Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Mother Programme

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

So I have been asked to become a community mother. I got a phone call out of the blue that I had been recommended by the PHN. I'm not too sure what exactly this is - the only info that I have is what the 3 mins conversations told me. I am meeting with this woman in two weeks. As far as I know, I go to meet some first time mothers about once a month as discuss parenthood and offer support.
    Have any of you heard or have experience of this? Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Love2love wrote: »
    So I have been asked to become a community mother. I got a phone call out of the blue that I had been recommended by the PHN. I'm not too sure what exactly this is - the only info that I have is what the 3 mins conversations told me. I am meeting with this woman in two weeks. As far as I know, I go to meet some first time mothers about once a month as discuss parenthood and offer support.
    Have any of you heard or have experience of this? Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hiya,
    A friend of mine is a community mother. Basically they give you leaflets and stuff like that and you give them to the mothers you visit and give them advice and stuff like that. If you want I'll ask her more for you as I'm seeing her tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think it's a great thing especially as so many new mums don't live near family so they haven't got that support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

It's a fantastic scheme that started years ago in Glasgow I think.

It's really just support. You'd go and visit first time mums, and just really have a chat to them, and give them some advice.

My mum did it for years in Dublin. I have to say the training they get is top notch, and they have up to date leaflets and advice for everything.

The mothers really love it. They're so grateful. So many women locally still tell me to this day how my mum guided them through their early years of having kids.

There's doctors and midwives behind the training, so it's good quality. I used to help mum out by giving advice about dealing with particularly colicky kids, or kids who just wouldn't sleep. But the training was so good that she would be able to handle most stuff herself. I've often stolen some of their leaflets for my own patients.

It's not for everyone. But if you like what you hear when you chat to the nurse, then you'd be doing a great service for your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Thanks so much for the replies.

I'm definately going to give it a shot. I think I could learn alot myself. Sound very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Community Mothers Programme is the same as the Child Development programme devised by Walter Barker. It was delivered by qualified Health Visitors (HV) in the UK to first time mothers (across the social scale inc teenage mothers etc.) mostly in inner city areas. I'm not sure if it is still delivered nowdays as it was very costly.
    The HV would visit the mothers for one hour every week for one year. At each weekly visit the parent is given handouts relating to a specific topic around child health along with the theorical background attached. The child health education received prepares the mother for future sibs and the outcome for these families was excellant in terms of bonding, parenting, rearing and educational achievement of the children.

In Ireland it is a variation on the same theme except it is not so costly delivered by ordinary unqualified volunteers who are given training (by PHN) relating specifically to the topic leaflets. It is not necessarily used for first time mothers but for parents who may be having difficulties.
    If the PHN recommended you, then you must be seen to be 'good at the Parenting job'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had my first child in the UK and the community midwife used to call to my home daily once I started maternity leave. Prior to this I had appointments and her clinic apart from 1st appointment when I was 10 weeks pregnant she called to my home.

Once baby is born she would call daily until he was 10 days home but if I wanted her to come after that then she was there up until day 28 at home then after that it was up to me to go to the clinic.

There were weekly information sessions at the clinic so you just turned up when you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I am a community mother. My phn asked me would I like to train, when she was visiting me with my last baby. I visit first and sometimes second time mothers locally with health information and a friendly ear.
    The Community Mothers Programme was set up 26 years ago in some areas of Dublin, indeed we had a great celebration lunch last year in Dublin Castle, with Mary Harney in attendance. It is voluntary community work, paying only "expenses". There aint no fantastic salary. But for me, it suits, as I can choose when to do the visits, and how many to do. It fits in well with a busy family life. There are usually 2 meetings a month, one is an "individual" with our nurse, and the other is a "group" where all the CMs in the area get together with the nurse, and thrash it all out. Garda clearance is required, because of the nature of the work. There is also a small bit of paperwork. The phns have vast areas to cover and may only get to visit a mother and baby once, and with things like the new immunisation programme, our visits are appreciated. I have no shortage of people to visit, as parenting is always new to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Billiejo wrote: »
    Community Mothers Programme is the same as the Child Development programme devised by Walter Barker. It was delivered by qualified Health Visitors (HV) in the UK to first time mothers (across the social scale inc teenage mothers etc.) mostly in inner city areas. I'm not sure if it is still delivered nowdays as it was very costly.
    The HV would visit the mothers for one hour every week for one year. At each weekly visit the parent is given handouts relating to a specific topic around child health along with the theorical background attached. The child health education received prepares the mother for future sibs and the outcome for these families was excellant in terms of bonding, parenting, rearing and educational achievement of the children.

In Ireland it is a variation on the same theme except it is not so costly delivered by ordinary unqualified volunteers who are given training (by PHN) relating specifically to the topic leaflets. It is not necessarily used for first time mothers but for parents who may be having difficulties.
    If the PHN recommended you, then you must be seen to be 'good at the Parenting job'.

The Programme is aimed first and foremost at first time mothers. If we come across a parent having difficulties, and what parent doesn't at some time, we take guidance from the phn or refer the case to a professional. No, we do not have medical qualifications, but many parenting qualifications. I don't want to be boasting but the GPs often recommend us when there are "baby" issues they don't have time to be getting into, such as why do you put the water in the bottle before the formula, and is it ok to take baby swimming wearing nothing. Long live the Community Mothers Programme!

Advertisement