Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2009/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dor83 wrote: »
    Giovinco on for an injured Diego, hopefully it's not a serious injury because I like watching him play but a serious injury could be good for Inter.

EDIT: Lazio have a goal wrongly disallowed, ref helps juve.

remember watching him during the 21's tournament

he ran the show for Italy,great talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Headshot wrote: »
    remember watching him during the 21's tournament

he ran the show for Italy,great talent
    Yeah he's a very good player but Diego will still be a big loss if he is injured. Finished 2-0 to juve, wasn't a bad game and good to see Trezeguet back but Lazio won't be an easy game for any team this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Sammy Eto'o scores an absolute peach to put Inter 1-0 against Parma in the 70th min. The game had 0-0 written all over it but Eto'o, wow, he is really showing how outrageous Barca were to let him go, let alone throw 30million on top.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Sammy Eto'o scores an absolute peach to put Inter 1-0 against Parma in the 70th min. The game had 0-0 written all over it but Eto'o, wow, he is really showing how outrageous Barca were to let him go, let alone throw 30million on top.
    It's only one goal mate, his other was a pen which puts him on 2 in 3 games, Ibra scored his 2nd in 2 games and set Messi up last night too. At the end of the season we will see how both players have done and then we can comment of whether the deal was outrageous or genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

That Lazio goal should have counted (I'm a Juve fan).

I really hope Diego isn't out for long. With him and Del Piero out injured there's a lot of pressure on Giovinco.

I wasn't impressed by Caceres at all yesterday. He'll be 3rd choice RB and 4th choice CB.

• Advertisement

Milito makes it 2-0, more than we deserve to be honest.

All games have finished except Palermo v Bari which started late, score are
    Inter 2 - 0 Parma
    Atalanta 0 - 1 Sampdoria
    Bologna 0 - 2 Chievo
    Fiorentina 1 - 0 Cagliari
    Siena 1 - 2 AS Roma
    Udinese 4 - 2 Catania

Tonights late game is Genoa v Napoli, I'm really looking forward to this game and it should be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    I really hope Diego isn't out for long. With him and Del Piero out injured there's a lot of pressure on Giovinco.

Media reports in Italy say 2-3 weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kearnsr wrote: »
    Outstanding game this week is Lazio Juve. I think games like this will be important for Juve. They need to win these games to push on from last season.

I see Inter winning and AC drawing

I should be a betting man

Criscito sent off for Genoa, completely undeserved imo.

EDIT: Hamsik makes it 1-0 to Napoli with a very good finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Get in! 1-0 Hamsik, great pass by Quagliarella and a nice finish. Apparently Criscito was sent off for something he said, certainly for the foul alone it would have been harsh

Campagnaro off and a pen to Genoa, really good game so far and can see a few more goals in the 2nd half. 1-1 now.

Its kind of hard to judge on a sh1tty stream but that looked very harsh to me, though in saying that Napoli should have dealt far better with the clearance

carlop wrote: »
    Its kind of hard to judge on a sh1tty stream but that looked very harsh to me, though in saying that Napoli should have dealt far better with the clearance
    He was on a yellow anyway so he deserved to go, but the keeper was to blame imo because he should have came and claimed the ball. It really makes for an interesting 2nd half and hopefully a few more goals too.

EDIT: The commentator just said that the 4th official has said Criscito was sent off for foul and abusive language, still a bit harsh as he didn't harass the ref or anything just said something.

Mesto makes it 2-1 to Genoa with a very good strike.

EDIT: Crespo makes it 3-1.

Aronica off and another pen for Genoa, very harsh imo. 4-1

The officiating has been poor but on the balance of play I guess Genoa deserve it, though maybe not by such an emphatic scoreline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

aturday, September 19, 2009
    Time Home Away TV VENUE
    17:00 UK Napoli v Udinese San Paolo
    19:45 UK Juventus v Livorno Stadio Olimpico
    Sunday, September 20, 2009
    Time Home Away TV VENUE
    14:00 UK Cagliari v Internazionale Sant'Elia
    14:00 UK Chievo Verona v Genoa Bentegodi
    14:00 UK Sampdoria v Siena Luigi Ferraris
    14:00 UK Bari v Atalanta San Nicola
    14:00 UK Catania v Lazio Angelo Massimino
    14:00 UK AC Milan v Bologna San Siro
    14:00 UK Parma v Palermo Ennio Tardini
    19:45 UK AS Roma v Fiorentina Stadio Olimpico

This weeks games

Wednesday, September 23, 2009
    Time Home Away TV VENUE
    19:45 UK Atalanta v Catania Atleti Azzurri d'Italia
    19:45 UK Fiorentina v Sampdoria Artemio Franchi
    19:45 UK Siena v Chievo Verona Artemio Franchi
    19:45 UK Palermo v AS Roma Renzo Barbera
    19:45 UK Lazio v Parma Stadio Olimpico
    19:45 UK Internazionale v Napoli Stadio Giuseppe Meazza
    19:45 UK Bologna v Livorno Renato Dall'Ara
    19:45 UK Udinese v AC Milan Stadio Friuli
    19:45 UK Bari v Cagliari San Nicola

Mid week games

Two goals in the first five minutes helped Inter Milan ease to the top of Serie A with a 3-1 win over Napoli on Wednesday.

Inter coach Jose Mourinho was banned from the bench after being sent to the stands in Sunday's 2-1 win at Cagliari, but the champions produced a roaring San Siro start without him.

Samuel Eto'o tapped in the first after Walter Samuel headed on a corner and strike partner Diego Milito soon beat the offside trap to score his fifth in five league games this term.

"To start like this, I could never have imagined it," the close-season signing from Genoa told Sky television.

"We had a fantastic first half. We've won and played well."

Lucio nodded in another corner after the half hour mark with Ezequiel Lavezzi pulling one back for Roberto Donadoni's side, who have picked up just four points so far despite spending big.

Inter went above this Saturday's opponents Sampdoria, who dropped points for the first time this term when headers from Stevan Jovetic and Alberto Gilardino either side of the break sealed Fiorentina's 2-0 home win.

Juventus can reclaim the lead and go two clear at the top with a win at Genoa on Thursday.

AC Milan's inconsistent start to the campaign continued with a 1-0 loss at Udinese, where Antonio Di Natale scored midway through the first half.

Mauricio Isla broke into the Milan box and when his effort came back off the post, Di Natale could not fail to score.

The Italy striker also struck the post while Milan, who started with Ronaldinho on the bench and had Mathieu Flamini dismissed for a second booking late on, hit the bar through Alessandro Nesta's header.

Rookie coach Leonardo has already presided over two defeats from five league games this term but limited recruits in the transfer window mean the Brazilian has little room to manoeuvre.

Francesco Totti converted a late penalty to give AS Roma a thrilling 3-3 draw at Palermo in pouring Sicilian rain.

The pitch was so waterlogged that the ball often became stuck in puddles but Totti made sure he blasted the spotkick home.

Bottom side Atalanta drew 0-0 at home to Catania in Antonio Conte's first match in charge, which was slightly marred by scuffles between rival supporters in Bergamo before kickoff.

Conte was also sent to the stands for protesting late on.

Milito looks a class signing

AC Milan messed up again. I think there season could be over before it got started!

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    Milito looks a class signing

AC Milan messed up again. I think there season could be over before it got started!

and Jovetic looks wonderful. Milan seem to be missing Carlo more than Kaka.

Sampdoria :D:D:D

Sampdoria :D:D:D
    A well deserved win for Samp, Inter were awful today and I can't think of one of our players who played well. I thought the ref was bad tonight, bad refs seems to be the theme in Serie A lately, but we didn't play well enough to deserve anything from the game anyway. Hopefully Bologna can do us a favor tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Cass and Pazzini will be given a shot in Ireland

Jovetic scores again btw. 1-0

A well deserved win for Samp, Inter were awful today and I can't think of one of our players who played well. I thought the ref was bad tonight, bad refs seems to be the theme in Serie A lately, but we didn't play well enough to deserve anything from the game anyway. Hopefully Bologna can do us a favor tomorrow.

In what respect was he bad? I think the standard has been better this year so far, certainly than in the last few years.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Surely Cass and Pazzini will be given a shot in Ireland
    Cassano definitely won't.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    In what respect was he bad? I think the standard has been better this year so far, certainly than in the last few years.
    We should have had a pen when the defender used his arm to stop Balotelli's header, I also don't think Lucio was offside for the disallowed goal but I may be wrong as I didn't see the replay. Milito's goal was offside against Napoli and Cagliari shouldn't have had a pen against us either, Juve have also been on the end of some bad decisions. I'm not complaining about the result today, we didn't deserve anything from the game, but I do think the standard of reffing in Italy is not good enough for a top league.

We should have had a pen when the defender used his arm to stop Balotelli's header, I also don't think Lucio was offside for the disallowed goal but I may be wrong as I didn't see the replay. Milito's goal was offside against Napoli and Cagliari shouldn't have had a pen against us either, Juve have also been on the end of some bad decisions. I'm not complaining about the result today, we didn't deserve anything from the game, but I do think the standard of reffing in Italy is not good enough for a top league.

I thought the ball was to arm rather than arm to ball, but I've seen them given. The Lucio was definitely offside. Mind you, the Gastaldello elbow could have seen him sent off. I still think there's less to be paranoid about this year - the only complaint might be that the smaller club is getting the benefit of the doubt. Samp look good, though, I can't believe Lippi still won't recognise Cassano. I wonder if there's something in the background going on........

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I thought the ball was to arm rather than arm to ball, but I've seen them given. The Lucio was definitely offside. Mind you, the Gastaldello elbow could have seen him sent off. I still think there's less to be paranoid about this year - the only complaint might be that the smaller club is getting the benefit of the doubt. Samp look good, though, I can't believe Lippi still won't recognise Cassano. I wonder if there's something in the background going on........
    His arm was raised above his head, this means an automatic pen imo because he had no reason to raise it so high, even if it wasn't intentional. Again, we didn't deserve anything from the game anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Samp do look good alright, as do Genoa, it should be a good battle for the CL spots and I expect Roma and Fiorentina to improve a lot and push for the CL spots too, and maybe Lazio too.

Yeah, Lippi must have something personal against Cassano because he should be a definite starter, one of the best players in Italy at the moment.

• Advertisement

Isn't it obvious why Lippi won't call up Cassano?

Isn't it obvious why Lippi won't call up Cassano?

Because Cassano chose Roma way back in the day or because he was a dick way back in the day.

Either way, the Azzuri lack flair up front and Cassano and Pazzini are a managers dream, two great strikers who gel amazingly playing together in the same team. He needs to do something

Del Piero injured again. Out for another 30-40 days. :mad:

AC Milan's owners insist the club is not up for sale and coach Leonardo's job looks secure for now, but another defeat at joint-bottom Atalanta on Sunday (1300) would crank up the pressure.

Wednesday's shock 1-0 home loss to FC Zurich in the Champions League has taken the club to new depths after an already shaky start to the campaign under the rookie Brazilian.

A half-empty San Siro still managed a loud cacophony of disapproval at halftime but the end was met with resigned silence.

Some fans have called on owner and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to sell the club, with media reports saying Arab investors were among those interested.

"Following the umpteenth press story, Fininvest denies again...that there is any plan to sell all or part of AC Milan," a statement from Fininvest, the Berlusconi family holding company, said on Thursday.

Milan were also quick to deny rumours about Leonardo's future, confirming him in his post on Wednesday despite only one home goal so far this term.

An ageing squad along with a lack of top quality new recruits has been partly to blame for Milan earning just eight points from six Serie A games.

Atalanta have picked up two points under new coach Antonio Conte and Bergamo is never an easy place to dig out a result.

Like Leonardo, Napoli coach and former Milan midfielder Roberto Donadoni has had an inconsistent start and is still under pressure despite last weekend's 2-1 win over Siena.

Sporting director Pierpaolo Marino left following the game with president Aurelio De Laurentiis berating his close-season transfer dealings while the colourful film producer has been quoted as saying Donadoni has until Oct. 6 to convince him.

That means the former Italy coach just has Sunday's trip to AS Roma (1300) to shine.

Injury-prone Diego limped out of Juventus's 0-0 draw at Bayern Munich on Wednesday and could miss Sunday's game at Palermo (1845) while striker Diego Milito is a doubt for Inter Milan's home match with Udinese on Saturday (1845).

Leaders Sampdoria host promoted Parma on Sunday (1300).

Saturday, October 3, 2009
    Time Home Away TV VENUE
    17:00 UK Bari v Catania San Nicola
    19:45 UK Internazionale v Udinese Giuseppe Meazza
    Sunday, October 4, 2009
    Time Home Away TV VENUE
    14:00 UK Sampdoria v Parma Comunale Luigi Ferraris
    14:00 UK Bologna v Genoa Renato Dall'Ara
    14:00 UK Cagliari v Chievo Verona Sant'Elia
    14:00 UK Atalanta v AC Milan Atleti Azzurri d'Italia
    14:00 UK Siena v Livorno Artemio Franchi Montepaschi Arena
    14:00 UK AS Roma v Napoli Olimpico
    14:00 UK Fiorentina v Lazio Artemio Franchi
    19:45 UK Palermo v Juventus Renzo Barbera

See inter struggling but they should get a win. Same for Juve. Tough one for Milan. Early season form might make it tough. Score draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Tough place to play away for Juventus but they should shade it.

Amauri's turning into a bit of a flop tbh.

The title is a two horse race. Between Inter and Samp. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    So are Melo and Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

The title is a two horse race. Between Inter and Samp. :rolleyes:

Can't see past Inter this season. Bar an amazing upset, I think they have it sown up.

So are Melo and Diego.

Lol.

Losing away to Palermo is not a terrible result

So are Melo and Diego.
    Bit of an overreaction, both have been good this season imo and you also have to give them a bit of time to settle in too.
    Sean7 wrote: »
    Can't see past Inter this season. Bar an amazing upset, I think they have it sown up.
    I reckon we should do it myself but we haven't been playing well either, we were very lucky to get a win from a bad performance at the weekend and the only game we have played well in this year was against a very poor Milan. The season is far from over and I wouldn't be surprised if Samp and Genoa are close at the end of the season.

Bit of an overreaction, both have been good this season imo and you also have to give them a bit of time to settle in too.
    Both were good against against Roma but other than that all they've done between them is be at fault for 3 goals we've conceded (all Melo).

I feel we've made a big mistake in building our whole team and formation around Diego.

Diego, Melo, Poulsen, Grosso. €63 million well spent :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Sorry but Diego has been immense this season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Always thought he was rubbish.

Writing off Diego and Melo so early is mental! Write off Ferrara before them! Early doors in the season though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ferrera seems to be getting tactically outmaneuvered quiet easily which would be worrying.

LOL at calling Diego and Melo flops, just plain ROFL tbh. They are both class acts and Diego I feel has been excellent to date, he's just back from a injury don't forget, Melo fair enough he has given away a few goals recently but come on now he's only at the club a month or two. He will show his class yet.

Lots of good news for Juve fans today :rolleyes:

Claudio Marchisio is out the Italy squad injured.

Fabio Cannavaro has failed a doping test. Apparently he took anti-allergy medication for a bee sting. Juve informed the Lega Calcio but the Lega didn't pass that on to CONI. Or something along those lines...

Fabio Cannavaro has failed a doping test. Apparently he took anti-allergy medication for a bee sting. Juve informed the Lega Calcio but the Lega didn't pass that on to CONI. Or something along those lines...

Cannavaro fails drugs test
    Thursday 8 October, 2009
    Fabio Cannavaro failed a drugs test after taking emergency medicine, but a paperwork error means he risks suspension.

The Italy captain was stung by a wasp during a training session and was given a cortisone-based treatment, which usually would be considered acceptable.

However, the medical staff failed to provide a piece of the paperwork confirming this course of action and so an inquiry has been opened.

As the request for permission had not been completed, the Juventus defender was tested and found positive for cortisone.

Cannavaro will be interrogated by the CONI (Italian Olympic Committee) over the next few days.

It is most likely a matter of red tape and should be cleared up relatively quickly.

The 2006 World Cup and Ballon d’Or winner is suspended for Saturday’s Republic of Ireland match anyway, but this situation could in theory rule him out of next Wednesday’s encounter with Cyprus too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bit of an over reaction on the headline tbh, will be cleared up by the weekend.

Cannavaro: clarification by the medical staff

With regards to the news of the launch of an investigation by the Procura Antidoping involving player Fabio Cannavaro, the medical division of Juventus states that it acted within the sanitary prescriptions and the deontological rules, intervening in an urgent manner – last August – following the worsening of the clinical condition following the sting by an insect. On that occasion a medical remedy which was indispensable in order to prevent eventual complications, even lethal ones, was used. The player and the medical staff of Juventus will be at the disposal of the Procura to clarify this issue as soon as possible, as well as eventual documentation.

juventus.com

Pretty much all cleared up

http://www.football-italia.net/oct8y.html

This weekends fixtures
    SAT - 17TH OCT 09
    17:00 Juventus vs Fiorentina
    19:45 Genoa vs Inter Milan (ESPN)
    SUN - 18TH OCT 09
    14:00 Parma vs Siena
    14:00 Udinese vs Atalanta
    14:00 Lazio vs Sampdoria (ESPN)
    14:00 Napoli vs Bologna
    14:00 Catania vs Cagliari
    14:00 Livorno vs Palermo
    14:00 Chievo vs Bari
    19:45 AC Milan vs Roma(ESPN)
    Alberto Gilardino will be full of confidence when he runs out for Fiorentina this weekend after his hat-trick for Italy midweek.

The former Parma hit man, playing in front of his old fans, struck three times in the last 13 minutes as Italy won 3-2 in their World Cup qualifier last night - and now he will be looking to spark Fiorentina when they go up against Juventus in Serie A on Saturday.

"I'll start this game full of enthusiasm," said Gilardino, who also scored a last-gasp equaliser against the Republic of Ireland on Saturday to clinch Italy's qualification as group winners for next summer's finals in South Africa.

"For Fiorentina, this game will be important to confirm our progress and to take a step forward. It's going to be a good test for us," he predicted.
    Cesare Prandelli's side are level on 14 points with Juventus after seven matches.

Third-placed Juve go into the encounter in Turin desperate to return to the winning ways after collecting just two points in their last three games.

Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan will be put to the test when they meet a Genoa side who are unbeaten at the Marassi stadium this season. Both teams go into this weekend's match not at full strength. Anything but a win for Inter could see Sampdoria go solo at the top of the table.

Samp are joint leaders, level on 16 points with the Nerazzurri, and travel to the Stadio Olimpico to face Lazio.

AC Milan coach Leonardo will be under pressure to get a result against Roma on Sunday night. The Rossoneri are 11th after a poor start to the campaign, having scored just two goals in the last six games. Fortunately for Leonardo and Co, Roma have the worst defensive record in the competition - with 13 goals conceded.

Sunday's game against Bologna at the San Paolo will mark Walter Mazzarri's first match in charge of Napoli. Mazzarri replaced sacked coach Roberto Donadoni two weeks ago. The azzurri are 15th.

Palermo travel to Leghorn to meet Livorno, looking for their first win on the road since March.

Sixth-placed Chievo will fancy their chances against Bari, having clinched seven of a possible nine points in Verona this season.

Winless Catania will be bolstered by the return of Ciro Capuano, Alessandro Potenza and Gennaro Delvecchio from suspension for Sunday's match against Cagliari.

Siena will have an added motivation to beat Parma on Sunday, knowing a defeat could see them drop to the relegation zone. The Tuscan outfit are one point clear of the bottom three.

Atalanta travel to the Friuli stadium to meet Udinese, desperate to claim their first win of the campaign.
    Some interesting looking games this weekend, Juve v Fiorentina should be a close game and I would expect Juve to get the win at home, but with their recent form it could go either way. Inter have a very tough trip to Genoa and they will go there without Milito or Eto'o, Suazo will start alongside Balotelli but we could get our first look at Arnautovic. Samp v Lazio and Milan v Roma could be very good games too, should be a very good weekend and we get 3 live games on ESPN too.

Juve v Fiorentina is about 20 in at the moment, here are the line-up's:

Juve: Buffon; Grygera, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso; Sissoko, Melo, Poulsen, Diego; Amauri, Iaquinta

Fiorentina: Frey; Comotto, Gamberini, Dainelli, Vargas; Gobbi, Montolivo, Zanetti, Marchionni; Jovetic, Gilardino

• Advertisement
Advertisement