Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Osu wrote: »
    Darren is only barely 23. Had to play alongside a fullback at center half for a few games. Was thrown straight in after a loan spell in the Championship. I really don't think he will be sold. Needs to regain his composure at times but looks a decent talent.

I know I'm probably being harsh on him, but I thought he was generally poor in the games he played this season after some promising performances under Strachan (AC Milan being one I especially remember).

I just don't think there's time to keep trying him out and hoping for the best. We definitely need a strong centre-back partnership for next season, and it has to be one that is kept as constant as possible. Another season of the messing about we had to endure this season just can't happen. O'Dea's definitely not first team material at this point, maybe he can be used as backup, but being honest I'd not miss him.

As for Lenny, I'm 90% in favour but the lack of experience is a concern. The SPL requires guts as well as anything else though, and Lenny has definitely injected a bit of that into the squad Mowbray left him. Put it this way - I'd rather Lenny than Koeman tbh - Koeman's "experience" in his latter appointments is questionable at best. If it's not to be Lenny, I hope Celtic have someone decent in mind, as I'd be well pissed off if we got another Mowbray type ahead of Lennon.

N'Guemo - if I had to choose, I'd probably keep him. He's looked decent enough to sign tbh, and like said above, I think he's gotten settled now and will improve next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    I know I'm probably being harsh on him, but I thought he was generally poor in the games he played this season after some promising performances under Strachan (AC Milan being one I especially remember).

I just don't think there's time to keep trying him out and hoping for the best. We definitely need a strong centre-back partnership for next season, and it has to be one that is kept as constant as possible. Another season of the messing about we had to endure this season just can't happen. O'Dea's definitely not first team material at this point, maybe he can be used as backup, but being honest I'd not miss him.

As for Lenny, I'm 90% in favour but the lack of experience is a concern. The SPL requires guts as well as anything else though, and Lenny has definitely injected a bit of that into the squad Mowbray left him. Put it this way - I'd rather Lenny than Koeman tbh - Koeman's "experience" in his latter appointments is questionable at best. If it's not to be Lenny, I hope Celtic have someone decent in mind, as I'd be well pissed off if we got another Mowbray type ahead of Lennon.

N'Guemo - if I had to choose, I'd probably keep him. He's looked decent enough to sign tbh, and like said above, I think he's gotten settled now and will improve next season.

Issue is though that Celtic have to find 2m odd to sign him. Are there better midfielders available for 2m, I would argue there is. He is a good player defensively, but in SPL where Celtic will dominate possession in most games I think they would be better to go with more rounded midfielders. N'Guemo offeres nothing in attack, and from this perspective I would not be convinced about him. 2m pounds is helluva lot of money to spend in the SPL in present financial circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

All over for another season, the history books will show we lost the league by 6 points after another win today away to Hearts. Robbie Keane signs off with a goal and a peach from Zheng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

6 points in the end... not bad considering it was a shocker of a season. Lennon has done very well. 8 wins on the bounce in the league after that embarassment v St. Mirren is a great achievement.

Must be bye bye Keane now. Thanks for the goals, pity circumstances couldn't have been different.

According to the rags, Lenny should know this week whether the job is his or not. It'll be very interesting to see who will be talked to, or who has already been talked to. If it ain't going to be Lenny, I hope the board have someone decent in mind - it's have to be a big name anyway. Experience is one thing, knowing how to play in the SPL is another.

Lol @ Caldwell today, still at the bomb scare defending!

Yeah, fair play to Lennon, did a great job. If Mowbray had of been sacked earlier, Lennon could have made a real flight of it.

Im with Ziggy, not sure if he has the experience for the job longterm. Some of those players clearly didnt perform for Mowbray.

Delighted David Weir got football writers player of year. What a phenomenal man. 40 years of age tomorrow and played ever minute of the SPL season. For any player to play every minute of the season would be an achievement but when you are 40 years of age its remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Osu wrote: »
    Darren is only barely 23. Had to play alongside a fullback at center half for a few games. Was thrown straight in after a loan spell in the Championship. I really don't think he will be sold. Needs to regain his composure at times but looks a decent talent.

I seem to be one of the few folks that rates O'Dea - I think he's a good centre half and would like to see him get a long run in the team.

Whatever do you mean Paulo - you obviously don't recognise a good footballer when you see one, unlike our buddy here...
    Brewster wrote: »
    Defense is obviously the priority over attack, no question.... It looks like Caldwell will go, my own views on Caldwell are very clear on this forum. I think Celtic will miss him, im am not altogether sure there are that many defenders better than Caldwell that will want to play in SPL. If Caldwell gets a 3 or 4 year deal at his new club and a decent centre back beside him, watch him go from strength to strength! You read it here first!!

2m on a crock of a centre half when you got rid of a Scottish international player in Caldwell??
    Did you see goal? Much like all the recent OGs to happen Caldwell, it wasn't his fault.
    Well they will be delighted he is gone then. I on the other hand, like some others, think he will be a loss to Celtic.
    My point is, if he as poor as you guys seem to think, he wouldn't be now playing in premiership.
    We were discussing about Caldwell and Robson leaving this week, I don't think Celtic can let players of this quality go...

6 points in the end... not bad considering it was a shocker of a season. Lennon has done very well. 8 wins on the bounce in the league after that embarassment v St. Mirren is a great achievement.

Must be bye bye Keane now. Thanks for the goals, pity circumstances couldn't have been different.

According to the rags, Lenny should know this week whether the job is his or not. It'll be very interesting to see who will be talked to, or who has already been talked to. If it ain't going to be Lenny, I hope the board have someone decent in mind - it's have to be a big name anyway. Experience is one thing, knowing how to play in the SPL is another.

8 wins when the league is over and there's no pressure ain't bad I suppose... but by no means should it be taken that he would have gotten all these wins had the ehat been on.

A terrible capitulation by Celtic this year - disgusted with our season. Time to move on now, big decision time in the Celtic boardroom - do we go the same way we've gone a few times recently and give the job to an inexperienced manager or do we try and get a top class European manager and have Lennon as the fallback guy?

Whatever do you mean Paulo - you obviously don't recognise a good footballer when you see one, unlike our buddy here...

You need more work to do Bobby, if you have the time to go back and get all these quotes!! Yes I saw Caldwell yesterday, got caught wrong side, yes was a red card. Everyone can make mistakes. Should be still be playing for Celtic, well its still an emphatic yes for me. Celtic have missed his leadership among other things. They have also missed Barry Robson since he left.

The Celtic managerial situation is difficult. I think Lennon has done enough to get job, but I dont think he will get it. Just a gut feeling, he has no experience. If he wasnt a Celtic player, he wouldnt stand a chance of gettting job. I dont believe because he was an ex Celtic hero he should get job. Give it to an experienced manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

well, with the board now seemingly only intent on commencing the search for a new manager who can we expect to be realistic candidates?

Lennon
    Levin
    Mark Hughes
    Steve Mclaren
    Paul Lambert
    Curbishly
    Keane

given the choice i'd go for Hughes, Curbishly, Mclaren or Lennon in that order, but i reckon all of whom would do a good job, Keane and Lambert i'd steer clear of.
    bottom line for me is next season we'll have the biggest budget in the SPL, all we need to do is get a competent manager in who can organise the team (especially defence) and get them to play with a will to win at all costs which was lacking badly under Mowbray.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Steve Mclaren

If only to hear his accent change to a Scottish one like it did in Holland, I'd appoint him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWptErAWrmQ

"We are mashive underdogsh..."

To:
    "Aye, that result is pure f**kin' brilliant, but that other team were total pish."

:D

On a serious note, I don't think there's any way he'd leave Twente at the moment. Same for Lambert, he has specifically said he'd not move at the moment (although I know that counts for little).

Levein would be probably the only manager currently in Scotland I think would be suitable. He was always moaning about refs and Rangers, so that's a good start. :D Of course he's only just started with the national squad, would it even be a possibility to get him? I assume there'd be a large compensation to pay.

Keane - absolutely not, please no. The only Keane I'd want near Celtic is the one from Tallaght, not Cork. ;)

Curbishley and Hughes would be decent contenders, both available. Would the SPL be an attractive option to either of those, coupled with the (let's be realistic here) lack of European football and would Celtic splash the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Well there it is thank god, the end of a miserable league campaign and the horrors of the Tony Mowbray era. I really didn't think we could revisit those dark days again but now its over and we may go and lick our wounds. Well done to Lennon in restoring a bit of pride in the Hooped shirt but the frailties of the defence were there to see in the second half of the rangers game. I just could not bring myself to indulge in mad ranting on the message boards because there was so much frustration built up, be it with the team, the tactics, the manager and the board. Here's to a fine summer and the board picking the right manager and supporting him with the funds.
    PS If you want a clear head for the summer don't even think of looking at the possibilities of the champions league draw. :mad: :D

Hail Hail to all.

the possibilities of the champions league draw. :mad: :D

Bet we get Spurs. Assuming we get through the "easy" stages that is. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

well, with the board now seemingly only intent on commencing the search for a new manager who can we expect to be realistic candidates?

Lennon - No experience but has gotten limited players playing to their ability
    Levin - Aint going to leave the Scotland Post, he's actually proud to be there unlike the previous two
    Mark Hughes - Whats he actually achieved?
    Steve Mclaren - Dunno if he can replicate his success
    Paul Lambert - Stated he didnt want the Celtic job ever, he said that well before Mowbray was sacked
    Curbishly - Seriously?
    Keane - I wouldnt trust him with an empty piggy bank

given the choice i'd go for Hughes, Curbishly, Mclaren or Lennon in that order, but i reckon all of whom would do a good job, Keane and Lambert i'd steer clear of.
    bottom line for me is next season we'll have the biggest budget in the SPL, all we need to do is get a competent manager in who can organise the team (especially defence) and get them to play with a will to win at all costs which was lacking badly under Mowbray.

Managing a team in the EPL doesnt mean anything, Mowbray did it, was revered by his fans and was a complete flop here. All of them have questionable CV's and McLaren is the only actual stand out and that speaks volumes of how poor the choice the club has.

If that was really the list of options, I'd give the job to Lennon in the morning tbh. Lawwell will continue to dictate transfer policy a la Director of Football so the managers main function is to manage the squad at his disposal.

Celtic will always have a stronger squad than most of the SPL so the manager's main duty is to motivate the players and have them hungry to win matches , Lennon has demonstrated this quality excellently and for that reason alone, I'd have him ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Dempsey wrote: »
    Managing a team in the EPL doesnt mean anything, Mowbray did it, was revered by his fans and was a complete flop here.

By Here I assume you mean Celtic - to be fair to Mowbray he did a good job with Hibs, certainly with what he started with.

Blackjack wrote: »
    By Here I assume you mean Celtic - to be fair to Mowbray he did a good job with Hibs, certainly with what he started with.

He benefited from the fruits of John Park's work in the youth setup. He did manage the first team very well but the quality of player he was able to pick from was very good but that wasnt because of him imo.

The same way Houston looks like a decent manager but everyone knows that Levein is the reason that DUTD are now a strong setup, he micro managed that club from top to bottom.

Managing a team in the EPL doesnt mean anything, Mowbray did it, was revered by his fans and was a complete flop here. All of them have questionable CV's and McLaren is the only actual stand out and that speaks volumes of how poor the choice the club has.

If that was really the list of options, I'd give the job to Lennon in the morning tbh. Lawwell will continue to dictate transfer policy a la Director of Football so the managers main function is to manage the squad at his disposal.

Celtic will always have a stronger squad than most of the SPL so the manager's main duty is to motivate the players and have them hungry to win matches , Lennon has demonstrated this quality excellently and for that reason alone, I'd have him ahead of the rest.

Great post Dempsey. Well thought out, Lawwell is the boss and he will have finally say on players coming and going unless a very experienced manager joins. So Lennon's job as you say is to motivate players and bar the cup fiasco he has done this well.

Great post Dempsey. Well thought out, Lawwell is the boss and he will have finally say on players coming and going unless a very experienced manager joins. So Lennon's job as you say is to motivate players and bar the cup fiasco he has done this well.

The blame for the cup fiasco firmly lies with the players and their stink attitudes, not the management, team selection or tactics on the day imo

Prime Example

Andreas Hinkel came out and made a right tool of himself

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8661278.stm

Fortune showed what he was thinking when he made the move

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/04/24/marc-antoine-fortune-i-thought-i-d-have-it-easy-in-scotland-but-standard-has-surprised-me-86908-22208350/

Clearly the mindset of some/most Celtic players was unprofessional this season, it shouldnt take the ultra driven mindset of Lennon to get professional players performing but its clearly what is required at the moment.

• Advertisement

The blame for the cup fiasco firmly lies with the players and their stink attitudes, not the management, team selection or tactics on the day imo

Prime Example

Andreas Hinkel came out and made a right tool of himself

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8661278.stm

Fortune showed what he was thinking when he made the move

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/04/24/marc-antoine-fortune-i-thought-i-d-have-it-easy-in-scotland-but-standard-has-surprised-me-86908-22208350/

Clearly the mindset of some/most Celtic players was unprofessional this season, it shouldnt take the ultra driven mindset of Lennon to get professional players performing but its clearly what is required at the moment.

I agree, a professional footballer is a professional footballer and he should take pride in his own performances like we all do as individuals in different ways. You are correct, a manager shouldn't need to motivate a player. Thats why attitude is so important. Id rather an average player with a great attitude than a very talented player with a horrible attitude. Thats why I like Kenny Miller as a player, cos his attitude is spot on 99% of the time. People take this quality in a player for granted, but as you point out, many pros simply do not have it.

Thats why I like Kenny Miller as a player, cos his attitude is spot on 99% of the time. People take this quality in a player for granted, but as you point out, many pros simply do not have it.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, he's still a muck striker.

Well that's McClaren out of the running anyway!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8674543.stm

Well that's McClaren out of the running anyway!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8674543.stm

Never really thought he would come to us PauloMN but looks like he's not frightened of a challenge.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, he's still a muck striker.

Yes Bobby, we hear you, you have made your views known!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes Bobby, we hear you, you have made your views known!!

as have you. Do you never tire of rehashing the same old stuff over and over and over .........

• Advertisement

as have you. Do you never tire of rehashing the same old stuff over and over and over .........

No Coillte Bhoy, myself and Dempsey were discussing importance of player's attitude and I simply quoted Miller as an example of a player who excels in this regard. I wasnt "rehashing" anything to be fair......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No Coillte Bhoy, myself and Dempsey were discussing importance of player's attitude and I simply quoted Miller as an example of a player who excels in this regard. I wasnt "rehashing" anything to be fair......

What??? If it's not Miller, it's caldwell or robson you keep harping on about using any pretence. You're like a dog with a bone. No doubt you will continue in same vein during the summer and into next season.:(

What??? If it's not Miller, it's caldwell or robson you keep harping on about using any pretence. You're like a dog with a bone. No doubt you will continue in same vein during the summer and into next season.:(

A dog with a bone?! Hmmm Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Anybody watching the cup final? Dundee United have just taken the lead with a very well taken goal from Goodwillie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Anybody watching the cup final? Dundee United have just taken the lead with a very well taken goal from Goodwillie
    I expected Goodwillie to put one in......boom boom:p

• Advertisement

No mention of Rangers FC being SCREWED financially???

Taxman looking for anything up to £50million sterling according to reports. RFC intend on fighting it but, even if they are found to owe nothing, surely there's not a hope in hell of the club being sold whilst this hangs over it???

There's seriously bad times ahead for RFC by the looks of things.

Makes it all the worse that we handed the last two league titles to them - we could have buried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

No mention of Rangers FC being SCREWED financially???

Taxman looking for anything up to £50million sterling according to reports. RFC intend on fighting it but, even if they are found to owe nothing, surely there's not a hope in hell of the club being sold whilst this hangs over it???

There's seriously bad times ahead for RFC by the looks of things.

Makes it all the worse that we handed the last two league titles to them - we could have buried them.

RANGERS chiefs have moved to calm fears that a £54million tax bill could plunge them into administration.

The SPL champs are fighting the taxman in a big-money row over a loophole used by several clubs.

It had been claimed Gers faced a £24m 'assessment of liability' which would deepen debts of £31m.

It was also reported that interest and backdated penalties to HMRC could send the tax bills spiralling to a staggering £54m and the debt rocketing over £80m.

Ibrox sources last night insisted, however, the bulk of any tax bill will be laid at the door of Murray Holdings.

If the taxman wins his legal fight, only a fraction of the liability would be due by Gers.

Rangers have reiterated that former chairman Sir David Murray will be vigorously fighting the tax charges.

A club statement read: "We can confirm there is an ongoing query from HMRC which is part of a pending court case.

"On the basis of expert tax advice provided to Rangers, the club is defending the matters raised.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

SunSport understands the Ibrox hierarchy are not fearful of being hit with a bumper bill by the taxman. Chairman Alastair Johnston has confirmed the matter is one being dealt with by Murray Holdings.

He said: "It is not a new issue.

"Tax issues are never clear cut, but all I can say is that we have taken a lot of legal advice on the issue.

"I do not think it should be a material concern for us in the longer term.

"It's something the Murray Group have been dealing with and taking care of."

Gers expect to hear back from Lloyds Bank in the next 72 hours over the budget for next term.

Chief executive Martin Bain held a top-level summit with the club's bankers last week.

He's eager to finalise a business plan which will allow Walter Smith to make plans for the SPL title defence.

Smith has yet to confirm he'll stay as manager amid fears of savage budget cuts and the loss of key players.

Gers have offered out of contract defender Kirk Broadfoot a three-year deal on improved terms.

Ibrox stopper Madjid Bougherra has seen a possible £5million move to Hamburg collapse.

Hamburg sacked their boss Bruno Labbadia three weeks ago and have put transfer moves on hold until a successor is put in place.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...o-sink-us.html

But you didn't ;)

RANGERS chiefs have moved to calm fears that a £54million tax bill could plunge them into administration.

The SPL champs are fighting the taxman in a big-money row over a loophole used by several clubs.

It had been claimed Gers faced a £24m 'assessment of liability' which would deepen debts of £31m.

It was also reported that interest and backdated penalties to HMRC could send the tax bills spiralling to a staggering £54m and the debt rocketing over £80m.

Ibrox sources last night insisted, however, the bulk of any tax bill will be laid at the door of Murray Holdings.

If the taxman wins his legal fight, only a fraction of the liability would be due by Gers.

Rangers have reiterated that former chairman Sir David Murray will be vigorously fighting the tax charges.

A club statement read: "We can confirm there is an ongoing query from HMRC which is part of a pending court case.

"On the basis of expert tax advice provided to Rangers, the club is defending the matters raised.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

SunSport understands the Ibrox hierarchy are not fearful of being hit with a bumper bill by the taxman. Chairman Alastair Johnston has confirmed the matter is one being dealt with by Murray Holdings.

He said: "It is not a new issue.

"Tax issues are never clear cut, but all I can say is that we have taken a lot of legal advice on the issue.

"I do not think it should be a material concern for us in the longer term.

"It's something the Murray Group have been dealing with and taking care of."

Gers expect to hear back from Lloyds Bank in the next 72 hours over the budget for next term.

Chief executive Martin Bain held a top-level summit with the club's bankers last week.

He's eager to finalise a business plan which will allow Walter Smith to make plans for the SPL title defence.

Smith has yet to confirm he'll stay as manager amid fears of savage budget cuts and the loss of key players.

Gers have offered out of contract defender Kirk Broadfoot a three-year deal on improved terms.

Ibrox stopper Madjid Bougherra has seen a possible £5million move to Hamburg collapse.

Hamburg sacked their boss Bruno Labbadia three weeks ago and have put transfer moves on hold until a successor is put in place.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...o-sink-us.html

But you didn't ;)

Does MIH own RFC? This could be the usual smoke and mirrors from Murray.

Whatever it is, it ain't good and probably makes RFC unsellable.

The bank are going to rubber stamp your budget for the year ahead... ouch! Looks like many youth players will get a run out next year... but even that will cost you as you don't own your Youth Team.

Does MIH own RFC? This could be the usual smoke and mirrors from Murray.

Whatever it is, it ain't good and probably makes RFC unsellable.

The bank are going to rubber stamp your budget for the year ahead... ouch! Looks like many youth players will get a run out next year... but even that will cost you as you don't own your Youth Team.

To be honest Bobby There are so many rumours and counter rumours going about I will just wait and see what happens with official announcements

To be honest Bobby There are so many rumours and counter rumours going about I will just wait and see what happens with official announcements

I hear you but surely there's some truth in it because even this being reported in the media is going to damage the chances of RFC being sold and if it wasn't true then surely RFC would sue the papers for damaging ther chances of a sale?

Whatever it is it ain't good news... well it ain't good news for you!!!

Bad news for Celtic's CL hopes for next season. With Fenerbache losing out on Turkish title yesterday, Celtic will not be seeded and now face a massive challenge to even make final qualifying round. This is a result of Scotland's falling coefficient over past two seasons, a subject much discussed on this forum. This is a massive season for SPL teams in Europe, and I would not be too confident to be honest.

I hear you but surely there's some truth in it because even this being reported in the media is going to damage the chances of RFC being sold and if it wasn't true then surely RFC would sue the papers for damaging ther chances of a sale?

Whatever it is it ain't good news... well it ain't good news for you!!!

So far the only thing I have seen is King saying he will wait until this is sorted before moving his bid forward to be fair I hope he pulls out altogether

So far the only thing I have seen is King saying he will wait until this is sorted before moving his bid forward to be fair I hope he pulls out altogether

Is King even someone you'd want involved in RFC???

On a more practical note... is there an argument that if RFC do go into administration it could benefit the club in the long run???

Is King even someone you'd want involved in RFC???

On a more practical note... is there an argument that if RFC do go into administration it could benefit the club in the long run???

Thats why I said I hope he pulls out altogether nothing I read or hear about the man fills me with confidence.
    Of course its an option I am sure it has been looked at but as I said earlier I will wait and see

Thats why I said I hope he pulls out altogether nothing I read or hear about the man fills me with confidence.
    Of course its an option I am sure it has been looked at but as I said earlier I will wait and see

Any idea what the latest with Ellis is?

• Advertisement

Any idea what the latest with Ellis is?

Talks are supposed to be ongoing Bobby but we shouldn't hear anything now until there is something announced on the stock exchange until then its all if's and but's

daily rag is suggesting Steven Reid was at Lennoxtown last night for signing talks, would be a good signing if he stayed fit, therein lies the problem.

he's available on a bosman.

daily rag is suggesting Steven Reid was at Lennoxtown last night for signing talks, would be a good signing if he stayed fit, therein lies the problem.

Even given his injury record I'd be delighted with that signing.

Talks are supposed to be ongoing Bobby but we shouldn't hear anything now until there is something announced on the stock exchange until then its all if's and but's

Got this from Times online...

Alastair Johnston, the Rangers chairman, last night criticised the style and substance of Andrew Ellis’s attempted purchase of the Ibrox club, describing it as “way too prolonged” to prove of any use to the club’s board of directors.

Johnston also expressed dissatisfaction at Ellis’s lack of contact with him. The Ibrox chairman has attempted twice to hold a meeting with the London-based developer about his intentions, to no avail.

Johnston was speaking after returning to his International Management Group base in Cleveland, Ohio, having spent the past six days in Scotland trying to resolve the Rangers ownership question.

On that issue there is not good news. “I don’t see any imminent resolution of a new owner for Rangers, so I believe we are going to have to plan and budget on a ‘no change in ownership’ basis going into next season,” he said.

Johnston, though, reserved his greatest pique and frustration for Ellis, whom he believes has presided over a protracted and overblown period of due diligence, while failing to respond to a number of requests Johnston has made for a meeting.

“The situation regarding Mr Ellis’s proposed buying of Rangers has gone on way too long — so let’s just say I am sceptical about it,” Johnston said. “Not only that, but when Ellis first made his intimations about being interested in buying Rangers back in March, I set up a meeting and was all set to fly out to meet him, when that meeting was abruptly cancelled.

“I find it surprising and perplexing that, for someone supposedly keen to buy the club, Mr Ellis has had no direct contact at all with anyone at Rangers Football Club.

“On this point, two weeks ago, I made another request to hold a meeting with him, knowing that I was going to be in Britain, but I heard nothing back. So I find all of this conduct pretty surprising.”

Asked if there seemed any point in Rangers holding out hope of an Ellis deal, Johnston, while expressing his own doubt on the matter, openly admitted that there was a difference of opinion on the issue between himself and Donald Muir (the enemy within), the corporate firefighter co-opted on to the Rangers board on behalf of the Murray Group.

“Donald Muir (the enemy within) believes that there might be something productive in this [Ellis] deal, but I have to say, I reserve my judgment on that,” Johnston said. “You ask me if I am cynical about it? Let’s just say, once again, that I am sceptical. If there is any imminent development on the Ellis front, I will be very surprised.”

In casting doubt on the nature of the Ellis approach, Johnston said that he did not want to put off any other prospective buyer of Rangers, but that any new owner would have to be able to sustain the club financially in the medium to long-term. The subtext of Johnston’s words was obvious.

“We are not looking for some kind of Roman Abramovich figure to come in — someone who can spend tens of millions on Rangers just like that,” Johnston said. “But what I believe Rangers will need is someone who can prove capable of making a significant difference to the fortunes of the club, beyond the mere buying-selling act. There has to be a means there to be able to allow Rangers to thrive beyond any dependence on the banks.”

Johnston also revealed that Walter Smith, the manager, had held private meetings on his own with Rangers’ bankers last week to get his own take on where the club stand in terms of refinancing for next season.

Johnston said he still hoped that Smith would commit to staying on as manager. “I’d heard Mr Ellis state this and that about Walter through the media — well, Walter is actually at Rangers, and he will decide,” Johnston said with another note of frustration in his voice.

“But, in meeting with the bank, I hope Walter was at least able to talk directly about the type of investment he believes the team will need, and maybe take some reassurance from that meeting.

“We will give Walter time to decide his future. At the moment he has both club and personal issues to resolve.”

Meanwhile, Johnston revealed that he plans to attend the North American Rangers Supporters Association (NARSA) convention in Las Vegas next month to put his own case about the club’s future to supporters.

No thanks, 42 appearances for Blackburn in the previous four seasons we can do without another one on the treatment table.
    Lawwell would want to get in a manager first before getting in players that a new manager may not want.

Even given his injury record I'd be delighted with that signing.

if he does sign i'd say it will mean Nguemo wont be signing and the 1.8m that was needed to sign him would be spent elsewhere...

Steven Reid would want to be on a pay as you play deal, anything else would be ridiculous. Also signing players without a manager in place shows that the board dictate alot in how the football side of things operate, they are business experts, not football experts and shouldnt be dabbling in things they know as much as any fan in the stand does. As said why are they lining up a player that the next manager may not want.

Steven Reid would want to be on a pay as you play deal, anything else would be ridiculous. Also signing players without a manager in place shows that the board dictate alot in how the football side of things operate, they are business experts, not football experts and shouldnt be dabbling in things they know as much as any fan in the stand does. As said why are they lining up a player that the next manager may not want.

I think the fact that he is an Irish International could be influencing Celtic's decision to sign him. They may be trying to curry flavour with the fans, however, Celtic fans are not stupid, they will want more than Steven Reid to get the fans back into Celtic Park.

Bad news for Celtic's CL hopes for next season. With Fenerbache losing out on Turkish title yesterday, Celtic will not be seeded and now face a massive challenge to even make final qualifying round. This is a result of Scotland's falling coefficient over past two seasons, a subject much discussed on this forum. This is a massive season for SPL teams in Europe, and I would not be too confident to be honest.

Doesn't make much difference to be honest. The last round of qualifiers would be against a top side anyway so being seeded or not in the previous round doesn't make a great deal of difference. ANY of the sides we can meet in the CL qualifiers can do a job on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Doesn't make much difference to be honest. The last round of qualifiers would be against a top side anyway so being seeded or not in the previous round doesn't make a great deal of difference. ANY of the sides we can meet in the CL qualifiers can do a job on us.

I think you go straight into the europa cup if you get knocked out in the last round of qualifiers so being seeded helps avoid getting knocked out early.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement