Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Doesn't make much difference to be honest. The last round of qualifiers would be against a top side anyway so being seeded or not in the previous round doesn't make a great deal of difference. ANY of the sides we can meet in the CL qualifiers can do a job on us.

Also has implications for Europa league Paul, they will have to play a qaulifying round for Europa league if they fail at first hurdle im led to believe. Id have been confident Celtic would have got through had they been seeded and got through to Europa league group stages at worst. They are going to face sides such as Ajax, Fenerbache, Zenit possibly in the qualifers whom are going to be very difficult oponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Paddy McCourt just went on one of his runs and scored v St Pauli.

G'wan Paddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Brewster wrote: »
    Also has implications for Europa league Paul, they will have to play a qaulifying round for Europa league if they fail at first hurdle im led to believe. Id have been confident Celtic would have got through had they been seeded and got through to Europa league group stages at worst. They are going to face sides such as Ajax, Fenerbache, Zenit possibly in the qualifers whom are going to be very difficult oponents.

they will have to play a qualifying round in the europa cup if they go out in the 1st round of champions league qualfiers.not being seeded is a huge disadvantage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Oatesy23 wrote: »

G'wan Paddy!

Fair play to him but they are probably administering oxygen to him now :pac:

yabadabado wrote: »
    they will have to play a qualifying round in the europa cup if they go out in the 1st round of champions league qualfiers.not being seeded is a huge disadvantage imo.

Agree, massive blow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Agree, massive blow.

Do you write for a tabloid? Sensationalism at its best. It is not a massive blow. We've seen how even minnows can cause Celtic major problems so tbh maybe it's better that they get to play a side where they won't go in with an expectation to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Oatesy23 wrote: »

G'wan Paddy!

Another class goal from Paddy - he picked the ball up in his own half and scored - there's not many players capable of that even in friendlies and even against relatively porr opposition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Another class goal from Paddy - he picked the ball up in his own half and scored - there's not many players capable of that even in friendlies and even against relatively porr opposition.

Any YouTubes of the goals last night? Sounds like there were plenty of chances in addition to the goals.

Any YouTubes of the goals last night? Sounds like there were plenty of chances in addition to the goals.

Here's Paddy!!!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1r3qt3&s=6

A typical Paddy McCourt effort!

He has the dribbling ability of George Best but unfortunately he also has the fitness/work ethic of him too which doesnt cut it these days. Paddy was just born in the wrong era is all!:pac:

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    A typical Paddy McCourt effort!

He has the dribbling ability of George Best but unfortunately he also has the fitness/work ethic of him too which doesnt cut it these days. Paddy was just born in the wrong era is all!:pac:

I still have man feelings for him though!

I still have man feelings for him though!

George Best or Paddy McCourt? :D

Dempsey wrote: »
    George Best or Paddy McCourt? :D

The bold Paddy of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0519/campbells.html

Bullard would be an excelleny addition if he can stay fit!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0519/campbells.html

Bullard would be an excelleny addition if he can stay fit!

I'm not filled with confidence that Celtic are lining up injury prone players/1 bad season away from retirement. Celtic would want to buy a roll of bubble wrap if they get either Bullard or Reid.

The key thing with these type of players is their mentality, they are attempting to replace the missing ingredient in the dressing room

Did anyone see this challenge on Zaluska? Was it really as bad as decribed here?
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/05/20/st-pauli-star-deniz-naki-apologises-to-celtic-keeper-lukasz-zaluska-for-shock-tackle-86908-22271158/

As for the likes of Reid and Bullard - I'd agree that while they'd be good additions in terms of their experience, skills and work ethos, their injury problems would be a concern. Regardless of the financial situation and pay-as-you-play deals, something we lacked with Mowbray was the consistency of a core team. We definitely need that next season.

Anyway, there's no room on the treatment table with Maloney setting up home there. ;)

Did anyone see this challenge on Zaluska? Was it really as bad as decribed here?
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/05/20/st-pauli-star-deniz-naki-apologises-to-celtic-keeper-lukasz-zaluska-for-shock-tackle-86908-22271158/

As for the likes of Reid and Bullard - I'd agree that while they'd be good additions in terms of their experience, skills and work ethos, their injury problems would be a concern. Regardless of the financial situation and pay-as-you-play deals, something we lacked with Mowbray was the consistency of a core team. We definitely need that next season.

Anyway, there's no room on the treatment table with Maloney setting up home there. ;)

Sounds like the guy was reckless but nothing like the Record are making it out to be. You could write that tripe to any slide tackle ever made

I can imagine the handbags between Maloney, McCourt, Reid & Bullard over who's first on the physio table!

Stephen Reid would clean the 3 of them off with one slap but probably do himself an injury! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Thats why I said I hope he pulls out altogether nothing I read or hear about the man fills me with confidence.
    Of course its an option I am sure it has been looked at but as I said earlier I will wait and see

...and I see he was in court again in SA on other charges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280081/Dave-Kings-Rangers-bid-rocked-new-fraud-charges.html

Kris Boyd to Celtic???

£1m signing on fee and £30k a week is what the Record is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Kris Boyd to Celtic???

Its in the Sun so I will take it with a pinch of salt :p

Kris Boyd to Celtic???

Lol. Especially at the £30k bit.

I'd probably take him over Samaras though, the big concern would be his ability (or lack of) to score in games other than those against the diddy teams.

Probably just some agent's comment that's been twisted into this story. A quiet news day. ;)

As an ex-one-of-them, he'd need to become Catholic though, learn the Soldiers Song and buy into the whole Celtic-minded thing. :mad: Might be a bridge too far. :D

I'd probably take him over Samaras though, the big concern would be his ability (or lack of) to score in games other than those against the diddy teams.

Probably just some agent's comment that's been twisted into this story. A quiet news day. ;)

As an ex-one-of-them, he'd need to become Catholic though, learn the Soldiers Song and buy into the whole Celtic-minded thing. :mad: Might be a bridge too far. :D

Well if that term is good enough for Mr Lennon to use.........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Is Boyd Celtic minded tho :D sorry.

Charlie Nicholas, an ex Celtic player, used the phrase on Sky TV after Celtic's recent Old Firm victory. He said he was Celtic minded. So despite the fact that you think I was talking guff, the phrase is real and does exist gentlemen!

On another point of information, John Hartson recently said Gordon Strachan wasn't accepted at Celtic because he didnt have a Celtic background. So he is only confirming what I was saying last season about a section of Celtic support.

Charlie Nicholas, an ex Celtic player, used the phrase on Sky TV after Celtic's recent Old Firm victory. He said he was Celtic minded. So despite the fact that you think I was talking guff, the phrase is real and does exist gentlemen!

On another point of information, John Hartson recently said Gordon Strachan wasn't accepted at Celtic because he didnt have a Celtic background. So he is only confirming what I was saying last season about a section of Celtic support.

<Sigh>... here we go again. Nobody ever said that the phrase didn't exist. The problem I (and others) have with it is not the phrase, but the assumptions that some people make as to its meaning.

There's a difference between not being accepted because of not having a Celtic background, and not being accepted on a religious (or other race/creed) basis. People were making out that the feelings against Strachan had some sort of religious basis - I was disputing that. But there's nothing wrong with people not accepting a manager due to a lack of history with the club.

By the way, just in case you hadn't guessed - I was joking above about Boyd. Better make that clear in case you think I'm a bigot!

<Sigh>... here we go again. Nobody ever said that the phrase didn't exist. The problem I (and others) have with it is not the phrase, but the assumptions that some people make as to its meaning.

There's a difference between not being accepted because of not having a Celtic background, and not being accepted on a religious (or other race/creed) basis. People were making out that the feelings against Strachan had some sort of religious basis - I was disputing that. But there's nothing wrong with people not accepting a manager due to a lack of history with the club.

By the way, just in case you hadn't guessed - I was joking above about Boyd. Better make that clear in case you think I'm a bigot!

Paul, I dont know if you read the article, but it was quite clear what Hartson was getting at. No set of supporters will turn against a manager simply because he didnt play for them when he was successful!! (2 last 16 appearances in CL the highlight) Strachan was never accepted by some fans according to Hartson. There MUST be something more to this than meets the eye. This can only happen in Scotland to be honest. I have no dounts whatsoever that the phrase Celtic minded DOES include religious connetations for some Celtic supporters, and this is all I ever said on the matter. Its not an issue for you quite clearly, but I have reason to believe it was for some Celtic supporters. I have seen screenshots from messageboards saying as such and have seen some supporters say it to my face also. For what its worth, I dont want to start a longwinded debate on the subject, and I didnt make references to Nicholas/Hartson snippets before for this reason as the debate justs ends up a farce. Celtic are Rangers are both fantastic clubs in my eyes, but they both have sectarian elements in their support. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge of both clubs will readily acknowledge this.

Thats really weird. Why do Celtic continually respond to the tabloid press on certain stories?

Didnt this happen last season also, but can't for the life of me remember the incident involved??

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

Ziggy thats exactly the type of immature response that prevents debate taking place on this forum.... :(:(

Paul, I dont know if you read the article, but it was quite clear what Hartson was getting at. No set of supporters will turn against a manager simply because he didnt play for them when he was successful!! (2 last 16 appearances in CL the highlight) Strachan was never accepted by some fans according to Hartson. There MUST be something more to this than meets the eye. This can only happen in Scotland to be honest. I have no dounts whatsoever that the phrase Celtic minded DOES include religious connetations for some Celtic supporters, and this is all I ever said on the matter. Its not an issue for you quite clearly, but I have reason to believe it was for some Celtic supporters. I have seen screenshots from messageboards saying as such and have seen some supporters say it to my face also. For what its worth, I dont want to start a longwinded debate on the subject, and I didnt make references to Nicholas/Hartson snippets before for this reason as the debate justs ends up a farce. Celtic are Rangers are both fantastic clubs in my eyes, but they both have sectarian elements in their support. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge of both clubs will readily acknowledge this.

That's your Modus Operandi, throw mud but then state the conversation is over before others refute your pathetic jibes. You're mixing Celtic and Rangers up - Celtic are the club that have never cared about someone's religion.

What Strachan said about McGeady on live TV before he took over as manager at Celtic was enough to see him hated by the fans and enough to see him not considered Celtic minded (without any of your childish sectarian sh1te). I have no clue what religion Strachan is nor do I care but the man was on record as saying he had no love for Celtic before he joined the club and his comments about McGeady were verging on racist.

There's a series of books called Celtic Minded written by Dr Joe Bradley, I suggest you read a few of them.

That's your Modus Operandi, throw mud but then state the conversation is over before others refute your pathetic jibes. You're mixing Celtic and Rangers up - Celtic are the club that have never cared about someone's religion.

What Strachan said about McGeady on live TV before he took over as manager at Celtic was enough to see him hated by the fans and enough to see him not considered Celtic minded (without any of your childish sectarian sh1te). I have no clue what religion Strachan is nor do I care but the man was on record as saying he had no love for Celtic before he joined the club and his comments about McGeady were verging on racist.

There's a series of books called Celtic Minded written by Dr Joe Bradley, I suggest you read a few of them.

Your wrong to a certain extent bobby one of the Whites/Kelly's when in charge stated that if he could play an all RC team he would but he felt he had to sign others to get the best at Parkhead I really do wish people would stop making Rangers out as the only bad guys on the block

Your wrong to a certain extent bobby one of the Whites/Kelly's when in charge stated that if he could play an all RC team he would but he felt he had to sign others to get the best at Parkhead I really do wish people would stop making Rangers out as the only bad guys on the block

He could have played a Catholic XI if he had wanted to but he didn't as the fans would never have allowed it, it has never club policy to discriminate against anyone based on religion or nationality and that's why the following is on our jersey's - "It's not his creed or his nationality that counts, its the man himself."

Ha! I don't throw mud and state conversation is over; more rubbish for the landfill. This topic has been done to death on the forum, and we have not reached consensus. All I am saying is there is only so much debate can take place before parties have to agree to disagree and this is one of those topics. You don't believe ANY Celtic supporters disliked Strachan because of his Church of Scotland religion, I on the other hand, like many others do believe this is the case for a section of the Celtic support. Its not an issue for the Celtic fans on here clearly which is good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ha! I don't throw mud and state conversation is over; more rubbish for the landfill. This topic has been done to death on the forum, and we have not reached consensus. All I am saying is there is only so much debate can take place before parties have to agree to disagree and this is one of those topics. You don't believe ANY Celtic supporters disliked Strachan because of his Church of Scotland religion, I on the other hand, like many others do believe this is the case for a section of the Celtic support. Its not an issue for the Celtic fans on here clearly which is good to see.

How can you come on here and say what Celtic fans think?? How on earth would you know? Becuase you have a couple of mates who are fans? Can you link to any posts or comments etc?

He could have played a Catholic XI if he had wanted to but he didn't as the fans would never have allowed it, it has never club policy to discriminate against anyone based on religion or nationality and that's why the following is on our jersey's - "It's not his creed or his nationality that counts, its the man himself."

Don't give me that bobby theres a section of tic fans who would love it I know a fair few to start with.
    Brother Walfrid also made it clear part of the reason behond the club was to keep young RC's out of the clutches of the big bad Protestant boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Nobody gives a sh!t if he is RC, Church of Ireland/ England/ Scotland or Wales.

Why people didn't like Stachan is simple, he was not a nice person, he was always trying to be smart or give miminal answers even when he was interviewed on CelticTV he was rude and that was people didn't like him. He never commited to anything.

Did all Celtic supporter hate Jock Stein because he was not RC......

celticbest wrote: »

Why people didn't like Stachan is simple, he was not a nice person, he was always trying to be smart or give miminal answers even when he was interviewed on CelticTV he was rude and that was people didn't like him. He never commited to anything.

Far too reasonable a post for Brewster to comment on.

celticbest wrote: »

I have heard this being quoted as the reason Celtic fans did not like Strachan, I do not believe this to be the case for all Celtic supporters. Neither does John Hartson for that matter!

• Advertisement

Far too reasonable a post for Brewster to comment on.

Give me a chance to respond! Some of us have work to do also!

Nothing like going over the top is there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nothing like going over the top is there ;)

Thats what Roy Keane said when asked about his tackle on Haaland :pac:

I have heard this being quoted as the reason Celtic fans did not like Strachan, I do not believe this to be the case for all Celtic supporters. Neither does John Hartson for that matter!

So no matter what you read from CELTIC fans in the CELTIC thread (the thread you post mostly on even though you're not a CELTIC fan), you still have to get your "Celtic are as bad as Rangers" posts in.

Might I suggest Follow Follow Brewster, or some other Rangers site might be a better place for you? In fairness you just seem to be winding everyone up here.

Seriously it's amazing what is let away with on this thread. I've seen people getting banned from the Man U and Liverpool threads for farting in the wrong direction. Here we have to put up this persistent trolling. You're good Brewster, I'll give you that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

So no matter what you read from CELTIC fans in the CELTIC thread (the thread you post mostly on even though you're not a CELTIC fan), you still have to get your "Celtic are as bad as Rangers" posts in.

Might I suggest Follow Follow Brewster, or some other Rangers site might be a better place for you? In fairness you just seem to be winding everyone up here.

Seriously it's amazing what is let away with on this thread. I've seen people getting banned from the Man U and Liverpool threads for farting in the wrong direction. Here we have to put up this persistent trolling. You're good Brewster, I'll give you that....

He's a WUM. This thread needs a bit of work. Constant winding up from Brewster. Is their an SPL thread where he can post his remarks or something? It's amazing what he get's away with on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Lads, what's the problem here?

A poster believes that some Celtic fans might not have liked Strachan because of his religious background, is that really so hard to believe? Honestly, there is no team/fanbase/set of players that are above criticism. As long as posters stay within the charter and debate the points they are free to post where ever they choose on the forum.

Any further instances of back seat modding or accusations of trolling on this thread will result in an immediate ban of at least 2 weeks from the forum. If you have an issue with a post report it, if you have an issue with a poster either place them on ignore or just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

<<<<<<< Insert Popcorn Gif Here >>>>>>>>>>

;)

I'd like to hear what you have to say, so if you can't post here, PM us. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement