Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 International Texting Issues...

• 01-08-2009 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I just switched to o2 so I could specifically use their free international webtext....however after sending over 11 msgs today to the same number (all of which are in the correct 001 format) not one of them has delivered. The network I'm trying to text is Verizon-which according to their website is paired with vodafone and o2 to send/receive texts. When I was meteor, the Verizon number was unable to text my meteor number back.
    So I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this or any recommendations? Whats worse is that all the webtexts say they have delivered, so I'm waiting around for a reply like a tit!!
    Typical!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We had someone in store with this during the week. Looking up the system our end, the texts had gone to the network in the states successfully, but not been passed to the subscriber correctly. In otherwords, the problem was stateside.

The reccomendation was for the party in the USA to contact their provider to try and figure out where it had got lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Thanks for that!! Very prompt reply! Ill try texting some other US numbers and see if there are similar problems. I'll be devastated if it is on the US networks end-because the person who owns the phone hasn't a clue!! So if I even broached the subject, it would be met with a very very long silence!
    Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens-DAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Did you try +1 instead of 001 as most of them dont go thorough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

o2 deliberately thwart the outbound number (Caller ID, if you like), to have 00 instead of +, as it should be. This makes it harder for most countries to reply to your text, and makes some networks block them completely. That could be what's happening here. I know I've never sent to the US successfully with o2 WebText.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

It's buried in the T&Cs that webtexts can only be sent to GSM networks. Verizon doesn't use GSM so you're out of luck. But you should have no problem texting from your phone, though it'll be 25c a go. The o2 forum had a topic about this a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

That explains it straightflush-thank you for sorting that out!! Uv saved me alot of hassle-looks like im goin back to vodafone now!

Advertisement