Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The consistency of the refereeing decisions is always going to be a problem. I didn't see Celtic game today so can't comment on the alledged Killen dive. Having seen the gif of McGeady now, all I can say what a stupid boy. Its hardly crime of the century now, happens in football matches all the time. However, seeing as the furore Celtic made of the Eduardo dive, how very stupid was McGeady to get involved in something like this. McGeady while an exceptional talent, doesn't strike you as the type of guy that has much going on between the ears. How could the lad be so flipping stupid? Unbelievable. Obviously he was righty carded for incident, and was sent off and will serve a one game ban. Should this be extended to a two game ban? Ill ask the question is there a difference to deceiving the referee by diving outside or inside the box? Should different levels of punishment apply?? I posted on this forum earlier this week that this is going to be a can of worms. Fifa/Uefa are going to have to sit down and work something out here, players need to know the consquences of trying to deceive the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Brewster wrote: »
    players need to know the consquences of trying to deceive the referee.

How far do you want to take this? The player who claims for a throw or corner when it is obvious it came off him or a team mate, is he trying to deceive the referee?

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Never heard that expression and I'm supporting Celtic for nearly 20yrs mate.

What are you doing supporting the bluenoses, as a matter of interest??

Don't mind that "stick to beat RFC" nonsense either - ye're one of the most racist and bigoted teams in football, and a lot of yer supporters are filth

A really stupid and boring generalisation to make Fitz. I was among the Rangers fans at Uefa Cup final as I had won tickets in ballot and you couldn't ask to meet a more decent set of lads and I say this as a born and bred Irishman. Like all football clubs, including Celtic, Rangers have moron fans but generalising like that is way off the mark...

How far do you want to take this? The player who claims for a throw or corner when it is obvious it came off him or a team mate, is he trying to deceive the referee?

Couldnt agree more Dub, I don't have the answers. All I know FIFA need to get on top of this and fast. The Eduardo thing has brought this to a head and clubs need direction on this and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Donati off to Bari, I can't say I'm disappointed, he rarely added to the squad and disappeared far too often in games. Hopefully we will get someone in as a replacement but if not we aren't in much worse of a position than had we kept him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The consistency of the refereeing decisions is always going to be a problem. I didn't see Celtic game today so can't comment on the Killen dive. Having seen the gif of McGeady now, all I can say what a stupid boy. Its hardly crime of the century now, happens in football matches all the time. However, seeing as the furore Celtic made of the Eduardo dive, how very stupid was McGeady to get involved in something like this. McGeady while an exceptional talent, doesn't strike you as the type of guy that has much going on between the ears. How could the lad be so flipping stupid? Unbelievable. Obviously he was righty carded for incident, and was sent off and will serve a one game ban. Should this be extended to a two game ban? Ill ask the question is there a difference to deceiving the referee by diving outside or inside the box? Should different levels of punishment apply?? I posted on this forum earlier this week that this is going to be a can of worms. Fifa/Uefa are going to have to sit down and work something out here, players need to know the consquences of trying to deceive the referee.

Ridiculous post. Celtic made a furore because a player clearly dived and a penalty was awarded against them, effectively ending any chance they had to progress in the CL.

How you can compare the McGeady incident (which is not clear-cut to me from that GIF and I don't see how it can be to anyone tbh) close to the half way line, and which the linesman deemed to be a foul, but which the ref over-ruled and got McGeady sent off for to the Eduardo incident is beyond me. Hardly gaining an advantage by "diving" where he did, is he?

For what it's worth, it doesn't have to be a foul or a free kick. Players can anticipate a challenge and get off balance and end up on the deck, especially at speed. Players can get out of the way of an incoming challenge and end up on the deck. Doesn't mean they are diving, doesn't mean they were fouled.

You though, like the Scottish media tomorrow morning, have the daggers out already simply because it's McGeady, the player they all love to hate.

Interesting also you didn't see the match but still refer to Killen's "dive". :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote: »
    Ridiculous post. Celtic made a furore because a player clearly dived and a penalty was awarded against them, effectively ending any chance they had to progress in the CL.

How you can compare the McGeady incident (which is not clear-cut to me from that GIF and I don't see how it can be to anyone tbh) close to the half way line, and which the linesman deemed to be a foul, but which the ref over-ruled and got McGeady sent off for to the Eduardo incident is beyond me. Hardly gaining an advantage by "diving" where he did, is he?

For what it's worth, it doesn't have to be a foul or a free kick. Players can anticipate a challenge and get off balance and end up on the deck, especially at speed. Players can get out of the way of an incoming challenge and end up on the deck. Doesn't mean they are diving, doesn't mean they were fouled.

You though, like the Scottish media tomorrow morning, have the daggers out already simply because it's McGeady, the player they all love to hate.

Interesting also you didn't see the match but still refer to Killen's "dive". :rolleyes:

Paulo, there is nothing ridiculous about my post. I am not comparing the McGeady incident with the Eduardo incident in terms of the consequences. If you re-read my post all I said was he was stupid to do what he did especially in the light of the week that was in it! From the assistant referees view point I can see why he gave a foul, however, as seen from the GIF there is no contact between defender and McGeady. Now this anticipating the challenge is pushing things IMHO, Arsene tried to excuse Eduardo saying the same thing that he didnt want to hurt his leg! I dont buy it, McGeady took a dive attempting to win a free kick. Its hardly crime of the century, which I always said in my post, so don't see where the big deal is. The fact that McGeady is involved is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. He is a wonderful player, I don't like his attitude personally but thats nothing to do with issue at hand. He needs and deserved to be punished.

Re Killen, I haven't see any clips of this, and your right I should have said alledged dive or something. I edited my post. Point taken, cheers.

There are more clips of McGeady incident on youtube for anyone interested...

From the assistant referees view point I can see why he gave a foul, however, as seen from the GIF there is no contact between defender and McGeady..

The linesman was about 5 feet away. Same for the Hibs fans who can clearly be seen applauding the fact that McGeady was stopped. Hardly dive of the century (if he did dive). How far away was the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

It was pure stupidity from McGeady and Killen who also dived but was not even booked,both players were involved in the game the other night when there was a media backlash the following day about diving and then very next game live on tv they both go out and dive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The linesman was about 5 feet away. Same for the Hibs fans who can clearly be seen applauding the fact that McGeady was stopped. Hardly dive of the century (if he did dive). How far away was the ref?

Im sorry man, but mcgeady dive pure and simple. The rulebook states that if you are caught diving then its a yellow card, which he recieved, making it the second yellow and off he goes. He can have no complaints.

As for the linesman only being a few feet away...how close was the linesman to this?! Did he call it right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There are more clips of McGeady incident on youtube for anyone interested...

Any that show a clear dive?

As for clear-cut sending off opportunities, I thought Bamba was lucky to stay on the pitch given his reaction to his yellow card. You can be certain had that been McGeady or a couple of other Celtic players that he'd have been off.

Such a ****e ref.

Any that show a clear dive?

As for clear-cut sending off opportunities, I thought Bamba was lucky to stay on the pitch given his reaction to his yellow card. You can be certain had that been McGeady or a couple of other Celtic players that he'd have been off.

Such a ****e ref.

Yes absolutely, all show there was no contact. McGeady saw an opportunity to win a free kick and went down. The only angle to look at is when McGeady is running away from camera if you like, like on the gif posted here. Look, lets not get carried away here, its hardly crime of the century or dive or century as Dub in Glasgow has stated. It is however, one of the most stupid things McGeady could have done on a football field yesterday after the week that was in it! Had the Eduardo situation not occured, McGeady may well have gotten away with it. I said earlier in week FIFA and/or UEFA need to sit down, come to a consensus on diving and issue a clear instructions to their member organisations. Could you imagine the furore had McGeady managed to get a free kick and Celtic scored from it?? So, personally, I don't believe there is any difference diving to win a penalty or diving to win a free kick outside box. A consistent level of punishment should apply. I do believe that the punishment given out by the referee at the time of incident should be same as the punishment given post the event following use of TV evidence. Consistency is the key word here. So if ref had seen Eduardo dive and punished him with a yellow card, then surely TV evidence can only award him a yellow card? This would be my main gripe with the current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Thought McGeady was treated very harshly re the sending off...

On first glance, it didn't look like a dive whatsoever, it looks like he was taken out of it. However, from one angle in particular it looks like there was minimal/no contact made with him... but it is quite inconclusive.

So, personally, I don't believe there is any difference diving to win a penalty or diving to win a free kick outside box.

100% agree with you in relation to the need to clamp down on diving and that it has to come from the top.

However, I don't agree with what you have said above... it is clearly far worse to cheat and receive a penalty than cheat and receive a free kick say in the centre of the pitch.

Thought McGeady was treated very harshly re the sending off...

On first glance, it didn't look like a dive whatsoever, it looks like he was taken out of it. However, from one angle in particular it looks like there was minimal/no contact made with him... but it is quite inconclusive.

Bobby, thats the only angle that is important. Incidences can appear different depending on where they are viewed hence assistant ref thought it was a freekick as McGeady was between him and the Hibs player. It is clear from this angle on youtube vidoes there is no contact. As I say its no big deal, I wonder if the same thing had of happened in the Celtic penalty area and a penalty was awarded against Celtic would it be have been so inconclusive??! I doubt it, the lad dived, he has been punished, lets move on. Hiding behind minimal contact/inconclusive rubbish doesn't serve any useful purpose. I am more interested in the powers that be and how they address this. Maybe you correct, maybe it should be a red for diving in box and yellow outside with same punishments applying retrospectively if ref misses incident. Who knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

I don't see what people are complaining about.
    On first glance it looked like a free, but it wasn't, he dived, sending off deserved.
    Stupid thing to do after last week.
    Regarding Mowbray's comments, of course he is going to defend McGeady.
    Manager almost always has to defend his player.

Bobby, thats the only angle that is important. Incidences can appear different depending on where they are viewed hence assistant ref thought it was a freekick as McGeady was between him and the Hibs player.

Is that not a contradiction though?

What's stopping me from saying that the angle where it is clear that McGeady is taken out is the "only angle that's important" in the same way that you say that the one which I think is inconclusive is the only important one?

By the way, did McGeady look for the free kick?

EDIT: With a fresh pair of eyes I've watched the gif again

http://i32.tinypic.com/2njlirr.gif

It is completely inconclusive whether or not McGeady dived. The Hibs player ends up on the ground, if he didn't make contact how did he end up falling on the ground??? Did he take a dive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Did Celtic get a fee for Donati does anyone know?

Edit £1.5 Million.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    Did Celtic get a fee for Donati does anyone know?

Edit £1.5 Million.

£1.5 - 1.7 is what I've been hearing. Wouldn't expect much more really. Mowbray does seem to concerned about using the money to get in a replacement though before the transfer window closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yes absolutely, all show there was no contact. McGeady saw an opportunity to win a free kick and went down.
    The difference here is McGeady didn't cheat. He was clearly about to have his feet taken from under him. Why would he want a freekick so far away from goal if he had an opportunity to fly down the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The difference here is McGeady didn't cheat. He was clearly about to have his feet taken from under him. Why would he want a freekick so far away from goal if he had an opportunity to fly down the wing?

Ah so it was the Hibs players fault for pulling out of the tackle :eek:

...and why wasn't the Hibs player booked for simulation if there was no contact? He ended up on the ground too.

Did McGeady look for a free kick at all?

No evidence has been put forward yet that shows that there was no contact between the players.

"He was clearly about to have his feet taken from under him"

If McGeady stayed up straight he would have been fouled. That's for sure.

• Advertisement

Assuming there was no contact at all - of which I am still not convinced I must say - the Hibs player knew exactly what he was doing, and that is clear from the videos. He went in as if he was going to tackle McGeady, he sees McGeady losing his footing and pulls back to get McGeady booked.

McGeady didn't look for anything imo. As I've said above, no contact does not automatically mean a player was simulating if he goes down. No real gain getting a free kick where he was. Very poor decision imo, but not surprising really given the ref and the player in question.

A throw in to Hibs is all that should have been, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Darren O'Dea has gone to Reading on a short term loan, til Jan 1st, having just signed a 3 year deal with us also.

Assuming there was no contact at all - of which I am still not convinced I must say - the Hibs player knew exactly what he was doing, and that is clear from the videos. He went in as if he was going to tackle McGeady, he sees McGeady losing his footing and pulls back to get McGeady booked.

McGeady didn't look for anything imo. As I've said above, no contact does not automatically mean a player was simulating if he goes down. No real gain getting a free kick where he was. Very poor decision imo, but not surprising really given the ref and the player in question.

A throw in to Hibs is all that should have been, end of.

Ah so again its the Hibs players fault because he pulled out the tackle and poor wee McGeady fell for it and went down like a ton of bricks thats nearly as funny as Mowbrays excuse that he was tired because he had ran 50 yards come guys he went down he has been punished end of story

As for the Hibs player going down you will notice if you watch it when he pulls out of the tackle he attempts to stop and stumbles this is getting silly now nearly as funny as Alan Rough on Real Radio last night saying "McGeady didn't cheat he just tried to con the Ref" :p

Ah so again its the Hibs players fault because he pulled out the tackle and poor wee McGeady fell for it and went down like a ton of bricks thats nearly as funny as Mowbrays excuse that he was tired because he had ran 50 yards come guys he went down he has been punished end of story
    Who's talking about any fault of a Hibs player? Did Paulo not just say he thinks it should have been a Hibs throw.

And why do you think McGeady went down? Why would he choose a freekick in that area of the pitch rather than continuing his run?

Lads, this is getting boring. I have no doubt if someone put a poll on the general soccer thread for the neutrals to decide with a clip of incident and asked a simple question.. ' Did McGeady dive? and a yes or no answer. I would be 99% certain majority would say yes.

Lets talk about deadline day transfers. Anything happening?

• Advertisement

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2528494.0.McGeady_Dive_down_to_Hanlon_non_tackle.php :D

Lads, this is getting boring. I have no doubt if someone put a poll on the general soccer thread for the neutrals to decide with a clip of incident and asked a simple question.. ' Did McGeady dive? and a yes or no answer. I would be 99% certain majority would say yes.
    It depends what a dive is. He certainly went down with little or no force but didn't cheat or gain an advantage.

Anyway, Rothen is joining Rangers. Mowbray has stayed in Glasgow tonight so hopefully he's trying to make a signing.

It depends what a dive is. He certainly went down with little or no force but didn't cheat or gain an advantage.

Anyway, Rothen is joining Rangers. Mowbray has stayed in Glasgow tonight so hopefully he's trying to make a signing.

Doubt that, arent Rangers broke by all accounts? Who is Rothen, heard the name somewhere before I think.

Id expect Mowbray to sign someone. Read about O Dea ok, wtf?! I rate him as one of Celtic's best defender if not the best, why would they let him go on loan? With St Ledger injured he should be playing for us on Saturday night against Cyprus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Rothen is on a season long loan from Paris St. Germain, no fee other than wages I'd imagine.

O'Dea has gone to Reading for 3 months ( I'd hazard a guess to get continuous first team experience).

So, who's on the way out in January, and are we short of cover defensively until then?

Rothen is on a season long loan from Paris St. Germain, no fee other than wages I'd imagine.

O'Dea has gone to Reading for 3 months ( I'd hazard a guess to get continuous first team experience).

So, who's on the way out in January, and are we short of cover defensively until then?

Have to say that was my first thought but its only till January so I imagine Mowbray reckons you have enough in that area.

Rothen on loan for season, seems to be a French Internationalist... Is he any good Broxi bear? Do the Celtic fans on here know of him?

Mate is away from pc, wants to know anymore Celtic deals concluded??

Mate is away from pc, wants to know anymore Celtic deals concluded??

Nope, rumour on the bbc is that they are trying to get Chinese captain Zheng Zhi who is a free agent after leaving Charlton.

Rothen on loan for season, seems to be a French Internationalist... Is he any good Broxi bear? Do the Celtic fans on here know of him?

Well he is a left winger something we needed as far as I can pick up he also fell out with the management at PSG he seems to have had talks with Shalke 04
    ans is meant to have turned down Blackburn
    Played with Monaco when they got to the cl final

Have to say that was my first thought but its only till January so I imagine Mowbray reckons you have enough in that area.

Going by McManus' injury record that would suprise me.

Looking like Zheng Zhi may be the cover. And if he comes in, someone is definitely for the off in January.

Possibly Caldwell. Probably McManus.

• Advertisement

Going by McManus' injury record that would suprise me.

Looking like Zheng Zhi may be the cover. And if he comes in, someone is definitely for the off in January.

Possibly Caldwell. Probably McManus.

Thought he was a midfielder could be totally wrong though won't be the first time :p

Can be used in defence and midfield.

edit: Mobray tried to bring him to West Brom last year so he knows what he's looking for.

The transfer deadline is closed and no confirmation of any signing, are free agent transfer subject to the deadline also?

Just got a scare there, checked the SPL transfer tracker on the bbc and saw:

Out: Celtic (Brown, O'Dea)

Thought Scott Brown was sold at the last minute of the window, I was relieved when I discovered it was Mark Brown to Kilmarnock, forgot about him.

Charco wrote: »
    The transfer deadline is closed and no confirmation of any signing, are free agent transfer subject to the deadline also?

No they can sign outside the window

Charco wrote: »
    Just got a scare there, checked the SPL transfer tracker on the bbc and saw:

Out: Celtic (Brown, O'Dea)

Thought Scott Brown was sold at the last minute of the window, I was relieved when I discovered it was Mark Brown to Kilmarnock, forgot about him.

Feckin' dopes on 98FM earlier (Johnny Lyons) said Scott Brown going to Kilmarnock. Thankfully they said "Celtic's backup keeper Scott Brown" otherwise I'd have crashed the car. :eek:

Brewster, you're some boy you are - getting bored talking about McGeady are you? If you insist on coming on a Celtic thread and banging on about how you think McGeady is a bit thick, a diver etc. etc., then expect some counter argument. Don't complain about getting bored when you get people posting views that are different to yours.

Feckin' dopes on 98FM earlier (Johnny Lyons) said Scott Brown going to Kilmarnock. Thankfully they said "Celtic's backup keeper Scott Brown" otherwise I'd have crashed the car. :eek:

Brewster, you're some boy you are - getting bored talking about McGeady are you? If you insist on coming on a Celtic thread and banging on about how you think McGeady is a bit thick, a diver etc. etc., then expect some counter argument. Don't complain about getting bored when you get people posting views that are different to yours.

Paul, what more was there to say about the incident?! Theres only so much one can say about these things, I believe McGeady dived to gain an advantage, the Celtic fans on this forum have made a counter argument to say he didnt? I personally would get bored repeating the same points over, and am entitled to take this view. If you were looking for a consensus on what non Celtic fans thought of incident, I suggested a poll? McGeady was punished, righty in my opinion and the incident is now closed. As I said a number of times it was hardly the most cynical dive of all time, and I think matter should be laid to rest. Even former Celtic player and pundit Murdo McLeod said he cheated? Its natural Celtic fans will want to defend their player, but sometimes you have to put your hand up and say, look what he did was wrong rather than presenting a number of feeble excuses that no one will believe!

Paul, what more was there to say about the incident?! Theres only so much one can say about these things, I believe McGeady dived to gain an advantage, the Celtic fans on this forum have made a counter argument to say he didnt? I personally would get bored repeating the same points over, and am entitled to take this view. If you were looking for a consensus on what non Celtic fans thought of incident, I suggested a poll? McGeady was punished, righty in my opinion and the incident is now closed. As I said a number of times it was hardly the most cynical dive of all time, and I think matter should be laid to rest. Even former Celtic player and pundit Murdo McLeod said he cheated? Its natural Celtic fans will want to defend their player, but sometimes you have to put your hand up and say, look what he did was wrong rather than presenting a number of feeble excuses that no one will believe!

Hmmmmm,

Which is more of an advantage to Celtic - McGeady being released down the wing after passing his man with ease on a counter attack or a free kick on the touch line on the half way line?

It's a no brainer.

McGeady never even looked for the free.

Hmmmmm,

Which is more of an advantage to Celtic - McGeady being released down the wing after passing his man with ease on a counter attack or a free kick on the touch line on the half way line?

It's a no brainer.

McGeady never even looked for the free.

He also never complained when given the second yellow not like him at all :p

• Advertisement

He also never complained when given the second yellow not like him at all :p

Ill give the last word to you Broxi, I think that says it all. Had he felt agrieved he would have been all over the ref, he knew he had been caught and accepted his punishment...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement