Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek 1.7 or Focus Cayo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Fairly sure the 1.7 you linked to is the 2010 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Focus Cayo no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Love my Focus.....nuff said.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

penexpers wrote: »

I have the 2009 and there is no difference to that picture or specs. That photo is 2009 I think unless the 2010 is going to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

They're both very similiar so with that in mind get the Focus as its one sweet looking ride and every man, woman and child seems to have a Trek so you'll be able to find yours far easier at a meet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Focus Cayo. It has a carbon frame versus the Trek's aluminium frame (meaning more in terms of comfort) and costs about €100 less. Got one and it's bleedin deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

1.7 is to be discontinued and replaced with 2.3 i think

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure/Bike.aspx?SubCatId=411&BID=11&View=N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

If you want a Focus buy a car
    If you want a bike buy the Trek..A sexier looking bike for a start

I wonder does that sigma crowd charge carriage on the bikes?.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

jinka wrote: »
    If you want a Focus buy a car
    If you want a bike buy the Trek..A sexier looking bike for a start

your getting confused, he never said the thing he was looking to get was a focus...

i too am very pleased with my focus, your paying extra for a lower spec bike if you get the trek.

the trek equivalent of the focus (in terms of specification) is the madone 4.5

not worth the extra imo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Being incredibly picky, the only things wrong with the Focus that I can think of are:

1. Rattly cables, probably the internal routing, possibly solved with grommets or sealant if I could be bothered.

2. A bit heavy, compared to something lighter. :pac:

3. The "Focus bikes, made in Germany" advertising, which is somewhat misleading, but not unusually in the industry, and obviously nothing to do with the actual bike.

Otherwise it's very difficult to fault.

I can think of a few things worth criticising about the Trek, but it's not fair to pick on the underdog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Hiya,

According to LBS who was talking to Trek rep the Trek 1.7 is not included in the 2010 range as it’s discontinued. Reps have no idea what’s taking its place right now. Also Trek and Giant are releasing the 2010 range in the next couple of weeks.
    For what it’s worth – label on the trek was “made in Taiwan” as far as I can remember :D

Do like the look of the Trek...

Does the carbon frame make that much of a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

happy_73 wrote: »

Does the carbon frame make that much of a difference?

In a word : yes. It will absorb the road buzz better and make for a more comfortable ride. I'm used to steel bikes and I had a test ride on the Madone 4.5 and I couldn't believe the difference in how much smoother the ride was.

Lumen wrote: »
    1. Rattly cables, probably the internal routing, possibly solved with grommets or sealant if I could be bothered.

No rattles on my one so it's either you were unlucky, I was lucky or it's something that they changed with the 2009 model...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Seems Planet X have updated their site. Their SL pro carbon is cheaper than it was, but isn't full ultegra any more. If you include the 'build it for me' and shipping, it works out at €1350. It's another option to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

happy, was in the exact same position as yourself some months back and was looking at the trek 1.5 and 1.7 bikes , in the end decided to go for the focus as the reviews * and opinion here were all in favour, in the end wiggle wouldnt deliver to where i live so i ended up buying an orbea carbon.

you should go for the focus though, carbon is amazing compared to the standard frames of the treks . to be honest though lookswise i prefer the trek1.5 over all of em, but that just looks,, , i think the treks are great looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I just got a Trek 1.7 in the cycle to work scheme and I love everything about it. The ride, the speed, the look...got it for €1250 with a bit of haggling but will only have to pay €750 with tax relief.

I instantly shaved 25 minutes off the 25km from my house to work against what it took on my mountain bike (50min v. 1h15m). This is even before I try it with clipless pedals, no backpack etc.

I have no idea what the Focus is like but the Trek is a sweet bike. Planning to do the Wicklow 200 on it next year - first ever road bike I've owned so need to build up to it!

Doing the cycle to work scheme so the Planet X is out :(

I like the fact I can ride the trek before I buy. Lot to be said about the carbon frame if it's going to take some of the fuzz out of the road. At the moment riding Carrera Virtuoso so anything is going to be a major step up. Anyone with a Cayo in Cork that I could take a look at? If not could someone post a few pics of their cayo?

ta
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

penexpers wrote: »
    Thats the 2009 model my friend bought one in Newry €850, big saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I like the fact I can ride the trek before I buy. Lot to be said about the carbon frame if it's going to take some of the fuzz out of the road. At the moment riding Carrera Virtuoso so anything is going to be a major step up. Anyone with a Cayo in Cork that I could take a look at? If not could someone post a few pics of their cayo?

ta
    S

irishmotorist posted pics of his here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138864&page=65
    he did the ROK on his and seemed happy, i'm biased though planning on ordering mine in the next day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@happy_73- I am a big Trek fan, they make great bikes. I have owned a total of six of them, more than any other make.

I have direct comparison of the Trek aluminium road frames and the Trek carbon frames having owned both. The Trek carbon is _incredibly_ more comfortable than the Trek aluminium which is very direct and stiff, great for starting racing, but a bit harsh over long distances. The Trek carbon is the most comfortable I have ever ridden.

After I crashed my carbon Trek 5000 (modern equivalent Madone 4.x) I replaced with a Focus Cayo. I did this because a Madone was just crazy expensive. The Cayo was probably slightly less shock absorbent than the Trek 5000 but it felt stiffer and faster. The Cayo was still very comfortable, far more so than a Trek aluminium frame.

Bottom line is the Focus Cayo is simply not comparable to a Trek 1.7. The Focus is in another league. It will be both more comfortable and lighter.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it's out? I just want to make sure that you're not mistaken on the rules of the scheme. If you can buy it anywhere (shop, online etc.) then it's valid under c2w. If your place of work has limited you to specific shops, then that's a different story. If that is the ase though, check with them as they might allow exceptions (like my place did).

Can only purchase from the following
    http://www.opw.ie/en/media/Bicycle%20Suppliers.pdf
    if it's not on the list, not going to happen!

@ednwireland, thanks for the link to the pics - bike look sweet!

The cayo is looking better and better :)

Hi lads,

Wiggle just dropped the price of the Cayo to €1050 so just ordered it... feck waiting around for the Bike2Work scheme to start in UCC!

thanks for the advice and will put up pics when I get it!

S

Advertisement