Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network for international calls/texts?

• 01-08-2009 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Switching networks soon and I contact someone in the U.S. on Verizon quite regularly, was wondering what network has the best rates etc

I heard Verizon were partnered (or something like that) with Vodafone or O2, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The cheapest online option is O2 international webtexts and Google Talk or Skype for calls.

The cheapest network operator rate for calls to us the USA is with Tesco Mobile at 50c a minute and no set up charge. The cheapest network operator rate is 20c with Tesco mobile for texts to the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Actually vOdafone texts are only 15c and the calls were alot less than 50c. I just switched to o2 yesterday so I could text a verizon number from the web. So far none of the messages have gone through and I'm raging!! Second of all, skype is 4.45e a month for unlimited mobile and landline calls. It's really good. You are able to text from skype for an extra 9ca MSG. If u want cheap calls comin the other way, try calleire.com. The toll free number makes it especially good for the person in the states. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.vodafone.ie/worldwide/index.jsp
    Whether you’re a Vodafone Prepay or Perfect Choice Pay Monthly customer you can relax when calling abroad, call the UK, USA, Poland, China, Brazil and 70 other countries direct from your mobile, anytime any day. There's no opt in required so keep in touch with your friends and family today.

USA: Landline:15c Mobile:15c Text:15c

Had no idea it was so cheap myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Its cheaper to call the states then it is to call another network in ireland with o2 on prepay!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Liquid155

Thanks for all the help guys, please keep it coming!

I'd mostly be texting, but when I call I'd like to be able to talk for an actual amount of time before running out of credit. I'd probably say cheaper calls are more important to me than cheaper texts.

I'm also not really interested in webtexts, so atm it's looking like Vodafone would be the best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

have you considered 13434.ie or something similar. Great value for calling. They have texting but its from online. You could use o2's international texts and use cabbage to send from your phone. http://cabbagetexter.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Liquid155

13434 looks interesting but does it work with mobiles or is it landline only?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I'd mostly be texting, but when I call I'd like to be able to talk for an actual amount of time before running out of credit. I'd probably say cheaper calls are more important to me than cheaper texts.

O2 and http://www.1call.ie
    20 mins to USA for 80c.

However webtexts only work to GSM services as noted elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Liquid155 wrote: »
    13434 looks interesting but does it work with mobiles or is it landline only?

It works from mobiles too yes, nut you will have to pay for the price of dialling the local call. Works best for people with free landline minutes

• Advertisement
Advertisement