Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which LOI club to support?

• 01-08-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Apologies to everyone if the title of this post makes me sound like an asshole!

It's a straight up choice between Pats or Rovers because I live in Clondalkin so Richmond Park and Tallaght stadium are only a 20 min bus journey away.

To be honest I'm fed up with the EPL because it has lost touch with reality so I've decided to give the LOI a chance.

I used to go to Pats matches with my uncle when I was a kid but I have not been following the Irish league in years.

Which team plays the better football?

Anybody able to help me make my choice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If you have no affiliation with either club flip a coin - im being serious too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why not go to both, see which team you prefer and stick with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd go with Rovers, good players, good stadium, great history and 2nd in the league. What more could you ask for?(Don't say 1st in the league:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Go to a few matches and decide. Give each team a fair go though. Go to bigger games like derbies to get a decent impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

To be honest I'd say Pats. Only because Rovers seem to be the new fashionable team to start supporting, which isn't really that good of a reason I suppose.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    To be honest I'd say Pats. Only because Rovers seem to be the new fashionable team to start supporting, which isn't really that good of a reason I suppose.

Nothing tactical about your advice at all, of course :D

Nothing at all:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yeah exactly - breath in the atmosphere at both clubs, whichever you feel most comfortable in is the one for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yeah exactly - breath in the atmosphere at both clubs, whichever you feel most comfortable in is the one for you...

I signed in to say pretty much this

Go to a couple of games of each and see which feels better

better still for a while go to as many of each teams home games you can make/afford/tolerate :p, will help you get into it quicker and get to know the league

Its a tough choice though as the painfull truth is all dublin clubs are a shower of ..........:rolleyes:

If its any help, shams are on the upward curve while pats are er um...

course if you were smart you'd join the dublin branch of the Sligo Rovers supporters club!:cool:

*ps "the irish league" is a thems up there, were the LOI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you want to enjoy the football quality just go to both sides matches but for the real experience support a club that you feel represents you and your community well.

Basically Galway United :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Cheers for all the advice!

Pats are playin Dundalk on Sunday eve so I'll head down to that anyways and I'll find out when Rovers next home match is and I'll check that out too

If I cant choose between the 2 after that then I'll just have to flick a coin!

Thanks again!

currythis wrote: »

Pats are playin Dundalk on Sunday eve so I'll head down to that anyways and I'll find out when Rovers next home match is and I'll check that out too

Thanks again!

Both Rovers and Pats are playing at home this Sunday,

The next Rovers home game after that is 16th of August against UCD in the cup.

The next Pats home game after that is 11th of August against Bohs.

If you're determined to catch both teams, it might be worthwhile to go to Rovers-Derry on Sunday, and then Pats-Bohs on the 11th, so you get 2 big top of the table clashes to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Don't forget to give each more than one visit. We all know that the atmosphere, standard of football, crowd etc can vary from one game to the next.
    It's about finding a club that fits you like a glove rather than going with today's fashionable club

Forza Youths...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You used to go to Pat's games so why not continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

currythis wrote: »

Thanks again!

come down and stand with moi in the dundalk end and experience a true athmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

elshambo wrote: »

If its any help, shams are on the upward curve while pats are er um...

. . .flying the flag for the LOI in Europe again :D until next week that is (rumour has it that the russians are having issues with providing a visa for ryan guy - the yank spy!)

joking aside, the above point is fair, we've had a very depressing season so far but i can just feel the an upswing lately. We've a few first-teamers back from injury (you should have felt the crowd reaction when gary dempsey came on on Thursday). Hopefully Fabio can bang in a few in the league now too. There is a good atmosphere developing. . .

the OP might be timing his visits just right (although, if he came down last Thursday the decision would have been made on the spot!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Failing Liongford Town. Always had a soft spot for Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Since Bohs aren't involved here, I can offer some neutral advice. No, really.

From a clean slate, and completely suspending my Bohs bias, if I were in your position I'd go with Pat's. As has been observed, although they will bang on about their history, Rovers are a bit too shiny and new. Witness the outbreak of all those bleached-white and green scarves. Pat's are much funkier, have real heart and, most of all, real roots in a real place. They probably also need you much more, so you will feel the love more.

(With apologies for severe overuse of the word 'real').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

SectionF wrote: »
    Since Bohs aren't involved here, I can offer some neutral advice. No, really.

From a clean slate, and completely suspending my Bohs bias, if I were in your position I'd go with Pat's. As has been observed, although they will bang on about their history, Rovers are a bit too shiny and new. Witness the outbreak of all those bleached-white and green scarves. Pat's are much funkier, have real heart and, most of all, real roots in a real place. They probably also need you much more, so you will feel the love more.

(With apologies for severe overuse of the word 'real').

Yeah, real neutral :p

Although I do agree Pats need all the support they can get.

Another thing you might want to consider is that there is a good chance Rovers might be playing some European football next season. Probably unlikely you'll see any more in Richmond this season (although I hope not) with a tough tie next week.

Anyway, Rovers! Rovers! Rovers! etc... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Screw all of them, support Finn Harps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Thanks again for all the info!

Decided that I'll head down to Pats v Dundalk tomorrow nite and then go to Rovers next home match.

Where would be the best place for a newbie to sit/stand in richmond?
    I dont want to look like a complete eejit sittin in a group of diehard pats fans without knowin a thing about the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Support Shels! I'm living in Clondalkin and I go to Tolka. When we're challenging for the Premier division title next year you can say you started supporting them when they were in division 1

I'm must say I'm loving all this.

The specious generalizations and bitterness can mean only one thing: we're back. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If you're gonna come see a Rovers game then make sure you soak up the atmosphere and soak up a few pints in the Maldrom before hand, then sit in the unreserved singing section towards the chipper end of the ground. If you're thinking of attending then introduce yourself on www.srfcultrasforum.com and meet the gang, new hoop fans are always more than welcome

Advertisement