Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2009/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Yeah I seen that, very funny.

Lazio fans hate Roma a lot more than Liverpool fans hate Man Utd, Didn't see the kop celebrating Chelsea's goals like that.

That's because Liverpool have a history and pride in themselves. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Lazio players were probably afraid of getting lynched if they scored.

Feel sorry for Roma and Ranieri.

Since 2006 I just can't take this league seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anyone who thinks Lazio threw this match is an idiot. they are still in danger of being relegated and they have a lot of injuries and suspensions. Inter were just better than them.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Lazio threw this match is an idiot. they are still in danger of being relegated and they have a lot of injuries and suspensions. Inter were just better than them.

They were not in danger of relegation after Atalanta drew. Did you watch the match? When ever Lazio moved towards goal they were booed by their fans and then just started to pass the ball around aimlessly. I suggest you watch the match before you go about calling people 'idiots'.

Even the respected sports media over there have said Lazio were uninterested and both Giovanni Lopez and Cristian Brocchi have come out and said that they didn't try at all. http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/serie_a/lazio/2010/05/02-109709/Lopez%3A+«Dopo+il+gol+non+abbiamo+fatto+più+niente»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Aw please, I need to see a picture of that :D

http://lazio.theoffside.com/team-news/oh-nooo.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

RichTea wrote: »
    Even the respected sports media over there have said Lazio were uninterested and both Giovanni Lopez and Cristian Brocchi have come out and said that they didn't try at all. http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/serie_a/lazio/2010/05/02-109709/Lopez%3A+«Dopo+il+gol+non+abbiamo+fatto+più+niente»
    That is not what either said, both said that the fans cheering for Inter didn't help the players Lopez said
    Maybe the players were conditioned by the fans. But I will say that the players were only focused on the match, and wanting to win it.
    and Brocchi said
    The atmosphere in the stadium may have conditioned the way we played, but in the first half, we came out with the right spirit, wanting to score.
    If they had thrown the game then Muslera wouldn't have made so many good saves, Koralov, Zarate and Hitzlsperger all played well too. Lazio looked more like the away side last night, which is not really surprising considering the whole stadium was cheering on Inter. You should also remember that Lazio are not a good attacking side anyway, they ave only scored 34 all season and only one team has scored less, Livorno who are bottom of the table.

dor83 wrote: »
    That is not what either said, both said that the fans cheering for Inter didn't help the players Lopez said and Brocchi saidIf they had thrown the game then Muslera wouldn't have made so many good saves, Koralov, Zarate and Hitzlsperger all played well too. Lazio looked more like the away side last night, which is not really surprising considering the whole stadium was cheering on Inter. You should also remember that Lazio are not a good attacking side anyway, they ave only scored 34 all season and only one team has scored less, Livorno who are bottom of the table.

Ah come on, they didn't give any effort at all. Those are pretty poorly translate articles from goal.com there. The Lazio fans had a huge effect on this game and Lazio's players pandered to them. They simply weren't bothered. It's no fault of Inter's, I am in no way suggesting that they arranged to play out a win for Inter. What I am saying is that Lazio were happy to lose that match.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/may/03/lazio-roma-inter-serie-a
    http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/sc111.html
    http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/gr87.html

There are countless journalists and observers who saw what happened and that know that yesterday was a farce. It's not fault of Inter's, it's just the way Serie A is.

They were not in danger of relegation after Atalanta drew. Did you watch the match?

They still need a point to be safe by my calculations. Udinase will beat them so that means they have to atleats draw with livorno, who have only conceded 23 goals at home and lazio have only won 7 games away this year. They aren't scoring much either.

I did watch the match, I thought Muslera was probably MOTM, if Lazio weren't arsed why did he break his bollocks trying to keep them in it?

Zarate went close more than once, Koralov and Hitz weren't far off either.

Liverpool played just as badly against Chelsea, why don't you go post in the chelsea thread about liverpool handing chelsea the title to spite man u? that's about as likely as it was that Lazio let inter win last night.

They even brought on Foggia moved Mauri deeper to create width and try and create space for attacks.

Seaneh wrote: »
    They still need a point to be safe by my calculations. Udinase will beat them so that means they have to atleats draw with livorno, who have only conceded 23 goals at home and lazio have only won 7 games away this year. They aren't scoring much either.

I did watch the match, I thought Muslera was probably MOTM, if Lazio weren't arsed why did he break his bollocks trying to keep them in it?

Zarate went close more than once, Koralov and Hitz weren't far off either.

Liverpool played just as badly against Chelsea, why don't you go post in the chelsea thread about liverpool handing chelsea the title to spite man u? that's about as likely as it was that Lazio let inter win last night.

They even brought on Foggia moved Mauri deeper to create width and try and create space for attacks.

I happened to watch both matches and I think you'll find that I'm not the only one who will have said that Lazio didn't give an honest account of themselves unlike Liverpool. How likely is it that Atalanta will win their final two matches? Aside from their recent defeats to Inter and Roma, Lazio have been one of the most in form sides in Serie A.

• Advertisement

Ledesma denies Lazio rolled over

From the horses mouth.

Rocchi was dropped because he told the club he wouldn't score if it meant helping Roma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/may/03/lazio-roma-inter-serie-a
    "If you win we'll beat you up," bellowed the Lazio fans a few hours later at the Stadio Olimpico, and their words were not aimed at the opposition

Pretty damning article.

Also if Inter win the title they will surpass AC Milan, with both currently tied on 17 scudettos, Inter ''winning'' the last 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Lazio's president has apparently said he received a bullet in the post during the week along with a message saying "if you lose to Inter you're finished."

A pretty bad week for Serie A, and with a very high risk of crowd trouble at the cup final tomorrow between Roma and Inter, things could get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

There was crowd trouble at Juve vs Bari too.

There was crowd trouble at Juve vs Bari too.

Looked quite nasty as well. It's interesting, and shameful, that there was a lot of violence in football across Europe this weekend - Luton, Hillsborough, Rovers v Dundalk.

Also of note, Lippi has raised the hopes of Francesco Totti coming out of international retirement. He says that we'll have to wait until the squad of 30 comes out and that he will be waiting for a phone call or letter to come from Er Pupone. I have to say, it would be great to see him as part of the Azzurri again.

• Advertisement

I presume the Stadio Olimpico has been designated a neutral venue for the Coppa Italia final tomorrow?

Not sure if I prefer the old two legged finals or not.

Amazing that this will be the fifth final between these two in the past six years!

Hope Roma batter them.

Coppa Italia Final kicks off in about 30 mins, here are the line-ups.

Roma: Julio Sergio; Burdisso, Mexes, Juan, Riise; Pizarro, De Rossi; Taddei, Perrotta, Vucinic; Toni
    Roma bench: Lobont, Motta, Tonetto, Brighi, Menez, Baptista, Totti.

Inter: Julio Cesar; Zanetti, Materazzi, Cordoba, Chivu; Cambiasso; Maicon, Sneijder, Motta, Eto'o; Milito.
    Inter bench: Toldo, Samuel, Muntari, Mariga, Pandev, Balotelli, Stankovic.

This will be shown delayed on ESPN at 9:45pm so if you are discussing the match would you please use spoilers because there may be people who want to watch it then.

very surprised Totti isnt starting

golazo inter

How come Roma have (or appear to have) the home advantage?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kinaldo wrote: »
    golazo inter

How come Roma have (or appear to have) the home advantage?

The venue was picked ahead of the final

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    The venue was picked ahead of the final

Inter appear to only have a small section of fans though, surely it should be 50:50?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not sure then. Might have something to do with the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I can't believe Totti just did that. Literally kicked Balotelli as hard as he could and got himself sent off. What a nasty, vile individual.

I still hope Totti does come out of international exile, the Azzurri are so boring otherwise.

I can't believe Totti just did that. Literally kicked Balotelli as hard as he could and got himself sent off. What a nasty, vile individual.

He's a nutter. Might harm his chances of the recall if he comes out of international retirement.
    I still hope Totti does come out of international exile, the Azzurri are so boring otherwise.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

serious auld kick alright!

People have been saying Balotelli has needed a kick up the backside for ages. Totti just took it a bit too literally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Totti is an absolute digrace, he kicked Motta and Balotelli on the top of their heads when both were on the ground. I hope the FIGC come down on him hard. He epitomises Roma, a bunch of petty sore losers.

He epitomises Roma, a bunch of petty sore losers.
    You can say that about Mourinho but don't say that about Ranieri!

any video of the kick out ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Don't let this overshadow Inter winning the first leg of what could be a historic treble. Some yoke that Mourinho.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Don't let this overshadow Inter winning the first leg of what could be a historic treble. Some yoke that Mourinho.

what if he merely only wins the Coppa Italia, would that not conversely make him a huge failure?

Headshot wrote: »
    any video of the kick out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

what if he merely only wins the Coppa Italia, would that not conversely make him a huge failure?

Nah, it'd be hugely hugely disappointing to lose both the league and CL from the position they're in now, but even if they lose the CL final he has firmly established them as a force to be reckoned with in Europe whih is a massive achievement.

Anyway I can't see them losing either from here tbh.;)

but even if they lose the CL final he has firmly established them as a force to be reckoned with in Europe whih is a massive achievement.

I wouldn't go that far, if he leaves Inter in the summer I can easily see them going back to their old ways in Europe, whether they win it this season on not. And I think Bayern will do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

You can say that about Mourinho but don't say that about Ranieri!

Ranieri maybe not so much, but certainly the fans, players and the club's hierarchy.

Nah, it'd be hugely hugely disappointing to lose both the league and CL from the position they're in now, but even if they lose the CL final he has firmly established them as a force to be reckoned with in Europe whih is a massive achievement.

They'll win the league at least. I still think Bayern have an honest chance in the Champions League.

Ibrahimovic returns to Juventus?
    Saturday 8 May, 2010
    Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport has made the extraordinary claim that Juventus could bring back Zlatan Ibrahimovic this summer.

The Bianconeri-centric media outlet splashed Ibrahimovic across its front page this morning with a brand new transfer rumour.

As Ibra is struggling in his first season at Barcelona and failing to gel with Leo Messi, there are reports he could be on his way out of the Nou Camp.

Few can afford the Swede’s £9m per season wages and he’d cost around £32m to tempt back to Serie A.

The Juve fans would be unlikely to accept his return, as Ibrahimovic left the club in the wake of the 2006 Calciopoli scandal to join rivals Inter.

It is also difficult for the striker to make the move to Juventus, as they have failed to qualify for the Champions League.

"Zlatan, sei uno zingaro!"

God I would LOVE IT if Ranieri beats Mourinho for the title.
    Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho has launched an attack on Claudio Ranieri on the club's official website, saying the Roma coach was considered a "loser" at Chelsea and mocking his match preparations.

Inter, currently leading Serie A two points ahead of Roma, kept their hopes of a treble alive on Wednesday night as they saw off Ranieri's men 1-0 to clinch the Coppa Italia in a bad-tempered match in which Roma captain Francesco Totti was dismissed.

The relationship between the clubs has not been good in recent times, and Mourinho has been referred to the Italian Football Federation's (FIGC) disciplinary commission over comments he made suggesting Roma could offer Siena a financial incentive to beat Inter on the final day of the Serie A season.

Ranieri was unhappy about Mourinho's behaviour and said: "This is not the kind of football I like. I'm different, as I like respect and I give respect. It's too easy to motivate a squad by creating a siege mentality and feeling under attack from everyone.

"Sport is an important vehicle for Italian society. Behaving like this is launching ticking time bombs. I am a man of sport and I like football.

"Is Mourinho a phenomenon? It is the media that gives him that aura. For me he is a good coach and I won't add anything more."

Mourinho has hit back at those remarks and, amid reports Ranieri had tried to inspire his players by showing them the film Gladiator, suggested his predecessor at Chelsea was treating his team like children.

In a statement on the Inter website, Mourinho said: "Bearing in mind that on Wednesday night Roma should've ended the Coppa Italia final with six men on the field, seeing as Philippe Mexes, Francesco Totti, Rodrigo Taddei and Nicolas Burdisso did what was necessary to get sent off, today there was talk of how to motivate players.

"You do it every day by working with the squad, session after session. You certainly don't do it by showing the team a film before a cup final. Players are professionals. They should not be treated like children.

"We preferred to work on the field and study Roma carefully to find their weak points. If before a match I made my team watch Gladiator, they'd start laughing or call the doctor asking if I was ill.

"I don't think I am a phenomenon, but I never cried over spilt milk and always worked hard to help my team.

"Before the Coppa Italia final, I watched six Roma games to find their weak points, spending three hours on each at the computer running programmes that help my work.

"Of course, it's easier to just pick a movie to project before a match, but Ranieri has forgotten his players are champions and not children.

"I never said I was a phenomenon, but it's certainly not my fault if, in 2004 after coming to Chelsea and asking why Ranieri was replaced, I was told they wanted to win and it was never going to happen with him.

"It is really not my fault if he was considered a loser at Chelsea."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=783489&sec=europe&cc=5739

• Advertisement

Did Roma really watch Galdiator befor the Cup final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Surely this must be the final nail in the "Totti to South Africa" bandwagon, I'm a huge fan of his, terrific player, one of the most naturally gifted players around, but in my opinion, the Balotelli incident should rule him out of contention. Lippi refuses to pick the ultra talented Antonio Cassano because of past experiences with him, he believes that Fantantonio is a bad influence and just cannot be trusted. If Lippi truly believes this, then he must be consistent and also ostracize Totti- The fact that he purposely got himself sent off with a savage kick like that in the closing minutes of the Coppa Italia final, surely shows that he cannot be trusted either. Lippi cannot pick favourites, it should be one rule for all, no exceptions.
    The man I feel sorry for is Fabrizio Miccoli, a fantastic player who has had a brilliant season, yet he won't get a look into Lippi's squad. Lippi continuously ignores him, there's no record of ill-discipline, he has been banging in the goals all season but Lippi has shown no interest in him at all, it's ridiculous.

As much as I like and respect Totti, if he were to be chosen for South Africa it would be an absolute disgrace. It would make Lippi nothing more than a hypocrite. To Miccoli, the man who deserves the spot on the place more than anyone else, it doesn't make a bit of difference if Totti is chosen or not, he already knows that he hasn't a snowballs chance in hell of making that trip

Alledgedly Juve's transfer targets are:

Image_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Some of those links are just outrageous, Juve aren't exactly the most attractive team around anymore so how they expect to tempt Robben, Ibra etc to join is beyond me. They're a club in serious trouble, all the way down from management to the players themselves. They need to sort themselves out pretty rapid or I can't see them making the CL next year either. Anyway, the targets
    Sagna: No chance
    Kjaer: It's possible but If I were him, I'd hold out for a better move
    Kolarov: Maybe, but they'll have to find somebody to take Grosso first
    Montolivo: Very possible, the most likely of the players on this list to make the move. He fits the bill for that creative midfield role and la Viola usually sell at least one top player each year (The only player whose transfer has been rules out is Jovetic, could very well mean Montolivo is on his way)
    Robben: No chance
    Van Persie: No Chance
    Ibra: No chance

what a peach of a goal by milito

Headshot wrote: »
    what a peach of a goal by milito
    Yeah, wasn't expecting it at all either, I expected him to strike it with power.

Also the Roma game being 0-0 at half time and Inter winning, if it stays like this we could win the scudetto today.

• Advertisement

mr.mayo wrote: »
    Some of those links are just outrageous, Juve aren't exactly the most attractive team around anymore so how they expect to tempt Robben, Ibra etc to join is beyond me. They're a club in serious trouble, all the way down from management to the players themselves. They need to sort themselves out pretty rapid or I can't see them making the CL next year either. Anyway, the targets
    Sagna: No chance
    Kjaer: It's possible but If I were him, I'd hold out for a better move
    Kolarov: Maybe, but they'll have to find somebody to take Grosso first
    Montolivo: Very possible, the most likely of the players on this list to make the move. He fits the bill for that creative midfield role and la Viola usually sell at least one top player each year (The only player whose transfer has been rules out is Jovetic, could very well mean Montolivo is on his way)
    Robben: No chance
    Van Persie: No Chance
    Ibra: No chance

They want to reinvent themselves this summer and apparently have the money to do it. They haven't started off well, they urgently need a big name manager before they can even attempt to start rounding up players. To be honest, despite the fact that they've had a lackluster season they have some good players to work with already. A couple of transfers and they could be on the road to reclaiming the Scudetto within 3-4 years. :(

Yeah, wasn't expecting it at all either, I expected him to strike it with power.

Also the Roma game being 0-0 at half time and Inter winning, if it stays like this we could win the scudetto today.

Roma will probably win today but it won't make much of a difference. Title is still Inter's.

Roma will probably win today but it won't make much of a difference. Title is still Inter's.
    It would be nice to win it today, to win it at home is always nice and we would be able to rest a few players next week too.

It would be nice to win it today, to win it at home is always nice and we would be able to rest a few players next week too.

Still no breakthrough at the Olimpico.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Get in, Totti makes 2-1 from the penalty spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement