Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bale trailers

• 01-08-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

what type size bale trailer do ye have ...i want a bale trailer to bring as many bales as possible but manoveribility has to be taught of aswell not everyone has big yard

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

The lad i worked for had a 24 ft 4 ruscon. Double axle, brakes. 14 bales of silage or 24 of straw hay. Had another frailer that was 35 ft i think, double axle carried 20 bales of silage, or 34 bales of straw. If you want to carry alot of bales in tight yards, it might be worth looking at steering axles and extendable drawbars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Claasman wrote: »
    The lad i worked for had a 24 ft 4 ruscon. Double axle, brakes. 14 bales of silage or 24 of straw hay. Had another frailer that was 35 ft i think, double axle carried 20 bales of silage, or 34 bales of straw. If you want to carry alot of bales in tight yards, it might be worth looking at steering axles and extendable drawbars

i was thinking id have go steered axel route alright what do u mean by extendanle drawbars

what do you think of the set up artic trailer with 5th wheel dolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

A steering axle for drawing bales, come on are you having a laugh.A steeing axle would be for a 35ft low loader with 3 axles not a bale trailer.The main design property of a steering axle is to stop tyre scrub on wide tyres and far apart axles. If you put 2 long trailers in a yard with 1 having a steering axle there wouldnt be much of a difference in getting them out.

you can get 22 ft silage trailers with steering axles so i dont know what you are on about only having them on 35ft trailers...ONE of the advantages of steering axles is reduced type wear, they also make them easier to maneuver.

• Advertisement

you can get 22 ft silage trailers with steering axles so i dont know what you are on about only having them on 35ft trailers...ONE of the advantages of steering axles is reduced type wear, they also make them easier to maneuver.

steering axels front and fear of tri axel trailer makes big difference for both tyre wear less scuffing and also more manoveribility even lift axel does this i see the bulke meal lorrylooks more than 45ft trailer comeing to our yard narrow country road 15 ft gate ..gate on left of road he with no room on right he gets in no problem with the steering axel not a chance of him getting in with standard axels

Sorry i did not say only having them on 35ft trailer so go back and read my post again.Having them on a silage trailer is for tyre wear and scrubbing. With some silage trailers having 400 tyres, if there was no steering axle they would only last a season and a half.

bk1991 wrote: »
    steering axels front and fear of tri axel trailer makes big difference for both tyre wear less scuffing and also more manoveribility even lift axel does this i see the bulke meal lorrylooks more than 45ft trailer comeing to our yard narrow country road 15 ft gate ..gate on left of road he with no room on right he gets in no problem with the steering axel not a chance of him getting in with standard axels

Having a steering axle on a 35ft trailer upwards is understandable ,From the maneuverability point of view.But on smaller trailers it is for tyre wear mostly not purly getting around yards. An example of this is bigger tankers, local man has a double axle abbey with rear steer axle, that is only about 12ft long at most. So dodt tell me it is for maneuverability on a 13ft chassis. the steering axle is for scuffing tyres and land

cormywormy wrote: »
    Having a steering axle on a 35ft trailer upwards is understandable ,From the maneuverability point of view.But on smaller trailers it is for tyre wear mostly not purly getting around yards. An example of this is bigger tankers, local man has a double axle abbey with rear steer axle, that is only about 12ft long at most. So dodt tell me it is for maneuverability on a 13ft chassis. the steering axle is for scuffing tyres and land

yea i agree with that a tank on soft land turning on headland would make bits the land we had a 27 ft lowloader dropping of digger in jan this year he turned on soft headland and riped the whole thing up with three axels with twin wheels on all axels

Yeah, mis read your first post there cw. If the trailer is 25ft plus though, would it not be an advantage to have it? As for the extendable drawbar, i only saw it on a bale trailer made by a company in carlow i think. Another contractor near us had it.reckoned it was a good job. There was a ram inside the drawbar so you could adjust the length.

• Advertisement

Yeah, mis read your first post there cw. If the trailer is 25ft plus though, would it not be an advantage to have it? That was my original reason for suggesting it. As for the extendable drawbar, i only saw it on a bale trailer made by a company in carlow i think. Another contractor near us had it.reckoned it was a good job. There was a ram inside the drawbar so you could adjust the length.

No prob, over 28-29ft it might be good to have, as an advantage. But i think myself a waste on anything smaller. If the trailer is going to be used with plant aswell then it could be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

How small is your yard .. we have a 35ft long trailer in work and have no problem even though are yrd isnt the biggest.. Good driving can do a lot..
    Some fields are tight to access but just make shore your lines are right and she will get in no problem...

elius wrote: »
    How small is your yard .. we have a 35ft long trailer in work and have no problem even though are yrd isnt the biggest.. Good driving can do a lot..
    Some fields are tight to access but just make shore your lines are right and she will get in no problem...

Finally, someone who can talk sense. That is the point im making.Thanks so much elius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I've drawn loads of bales over the years in different farms and with all different types of trailers and really it depends on your situation. If you have a big yard and any field you're ever likely to go into has good wide gates with plenty of swinging room then go for the longest one you can manage. Personally I find a trailer around 25ft long to be just about right. it can take 5 bales of silage along the floor and getting in and out of places is generally fairly ok. I used a 40ft artic dolly job once and its a pain in the arse. We were only using it for short distances but it was a nightmare to use. 20 ft trailers that take 4 on the floor are a bit small for longer runs but handy for tight places. Really it depends on your individual situation but longer trailers can be more of a nuisance a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Oh and I forgot the most important of all on any bale trailer - the stand!!! Whatever you do make sure the trailer has a good wide stand with a good height on it as well. Getting in and out to put lumps of timber under trailers is incredibly annoying!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I just realised nobody has asked where your going to be working the trailer

are you a contractor using it to draw bales -- not every farm will have wide gates or a good swing in off the road and they don't appreciate on the spot pillar removal either. 25 foot would be fine for most yards I drew into in Co Limerick, bit of care needed coming in off back roads. We used a 30 foot for a few years but it got destroyed getting hopped off gates plus the boss got very good at standing piers upright :rolleyes:

If it's for your self your limiting factor is your yard - if there is a padock next to it you might still get away with a large trailer but usually the trailer is limited by the swing in off the road - is there a ditch next to the gates? What about your internal roads, can you drop fences easily or are the corners good and wide.

And what vincentlorenzo says is probably the best advice you've gotten on here so far; get one with a GOOD stand, no matter how good a loader driver is if the trailer is "balanced" on a lump of timber sooner or later your going to push it off the timber = usually on the last load at about 9.30 on a fri night when eeryone wants to go to the pub :P

Advertisement