Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2009/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Hear Beckham has torn his achillies tendon and is probably out of the world cup (another debate whether he'd have gone anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Great result for the league. It will at least make it interesting run in. If I was putting a bet on, it would still have to be Inter for me.

On another note Beckham look likely to be out for the rest of the season, including the World Cup, with a torn Achilles tendon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

445279.ie wrote: »
    Hear Beckham has torn his achillies tendon and is probably out of the world cup (another debate whether he'd have gone anyway)

I'm sure he'd have went alright. But the fact that he is injured makes no difference whatsoever to England's chances.

The bad thing about this is that we are gonna have to put up with some amount of media bullsh!t over the next couple of months.

"Beck's could still make World Cup" Exclusive
    "Beck's ruled out" Exclusive
    "The End of the World for Becks" Exclusive
    "Hope for Beck's" Exclusive

And so on and so forth. A mediocre squad player is gonna cause a media sh!tstorm from now until June!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Inter slip up yet again tonight drawing away at Palermo 1-1. This is a Newcastle 95-96 style collapse. A win for Super Milan will remarkably put them top tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Inter slip up yet again tonight drawing away at Palermo 1-1. This is a Newcastle 95-96 style collapse. A win for Super Milan will remarkably put them top tomorrow night.

Yep. Hillarious at the certain Serie A experts round here sucking Joses knob cause he beat a shockingingly bad Chelsea in the CL, saying they now are real contenders for the CL.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah, we have dropped 11 points in the last 6 games and only won 1 of those games, but Milan have a tough game against Napoli tomorrow and have a more difficult run-in imo. I still reckon we will win the scudetto but we have to start winning again, starting on Wednesday night against Livorno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep. Hillarious at the certain Serie A experts round here sucking Joses knob cause he beat a shockingingly bad Chelsea in the CL, saying they now are real contenders for the CL.:rolleyes:

Ush

what is it with you and digs at posters, lots of teams do bad in their respect leagues and do well in the cl, hell Liverpool are the prime example

Your really getting a bad rep around here Ush.

Headshot wrote: »
    Ush

what is it with you and digs at posters, lots of teams do bad in their respect leagues and do well in the cl, hell Liverpool are the prime example

Your really getting a bad rep around here Ush.

You're not comparing 2 like leagues, EPL is stronger than Serie A. I've no interest in your opinion of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Btw my favourite ewas from Della le sport.

"italians show superior class, Schenider, Etoo and Motta rise above the english"

paraphrasing

:D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Btw my favourite ewas from Della le sport.

"italians show superior class, Schenider, Etoo and Motta rise above the english"

paraphrasing

:D

Oh they're Gods in Italy. Funny Lippis reaction to it though, saying that Inter aren't even Italian, and they have a foreign coach.

• Advertisement

Strange tho the italian press slating england and lauding italian football over it but using foreign players as their basis :confused:

Inter on a major wobble are the focusing on the CL too much? 2 draws in a row is that the 1st time in 4 years?

You're not comparing 2 like leagues, EPL is stronger than Serie A. I've no interest in your opinion of me.

tbf its not just me that has opinion of you

I honestly dont get this league performances ****, Europe is a totally different beast all together.

do you remember 06/07 CL season, AC Milan won it, well guess what they came 4th in their domestic league

so league form means ****

Strange tho the italian press slating england and lauding italian football over it but using foreign players as their basis :confused:

Inter on a major wobble are the focusing on the CL too much? 2 draws in a row is that the 1st time in 4 years?

That is funny but I mean, there was no Italian players to pick from. Meanwhile quite a few of the Italian NT was on show against Fulham...:p

do you remember 06/07 CL season, AC Milan won it, well guess what they came 4th in their domestic league

Uhh the last 2 change that stat a bit.

EDIT looking back over the last 10 years Milan and pool are the only real over achievers? ie winners who didnt win their league or do well in the same season.

it's not 2 draws in a row, we lost against Catania last week and have also drawn 2 in a row against Napoli and Samp last month.

tbf its not just me that has opinion of you

I honestly dont get this league performances ****, Europe is a totally different beast all together.

I won't lose sleep for a couple of United fans whining. And it's abit rich to be fair, posters who say things like "you bore me" and "worst thread since blah, or my fav poster" etc...

Of course I remember it, do you even know what you're saying? Their league form TOTALLY conincided, I believe they won something like the last 9 games to finish in fourth place.

Uhh the last 2 change that stat a bit.

what do you mean the last 2 & are you referring to seasons ?

are you serious ?

dor83 wrote: »
    it's not 2 draws in a row, we lost against Catania last week and have also drawn 2 in a row against Napoli and Samp last month.

sorry thought catania was 3-3 for some reason :confused: fairly sure it was reported as 3-3 here.

But is it the worst run of form in last 4 years?

what do you mean the last 2 & are you referring to seasons ?

are you serious ?

The last 2 winners of the CL won their league, i then looked at the last 10 and only Pool and Milan won it whilst finishing in a poor league place.

Of the last 20 finalists theres a large amount who won their leagues. So league form does play a major part, be foolish to think otherewise unless your a "cup" team.

sorry thought catania was 3-3 for some reason :confused: fairly sure it was reported as 3-3 here.

But is it the worst run of form in last 4 years?
    I think it's the worst points total at this stage of the season by the leaders in 4 or 5 years. We are on an awful run in the Serie A at the moment but that will end soon, hopefully on Wednesday night.

• Advertisement

I won't lose sleep for a couple of United fans whining. And it's abit rich to be fair, posters who say things like "you bore me" and "worst thread since blah, or my fav poster" etc...

Of course I remember it, do you even know what you're saying? Their league form TOTALLY conincided, I believe they won something like the last 9 games to finish in fourth place.

not just man utd fans tbf, sorry

there ya go again, your very aggressive poster, its your view or the highway, never listening to other peoples. It does matter how many they win, they still came 4th, liverpool came 5th.

History teaches us that league form doesnt matter, of course it helps buts its not the end of end all

not just man utd fans tbf, sorry

there ya go again, your very aggressive poster, its your view or the highway, never listening to other peoples. It does matter how many they win, they still came 4th, liverpool came 5th.

History teaches us that league form doesnt matter, of course it helps buts its not the end of end all

Haha, not aggressive at all. Simply how it is.

I'm guessing you meant it doesn't matter how many they win. When it clearly does when it is FORM being the issue, and when they began doing well in the CL, they also were doing well in the league so they finished in 4th.

History teaches us it clearly does matter. Never said it's the end of end all? I don't know what else to say here.

Haha, not aggressive at all. Simply how it is.

I'm guessing you meant it doesn't matter how many they win. When it clearly does when it is FORM being the issue, and when they began doing well in the CL, they also were doing well in the league so they finished in 4th.

History teaches us it clearly does matter. Never said it's the end of end all? I don't know what else to say here.

mate im sorry to say you are aggressive and it gets tiring and annoying, I take to satisfaction in saying it to you but im hoping you may copp on

inter werent in form but yet raised their game to beat chelsea, so i keep telling ya Europe is totally different ball game mate.

theres no need to be smart ass either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Inter were shocking today, and were lucky Palermo didn't punish them on the counter.

mate im sorry to say you are aggressive and it gets tiring and annoying, I take to satisfaction in saying it to you but im hoping you may copp on

inter werent in form but yet raised their game to beat chelsea, so i keep telling ya Europe is totally different ball game mate.

theres no need to be smart ass either

That's awful that you think that. Truely it is.

Anyway, Europe doesn't come into it. Inter did what Inter do, didn't need to raise their game as Chelsea sufficiently lowered theirs.

That's awful that you think that. Truely it is.

Anyway, Europe doesn't come into it. Inter did what Inter do, didn't need to raise their game as Chelsea sufficiently lowered theirs.

right

I may as well me hitting my head of my keyboard, im astonished you think inter didnt raise their game against chelsea

inter have been brutal in Serie A

so to go from those bad results to beating a chelsea team that's playing good stuff and are very good at home, idk what to say

if you dont call that raising their game by inter, idk what to call it

right

I may as well me hitting my head of my keyboard, im astonished you think inter didnt raise their game against chelsea

inter have been brutal in Serie A

so to go from those bad results to beating a chelsea team that's playing good stuff and are very good at home, idk what to say

What you do is watch the game again and look how poor Chelsea were. I admittantly didn't watch Chelsea play West Ham in their last game before in which they won 4-1. Chelsea have been playing fantastic for alot of this season, but their was slight hints that they were dropping in form(Terry, A.Cole, etc..). Despite not having seen the West Ham game I was expecting Chelsea to win comfortably if thy played even close to how they did earlier in the season. But like I said, they showed so little. It wasn't like it was a last minute sucker punch, Chelsea went out whimpering and so I believe as then, it showed more about Chelsea than Inter.

What you do is watch the game again and look how poor Chelsea were. I admittantly didn't watch Chelsea play West Ham in their last game before in which they won 4-1. Chelsea have been playing fantastic for alot of this season, but their was slight hints that they were dropping in form(Terry, A.Cole, etc..). Despite not having seen the West Ham game I was expecting Chelsea to win comfortably if thy played even close to how they did earlier in the season. But like I said, they showed so little. It wasn't like it was a last minute sucker punch, Chelsea went out whimpering and so I believe as then, it showed more about Chelsea than Inter.

Chelsea werent allowed to play by inter, their defending was awesome, last ditch tackles were epic.

A. cole is injured, regarding Terry he wasnt much troubled against inter, I was expecting chelsea to win too but the performance I saw from Inter blew me away, I was well impressed.

Ill leave it at that mate, im heading off

Chelsea werent allowed to play by inter, their defending was awesome, last ditch tackles were epic.

A. cole is injured, regarding Terry he wasnt much troubled against inter, I was expecting chelsea to win too but the performance I saw from Inter blew me away, I was well impressed.

Ill leave it at that mate, im heading off

Yeah, A.Cole being injured and John Terry looking slightly suspect in certain games, just slight dips in form, Chelsea stopped looking as good.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement

Ush1- Whats is your actual point here? Nobody is claiming they'll win the Champions League although there's obviously an outside chance. I'm sure everyone would have them as firm second favorites against Barca if they both make the semi finals.

It's the first time in Josè's reign that they've gone a such a bad run, and I'm delighted as a Milan fan, but ive know doubt that they're by far the best team in Italy and of course the result against Chelsea was significant. You only have to look at both the derby's this year to see the class difference between the two Milanese clubs. Any team can go through a poor spell over a month or two and you can't go making crazy conclusions based on that.

Ush1- Whats is your actual point here? Nobody is claiming they'll win the Champions League although there's obviously an outside chance. I'm sure everyone would have them as firm second favorites against Barca if they both make the semi finals.

It's the first time in Josè reign that they've gone a such a bad run, and I'm delighted as a Milan fan, but ive know doubt that they're by far the best team in Italy and of course the result against Chelsea was significant. You only have to look at both the derby's this year to see the class difference between the two Milanese clubs. Any team can go through a poor spell over a month or two and you can't go making crazy conclusions based on that.

Well, plenty of people in fact are claiming they are in their alongside Man. United and Barca as clear favs. I just happen to disagree.

Most definitely the best team in Serie A, sign of the times of Italian league. After both those derbies and the clear gulf, Milan can now win and go ahead?

I mean, to me this all just a sideshow anyway, I'm judging by actually watching them play above all else. Even when they were beating teams and playing at their best in the Serie A, for me, wouldn't have touched United or Barca. But of course, anomalies can happen but I think watching them shows a gulf and leaves them far away from being CL winning material.

Well, plenty of people in fact are claiming they are in their alongside Man. United and Barca as clear favs. I just happen to disagree.

Who is the plenty of people? Bookmakers decide who are favorites and any Bookmaker you can go to have Barca as favourites, then United and then Inter are next in the betting. So it's pretty retarded to even acknowledge anybody saying they're as likely to win.

The way you post though, you think that everything is a certainty in football. If this was the case it would be a very boring game. You need to learn to be able to disagree with people without coming across too preachy because people will only end up responding in a negative manner to you and it's hard to win back reputation as a credible poster!

Who is the plenty of people? Bookmakers decide who are favorites and any Bookmaker you can go to have Barca as favourites, then United and then Inter are next in the betting. So it's pretty retarded to even acknowledge anybody saying they're as likely to win.

The way you post though, you think that everything is a certainty in football. If this was the case it would be a very boring game. You need to learn to be able to disagree with people without coming across too preachy because people will only end up responding in a negative manner to you and it's hard to win back reputation as a credible poster!

Bookmakers aren't ipso facto. I'm addressing peoples opinions. And yes, bookmakers make odds, that's about it. And I gotta agree with how they see it. So you reckon if someone says Inter are as likely to win it, it's retarded to acknowledge them as bookies odds differ? Fair enough.

No, I don't think everything is certainty in football but the reason you have analysis is to TRY to understand things. It would be alot easier to not predict anything and not look at form, facts, etc.., but hey, gets you nowhere.

I'll say this then as nicely as I can. You haven't read all my posts. I've agreed with plenty of people on plenty of things. I've conceded things I'm not sure on and reputation is of no interest to me, don't mind who finds who credible or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bookies odds at this stage are all determined by how much money people put on it. If a horse is 100/1 and a bunch of people put tons of money on it it'll be less than evens the nezt day. Odds wise Inter have a great chance of winning because they're the only team with a "gimme" tie in most peoples' eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Napoli are 1-0 up against Milan and destroying them.

• Advertisement

Napoli are 1-0 up against Milan and destroying them.
    1-1 now, why did Pato come off? Has to be an injury to take him off after 19 mins.

1-1 now, why did Pato come off? Has to be an injury to take him off after 19 mins.
    Yep, went off with injury.

If Milan win this, they go top. A miracle considering the squad they have.

Yep, went off with injury.
    Any Idea of how bad it was and what type of injury? It would be a shame if he misses a few games, big blow to Milans hopes of winning the scudetto.
    If Milan win this, they go top. A miracle considering the squad they have.
    It has looked like Inter are trying their hardest to not win it, we have been awful in the Serie A lately and even Roma will have a chance now. I still think we will win it, we have an easier run in, Milan have a very difficult last 5 games against Samp, Palermo, Fiorentina, Genoa and Juve and I just cant see them winning all of those games, but if they do they will deserve it.

Thiago Silva playing half the match upfront for Milan. Never seen Milan this desperate for the win so far this season.

Any Idea of how bad it was and what type of injury? It would be a shame if he misses a few games, big blow to Milans hopes of winning the scudetto.
    No idea about Pato, looked like a relapse of his recent injury.

• Advertisement

Oh, and Italian football is completely bent, even at the Serie A level.

The 1-1 result in the Catania - Chievo game was backed at as low as evens before the start of the game on Betfair. Surprise, surprise, the scoreline is currently 1-1 with ten to go.

Oh, and Italian football is completely bent, even at the Serie A level.

The 1-1 result in the Catania - Chievo game was backed at as low as evens before the start of the game on Betfair. Surprise, surprise, the scoreline is currently 1-1 with ten to go.
    I think you might be reading too much into it, it's not a hard result to call when you consider Chievo score and concede an average of about 1 goal per game at home and Catania score about an average of 1 goal per game away over the season so far.

On another note, 3 of the bottom 4 got wins today so could bring Udinese and Catania into the relegation fight. It should be a good end to the season in Serie A with 3 clubs competing for the title and some great competition for Europe and to avoid relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think you might be reading too much into it, it's not a hard result to call when you consider Chievo score and concede an average of about 1 goal per game at home and Catania score about an average of 1 goal per game away over the season so far.

Please, the game is a fix. Look at the odds in the last 10 games in Serie A and you'll find more anomolies than the X-Files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Please, the game is a fix. Look at the odds in the last 10 games in Serie A and you'll find more anomolies than the X-Files

Says the Juve fan.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

£2.5m matched in bets on betfair on that game and many bookies stopped taking bets on it a few days ago.

Bent.

Apparently Inter are after Fabregas.
    Inter manager Jose Mourinho has launched an audacious £50 million bid to prise midfielder Cesc Fabregas away from Arsenal, reports the Daily Mail.

The Spaniard has been a long-term target of both Barcelona and Real Madrid, but the 'Special One' is hopeful an offer of £30m plus £20m-rated striker Mario Balotelli will persuade Gunners boss Arsene Wenger to sell his most valuable asset to the Nerazzurri.

Fabregas has often pledged his future to the Gunners, but a fifth trophyless season could yet persuade him to change his mind. His current contract at the Emirates Stadium runs until 2013, and the club are set to offer him a new five-year deal worth £120,000-a-week to try and persuade him to stay even longer.

Reports on Tuesday suggested Inter had already added Fabregas's name to the insurance policy that covers all their playing staff, so confident are the club that they will land their man.

Arsenal have long been admirers of Balotelli, who may be key to the deal's success. Wenger has reportedly sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old on more than one occasion this season, and the player himself is believed to want to leave the club after a bust-up with Jose Mourinho that saw him left in Italy for the Nerazzurri's successful Champions League visit to Chelsea at the beginning of the month.

But Arsenal are already set to sign Bordeaux striker Maraoune Chamakh in the summer, and might feel their squad does not need another striker. Both Manchester City and Chelsea have also been a linked with a move for Balotelli.

Arsenal declined to comment.
    Here's a link to the original story about Inter naming him in their insurance policy. I would be very surprised if it was true but why would Inter name him in their insurance policy?

Bojinov's 90th min winner against Milan tonight, has opened up a manageable 4pt gap for Inter over both Milan and Roma.

I would fancy Roma over Milan at this stage to be the ones to challenge Inter.

If Roma can beat Inter at home they will be 1pts behind and hold the head-to-head advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Bojinov's 90th min winner against Milan tonight, has opened up a manageable 4pt gap for Inter over both Milan and Roma.

I would fancy Roma over Milan at this stage to be the ones to challenge Inter.

If Roma can beat Inter at home they will be 1pts behind and hold the head-to-head advantage.

This is the point where Inter win 7-0 in Rome and Serie A reverts to being a one-horse race.

carlop wrote: »
    This is the point where Inter win 7-0 in Rome and Serie A reverts to being a one-horse race.

Yea, excatly.

I would be backing Inter all day long. But if they were to lose it at this stage I think it would be Roma rather than Milan that would pip them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oh, and football is completely bent, even at the Serie A level.

Fixed your post.

Roma beat Inter 2-1 at Olympico.

There are more horses now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement