Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever miss home?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I left Ireland twenty-two years ago, and have lived in Thailand for the last eight; I go back every year. This is especially important since my son was born because I'm determined that he know both cultures. I sometimes feel in the strange position of missing Ireland but knowing that more than likely I will never live there again. That is not to say that I'm not happy where I am. What do others think? Do you sometimes feel the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well OP I only live across the pond in England for roughly the same amount of time as you left Ireland , so the cultural difference would not be as hard for me as maybe for your self with Thailand being so far away .With me it's a state of mind , yes I do miss home and idealy would have a place there but like you have realised a lot of what I am missing has gone ,the country has changed a lot in our absense and two generations of irish people have being born since .It's just that it's much easier for me to get home than maybe you ,so in that sense I am only home from home ,less than 100 miles away .But Ireland will always be Home

Boards for me has being a bridge of sorts ,keeping up with what's happenning back home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm from the UK originally, but living in Ireland about 8-9 years now and 'home' is where i have settled with my irish fiance.

i honestly don't have any roots anywhere though. we're thinking of emigrating to oz in a few years and that won't bother me either. i guess some people are just wired differently, but then i've already lived in 20+ different houses in 4 different countries (I'm 32 now) so maybe that's part of it.

i still call my mum and dad in the UK every week or so, but although i do miss them i don't feel the need to rush over and see them that often.

i'm going to be seeing my mum for the first time in about 2 years in the next couple of months, but it's not something i'd get overly emotional about even though we've always had a close relationship.

i dunno, maybe i'm just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yep, I miss home all the time. Not in a way that will affect my day to day life here or make me rush home but I know I want to go back in a few years so I do miss it.

Every so often (every few months) I'll have a proper homesick day or two where I'll really miss home and wish I could go back. If only Ireland and New Zealand were a little bit closer. Just being able to go home for a weekend would make a huge difference! That's all I'd need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wow.... 22 years is a long time !

I've been away for 12, spending 11 in France and as watna said, it's something that comes and goes, especially after I've been talking to someone on the phone telling me of the adventures they're getting up to...

Is it not possible that you may someday retire to Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

Ponster wrote: »
    Wow.... 22 years is a long time !

I've been away for 12, spending 11 in France and as watna said, it's something that comes and goes, especially after I've been talking to someone on the phone telling me of the adventures they're getting up to...

Is it not possible that you may someday retire to Ireland ?

I don't think that you can ever say never, but I just can't see it happening. I would like to spend a bit more time there because of my son though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

when i lived in (near) amsterdam i didnt really miss it, but i was with my parents. i went home to see my friends tho very frequently so it was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

I lived in Thailand for a few years - up and down to Penang for a visa - and did'nt miss Ireland at all. Christmas was a bit boring there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

spongeman wrote: »
    I lived in Thailand for a few years - up and down to Penang for a visa - and did'nt miss Ireland at all. Christmas was a bit boring there though.

I think that it was only after my son was born that I started to think about it. Most days I'm as happy as Larry, but living in Thailand can be just as dull as anywhere else when things get on top of you.

Funnily enough I was a visa-runner for a few years. It was only after I became fully legal that Thailand lost some of its shine. Always the way I suppose.

Advertisement