Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare wedding crashed by US military troops

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is it time for the Team America secret signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

A lot of the stopovers in shannon are on their way over to afghanistan,
    These young men are going to a war through no fault of their own.Unfortunatly some may never make the return journey home.
    What harm is done by distracting them from what lies ahead ,.
    i'm sure that many an american parent who lost their son would find comfort to hear that he got to enjoy a night in an irish pub on his way over.
    Give these guys a break ,It may be the last break they ever get....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forgot that the American army is 1 of the biggest employer over there, and a lot of the people in the army wouldn't have any opportunity to find work, but in the Army they are getting an education, a training as well as an opportunity to see the world. At the moment they are in a conflict, but for many years they weren't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Clareman wrote: »
    Yeah, Shannon used to be the place that the shuttle was to land if it over shot, now I think they aim for Africa (no not Ennis :D) I remember going to the Air Show in Shannon, must have been around 1990, and they had a Galaxy class air transport vehicle that everyone was walking through, if I remember correctly they had what was being transported next to it (tanks and the likes), no one said anything, in fact it was 1 of the highlights of the day.

I remember that myself, although i was very young, I vividly remember the Galaxy and walking through it. I don't know why, but myself and all the other kids were running around gettin autographs from the pilots like they were 'celebrities'!

Simpler times eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

THE actions of dozens of US troops who ‘gate-crashed’ a wedding in Clare last week, have been criticised by a leading anti-war campaigner who has described the matter as another clear breach of Irish neutrality.
    The incident occurred at the Clare Inn Hotel near Newmarket-on-Fergus last Wednesday where almost 300 troops stayed for two nights after the aircraft on which they were travelling to Iraq was grounded at Shannon Airport by technical problems.
    After wandering into the function room where the wedding reception was being hosted, they were allowed to stay and enjoy the festivities despite the best efforts of their commanding officer to remove them from the hall.
    REALLY!!!??? What kind of Commanding Officer was he? Soldiers disobeying orders? No wonder they got ass kicked in Iraq, and now Afghanistan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

AMIIAM wrote: »
    THE actions of dozens of US troops who ‘gate-crashed’ a wedding in Clare last week, have been criticised by a leading anti-war campaigner who has described the matter as another clear breach of Irish neutrality.
    The incident occurred at the Clare Inn Hotel near Newmarket-on-Fergus last Wednesday where almost 300 troops stayed for two nights after the aircraft on which they were travelling to Iraq was grounded at Shannon Airport by technical problems.
    After wandering into the function room where the wedding reception was being hosted, they were allowed to stay and enjoy the festivities despite the best efforts of their commanding officer to remove them from the hall.
    REALLY!!!??? What kind of Commanding Officer was he? Soldiers disobeying orders? No wonder they got ass kicked in Iraq, and now Afghanistan!

Your cheap point scoring is based on an untruth but, no doubt, that won't worry you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Your cheap point scoring is based on an untruth but, no doubt, that won't worry you!

Agreed. I mean what sort of an editor would put something as juvinile like that in the newspaper. Can you imagine the luitenant trying to hoard them back with his handbag?! The image of drunken soldiers disobeying orders is like something out of a father ted episode. When the soldiers eventually get around to reading this story they will think we are right micks altogether. And the Clarepeople is liable for that now... I wouldnt like to be sued by the Pentagon!

All in all we shouldn't be surprised !
    The Clare People is well known for it's tabloid journalism.
    Also considering that the lynes family have a share in it they could
    not resist having a pop at a competing hotel.
    Gutter Journalism and nothing else...............

Agreed. I mean what sort of an editor would put something as juvinile like that in the newspaper. Can you imagine the luitenant trying to hoard them back with his handbag?! The image of drunken soldiers disobeying orders is like something out of a father ted episode. When the soldiers eventually get around to reading this story they will think we are right micks altogether. And the Clarepeople is liable for that now... I wouldnt like to be sued by the Pentagon!

Come on, what is it with you and The Clare People? They used this story but then so did The Irish Times and possibly other newspapers did also but it all got swifty turned on its head. Who knows, maybe there were certain editors on holidays and some closet Indymedia Ireland types in charge of the shop? It'll be many a long day again before they leave all the quotes to Dr. Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Great Conspiracy Theory! Hilarious.......I suppose you believe the moon landing was actually filmed in a Hanger in Area 51 as well. :rolleyes:

Lazy Mistake by the journalist involved and the Editors but nothing to do with attacking the good name of the Clare Inn. They gave alot of advertising revenue to the Clare People over the years and I cannot imagine in this environment they would go out of their way to attack an advertiser.

• Advertisement

The very same paper reported on a grievence claim between a chef and the west county two years ago.
    Turned out the chef worked in lynches limerick hotel.
    Just another small mistake by the lynnes family towards a local competing hotel.
    Paper never refused ink.............

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Jay P wrote: »
    Many other airports would gladly step in and relieve us of our duties.

Leipzig.

Ever since that nuisance with the hatchet at Shannon, two of the three airlines which used to use Shannon as a base of operations moved to Germany saying that the potential expenses just weren't worth the risk. Just ATA is left, I believe.
    Besides, in a supposedly neutral country it's a breach of law for foreign soldiers in uniform walking around in public.

The law has exceptions written into it. The Minister can waive it upon request. Buddy of mine is in the Irish military, if he ever gets married, I'm intending to seek such a waiver for to attend in uniform. Such a waiver has been granted for US troops in the vicinity of Shannon.

Which reminds me: Available. Mid-30s Limerick man. Loves guns.

As for being brutalised, I did study law in UCD. That was horrible. Put me right off being a lawyer. Worse yet,... I read Peig. <shudder>

NTM

You read Peig and you are in the army, you must have been trying out for the SEALs were you (torture training)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

It should worry you though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

The Clare people is an awful freggin snot rag.

I used to buy it for GAA reports. It would look ok at first glance if you were reading a report of a match you weren't at. But if you read a report of a match that you were at, you would be horrified at the number of inaccuracies. Wrong, scorers, wrong positions, wrong names.... Why bother doing it at all if you're just going to throw down anything to fill teh page.

Utter utter rag

Come on, what is it with you and The Clare People?

Like the TV3 of newspapers basically. Big thick paper, you think your getting great value for money and as soon as you open it, its full of full page ads galore. Ads everywhere! Just like TV3!

maybe some people like to buy ads, and thats OK, but it aint my thing to waste €2 on utter tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

Yeah i bet the Lynes set this whole thing up, they probably sabotaged the plane in shannon and the wedding party were a group of paid actors!!!:P

I bet they write every story too....just like mickey lynch makes every bed and cooks every meal in the west county!!!.....get a grip
    Are you totally off your rocker? :pac:

Have a look at any issue of the clare people and the lynches are probably the biggest advertisers in it. They'd want to be really really stupid to attack one of the biggest business's in town.

BTW, this was also reported in the Irish Times, but then again its probably just Anthony O Reilly pissed off cause he got a bad cup of coffee in the west....:D

Like the TV3 of newspapers basically. Big thick paper, you think your getting great value for money and as soon as you open it, its full of full page ads galore. Ads everywhere! Just like TV3!

maybe some people like to buy ads, and thats OK, but it aint my thing to waste €2 on utter tripe.

The days of ads galore are long gone for every newspaper in the land - as you'd know if you actually read any. And the C People costs Euro 1.80. The girls on Xposé have your head addled!

fergusman wrote: »
    Yeah i bet the Lynes set this whole thing up, they probably sabotaged the plane in shannon and the wedding party were a group of paid actors!!!:P

I bet they write every story too....just like mickey lynch makes every bed and cooks every meal in the west county!!!.....get a grip
    Are you totally off your rocker? :pac:

Have a look at any issue of the clare people and the lynches are probably the biggest advertisers in it. They'd want to be really really stupid to attack one of the biggest business's in town.

BTW, this was also reported in the Irish Times, but then again its probably just Anthony O Reilly pissed off cause he got a bad cup of coffee in the west....:D

I reckon THE SUN or THE MIRROR would be a challenge for you .:D

The days of ads galore are long gone for every newspaper in the land - as you'd know if you actually read any. And the C People costs Euro 1.80. The girls on Xposé have your head addled!

Maybe you should go work for the Clare People, becuase your good at writing lots of shhiite

• Advertisement

Maybe you should go work for the Clare People, becuase your good at writing lots of shhiite

And lose you as a reader? No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

croker95 wrote: »
    Whether you agree with the Conflict they are involved in or not, these are just young guys doing a job. They were invited in by the Bride's Father (http://www.herald.ie/national-news/stranded-us-troops-were-guests-not-gatecrashers-say-newlyweds-1838795.html), drank minerals for a few hours and got to experience an irish wedding.

I've met them a few times travelling through Shannon Airport and its scary how young most of these guys are.

Don't forget how dumb they are. Sad fact of the matter is most of the soldiers going over to fight are your typical "trailer trash" kids. No jobs, no hope, no brain so they get rounded up to sign for the Army.

Go and fight a war you understand nothing about. Do your country proud soldiers. Applaud them on their way. Bury them or forget them when they come back. Bravo boys, bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

I reckon THE SUN or THE MIRROR would be a challenge for you .:D

wow what a comeback (i see you found caps lock, not bad for an oul fella)..... i'm devastated, youre so obviously not the philistine I thought you were!! :D.
    i didnt think anyone who buys the sun can read, although page 3 saved many a mans sanity if not the ligaments in his right hand!!! ;)

Warper wrote: »
    Don't forget how dumb they are. Sad fact of the matter is most of the soldiers going over to fight are your typical "trailer trash" kids. No jobs, no hope, no brain so they get rounded up to sign for the Army.

Go and fight a war you understand nothing about. Do your country proud soldiers. Applaud them on their way. Bury them or forget them when they come back. Bravo boys, bravo.

Atleast they go to work, unlike most of our own "trailer trash" over here.

Whats wrong with been rounded up into the army if you have no other hopes?

Do you think they should draw dole and be altogether wasters for their lives? Is it just the US army you think are dumb, because I know plenty of Irish soldiers that would like to hear your view on their background and inteligence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sad fact of the matter is most of the soldiers going over to fight are your typical "trailer trash" kids. No jobs, no hope, no brain so they get rounded up to sign for the Army.

That's about as far from the truth as you're going to get. Not-often-known fact: The US Army consists of the top 7% of people in the US: 93% of the US population in the right age bracket are ineligble for entry into the US Army due to physical, educational or moral reasons. Now, that doesn't say anything good about the state of the US people as a whole, but you'll find that the average American soldier tends to be middle-class.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

These soldiers would have seen the scariest thing in their life:
    An Irish wedding in full flow, with everyone pissed out of their brains.
    If that doesn't scare you (especially when you're sober), nothing else will.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The phrase that really slays me here is "Irish Neutrality".
    Wha?
    It all goes back to Eamon DeValera, who prevented Irish reunification, twice, and stabbed Michael Collins in the back.
    When asked to let British and US troops to use Ireland as a base in WWII, he was "neutral".
    When asked to accept Jewish refugees he was "neutral" (or, we don't want that dirty lot here, i.e., they don't have money, why should we help, also known as the Irish welcome)
    But when Nazi war criminals wanted to disappear, Ireland was only too happy to oblige, since A: they had money and B: an enemy of the Brits is our friend.
    This was with the knowledge and help of FF, who then lied to the Allied countries if they knew of the whereabouts of Nazi war criminals.
    Letting the Americans use Shannon to transport prisoners for torture somewhere else because of all those lovely, shiny Dollars does not constitute neutrality.
    Neutral here only means "we have about 2 Sopwith Camel airplanes and one boat and therefore cannot make a difference in a foreign conflict, but if you throw us a few coins, we'll sort you out no questions asked"
    Making a fuss about a few US troops crashing a wedding really isn't quite getting to the point.

I read this, and i want to smack my head against the table.

When asked to let British and US troops to use Ireland as a base in WWII, he was "neutral".

So lets ignore the Allied Airmen that crash landed here "mysteriouly" ending up across the boarder, while their german counterparts spent the war in the curragh
    When asked to accept Jewish refugees he was "neutral" (or, we don't want that dirty lot here, i.e., they don't have money, why should we help, also known as the Irish welcome)
    It is heartening to note de Valera's successful intervention to bring nearly 150 refugee Jewish children to Ireland in 1948, against the advice of the still uncooperative Department of Justice and with apparently muted support from the Jewish Representative Council. In 1952 he again overrode Justice to admit five Orthodox families who were fleeing the Communists. In 1966, the Dublin Jewish community arranged the planting and dedication of the Eamon de Valera Forest in Israel, near Nazareth, in recognition of his consistent support for Ireland's Jews.

(link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

He let in 150 Jews as a token gesture, but refused any more, because they wouldn't "fit in".
    Also, Ireland did harbour German Nazi war criminals, one might have caught the internet, newspaper, radio and television coverage of a TV series entitled "Ireland's Nazis".
    As per:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-devs-ireland-became-safe-haven-for-fugitive-nazis-120588.html

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/04/04/story837086409.asp

http://www.rte.ie/tv/hiddenhistory/irelandsnazis.html

and

http://www.politics.ie/history/10859-irelands-nazis.html

True, one would be wise to be wary of Churchill's promise of unity if the Irish helped the English in the war effort, but Ireland's neutrality has always leant a little bit too far towards "who has money or is against the brits"

And I would like to add that this is not a reflection on the Irish people, this is after all an article about soldiers who where kindly invited to join
    the party. And other countries have lousy governments too, the Italians excel at this, but this is all about just how "neutral" we really are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

This thread seems to have gone slightly off the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahmed.baher

Not too much I think, to me the core of the argument seems to be Irish neutrality,
    is it about as real as the yeti, or does it indeed exist?
    This, however would indeed be off the point:
    http://www.easy-strawberry-recipes.com/strawberry-cheesecake-recipes.html
    :cool:

Advertisement