Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog / puppy training to stop mouthing

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, need a little help here,.

I have a cockapoo which is a crossbred between a cocker spaniel and a poodle. She is 14 weeks old and her behaviour is very annoying. She jumps up on people and me all the time and most worryingly on my 2 year old grandson. She often nips at the trousers leg which has caused holes in some of my trousers and leggings and often hurts me, my grandson and my daughters. She also mouthes my hand, and sometimes bites into it. When she meets new people she will mouth them and sometime nip them. I have tried all the methods that they recommend, (saying no and giving her something she is allowed to bite, holding her mouth shut, but does not work.
    I would be grateful for any help and suggestions to this problem.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Might she be teething? Because my pup chewed anything because her gums were at her.
    Have you tried giving her ice cubes or puppy treats for teething?

In saying that my pup still likes to eat things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

Sorry for hijacking your thread but i would like some advice on this aswell, because i am having the same problems with my Westie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We're going through exactly the same with our little pup at the moment (12 weeks old) although he's tiny his wee teeth are like needles. He doesn't do it with me as much but when hubby comes home he goes to town on him..mainly because he let him at first grrr. He's a bit of a walk over bless him (hubby not the dog).

I'm taking him to his puppy class tomorow and this is one of the questions I have to see if they can suggest anything else, I give him his puppy kong to chew on when he's on my knee. When he's playing on the floor I give him his teddy or a toy. Today he got his first dog chew food a small non splintery type bone he's teething like mad to it helped.

He still likes to grab trouser legs etc. I was hoping by now my smaller dog would play with him but she's too grown up and likes him but just ignores him really so going to introduce him to his doggy uncle tomorow. Main reason is to get him mixing with other dogs so that if he bites too hard the other dog will let him know.

Our collie is still afraid of him and just wish our little dog would play with him.
    Only seeing now how grown up my other two dogs are.

Will let you know how we get on tomorow and see what tips we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm nearly certain that she is doing this for attention.

So, first things first, PUT ON HER LEAD,and then when people come into your house you MUST tell them to ignore the dog, dont look at her, dont even acknowledge that she exists - invite guests to sit down and all the while not looking at the dog, when she attempts to jump up on them, give a sideways tug on the lead and in a low voice, say NO.........eventually, and this may take 20 mins or so, she will realise that no one is paying her attention and she will flop to the floor, only then, quietly say good girl. This exercise needs to be done consistently for probably a week or two, but she will get the message that getting all hyper and jumping up on people = being ignored.

Aye my pup won't bite my mother anymore, our other dog would never bite my mother, if she found her hand in her mouth she'd just stop and push it out with her tongue (my mother's usually ill a lot so I reckon they sense it). Little one will go to town on me or my brother. But she's still teething at times bless her, she doesn't mean to hurt. But you do have to be careful.
    We used to say 'gently!' when she was chewing on our fingers and if she hurt we'd go 'OUCH, no' and not let her at our hand. Then when she did it gently tell her good girl. I know maybe you shouldn't let them chew at all, but just for her teething I felt badly.
    She has chew toys, she likes to gnaw on wood! and anything really. Rope toys can be good too as they can chew them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marion_brry

Thanks for your suggestions.
    it is not teething as I think she wants to play with me or the first person she takes a fancy to particularily my granson.
    I tried to hit her on the nose with a paper advice from the breeder. She was nervous and wet the floor and started barking at me.
    Thanks

Yeah I don't suggest hitting them, dogs don't really understand, as you said she just wet herself and barked at you. It only makes them afraid of your hand really (IMO) I could be wrong.

Well just my pup was teething from about 4months onwards. And she still likes to chew things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mskey12

hi I have a jack russell shih tzu mix, she is 3 months old, she tugs at my pants when walking and gets to rough when playing and likes to nip, if I say ow, try to give her a toy to chew on or hold her muzzle she just comes back at me for more, more agrresive and bites are harder I then stop all play is this just because shes so young? will she grow out of it? how do I correct it? any help is much appreciated I love this little girl and she is very smart but don't want her growing up thinking these things are ok

Different tactics work depending on the do. I had the exact same problem with my Husky. It was definately somthing i didnt want him to carry to adult hud.
    He stopped doing it the the power of "NO" other dogs might react to a yelp . If he does it to you again, try a high pitched "YELP" They do this as puppys as they are learning how far to take things .

If you push him away its like a game so he will come back.Just keep with it, you will get it. My guy still likes to mouth and always trys his luck but he wont do it if we say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Leave a tug toy outside so when a vistor comes they can have that ready when they come in. When they do greet the dog have them offer the toy as an alternative to the trouser leg.
    Bringing the dog further into the house and have a kong or something else ready to get the dogs attention and swap the tug toy for the kong so the dogs focus isn't forever on the tug toy.

It will take some time, our little guy is a little brat sometimes but I'm sure he'll come to eventually. We're doing everything we're told so fingers crossed lol.
    He's not all bad at all though he's just a little nuttier some times of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I have a Westie and he was a terror for mouthing and biting. Dogs can teethe up to 6months or so and this can be a symptom of the biting but more often than not its just in their nature. What I did was when he bit down I yelped really loudly and pulled my hand away, dogs react like that to each other. Eventually (and it took a lot of patience and time) he copped on.

No way would I recommend hitting a dog on the nose, only way to go is reward when he stops biting, its 'good boy' and I continue to play with him, he tries it again the play stops and so on. Its all about positive reinforcement not punishment.

You can also give him ice cubes or frozen gravy cubes when he seems a bit chewy, they love the cold feeling on their gums.

Advertisement