Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2009/10

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Seaneh wrote: »
    Frey to leave Fiorentina?

Football-italia.net

Frey: 'I need new challenges'

Monday 24 May, 2010

Would be a great signing for any top level team.

United, Arsenal, Milan and a few others will all be interested.

Should have been going to the World Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

RichTea wrote: »
    Should have been going to the World Cup.

Yeah, def France's number 2 by rights, at least their number 2!

But, alas, his star sign is wrong, or eye colour, or he combs his hair in the wrong direction or whatever other mental reasons that nut job has for not picking players.

Mad that he had to retire from international footie because of that weirdo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Think he'd be a perfect fit for Arsenal actually or Juventus if buffon leaves. But if CL is a big deal for him there'd be no point going there this season....

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Think he'd be a perfect fit for Arsenal actually or Juventus if buffon leaves. But if CL is a big deal for him there'd be no point going there this season....

Yeah, I think he only want's to leave to play CL footie, so Juve wouldn't make sense.

Could see him at Milan. Dida hasn't been offered an extension yet, Christian could go to Juve if Buffon leaves and with Roma and Storari we'd have decent cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gotta love Mourinho. Here he is in tears saying goodbye to Marco Materazzi. His players really do love him, and he loves them back. Except Balotelli that is.

• Advertisement

Milan to launch bid for Ibra?

Football-Italia.net
    The Spanish Press are certain that Milan will launch a bid for Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Catalan daily Sport claims that David Villa's arrival at the Camp Nou means Ibrahimovic is no longer unsellable despite denials from Barcelona's directors.

The Swede has apparently been told that 'he has full freedom to decide if he stays at Barcelona or not'.

A lot was made of the fact Pippo Inzaghi is in decline and that Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has flopped since his move from Real Madrid last summer.

Sport believes that Ibrahimovic would cost €80m, a figure that seems beyond Milan who have introduced a number of budget cutting measures over the last year.

However, if, as La Gazzetta dello Sport understands, Berlusconi plans to sell a 25-30 per cent stake in Milan to Russian gas giants Gazprom, then there's a chance that the Rossoneri will return to making big transfers.

That said, it seems distinctly unlikely Milan would be able to pull off a move for Ibrahimovic given his cost and ties to Inter.

O, please Mr. Berlusconi, let the nice Russian men buy us presents!

I'll ave an Ibra and an Evra and a Frey and a Mexes and a Otamendi and a Montolivo and a Palombo and a Ramos and sure feck it, if it's not too much hassle I'll have a Dzeko too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Evra

lol

Headshot wrote: »
    Evra

lol

Ah, he's a good player, he deserves a season or two at a club with a bit pedigree.

If you really love him, let him go (let Vidic go while you're at it).

Small clubs can't expect to hold on to world class players forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nice try Seaneh

but not good enough im afraid

Headshot wrote: »
    nice try Seaneh

but not good enough im afraid

Must successful club in the world Mr. Headshot, most successful club in the world.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    Gotta love Mourinho. Here he is in tears saying goodbye to Marco Materazzi. His players really do love him, and he loves them back. Except Balotelli that is.

He actually does love Mario, perhaps more than most of his players. Balotelli's antics make it tough to field him all of the time though, despite his unquantifiable talent.

He actually does love Mario, perhaps more than most of his players. Balotelli's antics make it tough to field him all of the time though, despite his unquantifiable talent.

Yeah, you could see at the end of the CL Final, Mario was right beside Mou at the side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

So Inter have agreed a deal with Benitez, all thats needed is his signature.
    “We have reached a deal with Rafa Benitez. Tomorrow we’ll announce the presentation Press conference,” said Inter President Massimo Moratti.
    Negotiations were confirmed to be in the final stages today and this evening Moratti left the club headquarters with director Marco Branca.

“We have reached a deal with Benitez,” the President told Sky Sport 24 Italia.

“Tomorrow we’ll announce the date and time of the presentation Press conference.”

The Spaniard is a free agent after terminating his contract with Liverpool by mutual consent.

"We finalised the last details, which were not all that important anyway. All we are waiting for is his signature and it's all done."

There is no official word yet on the length of the contract or personal terms.

The reports suggest that it will be a two-year deal with an option for a third, paying Benitez around £3.5m per season.

Benitez himself is not yet in Milan, as he is on holiday on the Italian island of Sardinia.
    I wonder how long he will last, I give him a season at most because ,imo, he is not good enough against the smaller teams(thats why he never won the EPL imo) and I also think the smaller teams in Serie A are harder to beat. No scudetto this year me thinks, as much as it would be nice to get 5 in a row on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

dor83 wrote: »
    So Inter have agreed a deal with Benitez, all thats needed is his signature.
    I wonder how long he will last, I give him a season at most because ,imo, he is not good enough against the smaller teams(thats why he never won the EPL imo) and I also think the smaller teams in Serie A are harder to beat. No scudetto this year me thinks, as much as it would be nice to get 5 in a row on the pitch.

I think Inter still have to be big favourites to win serie A. It's not like Benitez doesn't have pedigree in winning league titles, and I just can't see any team placed to challenge.

Roma punched above their weight this season, Juve and Milan are going through a bit of a crisis spell and I don't think either of them are in a position to mount a good challenge, especially the former.

None of the rest are good enough or consistent enough IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

carlop wrote: »
    I think Inter still have to be big favourites to win serie A. It's not like Benitez doesn't have pedigree in winning league titles, and I just can't see any team placed to challenge.

Roma punched above their weight this season, Juve and Milan are going through a bit of a crisis spell and I don't think either of them are in a position to mount a good challenge, especially the former.

None of the rest are good enough or consistent enough IMO.

Depends on how Juve and Milan's transfer market goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Depends on how Juve and Milan's transfer market goes.

Even if they buy well, players take time to settle. It's rare that a team will gel right away. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the league, but I can't see anything other than another Inter scudetto.

carlop wrote: »
    Even if they buy well, players take time to settle. It's rare that a team will gel right away. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the league, but I can't see anything other than another Inter scudetto.

Juve have a managerial team and sporting director with experience now, the players they are being linked with are all very big steps forward (Krasic, Dzeko, Simone Pepe) if they bring Criscito back and sign another fullback they will be pretty good.

Milan will probably move sideways.

Juve have a managerial team and sporting director with experience now, the players they are being linked with are all very big steps forward (Krasic, Dzeko, Simone Pepe) if they bring Criscito back and sign another fullback they will be pretty good.

Milan will probably move sideways.

Simone Pepe is NOT a big step forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Simone Pepe is NOT a big step forward!

Agreed. How he is an improvement on De Ceglie or Marchionni is beyond me. He may score a few more goals, but he cannot beat an opponent and cannot cross.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Agreed. How he is an improvement on De Ceglie or Marchionni is beyond me. He may score a few more goals, but he cannot beat an opponent and cannot cross.

Marchionni has been at Fiorentina for two seasons now...

Pepe is a MUCH better player than both!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Marchionni has been at Fiorentina for two seasons now...

Pepe is a MUCH better player than both!

I hope so, but don't think so.

Krasic, if they land him, is a much more exciting prospect.

PS, I see Pepe is now officially confirmed.

Year year loan for 2.6 million with the option to sign him for 7.5million next june.

Good deal and pretty much no risk.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    De Ceglie is woeful too.

Year year loan for 2.6 million with the option to sign him for 7.5million next june.

Good deal and pretty much no risk.
    I know that's how it is being reported on Football Italia but I've read from Italian sources that we have no option of cancelling the deal at the end of this season. We have to keep him and pay the remaining 7.5mil over 3 years. The "loan" for one season is just a technicality.

News doing the rounds at the moment that Manchester City have offered Palermo 20 million euros for Edison Cavani.

Quite an entertaining player, I'll miss him in Serie A if he does leave.

News doing the rounds at the moment that Manchester City have offered Palermo 20 million euros for Edison Cavani.

Quite an entertaining player, I'll miss him in Serie A if he does leave.

He's a good playe but he should stay at Palermo for now. Moving to City where he will be behind Adebyor and Tevez would be foolish.

He could be a huge flop for 20 million IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Juve signed Bonucci (€15.5m) and Martínez (€12m) today. Great shout for Bonucci I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Juve signed Bonucci (€15.5m) and Martínez (€12m) today. Great shout for Bonucci I think

Sigh. Another good young player off to be ruined by Juve. He probably wont even get a start, seeing as he is under 25 and therefore very inexperienced. I would look to resign Cannavaro and go with him.:p

Sigh. Another good young player off to be ruined by Juve. He probably wont even get a start, seeing as he is under 25 and therefore very inexperienced. I would look to resign Cannavaro and go with him.:p

Canna is off to Qatar.

Bonucci will start with Chie in the middle.

• Advertisement

Serie A will have some pretty big schedule changes for this season.
    The Lega Serie A has confirmed the start and end dates of the new Serie A 2010-11 season, as well as a number of changes that will affect the kick-off days and times.

Serie A begins on the weekend of Saturday and Sunday, August 28 and 29, 2010 and will be concluded on Sunday, May 22, 2011.

There will be four midweek round of fixtures and they take place on November 10, 2010, Thursday, January 6, 2011, February 2, 2011 and March 2, 2011. On January 6 one match will kick off at 12:00 CET, and the rest at 15:00 CET.

The Italian footballers association also confirmed the winter break will run from December 19, 2010 to January 6, 2011.

The notable changes are on days and times. Games will now be played across Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays to allow for better preparation for those teams involved in European competitions. This follows a successful trial of the idea in the second half of last season.

There will be a Friday night kick-off, two anticipi on Saturdays at 18:00 CET and 20:30 CET.

And on Sundays the day will be split into three. A 12:00 CET game, eight fixtures at 15:00 CET and the tranditional positicipo at 20:30 CET.
    This is good news for all Serie A fans with the possibility of watching 6 live games per weekend, I can't wait for the new season to start now and hopefully ESPN will take full advantage of this and show as many games as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Canna is off to Qatar.

I know he should start in the middle, but the manager will prob bottle it and play Legrottaglie in the middle. Thats what Italian managers do.

Not if we sign someone like Mexes as well.
    I know he should start in the middle, but the manager will prob bottle it and play Legrottaglie in the middle. Thats what Italian managers do.

No way will Legro start.

Suppose we should start a new thread for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Is a new season thread being started. I guess its about time as Juventus start there season tomorrow night, although be it a month before the rest of the Serie A.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Is a new season thread being started. I guess its about time as Juventus start there season tomorrow night, although be it a month before the rest of the Serie A.
    It has already been started, here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement