Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freespace 2

Options
  • 01-08-2009 2:25am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, so i noticed a few people mentioning Freespace 2 in their missed classics, and it made me want to play it again. The newest version of Fso has also been released, which makes the game look pretty damn good. So i reinstalled it, and remembered just why its one of the best games i've ever played.

If anyone does want to play it, it's available on Good Old Games (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/freespace_2) for $5.99. Its definitly worth it. I also found a great walkthrough for installing the Open Source Project. I had issues with it the last time i tried it, but it worked perfectly for me this time. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open#Step_Two:_Getting_the_Launcher

So, now's your chance to play the last (and best) true space flight sim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This game is extraordinary and should be played by anyone who enjoys the following:

- Dramatic, mature storylines of massive scale and exquisite pacing.
    - Big spaceships.
    - Gigantic fucking spaceships that are so intimidating a single tear shall roll down your cheek (Think Wormtongue when he first sees the army that will assault Helmsdeep)
    - Superb voice acting.
    - Exciting gameplay.
    - Beautiful, atmospheric sound effects.
    - BEAMS! No one does capital ship collossal energy beam combat like Freespace 2.

Word of warning! The controls are quite complex, try not to be intimidated by them, most of them aren't very important and the tutorials are fairly quick and thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Joystick essential?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Joystick essential?

you can use a 360 pad if you must. tinker around with it a bit. you can use the right analogue stick as a throttle.

but yes, freespace is teh win. finished it again with the gravis i got before i went away. the nebula missions are still class

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Joystick essential?
    Essential like foreplay to sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How do you mean "the newset version of FSo has been released"...what exactly is that if youll pardon my ignorance

• Advertisement

Freespace Open. Volition released the source code a few years ago because they no longer have rights to make Freespace games. FSO builds on top of the original game with a bunch of new Graphics effects and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Overheal wrote: »
    Essential like foreplay to sex.

Grand, I'll get along without it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Joystick essential?

No not at all. I never use joysticks. Awful things. I've always used a keyboard and mouse for Freespace 2 with no problems.

God I didn't even think of joysticks. NO JOYSTICK REQUIRED THEY'RE GAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Why did they never make Freespace 3?

silvine wrote: »
    Why did they never make Freespace 3?
    As above ^ - they lost the rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

What kind of specs do u need to play this? Would it run on a pretty standard laptop even with the updated graphics? I'm guessing it will since its 10 years old.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, it should run grand on most recent laptops. The graphical changes shouldnt make much of a dent on modern hardware.

Advertisement