, after Miller scored in the Old Firm game against Rangers all was quickly forgotten! The fickle nature of football fans!!

For the avoidance of doubt, are you now accepting some Celtic fans "didnt take to him" because he was an ex Rangers player. If you are, we are not in disagreement then? The point remains the same.

Lol. You heard two blokes drinking in a pub call Miller a hun? FFS Brewster, you have to do better than that!

This:
    My celtic supporting mate heard stories of utter disgust from Celtic fans
    is what I want to hear about, because it reads like it was a serious incident at the stadium the way you've written it.

The two drinkers in a pub slagging off Miller are not really a big issue now let's be honest.

"disgusted" with the signing of Miller as he was a "Hun B$%%^&d". Also that no "hun etc etc" should be allowed to pull on the famous hoops. I dont have this conversation recorded so I cant prove it happened. I also.

Well they were exactly my feelings when he signed. What are you on about brewster anyway?

Well they were exactly my feelings when he signed. What are you on about brewster anyway?

Thanks for that confirmation. Re read back the thread, a poster said Miller wasn't liked because he wasnt very good. I suggested that the reason was more to do with the fact he played for Rangers. Paul doesnt think its possible that some Celtic fans would have an issue with an ex Ranger. I believe its an issue. Coillte Bhoy has proved my point. Lets move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i could only imagine the reaction if Billy Davies got the job!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement