Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8647085.stm
    Rangers have confirmed that the Scottish Premier League club is under investigation by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) over a tax issue.

Looks like someone at Rangers been reading Charles Haugheys' autobiography....

Is it a case of the HMRC being thick or is Rangers caught out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dempsey wrote: »

To be honest I fear that Murray has made a backside of it again but we will just have to wait and see

To be honest I fear that Murray has made a backside of it again but we will just have to wait and see

Ya spoke too soon...

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/poison-pill-that-killed-the-party-1.1023505
    And that is that, even though they are SPL champions, even though the smell of sweet success is still wafting through the air, they remain a club riven with crippling financial worries, torn apart by boardroom in-fighting and very much in need of rescuing.

As the Evening Times reveals today, just three days on from the retention of the SPL championship, the Ibrox club remains no closer to being salvaged, no nearer new ownership and very much within the iron grip of its bankers, Lloyds.

Still no cracked Rangers crest on the Daily Ranger so they arent dead and buried yet.

You'd wonder about the conspiracy theories flying about, e.g. not buying several targets because of Rangers financial position and ultimately letting Rangers have the cash cow. If Rangers were crippled or relegated because of administration, Celtic probably wouldnt sell 50% of their season books, and other financial knock ons.

The goldfish bowl has cracks on it, would the SFA/SPL allow it to break....?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but you'd wonder if both club are making decisions to maintain the duopoly. I'm not saying that they ring each other or anything like that but Celtic hear about Rangers getting pulled in by Lloyds and they shelf several transfer targets over 2 windows and a 3IAR manager walks away after one 'bad season'....

/takes off tin foil hat

Very hard to convince fans to buy season books in a recession when its going straight to the ***** that caused financial meltdown everywhere. Knowing the way that MIH is setup, this rabbit down will be deceptively deep i reckon....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but you'd wonder if both club are making decisions to maintain the duopoly. I'm not saying that they ring each other or anything like that but Celtic hear about Rangers getting pulled in by Lloyds and they shelf several transfer targets over 2 windows and a 3IAR manager walks away after one 'bad season'....

That being the case, and it's not something I completely buy into, it has failed and failed miserably for Celtic. Two seasons without the title against what is a pretty average Rangers side is a big fail.

I do agree that there's probably an underlying tone in the Celtic boardroom of "what's the minimum we can get away with" though - there has to be I suppose. It has kept the banks away from Celtic, but too much of it has kept the title away also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well the dust has settled now, time to see where we stand. What do you all want for next season in terms of the management team and player ins and outs?

I'm undecided about Lennon, but I have to say I'm warming to the idea of him being permanent manager more than when he started. 5 league wins in a row is impressive when you consider the rest of the Mowbray season. Ok, let's just forget about the cup defeat, Celtic managers always seem to have a clanger when they start.

I'm kinda happy that he knows the setup, is a recent player and has been around the club anyway since he stopped playing himself. Smith instilled a bit of guts in the Rangers squad and that was seriously missing with Mowbray. There's no doubt Lennon has injected a bit of that into the squad he's been left with and that's a very important point.

Three wins in the last games would be great and as far as I'm concerned gives the current crop the final chance to show their cards. There's no doubt that more than a few of them need to be let go, and some new blood brought in by a manager (Lenny or otherwise) who can spot a good player rather than just rescuing old pals from previous clubs.

I'd definitely try to keep McGeady and Boruc, but I fear one or both might go anyway either to get the club some cash or for their own reasons. But they are the only two I'd absolutely want to keep. Would like to see Rasmussen around as I think he could be great if he gets a regular game. Not quite sure why he's not being played much. I'd probably keep Samaras tbh (flak jacket on) as I know he has the ability there somewhere, just didn't shine under Mowbray. Fortune I'd really be inclined to punt, but I can't see Celtic getting anything near what they paid for him, so he'll probably be around next season.

Would absolutely love to see Keane around for another season but I'd say the chance are 90-10 against. The only slight possibility would be another loan deal, but I'm not sure Keane would want to spend another season playing in Scotland anyway. Can't really blame him.

Brown needs to go imo. I've said it time after time on here I've just not seen enough of the talent he is reputed to have. Once in a while you see something, we all think "there it is" and for the next line of games, he's poor or average at best. N'Guemo I'm 50-50 on, would probably keep him for next season anyway.

The defence is where we're really in trouble. Hinkel is the only one I'd want around, but I really don't know about the rest, and I don't think McManus should come back. Rogne might be a good option, he's been unlucky with injury and is out for the last games also which doesn't help, but he looked ok when played. Major surgery needed there, and we need a partnership to form there - this season has been all over the place as regards the back 4. That's been half the problem imo. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit sorry to see Loovens, Naylor, Wilson and possibly O'Dea go elsewhere tbh.

Where do we look I wonder? Do we need to take a harder look in Scotland for young players? Premiership rejects? Championship nuggets? One thing for sure is we can't just drop a bunch of unknowns in the squad and hope for the best.

Here's hoping that whatever happens though will result in a title at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

From reading other message boards, including follow follow, it seems that some player's wages were paid out of an Employee's Benefit Trust in order to avoid tax - some £40mstg has been paid in the last number of years, as such no income tax and PRSI (or whatever their equivalent is) has been paid on these monies. HMRC have taken some smaller test cases and won and lost some of them by the looks of it (though they have won the most recent of them) and it seems they are going to go after RFC now as well.

David Edgar (Rangers Supporter Trust) has alluded that there are very troubled times ahead in relation to this very topic, as has Walter Smith himself, and there's not a hope of the club being sold with this hanging over it unless David Murray says that he'll cover whatever the cost of the judgement is... and given the state of his finances and Murray International Holdings that doesn't seem likely.

On a side note Murray International Holdings have delayed their Annual Returns from being published for the last few months - these must now be published by Friday at the latest and will give us a big indication into how much trouble Murray, MIH and Rangers FC are in as Murray has used his money and that of his companies to cover other losses throughout his businesses. For instance the share issue that RFC had a few years ago was underwritten by Murray's companies, not Murray himself, therefore this money is theoretically owed back to MIH. There are some rumours that Rangers might be in debt to a tune of over £120mstg other rumours put it at close to £30mstg - whichever it is Rangers are in deep financial trouble and could even be staring into Administration or, at best, a few seasons of journeymen and kids. Donald Muir, the man from the bank on the Board, is now the most important man at Rangers.

They should thank their lucky stars that they've achieved two in a row on the back of a Celtic team that should have buried them over the last couple of seasons. They should thank their lucky stars that Walter Smith is their manager.

The deck of cards could be about to collapse and all might come tumbling down...

Would the SPL impose point penalties on the club because of the way its being run? Its not like EPL AFAIK. I think the governing bodies of the sport are afraid to be the ones to tip over the club.

You saw it with the split, alot of clubs rather take the gate receipts from playing the old firm 4 times a year than have proper integrity in the sport. The SPL is probably not wanting to send several clubs into a downward spiral indirectly.

The MIH annual report/HMRC problems could panic the bank into putting the club into administration altogether. Could they still get a points deduction this season??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Brewster wrote: »
    Who is Marco Negri when he is at home!? I think with advances in fitness/diets in recent times, my own view would be that outfield players peak around 30-33 now. Players are playing much longer nowadays. Now I am not getting into a long winded debate on this!!

And you call yourself a Rangers fan? :pac:

@ PauloMN

Yea, Lennon is doing well and if he does win the rest of them, he should be a contender. I blame the Ross County result firmly at the players and their stink attitudes which came in with Mowbray. Strachan was strict and a fitness fanatic and it showed in the amount of late goals/results we achieved.

Keeping players attitudes and fitness right is the bulk of the Celtic job as we will generally alway have a better pick of players than the rest of the league so the manager will always be trying to get their mentality right. Too many lazy performances and stink attitudes came into the dressing room thinking that winning titles would be a piece of piss.

Fortune

I bet he isnt the only one, even Keane on his debut and first few games thought that he'd look like Pele up here and he got a massive wakeup call that he'd actually have to play to the best of his ability to get a sniff.

I definitely agree with a clearout and no loan replacements either, people like Braafheid really pissed me off. When the going gets tough, they act unprofessional.

Lennon's attitude towards how the players should think whilst in his dressing room makes me want to give him the job. Mowbray should of had the same demands because he was a Celtic player but didnt. Mark Hughes is probably the best we could hope to attract without spending huge compensation fees but I dont think he's good enough or not much better than what Lennon appears to be.

Youth Cup Final

I hope there is kids playing that show that they should have a place in the squad next season. Everyone keeps going for the EPL reject than give the chance to a youth player ready to step up. Of course the board would love that but so would I, more kids that are hungry to impress and know exactly what the shirt means to fans.

One thing that has really improved Lennon/Mjallby's chances is how they come across in interviews. Fans appreciated every word they have said and even after the Ross County defeat, Lennon came out smelling like roses because he spoke his mind on what happened. They're not trying to feed fans those coached answers and its a +1 for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Is he not proving himself now? If he beats Rangers in style and wins all 8 league matches, should he not be considered at least?

Give me an example of what you consider an experienced manger with a proven track record that would be interested in managing Celtic/Celtic would be willing to pay out big money for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Is he not proving himself now? If he beats Rangers in style and wins all 8 league matches, should he not be considered at least?

Give me an example of what you consider an experienced manger with a proven track record that would be interested in managing Celtic/Celtic would be willing to pay out big money for?

Ive got to agree here, Lennon has taken an absolutely broken side and instilled some real fight in them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

And you call yourself a Rangers fan? :pac:

Not this rubbish again... You are correct, I should have known who Negri was if I was a Rangers supporter. However, Id never heard of him till I googled him, now go figure.. What does this tell you? I have only taken an interest in SPL for past couple of seasons.

One thing that has really improved Lennon/Mjallby's chances is how they come across in interviews. Fans appreciated every word they have said and even after the Ross County defeat, Lennon came out smelling like roses because he spoke his mind on what happened. They're not trying to feed fans those coached answers and its a +1 for them

Totally agree. That used to piss me off about Strachan, I thought his snide way of handling the media was actually a bit disrespectful of the fans, and I think that's a large part of the reason that the fans "fell out" with him. We wanted answers, no cover ups and smart alec remarks.

Mowbray was even worse in that regard. I stopped listening to him after matches as it was just waffle.

I like the candidness of Lennon in that regard. No bull****, answers questions honestly, and everyone - players, fans, the board will know the story with him.

Ziggy - I appreciate your point, and to an extent, I agree - but if Mowbray is the likes of the "experienced manager" we wil end up with, I'd rather take a chance on Lennon.

Article from the Boston Globe in relation to proposed match between us and them.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/2010/04/celtic-rangers_1.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:soccer

Concerts, Little League games and father-and-son days have worked at Fenway Park when the Red Sox are not in town, but the proposed Celtic-Rangers game, which could take place on the hallowed ground in July, is wrong on so many levels.

Monumental interest has been generated among local fans since this story aired last week, the brainchild of Sam Kennedy of the Fenway Sports Group. While Kennedy should be commended for his willingness to bring one of the greatest soccer experiences there is to our doorsteps, the reality is that Gillette Stadium is the only sensible option for such an event.

Few who witness an Old Firm game ever forget it – the pride, passion and banter generated at one of the world's biggest derby contests is second to none. Nothing this writer has experienced in the world of sports has ever compared with the rivalry between these clubs – just think of Game 7 of a Sox-Yankees ALCS, and multiply the intensity and multiply again.

For those who've not seen the happenings at Scotland's most passionate affair, a look (on YouTube) at a rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is sure to whet the appetite.

The fixture is a perfect fit for the Boston area given that both clubs will be in the United States at the time – Celtic scheduled to meet Manchester United in Toronto on July 16 or 17, while Rangers are reportedly locked into games in Miami and New York.

There’s little doubt that an Old Firm derby at Gillette Stadium would sell out, which raises questions initially about the wisdom of settling for Fenway, a venue half the size of Gillette. Sales of tickets for Gillette would see both clubs gross about $1 million each, which after all, is what had them interested in the first place.

Celtic has tens of thousands of fans across America, with some 13 supporters clubs located from coast to coast. The team will draw on that support and the thousands more traveling from Scotland, Ireland, Australia, and many other parts of the globe. Rangers, the newly minted Scottish champions, are also well catered to Stateside, all of which makes a carnival atmosphere and plenty of revenue for the city of Boston a slam dunk.

All roads point to Gillette Stadium for economic reasons, yet the bigger issue is one of security.

Old Firm contests have been associated with some of the worst violence seen in the game (having narrowly escaped the mayhem visited on north Dublin by Rangers fans in the 80's, I can vouch for that).

While it is recognized that not all Rangers fans involve themselves in extracurricular activity, one can't help wonder how the city of Boston will fare out after a Fenway game, should the Rangers faithful feel the need to express themselves, as they did in Manchester in 2008.

Following their team’s defeat in the UEFA Cup final, the blue clad fans left parts of Manchester in shambles and forced the local constabulary to don full riot gear to restore order.

But Rangers have a long history of violence on their travels, dating back decades. Who can forget their pitch invasion in Barcelona in 1972, which earned the club a one-year ban from European competition?

The same fans brought their particular brand of fanaticism to Romania last year, clashing with police who were forced to use tear gas. Back home last December, the unruly ones saw fit to engage the fans of Hibernian, for which one of their number received a five-month jail sentence and 10-year ban from all football stadia.

With Spanish police reporting Rangers violence in 2006 (Villareal) and 2007 (Barcelona), the list goes on and on, right up to Edinburgh last Sunday, where there was unrest between Rangers and Hibernian fans once again after the Blues won the Scottish title.

Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers’ Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure, but it is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths that day (many of whom were children).

Celtic by comparison, can be charged with ... well, not much at all. A green and white clad fan invaded the pitch and struck the Vienna goalkeeper at Old Trafford in 1984, after the club was ordered to replay a European game.

If their archrivals have dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud, it must be said that Celtic fans have done their best to restore the good name. Indeed the same Manchester police who struggled to contain the Rangers fans commended Celtic’s for their behavior in a recent friendly vs. Manchester United.

If any evidence was needed as to the pedigree of supporters of the green and white, it surely comes from the Mayor of Seville, Alfredo Sanchez Monteseirin, who was so moved by Celtic's supporters that he wrote a letter to Glasgow’s Lord Provost Liz Cameron.

Having traveled to that city's Stadio Olimpico for the UEFA Cup final in 2003, Celtic fans, who numbered about 85,000 according to best estimates, just would not fit in the 60,000 seat facility. Thirty-five thousand ticket bearing Scotsmen made it inside the stadium while the remainder watched the game in local bars and parks.

"I would like to send publicly the congratulations of the City of Seville to the fans and, in general, to all the citizens of Glasgow. We hope to see you again in Seville on a similar occasion, when you will surely be luckier on the playing field."

Lord Provost Cameron said: "I am proud and delighted that the Mayor of such a lovely city as Seville has praised the Celtic fans so highly. I was in Seville for the game and saw how the fans created a party atmosphere. The fans were wonderful ambassadors for Glasgow and maintained the city’s good reputation across Europe."

Voicing his concerns about Fenway Park and Rangers fans marauding through Boston afterwards (and in the process giving a big thumbs up to Gillette Stadium), local Celtic Supporters Club chief Billy Ramsey says: “Segregation is going to be a major issue. Maybe if they gave them (Rangers) the bleachers and us the seats it might work.”

All things considered, the assumption must be that the Boston Police will be 'on top of their game' when Celtic and Rangers come to town. The BPD is reserving comment on the game until it is confirmed, I was informed by a department spokesperson on Tuesday.

An historic soccer game at Fenway Park is something we all want, but not at the cost of blood-stained faces, smashed store fronts and police sirens from Kenmore Square to Fanueil Hall. Celtic vs. Rangers at Fenway Park - let's hope it is remembered in years to come for all the right reasons.

• Advertisement

Article from the Boston Globe in relation to proposed match between us and them.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/2010/04/celtic-rangers_1.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:soccer

Concerts, Little League games and father-and-son days have worked at Fenway Park when the Red Sox are not in town, but the proposed Celtic-Rangers game, which could take place on the hallowed ground in July, is wrong on so many levels.

Monumental interest has been generated among local fans since this story aired last week, the brainchild of Sam Kennedy of the Fenway Sports Group. While Kennedy should be commended for his willingness to bring one of the greatest soccer experiences there is to our doorsteps, the reality is that Gillette Stadium is the only sensible option for such an event.

Few who witness an Old Firm game ever forget it – the pride, passion and banter generated at one of the world's biggest derby contests is second to none. Nothing this writer has experienced in the world of sports has ever compared with the rivalry between these clubs – just think of Game 7 of a Sox-Yankees ALCS, and multiply the intensity and multiply again.

For those who've not seen the happenings at Scotland's most passionate affair, a look (on YouTube) at a rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is sure to whet the appetite.

The fixture is a perfect fit for the Boston area given that both clubs will be in the United States at the time – Celtic scheduled to meet Manchester United in Toronto on July 16 or 17, while Rangers are reportedly locked into games in Miami and New York.

There’s little doubt that an Old Firm derby at Gillette Stadium would sell out, which raises questions initially about the wisdom of settling for Fenway, a venue half the size of Gillette. Sales of tickets for Gillette would see both clubs gross about $1 million each, which after all, is what had them interested in the first place.

Celtic has tens of thousands of fans across America, with some 13 supporters clubs located from coast to coast. The team will draw on that support and the thousands more traveling from Scotland, Ireland, Australia, and many other parts of the globe. Rangers, the newly minted Scottish champions, are also well catered to Stateside, all of which makes a carnival atmosphere and plenty of revenue for the city of Boston a slam dunk.

All roads point to Gillette Stadium for economic reasons, yet the bigger issue is one of security.

Old Firm contests have been associated with some of the worst violence seen in the game (having narrowly escaped the mayhem visited on north Dublin by Rangers fans in the 80's, I can vouch for that).

While it is recognized that not all Rangers fans involve themselves in extracurricular activity, one can't help wonder how the city of Boston will fare out after a Fenway game, should the Rangers faithful feel the need to express themselves, as they did in Manchester in 2008.

Following their team’s defeat in the UEFA Cup final, the blue clad fans left parts of Manchester in shambles and forced the local constabulary to don full riot gear to restore order.

But Rangers have a long history of violence on their travels, dating back decades. Who can forget their pitch invasion in Barcelona in 1972, which earned the club a one-year ban from European competition?

The same fans brought their particular brand of fanaticism to Romania last year, clashing with police who were forced to use tear gas. Back home last December, the unruly ones saw fit to engage the fans of Hibernian, for which one of their number received a five-month jail sentence and 10-year ban from all football stadia.

With Spanish police reporting Rangers violence in 2006 (Villareal) and 2007 (Barcelona), the list goes on and on, right up to Edinburgh last Sunday, where there was unrest between Rangers and Hibernian fans once again after the Blues won the Scottish title.

Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers’ Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure, but it is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths that day (many of whom were children).

Celtic by comparison, can be charged with ... well, not much at all. A green and white clad fan invaded the pitch and struck the Vienna goalkeeper at Old Trafford in 1984, after the club was ordered to replay a European game.

If their archrivals have dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud, it must be said that Celtic fans have done their best to restore the good name. Indeed the same Manchester police who struggled to contain the Rangers fans commended Celtic’s for their behavior in a recent friendly vs. Manchester United.

If any evidence was needed as to the pedigree of supporters of the green and white, it surely comes from the Mayor of Seville, Alfredo Sanchez Monteseirin, who was so moved by Celtic's supporters that he wrote a letter to Glasgow’s Lord Provost Liz Cameron.

Having traveled to that city's Stadio Olimpico for the UEFA Cup final in 2003, Celtic fans, who numbered about 85,000 according to best estimates, just would not fit in the 60,000 seat facility. Thirty-five thousand ticket bearing Scotsmen made it inside the stadium while the remainder watched the game in local bars and parks.

"I would like to send publicly the congratulations of the City of Seville to the fans and, in general, to all the citizens of Glasgow. We hope to see you again in Seville on a similar occasion, when you will surely be luckier on the playing field."

Lord Provost Cameron said: "I am proud and delighted that the Mayor of such a lovely city as Seville has praised the Celtic fans so highly. I was in Seville for the game and saw how the fans created a party atmosphere. The fans were wonderful ambassadors for Glasgow and maintained the city’s good reputation across Europe."

Voicing his concerns about Fenway Park and Rangers fans marauding through Boston afterwards (and in the process giving a big thumbs up to Gillette Stadium), local Celtic Supporters Club chief Billy Ramsey says: “Segregation is going to be a major issue. Maybe if they gave them (Rangers) the bleachers and us the seats it might work.”

All things considered, the assumption must be that the Boston Police will be 'on top of their game' when Celtic and Rangers come to town. The BPD is reserving comment on the game until it is confirmed, I was informed by a department spokesperson on Tuesday.

An historic soccer game at Fenway Park is something we all want, but not at the cost of blood-stained faces, smashed store fronts and police sirens from Kenmore Square to Fanueil Hall. Celtic vs. Rangers at Fenway Park - let's hope it is remembered in years to come for all the right reasons.

Two bits of very shoddy journalism there

Two bits of very shoddy journalism there

Have to agree it is very shoddy... but it just shows that there's something deeply wrong at your club when articles like this seem to always appear criticising your support.

Have to agree it is very shoddy... but it just shows that there's something deeply wrong at your club when articles like this seem to always appear criticising your support.

Hhmmm from Boston where they are more Irish than the Irish yes we do have problems I have never denied that but It really astounds me that people like him make out Celtics support is almost pristine

I like Lennon and part of me wants him to be manager. I also agree that the performances have not really improved since Mowbray left though Lenny's comments to the press have been spot on and refreshing. However, losing to Ross County was a disaster...

If we appoint Lenny then have we not learned anything from the appointments of Brady, Barnes/Dalglish and Mowbray? Now is the time for an experienced manager to be put in place, I hope Lenny stays at the club but now is not his time.

• Advertisement

Your normally so quick with the newspaper reports too Bobby....;)
    By Mark Stokes
    Mark Stokes is a longtime observer of international soccer who provides occasional commentary and analysis for the Corner Kicks blog.

In reference to the article entitled 'Celtic-Rangers game should be held at Gillette, not Fenway' of April 28, I wish to convey my most sincere apologies for any distress caused to fans of Glagsow Rangers or Glasgow Celtic, or others, many of whom have written to comment.

In reference to the Ibrox disaster of 1971, it is my belief that no one was responsible for this awful tragedy. It was, and remains, a terrible tragedy and its victims will be in my thoughts and prayers henceforth.

It was my intention through this article to convey to the people of Boston the passions of the respective fans, and for balanced reporting purposes, I had intended taking comments from Rangers fans in a subsequent article.

I remain hopeful that the Old Firm will play in the Boston area this summer so the citizens of Boston can experience the atmosphere which is unique to this fixture.

Editor's note: The article referenced here has been removed because of concerns about the content.

FWIW, many of the accusations pointed at Rangers fans are justified. I have never denied this. However his use of the Ibrox disaster to make a point like that was nothing short of disgusting imo.

Not surprising really is it, Manchester will come back to haunt us for a long time to come.
    Although it should be added that everything went fine in London pre-season, its still going to take a long long time before the English police trust us.

Be interesting if we draw them in the CL though eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Eirebear wrote: »

FWIW, many of the accusations pointed at Rangers fans are justified. I have never denied this. However his use of the Ibrox disaster to make a point like that was nothing short of disgusting imo.

Fair play EB. I must admit i thought bringing the disaster into it was out of order especially considering he obv hadnt a clue what he was on about in that regard.

Eirebear wrote: »

In fairness mate, I did immediately post that the journalism in the article was very shoddy.

On a different note today could be one of the most important days in the history of Rangers FC. Murray International Holdings accounts HAVE to be published today... as such the financial plight of Rangers FC will be laid bear(sic).

In fairness mate, I did immediately post that the journalism in the article was very shoddy.

On a different note today could be one of the most important days in the history of Rangers FC. Murray International Holdings accounts HAVE to be published today... as such the financial plight of Rangers FC will be laid bear(sic).

Im just kiddin' dude dont worry.

In all honesty ive not been following the financial stuff this last couple of weeks, combination of having way too much other stuff going on and sticking my head in the sand!

Brewster,

What in your mind makes a good striker if it's not goals and assists?

Brewster,

What in your mind makes a good striker if it's not goals and assists?

Just had a disappointing weekend in Toulouse with Leinster rugby team. Last thing I need is to open this can of worms again.......! Sorry

I dont play rugby anymore, played outhalf. Why do you ask? Was over supporting the team. Bad weekend for rugby on these shores.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough, and to be honest I couldnt agree with you more. The amount of bandwagoners I have encountered over last 5-10 years is staggering. Thats what happens though when teams are successful. Ive been attending rugby matches for past 25 years and it hurts to have such a poor weekend as the one just gone by when three Irish teams lose semifinals. Thats why I have to laugh when some of the guys on here call me a Rangers supporter when ultimately I couldnt give a rats about them or Celtic! Its only a something to talk about for me through friendships Ive made.....

Anyway, enough of that, this is a Celtic forum, dont want to annoy the natives!! I think Celtic will win 2nite, game prob means more to them than Rangers and it would be nice to end season on something of a high note.

False assertions ??? :confused:

Ah ok was a bit confused there ;)

Ziggy, I dont ever recall winding up any Celtic supporter on this forum following a poor result for Celtic. I dont recall winding Celtic supporters up when they lost the league this year or last year unlike some posters??? Its not in my nature, I praised Walter Smith this year because I felt he did a tremendous job and deserved a special mention and I make no apology for this. As for Strachan stuff, dont want to go there again to be fair. Haven't the energy!

Just had a disappointing weekend in Toulouse with Leinster rugby team. Last thing I need is to open this can of worms again.......! Sorry

Ha Ha!

So you can't answer the question then??? If goals and assists don't make a good striker what does?

• Advertisement

Regarding last night's game...

We had fight and moaning in us which was good to see. However, I didn't think we played that well in a game that would have meant everything to us but not much to Rangers. Celtic had a lot to play for Rangers didn't really have anything bar bragging rights. I was surprised that they dominated the game in spells like they did.

Last night's game was a non-event as such as we relinquished the league long ago without even a whimper. This season has to go down as a massive disappointment and one where we were second best by an unbelievavle amount.

Have to say I'm very disappointed this morning when I think what SHOULD have been. How Walter Smith managed to win the league two years in a row with the squad and the resources he has just sickens me. Failure to strengthen in January '09 and the complaceny in Strachan's last few months in charge which in turn transferred over into the Mowbray months is coming back to haunt us big time.

Ha Ha!

So you can't answer the question then??? If goals and assists don't make a good striker what does?

Miller was the best player on the park last night Bobby in my opinion, others noticed this too, it isnt just me! Do you still think he runs around like a headless chicken?! His movement was top class. He scored a great goal, created a couple more chances for himself by intelligent play. He will be disappointed to hit the post, but angle was tight and he will have been distracted by the penalty shout just before.

Regarding last night's game...

We had fight and moaning in us which was good to see. However, I didn't think we played that well in a game that would have meant everything to us but not much to Rangers. Celtic had a lot to play for Rangers didn't really have anything bar bragging rights. I was surprised that they dominated the game in spells like they did.

Last night's game was a non-event as such as we relinquished the league long ago without even a whimper. This season has to go down as a massive disappointment and one where we were second best by an unbelievavle amount.

Have to say I'm very disappointed this morning when I think what SHOULD have been. How Walter Smith managed to win the league two years in a row with the squad and the resources he has just sickens me. Failure to strengthen in January '09 and the complaceny in Strachan's last few months in charge which in turn transferred over into the Mowbray months is coming back to haunt us big time.

Spot on Bobby, I have said it numerous times on here. The board failing to back Strachan assuming league was tied up in Jan 2009 is what has Celtic where they are. Its too early to say who will win league next year, alot depends on what Rangers do in terms of securing new ownership over summer.

I was delighted to see Robbie Keane bow out with a home win over Rangers in a near full Celtic Park, if its to be his last game. Dont think he had a particularly good game, but he will be able to cherish memory of victory over Rangers nevertheless.

Miller was the best player on the park last night Bobby in my opinion, others noticed this too, it isnt just me! Do you still think he runs around like a headless chicken?! His movement was top class. He scored a great goal, created a couple more chances for himself by intelligent play. He will be disappointed to hit the post, but angle was tight and he will have been distracted by the penalty shout just before.

You don't half type some tripe pal!!!

He probably was the best player on the pitch last night... still a poor striker though.

If he doesn't score many and doesn't create many then how can he be a great striker???

He is a seriously limited striker who scores 1 goal every 3 and a half games in a terrible league and sets up even fewer...

You don't half type some tripe pal!!!

He probably was the best player on the pitch last night... still a poor striker though.

If he doesn't score many and doesn't create many then how can he be a great striker???

He is a seriously limited striker who scores 1 goal every 3 and a half games in a terrible league and sets up even fewer...

He is not a great striker, all I said was he was a very good player and Id stand by this. Any player that has Kenny's movement and intelligence cannot be labelled poor.

I am very impressed with Lennon and what he has done for a group of players that he didnt sign. There was some team spirit last night. My only concern would be could he sustain this over a season when the pressure was on? The league was over when he came in and therefore pressure was off to a degree. Is he good enough tactically when the pressure would be on in big euro games??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He is not a great striker, all I said was he was a very good player and Id stand by this. Any player that has Kenny's movement and intelligence cannot be labelled poor.

I am very impressed with Lennon and what he has done for a group of players that he didnt sign. There was some team spirit last night. My only concern would be could he sustain this over a season when the pressure was on? The league was over when he came in and therefore pressure was off to a degree. Is he good enough tactically when the pressure would be on in big euro games??

i'd say any team Lennon would build would be based around snarling, tough tackling players with a few top class players (for SPL) to make the difference when playing in the SPL. Dont think scottish teams can hope on having too big a role to play in europe to be honest.
    those 2 lads, Hooiveld and Rogne could be the answer to Celtic's defensive woes, i'd say we'll see the back of Kamara, Keane and Samaras this summer which should clear up some decent money to bring in a decent striker or two.
    Plus maloney to come back from injury.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Plus maloney to come back from injury.

I keep forgetting about him. Seems to be constantly injured these days. I'd certainly not bank on him playing any major role in next season, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

Sure will be a big clear out though. I expect we'll see a record number of outs and ins. Would love to see the list that Lenny supposedly gave the board.

I thought Fortune did ok last night, but he still has a terrible tendency to hold onto the ball too long when there's options he could pass to. Happened again a lot last night. Gets caught in possession too much.

Brown was better than of late but still just ok - nothing special. Stupid lunge on Lafferty (even though I enjoyed it) - just cannot control himself sometimes, and is never captain material.

I'd still really only go all out to try to keep Boruc and McGeady - the rest would be see-yas or maybes.

Keep: Boruc, McGeady, Ras (not seen enough yet, but looked good), Rogne (same as Ras), Hinkel (just about a keep)
    Maybe: Samaras, N'Guemo, Crosas, Thompson, Caddis, McCourt, Hooiveld, Zhi, Zaluska, Maloney
    See-ya: Brown, O'Dea, Wilson, Loovens, McGinn, Braafheid, Naylor

Keane and Kamara can stay also. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

At this stage of the season 2 questions are springing up for me,
    do we appoint Lennon?
    do we invoke the clause and sign nguemo

i reckon just for continuity sake i'd be happy to see Lennon, unless Mark Hughes was willing to take the job. If appointed permanently Lennon could immediately go about the clensing of the squad that's needed and get ready for a full preseason.

As for Nguemo, he's shown he's a capable player, at 24 he'll only get better and after this year settling into scotland and with a hatful of midfield partners i'd say we'll see more from him next season.

Also hoping a full preseason will see Rasmussen turn into a 30 goal machine next season...

One interesting thing is Simon Ferry is running amok in League 1 at Swindon, wonder if he'd be worth bringing through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

PauloMN wrote: »
    See-ya: Brown, O'Dea, Wilson, Loovens, McGinn, Braafheid, Naylor

Keane and Kamara can stay also. ;)

Darren is only barely 23. Had to play alongside a fullback at center half for a few games. Was thrown straight in after a loan spell in the Championship. I really don't think he will be sold. Needs to regain his composure at times but looks a decent talent.

Why to McGinn?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement