Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going the watercooling route!!

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Okay everyone.

heres the scoop.

I wanna chance from air cooling to water cooling.

heres what i have in my system.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920(stock cooler)(I know, whats wrong with me)
    Gtx 280.
    1 lg dvd drive.
    5 X samsung F1 1tb hard drives.

so thats what i have in my computer.

i want to get water cooling and this is going to be my first time setting up water cooling.

so with the 5 hard drives, theres no room to put a pump or res down there.

i was thinking of a pump/res all in one and putting it above the hard drives.

have no idea what ones to get and whats good and bad.

anyone out there have any opinions, suggestions, any help and all would be greatly appreciated.

also would like to have a nice green or blue coolant and clear tubes.

i hear most kits arent worth getting and buying everything serperate is the way to go.

also i understand to make sure there is no leaks in the setup before putting it into the computer.

was looking at the zalman reserator xt, but i think that is a cop out and isnt that great as it only cools the cpu. i would like to cool the gpu, northbridge and cpu.

so any help for this poor noob!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I created a similar thread there about a week ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055632268

You might get a idea of whats involved from that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Once upon a time, not so long ago, you could get a half-decent Asetek kit for under €200 (or even €50-100 for more basic kits) in Komplett. Nowadays Asetek (or rather, rebadged Asetek kits lurking under an alias) are nowhere to be found and watercooling has once again descended into the pit of Too Much Of A Headache, You Really Shouldn't Bother :mad:

Sure, you could reduce the cost by using Thermaltake parts, but all that would do is result in a mess of biblical proportions and yet another person who's learned the hard way that Thermaltake can't do plumbing worth [CENSORED]. With Asetek and the like gone the mid-range has dropped out of the market. Imagine a world where there was no Coolermaster, Xigmatek, Tuniq, Akasa, Scythe etc. etc.... Just stock coolers, TRUE and utter [CENSORED]. That's watercooling.

So... unless you want to get raped buying Danger Den parts only (€500+) you're better off sticking to air. Or watching your PC drowning in coolant when (not if) the Thermaltake parts give up the ghost :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

thanks for the replys lads.

Was thinking of just getting a nice coolermaster v8.

the haf 932 as got great airflow in it and i'd sau the v8 would defo be decent enough for the i7 920.

i was always afraid of the water cooling leaking on me and pretty much destroying my computer.

anyone else have any suggestions for cpu heatsink air cooling then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

WC is pointless if you don't need to get waaay over 4GHz on the i7 and OC the [CENSORED] out of the GTX280 - especially given the power of the HAF ;) If you do it's by all means possible, just unduly expensive now all the decent budget kits are gone.
    Thor wrote:
    i was always afraid of the water cooling leaking on me and pretty much destroying my computer.

Only if you actually use water. And who'd do something crazy like that? :P

Nowadays (well, for years actually!) you use proper coolant that's anti-corrosive, anti-stagnating, not too sticky and is non-conductive (in case of a spill), as well as often featuring slightly improved thermal conduction characteristics than mere water. Oh, and it usually comes in trippy colours too! :D Plus you fill the rebuilt system with tissue and torture-test the system for ~24hrs with the pump at max once assembled and filled so you can spot leaks and make any adjustments before removing all the kitchen towels ;)

After that your main enemy is evaporation forcing you to top-up the system, and again decent WC fluid will minimize this requirement (often to the point where modern kits leave out the reservoir as its practically unneccesary!). Its very rare for a properly constructed, carefully tested, known-good WC system to magically spring a leak... unless its Thermaltake! :P

Advertisement