Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    Had he felt agrieved he would have been all over the ref, he knew he had been caught and accepted his punishment...

Oh right, so his guilt is assumed now because he wasn't "all over the ref"? This just gets better and better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Oh right, so his guilt is assumed now because he wasn't "all over the ref"? This just gets better and better. :rolleyes:

Paul, should we set up a poll on the main soccer board???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Paul, should we set up a poll on the main soccer board???

Go ahead if you want, I don't see what it will prove or show other than the majority of people either agreeing with your belief or with mine.

The people who post here regularly have pretty much all stated their beliefs. Posting on the main forum and having the "support your local team" types, the "SPL is ****e" types and the "Celtic fans are all IRA supporting scumbags" types all voting on a poll would be futile imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ive stayed pretty much out of this because there is no talking to Celtic fans at the moment it would seem.
    Some of the viewpoints are quite simply ludicrous.

How come if you are defending McGeady you are allowed to use his reactions
    McGeady never even looked for the free

Yet if you are not defending McGeady and use his reactions to the sending off you get this reply?
    Oh right, so his guilt is assumed now because he wasn't "all over the ref"? This just gets better and better.

Also, can we stick to facts please?
    McGeady being released down the wing after passing his man with ease on a counter attack or a free kick on the touch line on the half way line?
    The foul was NOWHERE near the half way line, and in fact was in what would have been a dangerous crossing position against a side who have struggled for height at the back since the season kicked off.

Tony Mowbray tells us he "skipped 3 challenges and ran 50 yards" he ran a fair distance...but i see no challenges.
    The Hibs player ends up on the ground, if he didn't make contact how did he end up falling on the ground???
    Because he was running at pace and stopped short so that he DIDNT clip McGeady.

There was no contact, McGeady didnt need to go down.
    He was NOT sent off for diving, he recieved a second booking, as per the rules of the game.

Eirebear, it's nothing to do with reactions. Brewster is using how McGeady DIDN'T react to make an assumption. That is ridiculous.

He was yellow-carded for simulation.

And just because there was no contact should NOT mean a player should automatically be accused of diving. There's a big difference between a player trying to deceive the ref by diving, and a player trying to avoid what he perceives to be an incoming challange and falling. The fact that McGeady didn't look for a foul just underlines the fact that the refs decision was not clear cut, and as such should not have been a yellow imo.

• Advertisement

And the fact that McGeady, a player who has shown dissent on multiple occasions in his short career DIDNT react to the referee's decision doesnt tell you anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Jesus H ****ing Christ - why is this thread always a train wreck when I come in to read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Jesus H ****ing Christ - why is this thread always a train wreck when I come in to read it?

Becauase its about Celtic

Eirebear wrote: »
    And the fact that McGeady, a player who has shown dissent on multiple occasions in his short career DIDNT react to the referee's decision doesnt tell you anything?

Yes, it does. It tells me that maybe the player is growing up, and realised that to try and argue the case having received a 2nd yellow would have been a futile exercise and would have landed him in more bother. Scott Brown is a case in point in how a players temprement can change in a short space of time.

Anyway my point remains - to try and use the fact that McGeady didn't blow a gasket at the ref as some sort of evidence that he was in fact cheating - realising he'd been "caught" - is one of the most stupid things I've read on here.

Yes, it does. It tells me that maybe the player is growing up, and realised that to try and argue the case having received a 2nd yellow would have been a futile exercise and would have landed him in more bother. Scott Brown is a case in point in how a players temprement can change in a short space of time.

Anyway my point remains - to try and use the fact that McGeady didn't blow a gasket at the ref as some sort of evidence that he was in fact cheating - realising he'd been "caught" - is one of the most stupid things I've read on here.

Paul, nothing stupid about it at all.. There are Celtic fans out there that admit he dived on the basis of the evidence put in front of them. When someone like Murdo McLeod admits he dived do you guys not accept for one moment that he may be in fact guilty?? If I did do a poll asking the question- Did McGeady dive? and 80% returned a yes answer, some would argue then the results weren't valid because everyone hates Celtic and would obviously vote yes even though the player is an important Irish International who we will all be relying on come Saturday...!!! Mind booooooooooooooooooooooooogling indeed!

I dont believe there is much more to be said about this, for the 2nd time I propose to end the discussion. Surely we can get agreement on this?? TheReckless one, where art thou?! Help!!

• Advertisement

Murdo... lol. It must be true so! :pac:

Murdo sells tabloids Brewster if ye hadn't noticed. Suppose you believe everything you read in those as well, yeah?

Murdo... lol. It must be true so! :pac:

Murdo sells tabloids Brewster if ye hadn't noticed. Suppose you believe everything you read in those as well, yeah?

Well funny then that I heard him say this on radio, not sure what paper he was selling there!

Murdo is a Celtic fan, has looked at the damning evidence and admitted he dived. It would not be easy for a Celtic fan to admit that Celtic's star player had deceived the ref but he had the good grace to say so...

To be honest, the dive was no big deal as I said numerous times on here, the annoying thing about it is the attitude some Celtic fans, not all Ill admit, take afterwards in trying to excuse Aidan.

We'll have to agree to disagree on it. I'm not just sticking up for him because he's a Celtic player - if someone blatantly dived I'd call it a dive, but I honestly don't see it in this case and I genuinely feel it was an incorrect (but unsurprising) call by the ref.

I think some people around here are just a little pissed off that a 10-man Celtic didn't drop points at Easter Road. :D

Amen to that Paulo... You must be getting bored like me also!

I see Zheng Zhi won't be available for Celtic's european campaign as he was not registered in time. I think its a cracking bit of business by Celtic, as China captain the lad must be well known out there, and could be an excellent commercial asset for Celtic. Anyone ever heard of him or seen him play? He was released by Charlton who were his last club...

Overall, I must say I was disappointed with Celtic's transfer business this summer. Its seems they spent any money they had on Fortuné which places the lad under massive pressure. I would have hoped Desmond would have losened purse strings a little and backed Mowbray to a greater extent. Anyone else disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

We'll have to agree to disagree on it. I'm not just sticking up for him because he's a Celtic player - if someone blatantly dived I'd call it a dive, but I honestly don't see it in this case and I genuinely feel it was an incorrect (but unsurprising) call by the ref.

I think some people around here are just a little pissed off that a 10-man Celtic didn't drop points at Easter Road. :D

I would be just as pissed off if there had been 11 Celtic players on the park :p

I see Zheng Zhi won't be available for Celtic's european campaign as he was not registered in time. I think its a cracking bit of business by Celtic, as China captain the lad must be well known out there, and could be an excellent commercial asset for Celtic. Anyone ever heard of him or seen him play? He was released by Charlton who were his last club...

Overall, I must say I was disappointed with Celtic's transfer business this summer. Its seems they spent any money they had on Fortuné which places the lad under massive pressure. I would have hoped Desmond would have losened purse strings a little and backed Mowbray to a greater extent. Anyone else disappointed?

A little, but quite happy at who has been brought in. Would have liked to have seen maybe another striker as Fortune is a replacement for JVoH rather than a new striker, but aside from that, I'm reasonably happy. N'Guemo and Fox both seem to be decent buys, and this new Chinese fellow Zi could work out well also (although I've never seen him, but Mowbray has been an admirer for a while).

Considering we didn't make the CL, I'm happy enough with the new faces and even happier we held onto McGeady, Boruc, Brown and McDonald.

A little, but quite happy at who has been brought in. Would have liked to have seen maybe another striker as Fortune is a replacement for JVoH rather than a new striker, but aside from that, I'm reasonably happy. N'Guemo and Fox both seem to be decent buys, and this new Chinese fellow Zi could work out well also (although I've never seen him, but Mowbray has been an admirer for a while).

Considering we didn't make the CL, I'm happy enough with the new faces and even happier we held onto McGeady, Boruc, Brown and McDonald.

I think thats a good point, holding onto your best players rather than worrying whose coming in... The chinese lad play all over the pitch according to a report I have read. I think the fact that he has experience of British football will be a huge help, its not like he is coming from a Chinese team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

once again

Originally Posted by forum charter
    If you have a problem with a post, report the post. Abusing other posters, telling posters not to post or any other "moderation" of the threads will not be tolerated, no matter how inflammatory. If you aren't discussing the points of a post, don't reply.

Lets keep all future posts on-topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There was no contact, McGeady didnt need to go down.
    If McGeady had stayed on his feet he was going to be fouled. Is that not an important point? Seriously, all my questions have been dodged by the Rangers fans.
    I think the team has improved but squad is probably weakened. Naka is replaced in the team by Maloney. N'Guemo replaces Hartley which is a big improvement. Fortune replaces Vennegoor which could be anything atm. Fox replaces Naylor which is a big improvement.

The Chinese guy was voted 5th in the top 50 players in England outside of the premiership by 4-4-2 magazine last year so I have hopes for him.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    If McGeady had stayed on his feet he was going to be fouled. Is that not an important point? Seriously, all my questions have been dodged by the Rangers fans.

Was he? Take the bumblebee tinted glasses of Eirebhoy, the video quite clearly shows the Hibs player stopping well short of McGeady.

McGeady may have THOUGHT he was going to be fouled, but as far as i know we havnt brought in the legislation where Thought Crimes are punished in football yet.

Plain and simple, there was no contact.
    The Hibs player stopped short of McGeady, therefore there was not even any intent.

If Boruc hadnt pulled out of the challenge then Eduardo was going to be fouled, how is this any different?

I think the team has improved but squad is probably weakened. Naka is replaced in the team by Maloney. N'Guemo replaces Hartley which is a big improvement. Fortune replaces Vennegoor which could be anything atm. Fox replaces Naylor which is a big improvement.

The Chinese guy was voted 5th in the top 50 players in England outside of the premiership by 4-4-2 magazine last year so I have hopes for him.

Eirebhoy, I don't think this has anything to do with the Rangers fans to be fair. Of course, many Rangers fans could be accused of bias when viewing the incident, much to the same way Celtic fans are open to criticism in defending McGeady. ANY football supporter I spoke too who had seen clip, mostly of English premiership teams all said on mass he dived. Look, I had this detailed debate with Paulo on this forum as you have probably read and debating issue with you probably won't bring any more consenses to debate! I did read big Davie Weir, the Rangers captain said McGeady isn' that sort of player, so hats off to Davie. That is his view, and he is entitled to it much like everyone else. I personally think the whole thing how been blown out of all proportion but there you go, these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

He didn't want to renew his contract as he didn't want to play League 1 football. Charlton probably weren't in a position to keep his contract on, given their financial situation. Not that his contract would have been that expensive, but they would probably not be willing to try and sweeten it to convince him to stay.

Mobray has a great eye for a player, and I think Fortuné is adding a hell of a lot to Celtic's play. He was never signed as the target man, He's there to help create opportunities, and he's certainly doing that. I think there's alot of flack going his way because Skippy has been under par so far this season and people are reluctant to get on his back.

If skippy want to move on this year (which I imagine he does) he's going to have to up his performances to win the move he believes he's worth.

Was he? Take the bumblebee tinted glasses of Eirebhoy, the video quite clearly shows the Hibs player stopping well short of McGeady.
    There really is no point in debating it if you think he was well short of McGeady. It's hard to tell whether he touched him in the end but it certainly obvious that he was very close and McGeady's feet move out of the way of the player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ETBbgGGXg
    If Boruc hadnt pulled out of the challenge then Eduardo was going to be fouled, how is this any different?
    I didn't say anything about the player pulling out of it. I said if McGeady didn't adjust his feet and go down he was going to be taken down. Big difference. McGeady dodged the tackle instinctively imo. He dived instinctively if you want to call it that. Didn't cheat though.

You're trying to make out like McGeady put a lot of thought into it. It was instinctive. It probably explains why McGeady didn't complain but he's not that type of player.

I don't really care about the ban. It's the reputation. He didn't try to cheat. That's for sure.

You're trying to make out like McGeady put a lot of thought into it. It was instinctive. It probably explains why McGeady didn't complain but he's not that type of player.

No im not, ive already said, McGeady thought he was going to get fouled...he anticipate that the Hibs player would go through him.
    He didnt have particularly long to think about it, it was as instinctive as knocking the ball past him and running after it.

Doesnt take away from the fact that he didnt get fouled however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

McGeady may have THOUGHT he was going to be fouled, but as far as i know we havnt brought in the legislation where Thought Crimes are punished in football yet.

Plain and simple, there was no contact.
    The Hibs player stopped short of McGeady, therefore there was not even any intent.

In that case the Hibs player should also be booked for simulation.

In that case the Hibs player should also be booked for simulation.

"Conning the opposition player into conning the referee" Automatic 2 game ban! :D

No im not, ive already said, McGeady thought he was going to get fouled...he anticipate that the Hibs player would go through him.
    He didnt have particularly long to think about it, it was as instinctive as knocking the ball past him and running after it.

Doesnt take away from the fact that he didnt get fouled however.
    We agree completely on all of the above so I'm happy. As I said, I don't mind the suspension too much. But people have another excuse to boo him now with him being branded a cheat which he isn't.

• Advertisement

Good to see Loovens in the Holland team.

Nederland: Vorm; Van der Wiel, Loovens, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; De Jong, Mendes da Silva; Sneijder, Van Persie, Robben; Kuijt.

Japan: Kawaguchi; Uchida, Nagatomo, Nakazawa; Hasebe, K. Nakamura, S. Nakamura, Endo; Tanaka, Okazaki, Tamada.

0-0 Half time and Apparently he's playing well.

I don't know whether to laugh...

celtinjuries.jpg

International weeks suck.

Fortune allegedly out for a long spell, Boruc shouldn't be too long, not sure on McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Just when we are getting back to the pace of the new season. Ticking along nicely in the SPL with goals coming and about to kick off the Europa league. Fortune starting to settle too :mad:

Just as well we have Sammy then.... :rolleyes:

Killen to come in and score loads - watch this space. And you down the back, stop sniggering. :D

Just as well we have Sammy then.... :rolleyes:

Killen to come in and score loads - watch this space. And you down the back, stop sniggering. :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I think the squad is a lot stronger this year we seem to have at least 2 players for each position.

Sammy or Kileen for Fotuné, Flood for McGeady & Zaluska for Boruc.

Yes I know half these players were there last season but let's not forget that Strachan seemed to forget he had them!

Tony seems to be the type of Manager that has no problem using the whole squad that he has at his disposal.

celticbest wrote: »
    I think the squad is a lot stronger this year we seem to have at least 2 players for each position.

Sammy or Kileen for Fotuné, Flood for McGeady & Zaluska for Boruc.

Yes I know half these players were there last season but let's not forget that Strachan seemed to forget he had them!

Tony seems to be the type of Manager that has no problem using the whole squad that he has at his disposal.

Yeah because those three put fear into most defences including ours :D;):p

Yeah because those three put fear into most defences including ours :D;):p
    We all know Sammy can score goals he did it last season until he got injured, yeah he did not perform when he came back but who did at the end of last season? If he gets a bit of confidence back I'm sure the goals will flow again.

Kileen and Flood were never given a chance, don't forget how well Flood was playing for utd before his move.

Zaluska was also great for utd last season, I'm sure he will prove great cover for Boruc if required.

Samaras with confidence is definitely good enough for Celtic.

Flood's a very underrated player imo. I like him. Pity he's so small. He's a central midfielder but is so afraid to hold onto the ball before there's pressure on him. In saying that there's no harm in releasing the ball instantly.

Yeah eirebhoy, I agree Flood is slight but I'm sure there working him in the Gym to build up a bit of muscle. Just look at McGeady now to a year or two ago.

Also, read on the Celtic website that Robson & Wilson played the full 90 minutes against Cork City. Lets hope both are back in the first team sqaud soon, especially Robson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Well you must have led a sheltered life as a tic fan never to have heard that expression it comes from the Teddy bears = Gers just been shortened to Bears over the years

I have been supporting The Rangers for 50 years and I follow them because I want to.

And don't start with the Racist/Bigoted crap yes we have a section of fans who disgrace the club but so do most other teams Rangers as a football club have been working hard to eradicate the problem but as shown by the West Ham v Millwall game the other night these things just don't disappear

Now I am not going to have a fight with you and start all the crap that can I come on here for some discussion with the Celtic fans that post we get along fine most of the time so I don't intend to get a ban for arguing with you :p

LOL, I know you want to, and that is your prerogative of course - I'm just interested in that fact that you're a RC and you support Rangers? Just a tad unusual, no??

Yes, Teddybears I have heard, but not in ages - should have copped 'bears', but TBH, I'm used to hearing your team being reffered to in slightly less endearing terms!

Not trying to fight with you at all, but I genuinely think that Rangers have more bigotted/racist fans than your average club. The debacle in Manchester showed that you have a lot of complete lowlife scum following you - TBF, that would never happen if it had been Celtic in the final!

A really stupid and boring generalisation

Albeit one with plenty of evidence to back it up

A_Fitz wrote: »
    LOL, I know you want to, and that is your prerogative of course - I'm just interested in that fact that you're a RC and you support Rangers? Just a tad unusual, no??

Yes, Teddybears I have heard, but not in ages - should have copped 'bears', but TBH, I'm used to hearing your team being reffered to in slightly less endearing terms!

Not trying to fight with you at all, but I genuinely think that Rangers have more bigotted/racist fans than your average club. The debacle in Manchester showed that you have a lot of complete lowlife scum following you - TBF, that would never happen if it had been Celtic in the final!

Albeit one with plenty of evidence to back it up

I am not going to get into the Manchester thing because frankly it's been done to death.
    I have this funny feeling you think there's no lowlife scum in your support sorry to tell you this you are wrong

As for me being an RC Rangers fan you would be surprised just how many of us there are and it's an element of our fanbase that's growing steadily.

Now thats all I have to say on the matter if you want to come in here and talk to me let it be about football or at least current matters concerning our club's

Cheers

Edit: just to say for someone who professes to be such a big Tic fan you seem to be more interested in having a go at myself and Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I am not going to get into the Manchester thing because frankly it's been done to death.
    I have this funny feeling you think there's no lowlife scum in your support sorry to tell you this you are wrong

As for me being an RC Rangers fan you would be surprised just how many of us there are and it's an element of our fanbase that's growing steadily.

Now thats all I have to say on the matter if you want to come in here and talk to me let it be about football or at least current matters concerning our club's

Cheers

Edit: just to say for someone who professes to be such a big Tic fan you seem to be more interested in having a go at myself and Rangers

Well to be honest you don't want to get into the whole why you chose rangers in previous post and now you don't want to talk anybit about manchester. I'm not looking for a rise off you, i just think if you support them and post here, you should be comfortable to talk about anything concerning them. I find it incredible you support rangers to be honest. I don't think I'm a narrow-minded guy but it does strike me. When I was younger a chap in school with my brother(2 years ahead) supported them because they were the better team, winning the league constantly. I'm not saying that your case but thats my experience with a RC rangers fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There have been numerous posts on thread instructing posters to stay on-topic. They don't seem to have had the desired effect.

If it happens again then infractions for off-topic posting will be the result.

Please stick to the topic at hand Celtic Teamtalk/Gossip/Rumours etc

You ARE a bigot for being a Rangers supporter, there is absolutely no argument against it ok?
    People have proof you know!

Not only are you a bigot however, you are also a knuckledragging thug, who has destroyed cities all over europe on your hunnish crusades.

Of course it is completely impssible to be a Roman Catholic and support Rangers, just ask a few of the Celtic fans on here...theyll put you straight, of course the people that will tell you it is impossible are not the bigots you know, of course not, they are the saviours of Eire, their is no hatred or bigotry from them, not a bit, merely political oppresion and general downtrodden psyche on their part.

Of course it is your DUTY as a Rangers supporter, remember this always, to answer accusations directed at you over the debacle in Manchester, because lets face it...its your fault, it is all Rangers supporters faults and it will be all Rangers supporters faults untill the end of time.

Always remember this, you are only a Rangers supporting Roman Catholic because you are a gloryhunter, never mind the fact that you are in your fifties and supported the team through thick and thin, including Celtic's 9 in a row years, even in the 80s when crowds where at an all time low, not to mention recent years when Rangers have had some of their worst teams in the history of the club.

Now lets have no more stupidity on our part Rangers fans, lets face it, your damned if you do, your damned if you dont.

Miller ends up at Hibs.... oh how the mighty have fallen:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8248684.stm

Wonder how his pay packet looks now! :D

Busy week coming up and two tough league games. I hope we can get through this without Fortune, I also hear Brown was struggling. McGeady suspended for tomorrow of course after the now infamous "dive".

I see ESPN are showing the Tel-Aviv game on Thursday - any chance it'll be on ITV etc. also anyone know?

Busy week coming up and two tough league games. I hope we can get through this without Fortune, I also hear Brown was struggling. McGeady suspended for tomorrow of course after the now infamous "dive".

I see ESPN are showing the Tel-Aviv game on Thursday - any chance it'll be on ITV etc. also anyone know?

I actually reckon he'll do a job for Hibs, no one can say hes not a good player. he took that move to Man Utd far too early, Hibs will just have to hope that he's grown up a little bit and his attitude is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It's on 3e Paul afaik

Badabing wrote: »
    It's on 3e Paul afaik

Legend, thanks! Just checked the TV guide, it is indeed on 3e.
    http://3e.tv3.ie/index.php?page=schedule&day=2009-09-17

3e... it'll be the first time I've actually watched anything on it!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Have to say i am delighted we have signed Miller think he is a great acquisition, nice to see celtic are looking at another hibs cast off in Beuzelin, Mowbray did not rate him good enough for WBA but now considering him for celtic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement