Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare wedding crashed by US military troops

• 01-08-2009 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

THE actions of dozens of US troops who ‘gate-crashed’ a wedding in Clare last week, have been criticised by a leading anti-war campaigner who has described the matter as another clear breach of Irish neutrality.
    The incident occurred at the Clare Inn Hotel near Newmarket-on-Fergus last Wednesday where almost 300 troops stayed for two nights after the aircraft on which they were travelling to Iraq was grounded at Shannon Airport by technical problems.
    After wandering into the function room where the wedding reception was being hosted, they were allowed to stay and enjoy the festivities despite the best efforts of their commanding officer to remove them from the hall.
    One wedding guest said, “The soldiers were around the hotel all day. We saw them walking around the grounds, chatting in groups outside and in the bar but we were surprised when they came in to the wedding that night.
    “You could see that some guests were very uncomfortable with the soldiers being there, especially wearing their uniforms. But they were in great form and seemed to enjoy themselves.”
    Retired Irish army officer and international secretary of the Peace and Neutrality Alliance, Dr Edward Horgan, has described the actions of US troops as highly inappropriate.
    “Again we see how the Irish and US Governments blatantly breach Irish neutrality. Ireland continues to participate in a foreign war and it is highly inappropriate that US soldiers would appear in an Irish hotel or in Shannon Airport in uniform. Remember, the US has a reputation for gate-crashing weddings. They have bombed wedding parties in Afghanistan and killed dozens of people,” Dr Horgan said.
    Troops are regularly accommodated in local hotels if an aircraft suffers technical issues while en route to or from the US. Personnel are not allowed leave the vicinity of the hotel where they are staying but have in the past breached the rule.
    When contacted yesterday (Monday), the hotel declined to comment on the matter.

US-soldiers-at-wedding.jpg

BTW: I don't mind US troops using Shannon or even using our hotels, they are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. After all "Ceade mile a failte", what ever happened to that phrase? This article came from the Clare people and just shows you the tabloid quality of newspaper they really are. Very biased commentary by the writer indeed. They only heard from one side of this arguement and failed to actually ask the bride and groom, who it turns out invited them. This was very nice of them to do this and I can imagine it was a great wedding to have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

"After wandering into the function room where the wedding reception was being hosted, they were allowed to stay and enjoy the festivities "

so they were invited more or less, what a non -story,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Whether you agree with the Conflict they are involved in or not, these are just young guys doing a job. They were invited in by the Bride's Father (http://www.herald.ie/national-news/stranded-us-troops-were-guests-not-gatecrashers-say-newlyweds-1838795.html), drank minerals for a few hours and got to experience an irish wedding.

I've met them a few times travelling through Shannon Airport and its scary how young most of these guys are.

. After all "Ceade mile a failte", what ever happened to that phrase? .

That died when the eastern europeans and the nigerians started coming over..
    Sad fact of the matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahmed.baher

The phrase that really slays me here is "Irish Neutrality".
    Wha?
    It all goes back to Eamon DeValera, who prevented Irish reunification, twice, and stabbed Michael Collins in the back.
    When asked to let British and US troops to use Ireland as a base in WWII, he was "neutral".
    When asked to accept Jewish refugees he was "neutral" (or, we don't want that dirty lot here, i.e., they don't have money, why should we help, also known as the Irish welcome)
    But when Nazi war criminals wanted to disappear, Ireland was only too happy to oblige, since A: they had money and B: an enemy of the Brits is our friend.
    This was with the knowledge and help of FF, who then lied to the Allied countries if they knew of the whereabouts of Nazi war criminals.
    Letting the Americans use Shannon to transport prisoners for torture somewhere else because of all those lovely, shiny Dollars does not constitute neutrality.
    Neutral here only means "we have about 2 Sopwith Camel airplanes and one boat and therefore cannot make a difference in a foreign conflict, but if you throw us a few coins, we'll sort you out no questions asked"
    Making a fuss about a few US troops crashing a wedding really isn't quite getting to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

That died when the eastern europeans and the nigerians started coming over..
    Sad fact of the matter..

Careful here!
    Truth is the 1000 Welcomes never existed, the Irish were always xenophobes - unless some investor comes up with some dosh and well paid work for the locals. Then he got a slap on the back and the inevitable question: So, now, and when are you heading home again? Same for the tourists.
    Well, now they did head home. And the olde xenophobe rises its ugly head towards those who stayed and are as struggling as the rest of the country.
    The 1000 welcomes are an invention of the Tourist board.

What if some Eastern European or Nigerian soldiers had "gatecrashed" the wedding? Would've everybody cheered? I don't think so.

Besides, in a supposedly neutral country it's a breach of law for foreign soldiers in uniform walking around in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I think the Irish have been fairly welcoming to the Nigerians and Eastern Europeans. Not quite a thousand welcomes (which of course is a fantasy) but on a one to one level I think most Irish people are pretty friendly to immigrants, even if they're not keen on the rate of immigration we had over the last ten years (which was far too accelerated).

Now I'm not an immigrant so maybe I'm not in a position to judge, but even if you're from town you're going to encounter the odd prick who always goes out of their way to upset anybody they encounter. If you've worked in retail you'll know this.

The Irish neutrality thing has always been a botched version designed to make money and not spend any. I think it's a fantastic policy (bar the Nazi stuff, I suppose). Shannon would be closed by now if they hadn't secured the US Army deal. It's not like rejecting their money would have stopped their war effort so I say grab the money and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Making a fuss about a few US troops crashing a wedding really isn't quite getting to the point.

Exactly. They have been coming here for quite sometime now and just because they attend a wedding does not mean its a even clearer breach of our neutrality.

palaver wrote: »

What if some Eastern European or Nigerian soldiers had "gatecrashed" the wedding? Would've everybody cheered? I don't think so.

Besides, in a supposedly neutral country it's a breach of law for foreign soldiers in uniform walking around in public.

"American Express is accepted here", there would be no reason for any other nationality of troops to appear in Shannon, only US, because of Ireland's strategic position on the fringe of the Atlantic, its the ideal air way petrol station.

In regards to the legality of troops visible in public, they are confined to the hotel and have strict orders not to leave that area. They were invited into the party, so they were not trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Didnt De Valera send flowers and a letter of condolence to the German people on hearing of Hitlers death? The man responsible for the most heinous crimes against humanity ever and Eamonn sends him flowers on behalf of the Irish people.
    Twat..

Truth is, we should have stood up and fought in WW2(the only just war) but I digress...

As regards the US soldiers, I cant see the problem. Seemed like they were invited, behaved themselves, drank minerals too. They were probaly bored out of their mind being stuck in a Clare hotel for 2 nights, heh.

Also, I think we are as racist as any other country, in fact probably a bit more. I was moving equipment after a gig last night and this drunken ape staggered out and just f**kin screamed abuse into a Rumanian girl beggar's face. Now I know that they may be no saints either but this was unprovoked.

Cead mile failte:rolleyes:

"American Express is accepted here", there would be no reason for any other nationality of troops to appear in Shannon, only US, because of Ireland's strategic position on the fringe of the Atlantic, its the ideal air way petrol station.

You are missing the point. Has nothing to do with American Express. But guess what: Eastern Europeans and Nigerians and every other foreigner with a bank account might have an Amex-card.
    Why do you think only the US has a right to roam the highways of Ireland? What about, say, Lebanese soldiers on their way to Iceland? They might want to stop over in Shannon. ;)

But then, the Irish have a history to welcome the oddest strangers:
    zeppe wrote: »
    Didnt De Valera send flowers and a letter of condolence to the German people on hearing of Hitlers death? The man responsible for the most heinous crimes against humanity ever and Eamonn sends him flowers on behalf of the Irish people.
    Twat..

True. But that shows only how far neutrality goes. De Valera, and not just him, liked the Nazis because they bombed the English. 800 years and the enemy of my enemy is my friend and blah.

Maybe if the Nigerians would start a bomb campaign in England ... :rolleyes::D

zeppe wrote: »
    Also, I think we are as racist as any other country, in fact probably a bit more. I was moving equipment after a gig last night and this drunken ape staggered out and just f**kin screamed abuse into a Rumanian girl beggar's face. Now I know that they may be no saints either but this was unprovoked.

Cead mile failte:rolleyes:

You find racism in every country. People are clannish everywhere, especially when there are economic troubles looming. Pople are welcome as long as they spend money or contribute to your own economy. When things go belly-up, they are a hate-target. It's not an exclusive Irish thing, but has some nasty undertones over here. Being a foreigner is rarely of any advantage, not in everyday life. I should know. I am a foreigner in Ireland and I feel the change of attitude.

Anyway. I don't condemn the young lads being invited to a wedding. But what could the wedding party do when they hang around with longing puppy eyes? But they were still in uniform which made them part of an army not individuals. That's the difference.

I do condemn though the not very intelligent line that Eastern Europeans and Nigerians destroyed the 1000 welcomes of the Irish. Blame the others, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

THE actions of dozens of US troops who ‘gate-crashed’ a wedding in Clare last week, have been criticised by a leading anti-war campaigner who has described the matter as another clear breach of Irish neutrality.
    The incident occurred at the Clare Inn Hotel near Newmarket-on-Fergus last Wednesday where almost 300 troops stayed for two nights after the aircraft on which they were travelling to Iraq was grounded at Shannon Airport by technical problems.
    After wandering into the function room where the wedding reception was being hosted, they were allowed to stay and enjoy the festivities despite the best efforts of their commanding officer to remove them from the hall.
    One wedding guest said, “The soldiers were around the hotel all day. We saw them walking around the grounds, chatting in groups outside and in the bar but we were surprised when they came in to the wedding that night.
    “You could see that some guests were very uncomfortable with the soldiers being there, especially wearing their uniforms. But they were in great form and seemed to enjoy themselves.”
    Retired Irish army officer and international secretary of the Peace and Neutrality Alliance, Dr Edward Horgan, has described the actions of US troops as highly inappropriate.
    “Again we see how the Irish and US Governments blatantly breach Irish neutrality. Ireland continues to participate in a foreign war and it is highly inappropriate that US soldiers would appear in an Irish hotel or in Shannon Airport in uniform. Remember, the US has a reputation for gate-crashing weddings. They have bombed wedding parties in Afghanistan and killed dozens of people,” Dr Horgan said.
    Troops are regularly accommodated in local hotels if an aircraft suffers technical issues while en route to or from the US. Personnel are not allowed leave the vicinity of the hotel where they are staying but have in the past breached the rule.
    When contacted yesterday (Monday), the hotel declined to comment on the matter.

US-soldiers-at-wedding.jpg

BTW: I don't mind US troops using Shannon or even using our hotels, they are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. After all "Ceade mile a failte", what ever happened to that phrase? This article came from the Clare people and just shows you the tabloid quality of newspaper they really are. Very biased commentary by the writer indeed. They only heard from one side of this arguement and failed to actually ask the bride and groom, who it turns out invited them. This was very nice of them to do this and I can imagine it was a great wedding to have.

Bit of a non-story all right. Looks like Atomic Chicken were playing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Indeed it was Atomic Chicken and yes a non-story. They were invited in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I highly commend the married couple for inviting them in and that wedding maybe the last bit of fun some of those guys may ever enjoy in their lives. They are young guys and going out there fighting for Democracy, I really think this attitude of our Neutrality and whether they wear uniforms or not is baloney.

They are American citizens and whether Military or Citizen they are welcome to come to Ireland in my book and stay as long as they want. The Lefties don't get it that Americans are our friends and have contributed so much to Ireland accepting our immigrants and troublesome students in recent years. The Irish may have built America but the Americans built the Ireland we know today. The visit of Bill Clinton was an episode I will never ever forget.

They are innocent young fellas going through an airport and should be given every help and assistance of welcome Ireland can give during their brief stay here.

God Bless Ireland and God Bless America

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I highly commend the married couple for inviting them in and that wedding maybe the last bit of fun some of those guys may ever enjoy in their lives. They are young guys and going out there fighting for Democracy, I really think this attitude of our Neutrality and whether they wear uniforms or not is baloney.

They are American citizens and whether Military or Citizen they are welcome to come to Ireland in my book and stay as long as they want. The Lefties don't get it that Americans are our friends and have contributed so much to Ireland accepting our immigrants and troublesome students in recent years. The Irish may have built America but the Americans built the Ireland we know today. The visit of Bill Clinton was an episode I will never ever forget.

They are innocent young fellas going through an airport and should be given every help and assistance of welcome Ireland can give during their brief stay here.

God Bless Ireland and God Bless America

Darling, I've had the laugh of tonight! :D
    Fighting for Democracy .... the last bit of laugh they had (so you do expect them to be cannon fudder?).. what does that say about you?
    Democracy in this sense is shooting around the world and prove to be superior?

But wait. Americans have free reign in Ireland whatever they do? I understand. They don't shoot the Irish. Just those "rag heads" in some place beyound the Irish-Pub-Empire?

The Americans aren't your friends. They contributed to this country as long as this country was willing to do as they pleased. As the English (in the past, 800 years and blah). They just use you for their profits, if it is 800 or 8 years. They move one as soon as your are not useful anymore. Dell, anyone?

The young fellows are not innocent. They are brutalized and trained to kill.
    Get real.

And god has nothing to do with it.

Darling, I've had the laugh of tonight! :D
    Fighting for Democracy .... the last bit of laugh they had (so you do expect them to be cannon fudder?).. what does that say about you?
    Democracy in this sense is shooting around the world and prove to be superior?

But wait. Americans have free reign in Ireland whatever they do? I understand. They don't shoot the Irish. Just those "rag heads" in some place beyound the Irish-Pub-Empire?

The Americans aren't your friends. They contributed to this country as long as this country was willing to do as they pleased. As the English (in the past, 800 years and blah). They just use you for their profits, if it is 800 or 8 years. They move one as soon as your are not useful anymore. Dell, anyone?

Get real.

Well if any of them could have the misfortune to be killed and they are entitled to have but of fun like the rest of us. They are fighting to enforce Democracy and to give the next generation to chance to grow up in the same peace and freedom we enjoy today.

Shooting "rag heads" come off it, Civilians are never targeted deliberately and most of their enemies are brutal terrorists who would think nothing of cutting of the head of an Irish person or any other nationality for that matter. The Americans are our friends and I beg to differ, our economy has benefited and continues to from US investment and trade relations, Irish companies sell alot to the US and vice versa.

Brutalised, trained to kill?? They are soldiers and have seen horrors people could not imagine, they are still some mothers sons and daughters, they have families and brothers and sisters, by your analogy being a Soldier makes you some sort of sub human animal not worth the dirt on your shoe, these guys have their lives on the line so that people like you have the freedom to criticise them and complain.

They are patriots not only of the US but of any country that enjoys Democracy and freedom like we do. If it was my father or son or daughter I would love the same to be done for them; I would rather have them at any future wedding I'd have than someone who belittles people and are myopic enough to think America is not our friend. BTW, Indymedia and Shell to Sea called one of theirs is missing anyone see a leftie yankee basher lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

These guys are and around Dromoland a good bit, and they are very nice, such lovely people, and oh so young. It's so sad that they're going back to America with no job prospects whatsoever... So what that couple did is so cool. That made me smile :)

Also, the American troops are woth €20 mil a year to Shannon. I'd nearly sell my soul for that much, never mind my neutrality.

Jay P wrote: »
    Also, the American troops are woth €20 mil a year to Shannon. I'd nearly sell my soul for that much, never mind my neutrality.

So you approve that soldiers go out to kill and be killed just that Ireland makes a profit? No wonder that Ireland is going downhill, and with it the famed 1000 Welcomes: Go out and kill as long as we make a few millions? Jayze .... :eek:

Irland apparantly did sell her soul for money. And where did it leave her? Tell me.

Get real.

Brutalized? You've watched too many Vietnam movies, more than once Full Metal Jacket I'd say. You could not be more wrong with your choice of words in this case. They are not conscripted into the army and if they didn't like the harsh paces they have been put through in training most of them would be out of it by now. Having completed their training they are now more of a man then they ever have been. I have talked with some of them and they are pure gentlemen, showing courtesy and respect to themselves and others. Altough you were right about been trained to kill, THEY ARE SOLDIERS AFTERALL! :rolleyes:

Lets not forget that they are at war with Islamic hardcore AK47 toting mofos, who if they could would show no mercy to even us neutral Irish if they got their hands on us. You do know these people want to rid the world of the non-believers.

If we had taken sides during WW2, and if Hitler had invaded Ireland can you imagine what he would have done to us? :eek: Been neutral then was the only bargining chip De Velara had with the Nazis if they did decide to invade.

But these koaran twarting nut jobs will not think any differently of us if they decide to come after the Irish. In their eyes the only excuse they need to kill you is if you don't worship Allah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

netwhizkid wrote: »

Nobody should be commended for inviting Atomic Chicken to play their wedding whatever the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

what if 300 members of the Taliban were staying in your hotel and wandered into the wedding? And they were personable, and looked like they were enjoying themselves... remember, Ireland welcomed and accommadated many German troops/exiles after WW2, and back then they were 'the enemy'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

BTW: I don't mind US troops using Shannon or even using our hotels, they are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. After all "Ceade mile a failte", what ever happened to that phrase? This article came from the Clare people and just shows you the tabloid quality of newspaper they really are. Very biased commentary by the writer indeed. They only heard from one side of this arguement and failed to actually ask the bride and groom, who it turns out invited them. This was very nice of them to do this and I can imagine it was a great wedding to have.[/quote]

Who wrote the story for The Clare People? Was it a Gordon Deegan syndicated piece or a staff person?

Teadrinker wrote: »

Who wrote the story for The Clare People? Was it a Gordon Deegan syndicated piece or a staff person?

It didnt say. It came off the website but might be in the printed version, which I wouldnt waste my €2 on. The editor must like scoops, shame on him for not getting another prespective. BTW the Lyons family aka owners of the queens own this newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

It didnt say. It came off the website but might be in the printed version, which I wouldnt waste my €2 on. The editor must like scoops, shame on him for not getting another prespective. BTW the Lyons family aka owners of the queens own this newspaper.

Actually its just one of them, sean lyne that owns half of it along with another guy donal slattery. but i dont see what that has to do with anything...
    Local newspapers will print almost anything just to fill space even non-stories like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Turns out that the story was written by Pat Flynn.

So you approve that soldiers go out to kill and be killed just that Ireland makes a profit? No wonder that Ireland is going downhill, and with it the famed 1000 Welcomes: Go out and kill as long as we make a few millions? Jayze .... :eek:

Irland apparantly did sell her soul for money. And where did it leave her? Tell me.

Considering this is keeping Shannon Airport open, and thus keeping thousands of jobs alive (including many people I know), I think it's quite reasonable. This doesn't mean I support this "War of Terror", it just means I'm glad they're stopping here instead of some other place. Just because we make a few quid from these lads doesn't automatically mean we are keeping the war going. Many other airports would gladly step in and relieve us of our duties.

Shannon has always been the landing spot for unusual planes and in unusual situations. Shannon airport has been a lifesaver for so many aircraft stricken on their way to and from America and Europe. Not to mention, Shannon has been landing US military planes since it opened, well before 911. It has always landed stricken US military planes in the past, it even landed an F14 fighter jet back in the 80s which started leaking fuel over the Atlantic.

If the government gave into the demands of a few hippies harping on about us killing the children of Iraq, then the US would go "OK no problem, we can go to Northern Ireland for a stop over in the future, its no big deal, they are our allies so you shouldnt have anything to worry about". Thats more money going across the border then, never mind the retail sector's damage to the economy. Thats what happned in WW2, when Dev refused to allow planes land in the republic, and Churchill mocked him for it, but Dev got his own back later.:cool:

Shannon has always been the landing spot for unusual planes and in unusual situations. Shannon airport has been a lifesaver for so many aircraft stricken on their way to and from America and Europe. Not to mention, Shannon has been landing US military planes since it opened, well before 911. It has always landed stricken US military planes in the past, it even landed an F14 fighter jet back in the 80s which started leaking fuel over the Atlantic.

If the government gave into the demands of a few hippies harping on about us killing the children of Iraq, then the US would go "OK no problem, we can go to Northern Ireland for a stop over in the future, its no big deal, they are our allies so you shouldnt have anything to worry about". Thats more money going across the border then, never mind the retail sector's damage to the economy. Thats what happned in WW2, when Dev refused to allow planes land in the republic, and Churchill mocked him for it, but Dev got his own back later.:cool:

Afaik, it was on a list of places for shuttles to emergency land because the runway is so long.

Jay P wrote: »
    Afaik, it was on a list of places for shuttles to emergency land because the runway is so long.

Was the M1 Motorway from North to South also designed with this in mind or else to be used as an RAF Runway strip in case of a Soviet attack during the cold war?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yeah, Shannon used to be the place that the shuttle was to land if it over shot, now I think they aim for Africa (no not Ennis :D) I remember going to the Air Show in Shannon, must have been around 1990, and they had a Galaxy class air transport vehicle that everyone was walking through, if I remember correctly they had what was being transported next to it (tanks and the likes), no one said anything, in fact it was 1 of the highlights of the day.

Whereas I think people have the right to protest and have the right to have their opinion on what's right and what's wrong, they shoudn't be impacting on other people's lively hoods by expressing the same, the fact of the matter is there is an awful lot of jobs in the locality a direct result of the US using Shannon as a stop over base, I know the almighty dollar doesn't cure all ills, but it's not as if it's the first time the US has used Ireland (and lets be honest we use them a whole lot more)

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »

Whereas I think people have the right to protest and have the right to have their opinion on what's right and what's wrong, they shoudn't be impacting on other people's lively hoods by expressing the same QUOTE]

Asd long as they don't go at military planes with spray paint and hatchets, I couldn't care less what the protest peacefully about, we need them

Anyone ever seen Team America: World Police? You've got your dicks, your pussies and your assholes in the world, and by god do the dicks need pussies.

Advertisement