Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster - "bone lazy" is pretty harsh. "Not very good" is more what I'd go for as regards Samaras.

Fortune - how much time should he be given? I'm not writing him off, I just feel Killen should get a run out now as he was scoring during pre-season and can't do anything else to prove himself. Strachan never played him, I hope Mowbray gives him a chance. Can't be any worse than Samaras. I think Samaras and Fortune should be dropped to the bench for a while and Skippy and Killen start. I know most Celtic fans probably wouldn't agree with my stance on Killen, but we're short of options up front and he deserves a shot.

Regardless of what is spent on a player, if they are not performing, it's time to evaluate their place in the team.

As for O'Dea, couldn't agree more. Definitely deserves more games than he gets. One of his best performances came against AC Milan, so I don't think there's any big game nerves there. Starting him against Arsenal with Loovens would be a good shout.

I didn't see much of pre-season, but what's the deal with Crosas? Mowbray doesn't seem to use him, yet this guy was being touted as the nearest thing Celtic could get to Fabregas. Donati was poor I thought the other night, maybe Crosas should come in for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Brewster - "bone lazy" is pretty harsh. "Not very good" is more what I'd go for as regards Samaras.

Fortune - how much time should he be given? I'm not writing him off, I just feel Killen should get a run out now as he was scoring during pre-season and can't do anything else to prove himself. Strachan never played him, I hope Mowbray gives him a chance. Can't be any worse than Samaras. I think Samaras and Fortune should be dropped to the bench for a while and Skippy and Killen start. I know most Celtic fans probably wouldn't agree with my stance on Killen, but we're short of options up front and he deserves a shot.

Regardless of what is spent on a player, if they are not performing, it's time to evaluate their place in the team.

As for O'Dea, couldn't agree more. Definitely deserves more games than he gets. One of his best performances came against AC Milan, so I don't think there's any big game nerves there. Starting him against Arsenal with Loovens would be a good shout.

I didn't see much of pre-season, but what's the deal with Crosas? Mowbray doesn't seem to use him, yet this guy was being touted as the nearest thing Celtic could get to Fabregas. Donati was poor I thought the other night, maybe Crosas should come in for him?

I think O Dea and Richard Dunne would work very well for Ireland. Id love to see them start in Cyprus, but unfortunate reality is that the lad has to play twice as well as St Ledger does to get noticed simply because he plays in Scotland.

Fair enough re Samaras, I just think the lad has more ability than he shows and players like that infuriate me. Sometimes when he is in mood like last season he was unplayable at times from the Celtic games I saw him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Celtic 2-1 St Johnstone at half time, shocking mistake from Caldwell for St. J's goal, he is having a torrid time recently. Donati actually having a half decent game for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Some excellent forward moves. Most players playing well. I really hope Caldwell is dropped soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Charco wrote: »
    Celtic 2-1 St Johnstone at half time, shocking mistake from Caldwell for St. J's goal, he is having a torrid time recently. Donati actually having a half decent game for a change.

For a change?? Did you not see last week's game V Aberdeen???

• Advertisement

I see Fortuné is off and running lads... Hmm, bit soon to judge him maybe lads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Alright folks, new to the board. Just wanted to give my two cents about the Bhoys this year, and about some of the posts made here;

Agree with the people who're doubting Caldwell - I've never liked the look of him TBH - he always seems to be just one pass from disaster and he's lacking pace.

Hinkel is pretty decent for the SPL, and hopefully we'll hold on to
    him for another while yet, because we would struggle to replace him.

Haven't really seen enough of O' Dea to make a fair judgement, but, from what I have seen, I don't think he's the answer to any defensive problems we may encounter.

Not too impressed with Loovens or Donati - they're just very average, journeyman-type players.......both were poor signings IMHO.

Daniel Fox looks reasonably decent so far, although our trip to The Emirates may tell us more. Hopefully he proves to be a good acquisition because we certainly need him to be.

Dunno about Fortune yet......time will tell, but I've a feeling he's another average-at-best signing - hope I'm wrong though.

N'Gaume looks like a decent signing and can do a job for us in midfield, while Samaras is no Henrik, but he's an OK squad player who'll get a few goals.

McGeady, Brown and McDonald are the essential elements of the team, and Mowbray needs to do everthing in his power to keep them, and try and build a good, strong team around them.......hopefully the talk of Scott and Aiden going to Spurs is mere speculation......loosing them would be a devastating blow to the fans and the team.

Like I say, just my two cents worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Alright folks, new to the board. Just wanted to give my two cents about the Bhoys this year, and about some of the posts made here;

Agree with the people who're doubting Caldwell - I've never liked the look of him TBH - he always seems to be just one pass from disaster and he's lacking pace.

Haven't really seen enough of O' Dea to make a fair judgement, but, from what I have seen, I don't think he's the answer to any defensive problems we may encounter.

Not too impressed with Loovens or Donati - they're just very average, journeyman-type players.......both were poor signings IMHO.

Daniel Fox looks reasonably decent so far, although our trip to The Emirates may tell us more. Hopefully he proves to be a good acquisition because we certainly need him to be.

Dunno about Fortune yet......time will tell, but I've a feeling he's another average-at-best signing - hope I'm wrong though.

N'Gaume looks like a decent signing and can do a job for us in midfield, while Samaras is no Henrik, but he's an OK squad player who'll get a few goals.

McGeady, Brown and McDonald are the essential elements of the team, and Mowbray needs to do everthing in his power to keep them, and try and build a good, strong team around them.......hopefully the talk of Scott and Aiden going to Spurs is mere speculation......loosing them would be a devastating blow to the fans and the team.

Welcome aboard :D Nice post and I agree with most of your analysis although not quite all of it LOL, I also think Boruc has shown signs already that he maybe getting back to he's form of 18 months ago which is great news as an inform Boruc is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Hey A Fitz, yeah losing Brown or McG would be a big blow to us. £10m for Brown would be a nice payday but where would we get a replacement from? Donati has had a reasonable start to the season but he is not Brown material and showed against Arsenal that he is vunerable.

We could have £30m but we're not going to get a better player than Brown to join Celtic on £25k a week before 50% tax. Brown must stay. McGeady must stay. Maloney must stay to pick up his player of the year award at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea what the story is with Crosas, can t find anything on any of the injury sites etc. Im assuming it is an injury and he's not simply out of favour??

Mowbray favours Donati to Crosas.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Mowbray favours Donati to Crosas.

I'll have a word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

A_Fitz wrote: »

From a Bear that posts on here just like to say welcome I am sure we will have some interesting discussions over the coming seasons :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I heard a rumour about a Celtic fan burning his Larsson shirt because he found out that Larsson was a protestant.

Would many Celtic fans hold that against Larsson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Moral here is don't believe all the ****e that you hear

I heard a rumour about a Celtic fan burning his Larsson shirt because he found out that Larsson was a protestant.

Are you for real???

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Haha sure big jock was a protestant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

No, none would.

"If you knew your history" you'd know that religion has never mattered at Celtic. In fact, on the inside of the back of Celtic jersey's the following words are inscribed:

"It's not the creed nor nationality that counts. It's the man himself."

That should answer your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ah, I see we're back to the "why is Brewster posting here" nonsense...:rolleyes:
    If you believe a post is in breach of the charter then you should report it, and move on. If you engage the poster on his/her breach of the charter you risk infraction for back-seat modding.

Examples of back-seat modding include:

* Calling someone a troll
    * Telling a poster not to post in a thread, or they should post elsewhere
    * Telling a poster you have reported their post (effectively accusing them of a breach of the charter)
    * Commenting on a breach of charter

I don't care who you are, or who you support, if this keeps up I will be dealing with it.

I think the fairly ridiculous question has been adequately answered by bobby, so how about we get back to talking football?

• Advertisement

Ah, I see we're back to the "why is Brewster posting here" nonsense...:rolleyes:

I don't care who you are, or who you support, if this keeps up I will be dealing with it.

I think the fairly ridiculous question has been adequately answered by bobby, so how about we get back to talking football?

:confused::confused: Seriously did I miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

:confused::confused: Seriously did I miss something?

A few posts were deleted, nothing serious though.

A few posts were deleted, nothing serious though.

Oh right maybe best I didnt see them ;)

Didn't know that N'Guemo is suspended because the booking against Arsenal was his 2nd. That's us screwed now I think.

Yeah its a blow alright have been really impressed with him so far

Oh right maybe best I didnt see them ;)

Ditto! :)

Didn't know that N'Guemo is suspended because the booking against Arsenal was his 2nd. That's us screwed now I think.

Were you fancying Celtic's chances Eirebhoy before you learned of N'Guemo's suspension?!:p

Brewster wrote: »
    Ditto! :)

One post each deleted i think. Fed up arguing with you anyway...;)

Coillte_Bhoy, Ill drink to that.. That is good news...

• Advertisement

Good question from another site....Name the player who has against Celtic scored for three differnt clubs in the Champions League??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Good question from another site....Name the player who has against Celtic scored for three differnt clubs in the Champions League??

complete stab in the dark off the top of my head...

Titi Henry?

Coillte_Bhoy, Ill drink to that.. That is good news...

Aaawwww aint this nice you two kissing and making up :D:D:p

Aaawwww aint this nice you two kissing and making up :D:D:p

Not exactly making up. I'm just fed up being banned. :mad:

Were you fancying Celtic's chances Eirebhoy before you learned of N'Guemo's suspension?!:p
    Nah instead of 2 or 3 nil I fear 4 or 5.

Nah instead of 2 or 3 nil I fear 4 or 5.

I don't know, I don't think Celtic will get embarrassed. I think it might be closer than some people think but Arsenal to go through overall

• Advertisement

Answer = Gary Caldwell.:mad:

Keane interested in Mac Manus :D. Please let this be true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8221446.stm

Keane interested in Mac Manus :D. Please let this be true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8221446.stm

Would Celtic fans be happy to see McManus go? Is he not your captain? I always assumed he was a big player for Celtic, I remember reading that he was going to miss an Old Firm match once and Celtic fans seemed very disappointed by this stating how they were going to miss him etc???:confused:

Answer = Gary Caldwell.:mad:

Thats a belter...... Who other than Arsenal did he hit the net for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Would Celtic fans be happy to see McManus go?

Anybody who has watched Celtic over the last season or so would answer an empathic YES (now for someone to take Caldwell!)

• Advertisement

Anybody who has watched Celtic over the last season or so would answer an empathic YES (now for someone to take Caldwell!)

Sure you'd have no defenders left at that rate of going! How much is it going to cost to replace them both with better players?? Do Celtic have these funds available to them?

Would Celtic fans be happy to see McManus go? Is he not your captain? I always assumed he was a big player for Celtic, I remember reading that he was going to miss an Old Firm match once and Celtic fans seemed very disappointed by this stating how they were going to miss him etc???:confused:

Personally and I know i'm in the minority here I would not be so quick to dismiss him, yes he was off form last season but so was Boruc(who has on evedince so far returned to form) so in essence last year he had an out of form GK behind him, Gary Caldwell beside him and no Left Back is it any suprise he's form dipped, I for one dont susbscribe to the theory that he became a bad player overnight.

* I await the lashing becasue I have yet to met a fellow Hoop to agree with me on this.

McManus rarely makes mistakes. He was brilliant in both games against Man Utd last season, motm in the 2 for me. But he's usually only as good as his partner. If he's playing beside an ordinary player the centre of defence will be ordinary. If he's playing beside Nesta I think he'd form an excellent partnership. That's McManus.

Currently at Celtic Caldwell isn't good enough for me. Error prone, slow, has failed to dominate many poor strikers and not as good as he thinks he is.

O'Dea and Loovens are still very much unproven for me.

I wouldn't be bothered which centre halves Celtic sell as long as they're buying a replacement but I think McManus would be the best partner for a really good dominant player.

McManus rarely makes mistakes. He was brilliant in both games against Man Utd last season, motm in the 2 for me. But he's usually only as good as his partner. If he's playing beside an ordinary player the centre of defence will be ordinary. If he's playing beside Nesta I think he'd form an excellent partnership. That's McManus.

Currently at Celtic Caldwell isn't good enough for me. Error prone, slow, has failed to dominate many poor strikers and not as good as he thinks he is.

O'Dea and Loovens are still very much unproven for me.

I wouldn't be bothered which centre halves Celtic sell as long as they're buying a replacement but I think McManus would be the best partner for a really good dominant player.

Was Caldwell not player of the year in Scotland last season or am I dreaming?

Was Caldwell not player of the year in Scotland last season or am I dreaming?
    Nah Scott Brown was POTY. Caldwell had a good season.

Nah Scott Brown was POTY. Caldwell had a good season.

Well he was the writers player of the year for some reason :eek:

Well he was the writers player of the year for some reason :eek:

Theres that many awards these days it kinda dilutes the achievement in my eyes. I thought I remember seeing him in a picture with some award.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Might we see Crosas tonight lads? Hope so. Perfect game for him imo.

Please please no Donati. N'Guemo is a blow but I still think we'll do ok, better than the Arse supporters would give credit for.

Let's see what Fortune can do now that he's got a couple of goals under his belt. No Samaras tonight either please.

Do Celtic have these funds available to them?
    Ya, but knowing Keane's record he'd probably pay around €5 million. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

PauloMN wrote: »
    Might we see Crosas tonight lads? Hope so. Perfect game for him imo.

Please please no Donati. N'Guemo is a blow but I still think we'll do ok, better than the Arse supporters would give credit for.

Let's see what Fortune can do now that he's got a couple of goals under his belt. No Samaras tonight either please.

Yeah would like to see Crosas and Brown tonight. Donati was torn apart by Arsenal the last night, could do with night off. I dont see Fortune doing much but here's hoping.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement