Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [warning post #417, 418]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

1967 wrote: »
    Have to say i am delighted we have signed Miller think he is a great acquisition, nice to see celtic are looking at another hibs cast off in Beuzelin, Mowbray did not rate him good enough for WBA but now considering him for celtic.

Boozy's past his best. An alright player, but deffo past his best.

Hopefully Yogi can do the job with Stokes and Miller etc - if he's got his signings right, could be a great year for the Hibees!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We agree completely on all of the above so I'm happy. As I said, I don't mind the suspension too much. But people have another excuse to boo him now with him being branded a cheat which he isn't.

Sadly, theres a brainless element in Scotland which picks up on this particular Bandwagon, amongst others.

I recall sitting in a Bar in Edinburgh one evening while one gormless Twat was roaring at the height of his voice "COME ON GEORGIA", as the Republic of Ireland were playing.

We were playing Germany, but any port in a Storm suits some.

Scotland has a lot to learn about how it deals with it's shame, and we are actually so well advanced of their progress when it comes to dealing with it, remarkably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Disappointing that we could not take advantage today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Disappointing that we could not take advantage today

How did game go? Was working all day, only heard results on radio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I see that Robbie Keane is linked yet again with Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I see that ESPN are also showing the game on Thursday night & 3e had a caption on the bottom of the screen all last night saying they had the game on, on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

celticbest wrote: »
    I see that ESPN are also showing the game on Thursday night & 3e had a caption on the bottom of the screen all last night saying they had the game on, on Thursday.

Yes Its on both kick off is at 6pm programme starts at 5.55 on 3e and 5.30 on ESPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    How did game go? Was working all day, only heard results on radio...

Stonewall penalty turned down and a perfectly good goal rules offside.

In saying that this is a game we still should have won handily.

I see UEFA backed down as usual with the Eduardo case, once one of the big clubs from the big 4 league say no they always back down, but do you think McGeady's red was taken back, no chance!! even though his offence was in the middle of the park.

FIFA need to bring in a rule to clarify what is to happen when somebody is found guilty of diving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I see UEFA backed down as usual with the Eduardo case, once one of the big clubs from the big 4 league say no they always back down, but do you think McGeady's red was taken back, no chance!! even though his offence was in the middle of the park.

FIFA need to bring in a rule to clarify what is to happen when somebody is found guilty of diving.

He got a second yellow no appeal for that plus it makes no difference where the offence took place according to the rules. Plus he was guilty anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone know what chnnels (if any) are showing the Tel Aviv match tomorrow???

Coillte Bhoy - the match is on both ESPN and 3e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Coillte Bhoy - the match is on both ESPN and 3e.

Good stuff. Ta.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Fairly damning stuff from Caldwell *:
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/celtic/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/09/17/manual_091324.html&TEAMHD=celtic

I really think Gary is getting just a little bit too big for his boots, although agents can be the ones causing all this strife in the background. He's hardly had a good start to the season though - especially in Europe - and given the current economic situation and the lack of CL money, I think he's a cheeky little bolix looking for more dough.

(* assuming it's accurate, which maybe it isn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/celtic/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/09/17/manual_091324.html&TEAMHD=celtic

I really think Gary is getting just a little bit too big for his boots, although agents can be the ones causing all this strife in the background. He's hardly had a good start to the season though - especially in Europe - and given the current economic situation and the lack of CL money, I think he's a cheeky little bolix looking for more dough.

When does his contract expire?

Given the fact that he is vice captain (and will captain the team on occasion) he should be seen as a vital player. I dont rate the guy at all in fairness, but i can understand his point in wanting some sort of parity with the likes of Fortune and Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not fussed at all about Caldwell's contract. We've 3 centre halves on the same level at least.

Not fussed at all about Caldwell's contract. We've 3 centre halves on the same level at least.

Its still very stupid by Celtic to let it come to this. This should have either offered him a contract in the summer whilst they had a strong position or sold him. Now its either his terms or he leaves on a free transfer. Idiots!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its still very stupid by Celtic to let it come to this. This should have either offered him a contract in the summer whilst they had a strong position or sold him. Now its either his terms or he leaves on a free transfer. Idiots!!

None of us know the ins-and-outs of it, but I would imagine he has been offered a contract, just not at terms Caldwell - or more like his agent - are willing to accept.

Hows do Celtic fans see their chances tonight in Israel? Hopefully they can win to continue the fightback following last night's good result.

Gary Caldwell has had a poor start to season by all accounts, however, rewind 6 months and all Celtic fans were saying he was a great player!

Does it not make a mockery of player of the year awards that he won one?

Are Celtic fans now saying he isnt Celtic's best defender let alone best defender in SPL?

Every player can go through a rough patch of form, as the saying goes. Form is temporary, class is permanent

Eirebear wrote: »
    When does his contract expire?

His contract is up in the summer. It's just the usual old speal to get the contract up'd a bit, I'd say that he will stay.

However if it's not sorted by the January transfer window we will see how serious he is, he will be allowed to sign a pre-contract agreement for another team then if he wants.

Is there any news on the team for this evening :confused:. Have looked on a few websites and there no information on it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Its all direct quotes so would be accurate enough you have to imagine. He has put up a clear line between himself and the club which is never a good thing - the end of the season is a long way away yet. I'd say his days are numbered.

Is there any news on the team for this evening :confused:. Have looked on a few websites and there no information on it yet.

This is all I can find so far:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8255021.stm
    Hows do Celtic fans see their chances tonight in Israel? Hopefully they can win to continue the fightback following last night's good result.

Well it's Celtic away in Europe, so I wouldn't say there's huge optimism for a win. That said, I think our fortunes ('scuse the pun) might be changing as regards away games, and it is a lower level than the CL, so I'd be disappointed if we fail to secure at least a point.

I'll go for a 1-2 Celtic win, with at least one of the goals coming from a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hows do Celtic fans see their chances tonight in Israel? Hopefully they can win to continue the fightback following last night's good result. Celtic were playing last night :confused: ??

Gary Caldwell has had a poor start to season by all accounts, however, rewind 6 months and all Celtic fans were saying he was a great player! I certainly never ever held that opinion quite the opposite infact although to be fair he did play very well at times last year especially considering McManus was all over the shop and Boruc was having a breakdown in the goals

Does it not make a mockery of player of the year awards that he won one? Arent these always a joke anyway - two words Ryan Giggs :rolleyes:

Are Celtic fans now saying he isnt Celtic's best defender let alone best defender in SPL? He is nowhere near Celtics best defender IMO

Every player can go through a rough patch of form, as the saying goes. Form is temporary, class is permanent The opposite to this is also true ;)

With regard to tonight I would be cautiously optomistic, considering the way these groups usually pan out would settle for a draw though as long as the performance is adequate.

None of us know the ins-and-outs of it, but I would imagine he has been offered a contract, just not at terms Caldwell - or more like his agent - are willing to accept.

He says that Celtic havent gotten back to him in a very very long time.

This should have been thrashed out before the end of last season and he either be committed long term to the club or sold during the transfer window. Its the clubs fault that these talks have dragged out.

With regard to tonight I would be cautiously optomistic, considering the way these groups usually pan out would settle for a draw though as long as the performance is adequate.

Cheers

I think think words 'Gary Caldwell' and word 'contradiction' seem to go hand in hand! Celtic fans can't seem to make their minds up on the lad which is very confusing for me anyway! One minute he is great, the next he is rubbish! :confused:

I dont believe player of the year awards are jokes, far from it. Generally they recognise the best player in the league by and large. I think the Giggs situation was an extreme example of where this didnt happen, for reasons I understand but don't agree with.

I think you know what I meant when I said I hoped Celtic would continue fightback tonight.....

Odds of 7/4 on Celtic to win so the bookies certainly don't think we'll do it. I actually haven't been following Celtic at all the last 2 weeks as my weekends have been tied up but I was surprised to see those odds. It makes me more excited and less nervous about the game that a win will be a bonus.

Odds of 7/4 on Celtic to win so the bookies certainly don't think we'll do it. I actually haven't been following Celtic at all the last 2 weeks as my weekends have been tied up but I was surprised to see those odds. It makes me more excited and less nervous about the game that a win will be a bonus.

Well to be fair Eirebhoy, Celtic's away European record doesn't exactly make for promising reading, leaving aside result in Moscow this year. I suspect this is uppermost in bookies minds when making odds. In saying this, I think the odds are generous as I believe Celtic have put their shocking record behind them. I expect them to win tonight, Hapoel are hardly one of Europe's leading lights after all!

What happened last night? We were great in the first half yes the usual one or two scares but nothing major & a lead away from home.

The second half was a complete disaster! I think once N'Guemo came off the midfield just kept falling back & playing into Hapoel Tel-Aviv's hands. Yes I know the heat had a part to play in how the match was approached but we were the better team and should not have sat back so deep 'cause tbh our defence is not good enough to soak up consisent pressure.

We sat on a one goal lead, that was a very average team Hapoel and there are no excuses really. Even our 4-5-1 setup from the outset was too cautious. As the 2nd half went on we retreated more and more and got what we deserved in the end. Shambolic display.

The standard of the spl teams in europe has clearly gone backward in a big way. The dizzying heights of the last 16 / 8 of the CL seems so far out of our grasp right now. Few years back this would not have been so. :(

We sat on a one goal lead, that was a very average team Hapoel and there are no excuses really. Even our 4-5-1 setup from the outset was too cautious. As the 2nd half went on we retreated more and more and got what we deserved in the end. Shambolic display.

The standard of the spl teams in europe has clearly gone backward in a big way. The dizzying heights of the last 16 / 8 of the CL seems so far out of our grasp right now. Few years back this would not have been so. :(

I think its too early to rule out a Rangers challenge in Europe this season Lisbon Lions. Any team that can can get a result away to a Bundesliga team deserves credit and Id fancy them for 3rd place, at worst in their group and still be in Europe after xmas. Rangers aside, the rest of the SPL team performances have been dire and by all accounts this includes Celtic last night. As I have posted here before, this will have dire consequences for the Scottish co-efficient. Im afraid even qualifying for CL in future will be an achievement Lisbon Lions in the current trend continues, let alone talking about last 8 places!

• Advertisement

Anyone think that between last night and the 2nd leg against Arsenal in particular that Scott Brown has frightened off any potertial buyers iin the EPL I actually dont remember him even putting a tackle in in the 2nd half last night, We were playing 5 across the middle and they were walking through us and tbh only for Boruc we wouldnt have held out as long as we did.

Anyone think that between last night and the 2nd leg against Arsenal in particular that Scott Brown has frightened off any potertial buyers iin the EPL I actually dont remember him even putting a tackle in in the 2nd half last night, We were playing 5 across the middle and they were walking through us and tbh only for Boruc we wouldnt have held out as long as we did.

I didnt see game Premier as my sky is down, but I have been telling anyone who will listen, based on the big games, the important games I have seen the lad he is not a 10m pound player. I think I even had this discussion with you on here if I am not mistaken. The lad is a very good player, but he is far from finished article. He should have been bossing that game last night with a stand out performance to give credence to those sort of figures. I have read reports of the fact that he carrying an injury, if this is case he is doing himself and his club no favours by playing on if he needs treatment.

I didnt see game Premier as my sky is down, but I have been telling anyone who will listen, based on the big games, the important games I have seen the lad he is not a 10m pound player.
    Brown has put in plenty of excellent performances in Europe. As I told you a few weeks ago, his performances against Arsenal and now Tel Aviv are no different to his performances in the SPL this season. It has nothing to do with the big stage. He's just not playing well for Celtic atm.

It's very annoying listening to that Brewster. If he was playing well in the SPL then you might have a bit of a point.

Brown has put in plenty of excellent performances in Europe. As I told you a few weeks ago, his performances against Arsenal and now Tel Aviv are no different to his performances in the SPL this season. It has nothing to do with the big stage. He's just not playing well for Celtic atm.

It's very annoying listening to that Brewster. If he was playing well in the SPL then you might have a bit of a point.

Yeah I agree eirebhoy and I was actually saying it as perhaps a good thing that potential buyers might be reluctant now and we can hold on to him a bit longer!! Did he come back too soon from injury or is it just a dip in form do you think?

I think its too early to rule out a Rangers challenge in Europe this season Lisbon Lions. Any team that can can get a result away to a Bundesliga team deserves credit and Id fancy them for 3rd place, at worst in their group and still be in Europe after xmas.

Maybe Brewster, maybe. I will be the first to congratulate Rangers if they make the last 16, I just cannot see it though tbh. I just feel the spl standard has dipped somewhat and doubt we will be seeing a last CL 16 or europa league final for quite some time.

edit: Im really setting myself up for a fall with that statment...no quotes come december now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I see Caldwell is getting up his own arss in the last day or so in regards to his worth at the club. After last night i woudn't pay him 20 euro a week. The man cannot play midfield ffs.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8260673.stm

Another shambolic display lets Rangers off the hook

Edit: They just nick it at the end :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Jesus thought it was a draw just seen that Loovens scored at the death cant say i am disappointed being a Hibee, and check the spl highlights for 3 great goals from Hibs yesterday,they made hard work of it but the finishing of Stokes and Riordan was superb and like Stokes Liam Miller is not fully fit but you can see his touch skill and composure on the ball he is going to do very well for Hibs this season.

At least Celtic have taken advantage of rangers slip up this week. I thought it was going to be another draw!

I hope this is the start of a good run of results and that the player start to build a bit of confidence in there play.

Heard McGeady was superb yesterday, let's hope he can start adding goals to his otherwise great performances so far this season as this would make him the complete player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic 4 Falkirk 0. Apparantly McCourt scored a great goal and played a blinder. Killen and Skippy also in on the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sounded like a wonder goal.

Can't wait to see?

Can't wait to see?

Great to see McCourt get his first goal. Very decent lad by all accounts...

It's great to see Tony giving fringe players the chance to prove themselves, this is something Strachan did not seem to be able to do!

Look at Killen he was never given a chance and now he has two goals in two games & he's the fourth choice striker behind Skippy, Sammy & Foutuné.

The more players we have coming in and getting a chance the better as it's a long season ahead and there will undoubtedly be a few injuries along the way.

Putting McGeady on at 0-3 up was a bit of a baffling decision though... he went off injured and is a doubt for Rapid and Ibrox. Could really have done without that given we're already without Fortune and possibly Samaras.

Delighted for McCourt, hope we see more of the lad. As for Killen, I've said it before he should be a good enough bet for the SPL. He was scoring plenty for Hibs when we bought him - a striker doesn't become poor overnight.

I see Boyd is in the spotlight for a number of alleged penalty box diving incidents last night - any comment Brewster? ;)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8272531.stm

Putting McGeady on at 0-3 up was a bit of a baffling decision though... he went off injured and is a doubt for Rapid and Ibrox. Could really have done without that given we're already without Fortune and possibly Samaras.

Delighted for McCourt, hope we see more of the lad. As for Killen, I've said it before he should be a good enough bet for the SPL. He was scoring plenty for Hibs when we bought him - a striker doesn't become poor overnight.

I see Boyd is in the spotlight for a number of alleged penalty box diving incidents last night - any comment Brewster? ;)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8272531.stm

Well if he took a dive, hes a silly boy. If he got booked, then he was punished and id leave it at that. This isn't an Arsene Wenger moment, but I didnt see it, genuinely. If he dived, he was stupid, but as I said at the time of McGeady incident hardly crime of the century! If the punishment for diving is a yellow, and he got a yellow then don't see what the big issue is. Until the punishment is changed to something more serious, then players are going to continue to chance their arm of this there is no doubt. FIFA/Uefa need to decide on a punishment that will act as a deterent, I dont believe a yellow is sufficient. It wasn't fair on Eduardo to get that ban, and Im glad it was overturned. Wasn't fair on the lad, he should have been issued with a yellow card restrospectively as that is the current punishment, that was it. Im sure you all won't agree, but thats how I see diving issue in our game.

• Advertisement

Why don't you click the link and spend 1 minute of your time looking at the dives before answering?

Why don't you click the link and spend 1 minute of your time looking at the dives before answering?

Well If you are referring to me, I did click the link, but I can't see where it shows a link to dive? Not so sure its relevant to the point though either way??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can't wait to see?

Here it is. Nice goal alrite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xg-ELqkUrw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Longer video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn2unU86WCM

This run is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ois7tub0j8&feature=related

not many players can make defenders fall on their arses anymore. Touch of the Maradona about him.

This is Falkirk and reserve football in Scotland though.

So it's back to the SPL tomorrow and a game against St. Mirren (12:30 on ESPN).

Will the score line be as impressive as Wednesday's result?

Will rangers slip up again tomorrow against Aberdeen?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement