Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodka ...

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

does all vodka taste the same ? i recently had smeirnoff and then boru irish vodka but a certain friend of mine noticed a taste difference .. I was just looking for peoples views on vodka and different types of it .. thanks !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Compare any Vodka to Tesco Vodka and you will taste the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Yeh there is a dramatic difference between a good vodka (absolut, stolly etc) and a bad vodka (glens, tesco etc).

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 V o d k a

well i bought boru vodka today which is an irish vodka and it tasted very much the same as smeirnoff .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

V o d k a wrote: »
    well i bought boru vodka today which is an irish vodka and it tasted very much the same as smeirnoff .. :)

That's your opinion, mine is different :P

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    That's your opinion, mine is different :P

i know it is :mad: yo couldnt stand boru vodka but you seemed to think smeirnoff vodka was alright .. its all the same !!!

• Advertisement

Well maybe me disliking Boru and not being bothered by the Smirnoff proves that there is a difference and that you are not an established drinker :)

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Well maybe me disliking Boru and not being bothered by the Smirnoff proves that there is a difference and that you are not an established drinker :)
    you are not an established drinker by any means ...you are the one that got me the crust boru in the first place !!!

Ok, you complain about boru calling it 'crust' yet there was no such complaints about the smirnoff? hmm.. contradicting yourself here mr.V o d k a? I think so.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I think if your drinking it straight there is a huge difference between the various brands but if your mixing it you might as well drink the cheap Smirnoff or Huzzar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

cork45 wrote: »
    I think if your drinking it straight there is a huge difference between the various brands but if your mixing it you might as well drink the cheap Smirnoff or Huzzar.

I'd tend to agree. If you are putting it in Coke you may as well drink pish.

Goose is nice, as is Finlandia. I got one once that tasted of chocolate. So, yes, there are different flavours (without being flavoured, if you get me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sharik

Vodka can be as different as Tequila, Gin or Whiskey. The differences maybe not as many and as fine as they are in brandy/Cognac/Armagnac or Calvados, but they are quite pronounced.

Good Vodka has none of this ethanol stench to it, but rather smells a little bit of wheat.

A few of my friends didn't believe I could taste a difference and tested me - I was testing Vodka. If I remember it right I had to tell between four or five brands. I passed 100%.

Smirnoff is by far not the best Vodka. Haven't tried boru but you can find Vodkas as good as Smirnof in Aldi/Lidl.
    Of the big brands, the Russians consider Absolute to be the 1st and Finlandia the 2nd. The Poles prefer Finladia to Absolute. So tastes are different as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

A lot of these premium vodka's are just marketing hype,Half the job is puting a higher price tag on the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've never thought of vodka has any kind of connoisseur drink. Always just associated it with women who drank a helluva lot of the stuff to get pissed. Don't know how much of my perception is true though and how much is marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I believe a lot of peoples preference is down to simple marketing and not taste.

However when it comes to comparing an own brand vodka like Tesco, Sainsbury's etc with premium brands such as Smirnoff, Chopin, Finlandia - there is a taste difference.

Cheap brands such as Tesco are not subjected to the same distillation and filtration steps as premium vodkas as this would be too expensive for a cheap product. The lack of these extra steps result in an inferior product as there are more impurities, resulting in the typicial over powering dirty/rubbing alcohol taste you get from cheap brands.

There is also a distinct taste from the ingredients used. i.e Chopin vodka is made from potatoes and has more flavour than grain vodka. Finlandia is made from premium six row Barley, resulting in a purer vodka. Smirnoff is a grain vodka like most of the cheap brands but i bet the grain is of a higher quality and even if it's not, their filtration/triple distillation steps yield a better, purer vodka.

Advertisement