Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If anyone would like to respond then I'd prefer it was done over PM rather than clogging the thread up with a discussion on moderation/perceived trolling/rights and wrongs.

I'm happy to discuss over PM with anyone that would like to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

New Celtic jersey launched today...

2lt3uyp.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That's muck it has to be said. :( From Carling to Tennents. How many other piss beers can sponsor Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Green and White hoops! Didnt see that one coming! ;)

To be fair ours is just as bad, looks like a 1950's rugby jersey. The Tennents logo is horrible too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

PauloMN wrote: »
    THow many other piss beers can sponsor Celtic?

Next seasons jersey!

attachment.php?attachmentid=115030&d=1274879701

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

To be fair I like our top but prefer it without the logo

2cwqz47.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

To be fair I like our top but prefer it without the logo

2cwqz47.jpg

Your new back 4 look good too.... cheap I'd say, and not much in terms of salary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Your new back 4 look good too.... cheap I'd say, and not much in terms of salary. :)

LOL thats no nice :p

LOL thats no nice :p

Either that or Bougherra has really toned up!

• Advertisement

Were fielding 11 of them along the goal line in the Champions League next season! :D

Eirebear wrote: »
    Were fielding 11 of them along the goal line in the Champions League next season! :D

Surely no, 10 on the goal line and Miller up the other end on his tod. ;)

You'd probably still win the league with them anyway given how pants Celtic are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just wondering if anybody knows if it will be possible to get the new jersey without the sponsor on it without having to go to a Celtic shop or buying it online??

Celtic.jpg

The Tennants Logo must be the cheapest tackiest logo ever put on a Jersey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

McGeady off to Spartak Moscow?

Sky Sports saying 8 to 9 million, that sounds like a good deal to me, we could get a few half decent players for that.

I like McGeady but his final ball is muck 9 out of 10 times, there are better wingers out there. Saying that if he was still at Parkhead next season I wouldn't be to disappointed as he is entertaining when on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

celticbest wrote: »
    Sky Sports saying 8 to 9 million, that sounds like a good deal to me, we could get a few half decent players for that.

I like McGeady but his final ball is muck 9 out of 10 times, there are better wingers out there. Saying that if he was still at Parkhead next season I wouldn't be to disappointed as he is entertaining when on the ball.

Be a great price if Celtic could get anything like 8 or 9 m for McGeady

Great shirts lads! Both very nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I saw a piece linking him with Fulham in the London Metro newspaper.

If Hodgson stays at Fulham it would not be a bad move for Aidens his first move to the English premiership.

I don't know if Fulham would pay the kind of money Celtic would like though !

I see Steven Reid has joined West Brom & the club have until Monday to exercise their option to buy Landry N'Guemo from Nancy ( I hope they don't).....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8707270.stm

• Advertisement

It's looks like Lenny is going to get the job full time......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8711129.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's looks like Lenny is going to get the job full time......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8711129.stm

The votes of confidence from players, ex players, ex managers, ex team mates has been too much to ignore especially from the current squad. I think he's the right man for the job but I wonder how far the board looked for a better option.

He has everything in his locker bar experience but he's shown a glimpse of what he can do during the caretaker spell and I think it will be a minority that would be disappointed with him getting it.

Lennon proved that he could manage Celtic before actually getting the full time job, does that not count for anything?

Barnes & Brady demonstrated zero ability to manage Celtic before getting the job. Just because they couldnt hack it doesnt mean that no manager can possibly manage Celtic without experience.

I read articles of people who were interested in managing Celtic, there was very few of them and they didnt fill me with any confidence.

I think Lennon is a gamble, but any manager is going to be a gamble to some degree. Yes he lacks experience, especially on European scene, I happen to think he will do well domestically as he knows scene very well.

I guess Walter Smith staying at Rangers makes Lennon's task that bit harder. Lennon v McCoist is an altogether different prospect. This may happen for season 2011/12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

/

Transfer Policy at Celtic is dictated by Peter Lawwell, not the manger, this has been the way since MON because of some of the contracts negotiated by MON.

Lennon's main focus will be training & motivation. He'll be involved in the transfer process but the final say will be Lawwell's, make no mistake about it.

The failure in the Ross County match lies with the players and their soft mentality which was a problem Mowbray introduced into the dressing room.

Lennon is the best of a bad bunch of options and the other options have experience but then so did Mowbray...

I'm not going to buy into this mentality that you can only be successful at Celtic if you have experience because plenty of those types failed too. It reminds me of that mentality that Celtic cannot win away from home in Europe, some people believed that it was set in stone.

Experience is good to have but I believe that his character, affinity towards the club and hatred towards loosing will compensate for that. I've no doubt he'll make mistakes but I reckon he'll get far more right. Lawwell needs to get his end of business right or else he'll be hanging another manager out to dry.

Also, they way he talks about football and whats required at Celtic is alot along the lines of what I think so there is that 'bias' in my opinion but when he first got the caretaker role I said, he'd need to win all his games to get his name in the hat. He's had a blip, which I blame the players for, but the way he has conducted himself so far has me fully behind him if/when he gets the job.

• Advertisement

I didnt have a problem with the tactics he used on the day, I didnt have a problem with the team selection. He said he gave them the hair dryer treatment at half time and they didnt respond.

What exactly did Lennon get wrong before kick off or at half time? I didnt see or hear anything he did wrong. Hindsight is a great thing, I'm sure Lennon would have changed things if he could have seen into the future. If I saw errors in his management before or during the match, I'd be saying it but he didnt.

This was a problem that was evident all season, complacency against smaller teams, and it was a problem created by Mowbray and Lawwell by ridding the team of big personalities likes of Robson, Caldwell, Hartley, McManus, Hesselink, McDonald and not properly replacing them.

He doesnt get all the credit for the wins because he doesnt actually play but he's definitely a telling factor in the vast improvement in attitude and performances. Significantly, players only started shouldering responsibility for poor performances (i.e. after the Ross County match) when he came in instead of moaning about referees and 'bad luck'.

So you are putting all the blame at Lennon's door for the players performance against Ross County but not for the performances that got 8 league wins out of 8? If you are waiting for a manager without flaw to come to Celtic, you'll be waiting a long long time.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I didnt have a problem with the tactics he used on the day, I didnt have a problem with the team selection. He said he gave them the hair dryer treatment at half time and they didnt respond.

What exactly did Lennon get wrong before kick off or at half time? I didnt see or hear anything he did wrong. Hindsight is a great thing, I'm sure Lennon would have changed things if he could have seen into the future. If I saw errors in his management before or during the match, I'd be saying it but he didnt.

This was a problem that was evident all season, complacency against smaller teams, and it was a problem created by Mowbray and Lawwell by ridding the team of big personalities likes of Robson, Caldwell, Hartley, McManus, Hesselink, McDonald and not properly replacing them.

He doesnt get all the credit for the wins because he doesnt actually play but he's definitely a telling factor in the vast improvement in attitude and performances. Significantly, players only started shouldering responsibility for poor performances (i.e. after the Ross County match) when he came in instead of moaning about referees and 'bad luck'.

So you are putting all the blame at Lennon's door for the players performance against Ross County but not for the performances that got 8 league wins out of 8? If you are waiting for a manager without flaw to come to Celtic, you'll be waiting a long long time.

That is EXACTLY the problem currently at Celtic. You can deride Robson et al all you like, but they were big players for Celtic and they were never replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    That is EXACTLY the problem currently at Celtic. You can deride Robson et al all you like, but they were big players for Celtic and they were never replaced.

Oh No! You got your bone back i see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sadly these days Top quality managers are not trying to break doors down to get the Celtic Job.

Every managerial appointment is a risk. Who with a proven track record is out there that actually wants the Celtic job.

Best of luck to Neil Lennon if he gets the job.

Am in the Lennon camp myself and will be rooting for him next season. Experience is one thing but Mowbray had that. The SPL in its current state calls for heart and guts more than anything and we severly lacked that with Mowbray this season. Mowbray sitting in the dug out with his head in his hands said it all. His experience counted for nothing in the end.

Unless Celtic could get someone of the calibre of Moyes or O'Neill, then Lennon is the best man for the job. I appreciate Ziggy's reluctance based on the lack of experience, but like the others have said the really good managers are snapped up by EPL or other clubs, and others would probably not want the job. Lennon at least has the ability to get the dressing room on his side and brought a bit of fight back to Celtic.

Lennon v Rangers would do as good a job as anyone can imo with Celtic.

Oh No! You got your bone back i see

Ha ha!!

Joe Ledley up in Glasgow last night for talks with Celtic according to BBC Wales.

Celtic enter race for Bellamy according to assorted sites.

Lenny to be unveiled today according to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ledley heading to Roma for talks, Paddy McCourt linked with Blackpool aswell.

Badabing wrote: »
    Ledley heading to Roma for talks, Paddy McCourt linked with Blackpool aswell.

Do ya want to live in Rome or Glasgow, play in the SPL or Seria A....?

I've been to Glasgow & Rome, Glasgow will seem like a very dull place by comparison. Unless he doesnt want to learn Italian and doesnt want to be far away from family, he'll see the Roma offer as too good to refuse imo.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do ya want to live in Rome or Glasgow, play in the SPL or Seria A....?

I've been to Glasgow & Rome, Glasgow will seem like a very dull place by comparison. Unless he doesnt want to learn Italian and doesnt want to be far away from family, he'll see the Roma offer as too good to refuse imo.

Daily Record are now saying he wasn't in Rome yesterday, but rather back in Cardiff discussing a new offer to remain at the club:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/06/02/cardiff-city-offer-joe-ledley-bumper-deal-to-ko-celtic-bid-86908-22302926/

Newstalk are reporting that Bullard has agreed to a 12 month loan deal:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/sport/bullard-on-the-way-to-celtic/

The silly season is well and truly on us! All we can do is wait and see what happens.

£1.5m offer in for Lawrence according to BBC website:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/default.stm

I think he'd be a decent signing for Celtic.

The silly season is well and truly on us! All we can do is wait and see what happens.

You can say that again.

Celtic will be linked with every player available either cheaply or on a free transfer.

Don't believe any player has signed until you see them holding the Hoops in there hands at a press conference.

Daily Record are now saying he wasn't in Rome yesterday, but rather back in Cardiff discussing a new offer to remain at the club:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/06/02/cardiff-city-offer-joe-ledley-bumper-deal-to-ko-celtic-bid-86908-22302926/

Newstalk are reporting that Bullard has agreed to a 12 month loan deal:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/sport/bullard-on-the-way-to-celtic/

I havent seen Ledley play, whats he like?

Bullard would be a decent loan signing but I've huge concerns over his fitness

£1.5m offer in for Lawrence according to BBC website:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/default.stm

I think he'd be a decent signing for Celtic.

Seen enough of Lawerence under Trappatoni to say that he's a good player, certainly more end product than McGeady even though he doesnt have his speed or flair. He'd be a solid signing imo
    You can say that again.

Celtic will be linked with every player available either cheaply or on a free transfer.

Don't believe any player has signed until you see them holding the Hoops in there hands at a press conference.

Very true, just hope its the right players holding those jerseys!

Already you can see that Lennon is after solid professionals that dont need to be coaxed out of their shells to play ball. Certainly looking forward to the throwback to the MON era, that style does draw the crowd to Celtic Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lawrence and bullard would be 2 very good signings.good solid players .joe ledley would be a good signing aswel but would that be the end og mcgeady?would celtic fans be happy getting ledley in on a free and shipping mcgeady out probably get 6/7million for him.think it would be a good deal .ledley and mcgeady are around the same level imo and the mcgeady transfer fund could be used to strengthen the squad .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Ledley on a free, McGeady out (spurs is his preferred destination) 5-6 million could provide funds for 2 decent bosmans ( Martin Petrov, anyone?)

• Advertisement

From, http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

Sol Campbell very close to signing for Celtic on a 2yr deal although West Ham could highjack this as he really wants to stay in the EPL

Mcgeady will leave as the board have 2 bids of over £8m on the tasble and Aiden has had enough of the fans gettiung on his back.

Boruc and Sammi also away although these stories will not come out until after the WC

£8Million for McGeady - Thank you sir...

Campbell could help sort out the centre of defence and show the young lads waht need to be done when playing in the position, he would be good for the club.

Sammi was most likely to go in the summer in my opinion, I have he has a good world cup & up's he value by a few million.

Boruc I'm not so sure will leave but if he does again we should get a nice few quid for him, we do have Zaluka, although I don't understand why wait until after the World Cup as Poland as not in it??

Spartak Moscow bid €10m for McGeady according to Sky Sports News - thanks... but no thanks.

Celtic say that McGeady is not for sale but everyone knows that every player has a price.

Looks like Celtic are prepared to hold out for a ridiculous offer

Spartak Moscow bid €10m for McGeady according to Sky Sports News - thanks... but no thanks.

Really? given current exchange rates, you would turn down what is around a 9.5m bid for a guy who turns up every now and then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Eirebear wrote: »
    Really? given current exchange rates, you would turn down what is around a 9.5m bid for a guy who turns up every now and then?

Come on now, the € is on the slide, it is more like £8.1m

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement