Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you respect the views of the religious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

vibe666 wrote: »
    isn't that the one where religious types celebrate when jebus was nailed to giant chocolate egg?

No that's the one where we celebrate the Easter Bunny's triumph over Satan, preventing him from taking the world's supply of chocolate to hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OP wrote:
    Do you respect the views of the religious?
    isn't that the one where religious types celebrate when jebus was nailed to giant chocolate egg?
    That would be a 'no', then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zillah wrote: »
    No that's the one where we celebrate the Easter Bunny's triumph over Satan, preventing him from taking the world's supply of chocolate to hell.

Well that'd be no good. The chocolate would all melt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dades wrote: »
    That would be a 'no', then.
    and there i was trying to be all subtle about it. :D

in all seriousness though, as an atheist how could you respect a theists religious views?

by embracing atheism you've already dismissed all religion as complete and utter BS so how could you possibly take the views of someone who wholeheartedly believes in them (in the literal sense) seriously? it's already been said that you can respect someone's right to hold whatever beliefs they want to, which is fair enough, but I don't see how we (as atheists) can respect the beliefs themselves when we've already dismissed them as poppycock (always wanted to use that word somewhere, seems very dawkinsy to me :))
    Galvasean wrote: »
    hmm, giant satanic chocolate fondue with damned souls on pitchforks dipped in it's chocolatey goodness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

hmm, giant satanic chocolate fondue with damned souls on pitchforks dipped in it's chocolatey goodness. :)

You just made me hungry :(

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

That's the travesty of it! He doesn't even want it, he just wants us to not have it.

We owe that bunny so much for defeating the prince of darkness.

easterbunny.jpg

Beware of the PAGAN bunny though! :pac:

evil_easter_bunny.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

and there i was trying to be all subtle about it. :D

in all seriousness though, as an atheist how could you respect a theists religious views?

by embracing atheism you've already dismissed all religion as complete and utter BS so how could you possibly take the views of someone who wholeheartedly believes in them (in the literal sense) seriously? it's already been said that you can respect someone's right to hold whatever beliefs they want to, which is fair enough, but I don't see how we (as atheists) can respect the beliefs themselves when we've already dismissed them as poppycock (always wanted to use that word somewhere, seems very dawkinsy to me :))

Well personally:

As I believe what I believe, I think you are wrong.

Yet I respect your (non) beliefs, as I think it would be a very small-minded individual that would expect everyone else to have the exact same beliefs as them.

But you have a rather vague sort of theism.

Do you not see the conflict in telling them you respect their beliefs, but then ask them to not act upon them? Think of this in regards to evolution/ID in schools, abortion, euthanasia or divorce. There are people out there who believe that breaking marriage vows is an awful thing to do and should be illegal. It's quite ludicrous to tell such a person that what they believe is fine and dandy but that you'd like the laws of our nation to support something you've just acknowledged they believe to be evil.

Just turn it the other way around. Imagine a Jerhovah's Witness saying to you that they respect your belief that blood transfusions are a good idea, but that you shouldn't let it interfere with how we run our society, and that blood transfusions should be illegal.

Basically I'm saying that this sociological truce we have with each other is a naive illusion. Fundamentalists are monumentally wrong, but at least they are internally consistent, know what exactly they believe and are willing to fight for it.

Moderate religion is a truly baffling thing to me. For example, allowing someone to decide if they want to get baptised later in life rather than doing it straight off is insane. If someone believes in God, and believes that one requirement for escaping punishment/separation after death is a baptism, then delaying this act is incredibly stupid. You wouldn't let your child make up their mind on vaccines once they're older, or crossing the road properly or playing with knives...and yet all of these things have far less serious consequences than eternal damnation.

Basically moderates purport to believe certain things and then behave in an entirely contradictory fashion. Lunacy.

You say fundamentalists baffle you.

What baffles me is how some people can't possible think of God outside the constrictions of religion.

What you said in your paragraph about moderate religion is all Catholic church beliefs. Again, Catholic church and God are not one and the same.

I've said my story on here before. I was an athiest for a long time, I was in my bedroom one night when a glowing face just appeared to me. I knew it was Jesus. I was wide awake. I wasn't on drugs/drink, anything. No history of mental health issues, wasn't searching for anything, was happy. But I saw something very very unusual that night.
    This led me to believe in God. I still have no relationship with any formalised religion. And I can't stress this enough: you don't have to be.
    Why do you think you have to be part of a religion to believe in God?
    Religions are just people with shared beliefs,what if you don't believe what any of them think?
    You can call me vague,but I think it makes more sense to form your own personal beliefs ,than blindly follow what some power hungry men tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Midlandsmissus, the human mind has a great power for hallucination. I have seen things in front of my eyes that I know weren't there. I've even reached out and tried to touch them only to see my hand go through them. I once shouted for my dad to come into my room to look at the small fighter jet that was flying into a hatch that had just opened in the wall. I felt rather silly when he came in and I realised how ridiculous it was

The human mind also models things around its own understanding. It's why we can look at a yellow circle with two dots and a curved line, and see a smiling face :) It is not only possible but very easy for you to look at a shapeless pattern of light on a wall and see the face of Jesus. If you were born in Turkey you'd see Allah and in ancient Greece you'd see Zeus. You only have to look back a few weeks to the Limerick tree stump to see what I mean. This modelling ability evolved because it allowed us to pick predators out in the dark but it's not perfect

Everything you perceive is just electrical impulses in your brain. They can show us odd things and the brain's modelling feature can throw up false positives. One of the most important aspects of science is that the flawed human mind is taken out of the equation as much as possible because of its tendency to see what it wants to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I've said my story on here before. I was an athiest for a long time, I was in my bedroom one night when a glowing face just appeared to me. I knew it was Jesus. I was wide awake. I wasn't on drugs/drink, anything. No history of mental health issues, wasn't searching for anything, was happy. But I saw something very very unusual that night.

Well then you're very special. Not only are you claiming that billions following the world's major religions are somehow wrong, you're also claiming a special once off visit from God himself. As he hasn't yet visited me personally (nor indeed billions of others on this planet), I await with anticipation his personal invitation to your newly founded "non-organised" invite only belief system.

Just as a matter of interest, how many people do you believe God visits on a daily basis to reveal to them the true religion you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah only recently I was sleeping in my aunt's house, and woke up during the night (humidity in Spain... ugh) and saw what looked like a monster of some description :eek: I switched on the lights and discovered that it was whatever way the clothes hanging up were arranged, so switched off the lights again. But the monster was still there ! :eek: I couldn't get that arrangement of clothes to look like anything other than a monster, and it was fairly disconcerting even though I knew what it was. Adrenaline started going, my heartrate increased, etc., all as a result of what I was percieving. Pretty surreal. I ended up having to get up, mess up the arrangement of clothes, and then I was able to go back to sleep :)

Just thought that was topical...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Yet I respect your (non) beliefs, as I think it would be a very small-minded individual that would expect everyone else to have the exact same beliefs as them.

I dont see how accepting that people will have different beliefs to you translates into respecting those beliefs. How can you respect a belief you dont you yourself hold? Where is the respect if you don't believe it? You can respect the person holding it, you can allow them to have the belief and express it, but if you dont believe it yourself then whatever stops you believing it will get in the way of respecting it.

I've said my story on here before. I was an athiest for a long time, I was in my bedroom one night when a glowing face just appeared to me. I knew it was Jesus.

How do you know it was jesus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

How do you know it was jesus?

If it looked like the images we have of Jesus, a tall white man with a beard then it wasn't Jesus who would have looked more like a Palestinian

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This led me to believe in God. I still have no relationship with any formalised religion.

Well, that's great for you, but why doesn't JC do this for everyone then? What makes you so special that you don't have to rely on faith and faith alone like the rest of us?

Secondly, I would concede if this happened to you it would make sense that you give thought to believing in the Christian God etc. However, for the rest of us, it is just another person providing anecdotal, unsubstantiated evidence on the internet, and should be treated as such.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    If it looked like the images we have of Jesus, a tall white man with a beard then it wasn't Jesus who would have looked more like a Palestinian

I know that, I was waiting to see if midlandmissus was going to describe him as the white version that still seems to be worshipped in the west even though in reality he was born in the middle east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I've said my story on here before. I was an athiest for a long time, I was in my bedroom one night when a glowing face just appeared to me. I knew it was Jesus.

Yes but you knew it was Jesus because of religion

You would not have even heard of Jesus without the Christian religion. Nor would you know what he looked like (by which I mean what 15th century European artist say he looked like) Nor would you have any idea what Jesus was or what he wanted you to do.

Bearing in mind the title of the thread do we really need to pick apart a personal revelation here like wolves? I know posting it here makes it fair game but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't expect you to believe anything, you are perfectly entitled to believe what you want, same as everyone else. but when what you believe is perceived by others to be ridiculous, you can't just hold up the default "get out of jail free" religion card and expect to be taken seriously.

i've had plenty of half awake hallucinations myself, it means nothing. everything from monsters, snakes and spiders in my room, to the room filling with water, people standing in the room watching me and all sorts. even to the point where i will sit up in bed looking at what is(n't) there and sometimes wake up my OH in the process (sometimes by shaking her to get her away from whatever is there).

not being predisposed to read non-existent religious connotations into my 'visions' i have a good laugh about it with her the next day and rationally just put them down to sleep related overspill into reality like most people would and move on.

you believe because you want to believe, not for any other reason. religious people experience random chance and everyday experiences and always seem to find a way to put them down to some higher power because they want/need it to be true to keep going in this world.

the rest of us manage just fine without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

i've had plenty of half awake hallucinations myself, it means nothing. everything from monsters, snakes and spiders in my room, to the room filling with water, people standing in the room watching me and all sorts.

Weirdo.....:D
    even to the point where i will sit up in bed looking at what is(n't) there and sometimes wake up my OH in the process (sometimes by shaking her to get her away from whatever is there).

...oh, i see, you were just looking for a sh.ag;

We've all tried the 'wake up, wake up, there's is a monster in the room' trick. It rarely works....:mad:

Midlandsmissus, the human mind has a great power for hallucination. I have seen things in front of my eyes that I know weren't there. I've even reached out and tried to touch them only to see my hand go through them. I once shouted for my dad to come into my room to look at the small fighter jet that was flying into a hatch that had just opened in the wall. I felt rather silly when he came in and I realised how ridiculous it was

The human mind also models things around its own understanding. It's why we can look at a yellow circle with two dots and a curved line, and see a smiling face :) It is not only possible but very easy for you to look at a shapeless pattern of light on a wall and see the face of Jesus. If you were born in Turkey you'd see Allah and in ancient Greece you'd see Zeus. You only have to look back a few weeks to the Limerick tree stump to see what I mean. This modelling ability evolved because it allowed us to pick predators out in the dark but it's not perfect

Everything you perceive is just electrical impulses in your brain. They can show us odd things and the brain's modelling feature can throw up false positives. One of the most important aspects of science is that the flawed human mind is taken out of the equation as much as possible because of its tendency to see what it wants to see

I haven't been on here for a while, so will try to reply to everyone.

It wasn't shadows,shapeless patterns etc. It was a complete face of glowing light. Why would I perceive that out of nothing?

pH wrote: »
    Well then you're very special. Not only are you claiming that billions following the world's major religions are somehow wrong, you're also claiming a special once off visit from God himself. As he hasn't yet visited me personally (nor indeed billions of others on this planet), I await with anticipation his personal invitation to your newly founded "non-organised" invite only belief system.

Just as a matter of interest, how many people do you believe God visits on a daily basis to reveal to them the true religion you're talking about?

So you believe the world's major religions are right? No you don't, so how is it arrogant for me to think that.

It's happened to alot more people than just me. He might visit you yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

I haven't been on here for a while, so will try to reply to everyone.

It wasn't shadows,shapeless patterns etc. It was a complete face of glowing light. Why would I perceive that out of nothing?

How do you know it was not a very vivid dream?

Well I didn't say that, so don't jump ahead of me. I'm well aware that Jesus would have been coloured, and I have often pointed this out to people.

What I saw had no skin colour, it was just a glowing face of light, all in gold if you will.

How I knew it was him: the word Jesus formed in my mind. I just really knew it was him, like remembering something I had forgotten, kind of?

I've no idea why I saw it, but I know what I saw.

Dades wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the title of the thread do we really need to pick apart a personal revelation here like wolves?

I really have to agree with Dades here. We really need to moderate our reactions if there is to be a meaningful

Pffahahahaha can you imagine? Grubs up boys, tear it apart!

How do you know it was not a very vivid dream?

Hi,

I had just gone into my bedroom, I hadn't yet gone to sleep, so I was wide awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

Hi,

I had just gone into my bedroom, I hadn't yet gone to sleep, so I was wide awake.

Were you scared by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I really have to agree with Dades here. We really need to moderate our reactions if there is to be a meaningful

Pffahahahaha can you imagine? Grubs up boys, tear it apart!

I thought you'd gone insane with sleep deprivation for a second there.

• Advertisement

i don't expect you to believe anything, you are perfectly entitled to believe what you want, same as everyone else. but when what you believe is perceived by others to be ridiculous, you can't just hold up the default "get out of jail free" religion card and expect to be taken seriously.

i've had plenty of half awake hallucinations myself, it means nothing. everything from monsters, snakes and spiders in my room, to the room filling with water, people standing in the room watching me and all sorts. even to the point where i will sit up in bed looking at what is(n't) there and sometimes wake up my OH in the process (sometimes by shaking her to get her away from whatever is there).

not being predisposed to read non-existent religious connotations into my 'visions' i have a good laugh about it with her the next day and rationally just put them down to sleep related overspill into reality like most people would and move on.

you believe because you want to believe, not for any other reason. religious people experience random chance and everyday experiences and always seem to find a way to put them down to some higher power because they want/need it to be true to keep going in this world.

the rest of us manage just fine without.

How was I 'predisposed to read non-existent religious connotations into visions', I was an athiest, from an atheist family.

Advertisement