Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major/Minor or Joint Major?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I'm going into my second year of arts in September and I'm trying to decide between a major in Linguistics with a minor in English or just a joint major and I'm having trouble deciding which to go with. I'm finding it difficult to find any information on what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. Can anybody help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm doing a joint major and as you'd probably expect, it's an even divide between two subjects.

I'd imagine major/minor is something like 1/3 + 2/3 split between two subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'm also going into 2nd year arts in september, and I'll be doing a joint major in archaeology and French (an unusual combo, i know!). I chose Joint major over major/minor because I enjoy both subjects equally.
    Also, in archaeology, you don't have to do a dissertation if you're doing a joint major; only if you're doing it as a full major or 30 credit major. For me, this seemed like a better option, as both subjects are already fairly heavy on the reading and essays. I figured it would make my life that little bit easier.
    I don't know if this applies to English or linguistics, but it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If you want to teach English, you cant with a minor, best to do a joint major, leaves open your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Liquid155

Thanks for the help guys, please keep it coming!

At the moment it really looks like a joint major would be the best option. Is there any real, clear advantage to a 30 Credit major with a minor apart from simply preferring one subject over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Can you do a masters i a subject area if you only done a minor in that subject? and what advantage does a 30 credit major have to a joint one?

• Advertisement

I would assume you can't, but then again I'm not sure. That's why I started this thread.

Can anyone tell me if there are any specific advantages to doing a 30 Credit major with a minor over a joint major?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Liquid155 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there are any specific advantages to doing a 30 Credit major with a minor over a joint major?

Easy marks. I'm pretty sure you get no electives with a 30/30 joint major right? With Major minor you get 2 electives a year giving you piss easy course option such as making a 100% poster class in Nursing, fitness or a bunch of the fairly easy introductory language courses. Massive degree boosters for some. I wasted mine on impossible interesting subjects though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you get no electives with a 30/30 joint major right?
    A joint major is 25/25 so there are two electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A joint major is 25/25 so there are two electives.
    Indeed that's what I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

ya but whats the disadvantages of a major to a minor?

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Just to get a bit of closure on this thread cause its gone on too long.

Do a single subject major if you really love a subject and want to pursue
    only this subject in postgraduate level.

if this is not possible( for whatever reason) not allowed thru omnibus entry etc . . .

Do a major/minor where you can do your favorite subject that you may wish
    to pursue to postgraduate level and minor in something that you dont mind doing alongside it.

the question of "can you do a postgrad course in a minor?" just annoys me.
    So all's i can say to that is . . . WHY??????

Do a joint major if you like two subjects equally and are indifferent about
    which one you may pursue to postgrad level but atleast youll have the option to do most masters in either subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

chave wrote: »

Possibly because:

1) It's good to know all your options.
    2) We're not all certain about what we want to do with our educational lives when we are 21/22 years old
    3) People make mistakes
    4) Not everyone who will do a masters pursues it upon leaving University. Therefore, people may have had experience in the intervening time that may lead them to want to postgrad in their minor subject.
    5) Most importantly and to slightly summarise...... People change their minds!

chave wrote: »
    Just to get a bit of closure on this thread cause its gone on too long.

Do a single subject major if you really love a subject and want to pursue
    only this subject in postgraduate level.

if this is not possible( for whatever reason) not allowed thru omnibus entry etc . . .

Do a major/minor where you can do your favorite subject that you may wish
    to pursue to postgraduate level and minor in something that you dont mind doing alongside it.

Do a joint major if you like two subjects equally and are indifferent about
    which one you may pursue to postgrad level but atleast youll have the option to do most masters in either subject.

Great help, thanks!

Advertisement